PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols upset about Angels' ad campaign

Fenway
02-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Pujols does not want to be called that as he worships Stan Musial

http://angels.ocregister.com/files/2012/02/Hombre2.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-pujols-unhappy-with-angels-el-hombre-billboards-20120222,0,2187415.story

spawn
02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, maybe he should've stayed in St. Louis.

#1swisher
02-22-2012, 03:55 PM
He didn't like the name in 2010.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/26/pujols-dont-call-me-el-hombre/

rockinrobin23
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
agree he should have stayed in st.louis Angels over paid.

doublem23
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
agree he should have stayed in st.louis Angels over paid.

I agree the Angels overpaid, but I don't see how that's incentive for him to stay in St. Louis.

DumpJerry
02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm sure the irony is lost on him.

Anyway, with her personal services contract in place, is he even allowed to acknowledge the existence of the Cardinals, City of St. Louis or the fact that he had a career in baseball before the 2012 season?

rockinrobin23
02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
the man got treated like a god in st louis, prob one of the best crowds in baseball that sea of red every game. Defending champs and they offered him 200mil was the extra 25 mil really gonna break you..its a shame he went for the money i lost of respect for him when he left st louis..most of my family is cards fans and he broke alot of hearts in that town..i personally dont get why you would leave..thats just me.

DumpJerry
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM
the man got treated like a god in st louis, prob one of the best crowds in baseball that sea of red every game. Defending champs and they offered him 200mil was the extra 25 mil really gonna break you..its a shame he went for the money i lost of respect for him when he left st louis..most of my family is cards fans and he broke alot of hearts in that town..i personally dont get why you would leave..thats just me.
Yeah, I don't get it, either. City built on a swamp with no night life vs. Southern California. Hard choice.

hi im skot
02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I don't get it, either. City built on a swamp with no night life vs. Southern California. Hard choice.

Do you think Albert Pujols actually cares about nightlife at this point in his life? Dude is married with kids, and doesn't exactly scream Hollywood.

TDog
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I agree the Angels overpaid, but I don't see how that's incentive for him to stay in St. Louis.

There would be a financial incentive for a player to play for a team that overpays him.

DumpJerry
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Do you think Albert Pujols actually cares about nightlife at this point in his life? Dude is married with kids, and doesn't exactly scream Hollywood.
Married with kids =/= a prison sentence or house arrest.

hi im skot
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm familiar with the equation. Pujols has never really been a guy to be out on the town or in the spotlight.

He probably would have played in Denver or St. Pete if either team threw the money at him.

DumpJerry
02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm familiar with the equation. Pujols has never really been a guy to be out on the town or in the spotlight.
I did not realize you're a personal acquaintance of his. Otherwise, how would you know this? Celebrities who are in the spotlight when they are out on the town are in the spotlight because their people let TMZ, etc. know where they are. Then they doth protest too hard when their pictures are taken. Celebrities who don't craze the attention also go out on the town, but their "schedule" is not leaked to the paparazzi.

Marqhead
02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I did not realize you're a personal acquaintance of his. Otherwise, how would you know this? Celebrities who are in the spotlight when they are out on the town are in the spotlight because their people let TMZ, etc. know where they are. Then they doth protest too hard when their pictures are taken. Celebrities who don't craze the attention also go out on the town, but their "schedule" is not leaked to the paparazzi.

His agent is one of the biggest sleazebags in sports. :gasonfire:

DSpivack
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Even if he's not doing anything stupid, people would still notice Albert Pujols going out.

That said, all of that is moot to me: there are millions of reasons why Albert is in Los Angeles of Anaheim, and I don't think nightlife is one of them.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Even if he's not doing anything stupid, people would still notice Albert Pujols going out.

That said, all of that is moot to me: there are millions of reasons why Albert is in Los Angeles of Anaheim, and I don't think nightlife is one of them.

Agreed with this and also agree with he staying in StL. I think he should have stayed there no doubt unless there is a family thing but I am guessing it was just $.

hi im skot
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM

DumpJerry - Celebrity Expert.

I assume you're a personal acquaintance of several celebrities? Otherwise, how would you know this?

doublem23
02-22-2012, 05:27 PM
There would be a financial incentive for a player to play for a team that overpays him.

...... Right that's the point I was making.

doublem23
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Absolutely, plenty of parents out at the club on a weeknight at 4 AM

DSpivack
02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Agreed with this and also agree with he staying in StL. I think he should have stayed there no doubt unless there is a family thing but I am guessing it was just $.

As if the vast majority of people would behave differently.

skobabe8
02-22-2012, 06:00 PM

He left because he wanted to leave.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
As if the vast majority of people would behave differently.

Which means what in this case? Money means a lot to me but the integrity of the game and myself means more when I am already making how much? If it was me, I would want to be the franchise player of a team (PK or Jeter or what Puljos could have done). Maybe it's how I was raised and my view of the game and what it means to me. Baseball, for myself, is not a get rich quick scheme.

hi im skot
02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Which means what in this case? Money means a lot to me but the integrity of the game and myself means more when I am already making how much? If it was me, I would want to be the franchise player of a team (PK or Jeter or what Puljos could have done). Maybe it's how I was raised and my view of the game and what it means to me. Baseball, for myself, is not a get rich quick scheme.

You'd turn down an extra $25 million to move to California to play a game?

It's funny you mention Jeter - he held the Yankees hostage last offseason to get a contract that was far more than he deserved, simply because he knew the Yankees would pay him.

Baseball is not a get-rich scheme for Pujols, Jeter, or Konerko - these guys have paid their dues for over a decade, and have an opportunity to get (likely) their last payday. These contracts will help pay for their kids to go to school and get financial security for themselves and the rest of their family.

It's fun to pretend like we're "better" than athletes who get boatloads of money thrown at them, but 99% of your average Joes aren't going to turn down huge sums of money to work for an employer who is desperate for their services.

Foulke You
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
I didn't follow the Pujols contract drama that closely but didn't the Angels offer him more years as well as a higher annual salary? I thought I had heard that STL only offered like 7 or 8 years. I also wonder if LaRussa's retirement also had anything to do with him leaving?

doublem23
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM

It's funny you mention Jeter - he held the Yankees hostage last offseason to get a contract that was far more than he deserved, simply because he knew the Yankees would pay him.

Baseball is not a get-rich scheme for Pujols, Jeter, or Konerko - these guys have paid their dues for over a decade, and have an opportunity to get (likely) their last payday. These contracts will help pay for their kids to go to school and get financial security for themselves and the rest of their family.

It's fun to pretend like we're "better" than athletes who get boatloads of money thrown at them, but 99% of your average Joes aren't going to turn down huge sums of money to work for an employer who is desperate for their services.

If there is only one thing that is upsetting about the whole Pujols saga it's that in 2009, Albert said that he wouldn't want to leave St. Louis for a few million dollars a year. He literally said that exact phrase (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090215&content_id=3833606&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl&partnerId=rss_stl). And then he goes and takes a deal with the Angels that's worth roughly $3-$4 million more than what the Cardinals offered him.

I'd never get on an athlete for taking the money. These guys only have a small window of their lives to make their livelihood, and as many have proven, some of these guys are absolute morons with their cash. This game is their job. But at least don't come out and say something and then do exactly what you'd said you wouldn't do. I know people change, things change, etc. but it makes you look like a ****ty ******* to say something and then do a 180 about-face 24 months later.

DSpivack
02-22-2012, 10:02 PM
If there is only one thing that is upsetting about the whole Pujols saga it's that in 2009, Albert said that he wouldn't want to leave St. Louis for a few million dollars a year. He literally said that exact phrase (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090215&content_id=3833606&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl&partnerId=rss_stl). And then he goes and takes a deal with the Angels that's worth roughly $3-$4 million more than what the Cardinals offered him.

I'd never get on an athlete for taking the money. These guys only have a small window of their lives to make their livelihood, and as many have proven, some of these guys are absolute morons with their cash. This game is their job. But at least don't come out and say something and then do exactly what you'd said you wouldn't do. I know people change, things change, etc. but it makes you look like a ****ty ******* to say something and then do a 180 about-face 24 months later.

If I were a player, and still had a similar life growing up as a Sox fan, I don't think $25 million would be worth it to stay with the Sox, as opposed to playing for, say, the Nationals or some random other team. Yes, professional athletes already make a lot of money, but that amount of money is still a lot of money.

WLL1855
02-22-2012, 10:06 PM
It boggles the mind that Pujols gets all the grief for leaving the team when the Cardinals management are the ones who put themselves in this position. They could have easily locked up Albert before the 2011 season began. Instead, the team hamfists the contract talks all winter and acts shocked when the Pujols camp ends negotiations when the season starts.

Why didn't Pujols resign with St. Louis? You'd have to ask him. I'll bet it was a combination of being taken for granted by the team for so long (in terms of his contract situation) and the fact that La Russa was on the way out the door as well. The Angels also pulled out all the stops for him too and they are clearly the team to beat in that division right now (that team is loaded with talent - they don't have enough spots in the lineup card to play all the good players - if they can just sit the old expensive outfielders and find time to play Trout, Bourjos, Morales, and Trumbo they will be solid.)

In any case, I've got no vested interest here outside of the six or so games he'll play against the White Sox. I sure can't fault the guy for going to play for the team he feels works best for him.

doublem23
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
If I were a player, and still had a similar life growing up as a Sox fan, I don't think $25 million would be worth it to stay with the Sox, as opposed to playing for, say, the Nationals or some random other team. Yes, professional athletes already make a lot of money, but that amount of money is still a lot of money.

And that's fine, I don't think any reasonable person would expect any different of you, like I said, the only ****ty thing about this whole situation is that Albert said he wouldn't leave the Cardinals over $3-$4 million more per year and then 20 months later did exactly that.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
He left because he wanted to leave.

Bingo. Maybe he felt he did everything he could do in Stl, maybe his wife/kids didn't want to live there anymore. Maybe something happened in the negotiations that soured him on the team. Who knows? But as far as losing respect for Albert, i lost that a long time ago. Once he started complaining about players showing up other players, while staring at every one of his home runs for 15 seconds at home plate, i lost all respect for him as a person.

TDog
02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
...... Right that's the point I was making.

I should have made it clearer that I was in agreement with you. WSI can be so adversarial that such things need to be spelled out explicitly.

Hendu
02-22-2012, 11:22 PM

He didn't say that staying in St. Louis was more important than a few mil per year, but that winning is more important. Remember that TLR retired before Pujols signed his new contract, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Pujols thought, in addition to the huge pay bump, the Angels have a better window of opportunity over the next few years than the new direction Cards.

doublem23
02-22-2012, 11:34 PM
He didn't say that staying in St. Louis was more important than a few mil per year, but that winning is more important. Remember that TLR retired before Pujols signed his new contract, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Pujols thought, in addition to the huge pay bump, the Angels have a better window of opportunity over the next few years than the new direction Cards.

from the link I provided...

"Do I want to be in St. Louis forever? Of course," Pujols said. "Because that city has opened the door to me and my family like no other city is ever going to do. I don't want to [go to] any other city, but if that time comes I'm pretty sure wherever I go they are going to do the same way -- hopefully, open the doors. But I don't think it's to be anything compared to St. Louis.

Hendu
02-22-2012, 11:44 PM
from the link I provided...

from the same link:

So why would you want to leave a place like St. Louis to go somewhere else and make $3 or $4 more million a year? It's not about the money. I already got my money. It's about winning and that's it. It's about accomplishing my goal and my goal is to try to win. If this organization shifts the other way then I have to go the other way.

TDog
02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
from the same link:

If the Cardinals are moving away from a winning direction, it has more to do with Puljos leaving than with LaRussa retiring.

doublem23
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
If the Cardinals are moving away from a winning direction, it has more to do with Puljos leaving than with LaRussa retiring.

Agreed

kittle42
02-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Eye. Roll.

I always love this crap, most frequently spewed from sports fans. $25 million is still $25 million even if you already have $200 million. You don't just turn that kind of money down.

ChiSoxFann
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Eye. Roll.

I always love this crap, most frequently spewed from sports fans. $25 million is still $25 million even if you already have $200 million. You don't just turn that kind of money down.

Agreed. He played his 11 years in St. Louis at a pretty discounted rate for the Cards. These players earn their chance at free agency and I don't fault any of them for taking the best deal offered to them.

palehozenychicty
02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Eye. Roll.

Exactly. It's about not being stupid at the end of the day.

Hendu
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Well no ****. But for Pujols, when you combine an extra 25 million with the fact that the only big league manager he's played for is being replaced by a rookie manager, and the Angels look to be better positioned than the Cards over the next few years with big bucks to spend, wouldn't that be the "out" he was talking about in his 2009 spring training interview? Doub is making it sound like Pujols said he'd stay with the Cardinals no matter what if the only difference was a few mil per year, but that's not the case.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Yes, I would turn that $ to go to a team I did not want to play for. And I was mad at Jeter for what he did too. At least he stayed. I am aware that $ means more than anything to most people.

On top of $, Puljos left because Tony let him do whatever he wanted so once Tony said bye, Albert didn't want to say unless perhaps the $ was equal or more.

Tree Hate Me
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
The guy won 2 rings in St. Louis. There is really nothing else to accomplish in that town.

This was as good a time as any to move to SoCal, and especially a deep Angels team with a proven manager.

-Dodgers are a mess
-Kobe is an aging veteran on a Laker team that will be lucky to go past the 1st round of the playoffs
-USC football is down
-still no NFL team in sight

Pujols is really only competing with Blake Griffin and the Clippers to be the top sports story/endorsement king in Los Angeles.

TDog
02-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Well no ****. But for Pujols, when you combine an extra 25 million with the fact that the only big league manager he's played for is being replaced by a rookie manager, and the Angels look to be better positioned than the Cards over the next few years with big bucks to spend, wouldn't that be the "out" he was talking about in his 2009 spring training interview? Doub is making it sound like Pujols said he'd stay with the Cardinals no matter what if the only difference was a few mil per year, but that's not the case.

The difference is the money.

The rest is rationalization.

Hendu
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
The difference is the money.

The rest is rationalization.

Bottom line - he did not lock himself into some "I'm staying in St. Louis 100% no matter what if it's only a few mil per year difference" deal. He had an out in his interview and he used it. He didn't do a 180 about face as Doub said. He gave the usual platitudes of any pending free agent, but left the ubiquitous it's about winning and the "direction of the franchise" clause in his interview.

The guy helped bring 2 rings to St. Louis and was paid below market value. Cardinals fans should be pretty satisfied, and I don't begrudge Pujols for going to a better situation for a lot more money.

TDog
02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Bottom line - he did not lock himself into some "I'm staying in St. Louis 100% no matter what if it's only a few mil per year difference" deal. He had an out in his interview and he used it. He didn't do a 180 about face as Doub said. He gave the usual platitudes of any pending free agent, but left the ubiquitous it's about winning and the "direction of the franchise" clause in his interview.

The guy helped bring 2 rings to St. Louis and was paid below market value. Cardinals fans should be pretty satisfied, and I don't begrudge Pujols for going to a better situation for a lot more money.

If you have no problem with Albert Puljos going for the money to the highest bidder in the other league, I really don't care. I just haven't seen any statements by Mr. Puljos that suggest any of the loftier motives put forth in this thread ever existed.

Hendu
02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
If you have no problem with Albert Puljos going for the money to the highest bidder in the other league, I really don't care. I just haven't seen any statements by Mr. Puljos that suggest any of the loftier motives put forth in this thread ever existed.

The other stuff he said is valid, though. He's going to a team with more money to spend in a better position than the Cards with a more stable managerial situation. Even if the money was equal, isn't this a step up over the next few years?

I know that TLR makes some glaring mistakes and isn't the most popular guy around here, but he has a great track record. The Cards then replace him with their version of Robin Ventura. Why the hell should Pujols feel all warm and fuzzy about the direction of the club?

TDog
02-24-2012, 01:45 AM
The other stuff he said is valid, though. He's going to a team with more money to spend in a better position than the Cards with a more stable managerial situation. Even if the money was equal, isn't this a step up over the next few years?

I know that TLR makes some glaring mistakes and isn't the most popular guy around here, but he has a great track record. The Cards then replace him with their version of Robin Ventura. Why the hell should Pujols feel all warm and fuzzy about the direction of the club?

The other stuff is rationalization for people who don't want to believe Puljos was being purely mercenary. You can come up with all sorts of things that are hypothetically valid, but Puljos has no sort of relationship with Scioscia. He is going to a different league where he doesn't know his competition very well if at all. The only thing you know for sure is that he went to the highest bidder.

It wasn't like he said other team(s) offered him more but he chose the Angels because he didn't want to play for a rookie manager in the organization that brought him up through their farm system and wanted to play for Mike Scioscia instead. If the money had been there, Puljos would be playing for Ozzie Guillen in Miami. And I have no doubt that if the money had been there, he would be playing for a rookie manager in St. Louis.

Hendu
02-24-2012, 07:38 AM
The other stuff is rationalization for people who don't want to believe Puljos was being purely mercenary. You can come up with all sorts of things that are hypothetically valid, but Puljos has no sort of relationship with Scioscia. He is going to a different league where he doesn't know his competition very well if at all. The only thing you know for sure is that he went to the highest bidder.

It wasn't like he said other team(s) offered him more but he chose the Angels because he didn't want to play for a rookie manager in the organization that brought him up through their farm system and wanted to play for Mike Scioscia instead. If the money had been there, Puljos would be playing for Ozzie Guillen in Miami. And I have no doubt that if the money had been there, he would be playing for a rookie manager in St. Louis.

If the money had been there, the Cards would have brought in a win now type manager rather than a guy who'll be learning on the job. Obviously the Cards are going in a different direction. Whether it's good or bad remains to be seen.

Anyways, we're going around in circles. Personally I don't care why he left, whether it's money or other reasons or a combination thereof. But his interview didn't lock him into some weird commitment like Doub thinks. He said what every player in that situation would say 2 years before free agency...just like every GM gives a vote of confidence to a manager before firing him, or says the trade rumors around a certain player are false before making the trade.

kittle42
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, I would turn that $ to go to a team I did not want to play for. And I was mad at Jeter for what he did too. At least he stayed. I am aware that $ means more than anything to most people.

On top of $, Puljos left because Tony let him do whatever he wanted so once Tony said bye, Albert didn't want to say unless perhaps the $ was equal or more.

And plenty of players do turn down money from teams they don't want to play for. They also insist on no-trade clauses involving teams they are not interested in going to (which aren't always the Royals, etc. - and are frequently the East and West Coast teams).

I think we as a public just prefer to label as many people as "take the money and run" folks as we can.