PDA

View Full Version : Do you have mlb.tv and/or MLB Extra Innings?

SephClone89
02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I was wondering how many of us have these luxuries. I've never had a subscription to either. I have always enjoyed the DirecTV Extra Innings free weeks during April and July, though.

I know that for the out-of-towners, this is your way of watching the Sox. But how much do you watch other games? I know that even as a lover of baseball, it's hard to tune into a lot of the national games because so many of them are going on at the same time as the Sox. Maybe this year the Sox won't be as urgent of a priority...

Having MLBN reduces my desire for mlb.tv, to be honest. Awesome coverage and a ton of national games along with FOX and ESPN and TBS. I think if I end up going back to ISU next year for grad school, where MLBN may be unavailable, then I'll shell out for mlb.tv for the last couple months of the season.

I also had a free month of mlb.tv last year with my pre-order of The Show, but I waited until the last day to activate it, which corresponded with the PSN shutdown, so I hardly got to use it to its full potential (streaming is really choppy on my laptop)

I liked that they had the free game of the day last year. Hope this continues--does anyone know if this was viewable on teh PS3? I have had MLB Gameday Audio for years, but it really bothers me that this doesn't give me any discount on the MLB At Bat app, as the radio audio is most of what that one is good for. Really feels like I'm paying twice for the same thing.

Moses_Scurry
02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
The day the blackout restrictions are changed will be the day I get one of them.

amsteel
02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I split premium with a friend. For ~62$ it's not a bad deal, though, I don't think I'd pay the full 125$

Fenway
02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
My plan this year is to go with mlb.tv premium which includes At Bat.

With Roku I can get a decent enough HD picture on any game ( with Comcast they only offer 1 or 2 a night )

The big plus for mlb.tv is having access to the vault where you can look at any game you missed. Also you can cross platforms with laptop, tv, phone and tablet.

Video quality on At Bat last year was stunning.

I was wondering how many of us have these luxuries. I've never had a subscription to either. I have always enjoyed the DirecTV Extra Innings free weeks during April and July, though.

I know that for the out-of-towners, this is your way of watching the Sox. But how much do you watch other games? I know that even as a lover of baseball, it's hard to tune into a lot of the national games because so many of them are going on at the same time as the Sox. Maybe this year the Sox won't be as urgent of a priority...

Having MLBN reduces my desire for mlb.tv, to be honest. Awesome coverage and a ton of national games along with FOX and ESPN and TBS. I think if I end up going back to ISU next year for grad school, where MLBN may be unavailable, then I'll shell out for mlb.tv for the last couple months of the season.

I also had a free month of mlb.tv last year with my pre-order of The Show, but I waited until the last day to activate it, which corresponded with the PSN shutdown, so I hardly got to use it to its full potential (streaming is really choppy on my laptop)

I liked that they had the free game of the day last year. Hope this continues--does anyone know if this was viewable on teh PS3? I have had MLB Gameday Audio for years, but it really bothers me that this doesn't give me any discount on the MLB At Bat app, as the radio audio is most of what that one is good for. Really feels like I'm paying twice for the same thing.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-20-2012, 08:28 PM
MLB is part of my DISH package. When I visited Poland a few years ago, I purchased a subscription to watch the games while I was gone. I'm debating buying a subscription so I can watch the games on the patio with my laptop, or buying a small TV and running a cable out there.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I have MLB.TV which I stream to my Roku player and split the cost with two friends. I like to tune in to west coast games after the Sox game are over. I think it's worth the price just to hear Vin Scully.

DSpivack
02-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I was a big fan of MLB.tv in the past, can't afford it this year, but if I do then I would gladly get it again. I've been a subscriber since, I think, 2004. It's amazing how much the streaming quality has grown over time.

That said, I love baseball and was glad to have it to watch the Sox, when I lived elsewhere, just as much as I loved watching random other games (living here) that perked my interest for whatever reason.

A. Cavatica
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I dropped mlb.tv this spring because of (1) blackout restrictions, (2) technical issues, and (3) lack of excitement about the Sox. I was really looking forward to seeing every game last year, but the season was such a train wreck that I found myself caring less and less.

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2012, 12:54 AM
I've had Extra Innings every year since it became available here so I can watch Sox games. Now that I have Roku, I'm probably going to switch to MLB.TV since my Extra Innings is standard def and MLB.TV through the Roku is hi-def, and it's also considerably less expensive.

Fenway
02-21-2012, 01:39 AM
I get the impression that Extra Innings is best for a bar at this point.

MLB TV now offer so many options - and boxes like ROKU will only get better with HD streaming.

I also use slingbox which allows me to look at NESN when I am not at home but inside New England. Maybe someday MLB will fix these blackout rules.

PKalltheway
02-21-2012, 01:56 AM
When I was still living at home, we had MLB Extra Innings. It wasn't until last year that I decided to get MLB.TV since I purchased a Roku box and moved away from home. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm getting it again this season as well. I always enjoyed watching the mid-week afternoon games, since I usually do not work until the evening.

Scottiehaswheels
02-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Did it for one year, then found out the Sox games are blacked out. So I purchased the sports package from DirecTV instead which allows for CSN Chicago and I can get it that way. More expensive than either of those other options though as it isn't something you can turn on/off in the offseason.

I also get the At Bat app so I can listen to the games at work, while cutting the grass, etc. Comes in a lot clearer than standard radio down here too, although it's seemingly on a 30 second delay.

geofitz
02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Since I don't worry about my "blacked out" team (Havana Marlins) I purchased mlb.tv last year. I watch it on big screen through a PS-3. A few glitches came up during the year but nothing really annoying. Except during the Sony hacking. Then I just used the application on the LG tv.

Ended up though watching far more Rays games than Sox games after a while.
That wasn't the intention for sure.

Bucky F. Dent
02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
The day the blackout restrictions are changed will be the day I get one of them.

Right there with you Moses. The Chicago blackout in Central Indiana is a killer!

BTW, What is ROKU?

Over By There
02-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't have a Roku or anything (maybe I need to explore) so I get Extra Innings to watch the Sox.

Hitmen77
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
My plan this year is to go with mlb.tv premium which includes At Bat.

With Roku I can get a decent enough HD picture on any game ( with Comcast they only offer 1 or 2 a night )

The big plus for mlb.tv is having access to the vault where you can look at any game you missed. Also you can cross platforms with laptop, tv, phone and tablet.

Video quality on At Bat last year was stunning.

Isn't MLB.TV also about half the price of Extra Innings?

Right there with you Moses. The Chicago blackout in Central Indiana is a killer!

BTW, What is ROKU?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129472

It's a streaming device that you can hook up to your TV to get services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. Prices range from $50-90. The higher end models will stream video in HD.

russ99
02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I have mlb.tv, and use it on my iPad, PS3 and now Apple TV.

I love to watch baseball, and have cable, so the lack of the Sox games doesn't really bother me.

It does seem to me that MLB is missing out on a cash cow of streaming home games (that fans would pay a premium to watch) just to protect a few cable companies. They could even get creative and do a similar thing like HBO does with it's app and link it to your cable subscription.

I guess it would come down to how much less in TV deals would the league get if they offered such a product...

02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I tried the coax on my wall and it works for all of the Xfinity local channels and WGN in HD so I am cancelling my AT&T U-Verse.

I just ordered the newest Roku 2. How is the HD quality with MLB.TV on it? Am I going to be able to watch White Sox games on MLB.TV since I am in their market? What would be blacked out?

GoGoCrede
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Had MLB.TV for when I was an undergrad and would go home to CA every summer and also when I was studying abroad. I only bought it to watch the Sox. Other teams really don't peak my interest unless it's a no-hitter or I'm really, really bored.

I did like how you could choose the home or away feed. They need to lift the blackout restrictions if they haven't already.

I just got the At Bat app and am eager to use it when I'm not home to watch the game.

Fenway
02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I tried the coax on my wall and it works for all of the Xfinity local channels and WGN in HD so I am cancelling my AT&T U-Verse.

I just ordered the newest Roku 2. How is the HD quality with MLB.TV on it? Am I going to be able to watch White Sox games on MLB.TV since I am in their market? What would be blacked out?

The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):
Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs

Approximate Zip Code: 60060

You can check your zipcode here.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp

scroll to bottom

My favorite is Buffalo,NY

The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):
New York Mets
Pittsburgh Pirates
New York Yankees
Cleveland Indians

Approximate Zip Code: 14226

Yet the team closest Toronto is not.

MarySwiss
02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I had mlb.tv a few years ago, then switched to MLB Extra Innings. But I'm thinking about dropping it this year since I found the Sox/Bears bar I've been hanging out at. It's about a five-minute drive, so I can just head over there to watch. :cool:

AZChiSoxFan
02-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I have MLB.TV which I stream to my Roku player and split the cost with two friends. I like to tune in to west coast games after the Sox game are over. I think it's worth the price just to hear Vin Scully.

A few people have mentioned "splitting the cost with a friend." With MLB.tv, I take it that means you can sign in (at the same time) under a few different computers?

AZChiSoxFan
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs

scroll to bottom

New York Mets
Pittsburgh Pirates
New York Yankees
Cleveland Indians

Check out the black outs for Las Vegas:

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
San Francisco Giants
Arizona Diamondbacks
Oakland Athletics
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres

Approximate Zip Code: 89106

Fenway
02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
A few people have mentioned "splitting the cost with a friend." With MLB.tv, I take it that means you can sign in (at the same time) under a few different computers?

I think you have to arrange the times. I know with NHL Game Center is I log on my phone it kills the computer feed.

AZChiSoxFan
02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I've had Extra Innings every year since it became available here so I can watch Sox games. Now that I have Roku, I'm probably going to switch to MLB.TV since my Extra Innings is standard def and MLB.TV through the Roku is hi-def, and it's also considerably less expensive.

Is the quality with using Roku pretty decent? I wa going to go this route last year, but i heard that there were some issues with Roku (picture always freezing up, etc.).

Fenway
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
This is MLB's dirty little secret. If you have DirecTV you can subscribe to all those local RSN's if your zipcode is listed as in market as unlike cable they are all on the menu.

Good example is Indianapolis which is listed as a White Sox market yet CSN-Chicago is not offered on cable there.

Yet Comcast is the major provider in Indy. :?:

Check out the black outs for Las Vegas:

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
San Francisco Giants
Arizona Diamondbacks
Oakland Athletics
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres

Approximate Zip Code: 89106

AZChiSoxFan
02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I have mlb.tv, and use it on my iPad, PS3 and now Apple TV.

OK, here's a dumb question (most questions I ask are dumb). I got an E-mail from MLB last week saying that if you subscribe to mlb.tv this year, you get the MLB12 AT Bat app (for ipad, iphone, ipod touch) for free. But I have a logistical question about that. Even if I subscribe to mlb.tv, I would still have to go into the apple store on my ipod touch and download the app, and that would cost me the $15 or whatever it is. How does the apple store know that I have paid mlb for the mlb.tv subscription?

Fenway
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
OK, here's a dumb question (most questions I ask are dumb). I got an E-mail from MLB last week saying that if you subscribe to mlb.tv this year, you get the MLB12 AT Bat app (for ipad, iphone, ipod touch) for free. But I have a logistical question about that. Even if I subscribe to mlb.tv, I would still have to go into the apple store on my ipod touch and download the app, and that would cost me the $15 or whatever it is. How does the apple store know that I have paid mlb for the mlb.tv subscription?

No

If you have an account -you simply download the free At Bat and when you login it will unlock all the goodies.

SephClone89
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
This is MLB's dirty little secret. If you have DirecTV you can subscribe to all those local RSN's if your zipcode is listed as in market as unlike cable they are all on the menu.

Good example is Indianapolis which is listed as a White Sox market yet CSN-Chicago is not offered on cable there.

Yet Comcast is the major provider in Indy. :?:

Interesting. I guess I hadn't thought of that before--as long as you are in that team's "territory," the games wont' be blacked out on the RSNs.

So, say I move to Iowa, which is something of a possibility over the next few years. There are five or six teams that claim the territory. I'll be blacked out on Extra Innings or mlb.tv. but if I order that Sports Pack on DirecTV, I'll be able to watch all those teams' games on the RSNs? I guess that makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it that way

Fenway
02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Interesting. I guess I hadn't thought of that before--as long as you are in that team's "territory," the games wont' be blacked out on the RSNs.

So, say I move to Iowa, which is something of a possibility over the next few years. There are five or six teams that claim the territory. I'll be blacked out on Extra Innings or mlb.tv. but if I order that Sports Pack on DirecTV, I'll be able to watch all those teams' games on the RSNs? I guess that makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it that way

For example - NESN transmits a code of all the zip codes that are in the territory before any MLB or NHL game - all the RSN's do this - So when you hit 628 the box 'checks' to see if the zipcode is OK and unlocks the channel.

02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs

scroll to bottom

New York Mets
Pittsburgh Pirates
New York Yankees
Cleveland Indians

So every single White Sox game will be blackout because I live in their home market?

DSpivack
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
So every single White Sox game will be blackout because I live in their home market?

If you are in the market, then yes.

I.e. if you travel outside of the market you'd be able to watch on the road.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Is the quality with using Roku pretty decent? I wa going to go this route last year, but i heard that there were some issues with Roku (picture always freezing up, etc.).I don't know yet. This is the first year. I've watched the archived playoff and World Series games from last year, and the picture was great, and there was no freezing up, but that's not live streaming. I'll get spring training games soon, and I'll know better.

HaroMaster87
02-22-2012, 01:49 AM
cant a PS3 do all the same things as a roku? or am i missing something?

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2012, 02:03 AM
cant a PS3 do all the same things as a roku? or am i missing something?All the same things? No. Roku has some proprietary channels. However, streaming NetFlix, MLB, NHL, yeah, it can do all those.

I have no need for an expensive game machine, and a Roku was a much less expensive way to get what I needed.

Fenway
02-22-2012, 02:04 AM
cant a PS3 do all the same things as a roku? or am i missing something?

It can

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=sonyps3&c_id=mlb

Many people don't want the gaming options which makes Roku a wise choice.

HaroMaster87
02-22-2012, 02:08 AM
ah ok cool...good to know! I was only asking because i already have a PS3...thanks :)

Fenway
02-22-2012, 02:09 AM
I don't know yet. This is the first year. I've watched the archived playoff and World Series games from last year, and the picture was great, and there was no freezing up, but that's not live streaming. I'll get spring training games soon, and I'll know better.

An archive game is still being streamed. Roku is as good as your internet connection.

02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
If you are in the market, then yes.

I.e. if you travel outside of the market you'd be able to watch on the road.

That is the dumbest ****ing thing I have ever heard. **** you MLB, I guess I will have to pirate your feed instead.

comiskey2000
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Any word on this? Can two people be logged on to the same account at the same time?

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
That is the dumbest ****ing thing I have ever heard. **** you MLB, I guess I will have to pirate your feed instead.There's nothing dumb about it. The TV station pays a lot of money for EXCLUSIVE rights in a given area. If MLB.TV lets you stream it in the area, that's a reduction in viewers for the TV station, which translates to reduced advertising revenue.

And if you discuss pirating (stealing) any copyrighted material again, you'll get a little vacation.

rockinrobin23
02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
mlb.tv is a lifesaver for me. Only way i can watch the Sox out here in boring utah..i watch other teams as well. Love listen to scully on the dodgers broadcast he is the best...

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Love listen to scully on the dodgers broadcast he is the best...
http://www.caffex.com/assets/images/sleepingMan_794075c.jpg

johnnyg83
02-22-2012, 01:11 PM
mlb.tv is a lifesaver for me. Only way i can watch the Sox out here in boring utah..i watch other teams as well. Love listen to scully on the dodgers broadcast he is the best...

It's amazing. Phone, iPad, Ps3 ... I love it. Signal and picture not perfect last year but they've improved it every year. Being able to watch four games at once is heaven.

GoGoCrede
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
http://www.caffex.com/assets/images/sleepingMan_794075c.jpg

When I first heard Scully I thought the exact same thing. But an hour or so into it, I got interested and he's now my favorite. I think he is definitely an acquired taste like Hawk is.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Is the quality with using Roku pretty decent? I wa going to go this route last year, but i heard that there were some issues with Roku (picture always freezing up, etc.).

There were serious problems with Roku two reasons ago, but I had no problems last year.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM

We experimented with logging on with three different computers, in three different locations, at the same time and there were no problems.

GoGoCrede
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
We experimented with logging on with three different computers, in three different locations, at the same time and there were no problems.

Yeah, I think it's possible to use more than one computer at the same time.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
That's enough discussion of how you can partner up and steal service from MLB.TV. Stop.

voodoochile
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I do have MLB.TV. I just pay for the regular package. I don't find much need for more. I do occasionally follow a game of a division rival when the Sox are in the hunt late in the season or tune in for a NoNo game when I see the alert here. Mostly I just watch the Sox though.

Here in Bay area I only get blacked out on Saturday afternoon games. If the Sox are playing a local team they will be on TV, so that's not an issue. In NC on the other hand for some reason Jacksonville had been named a Baltimore Orioles home town and the local sports channel just didn't show the games ever. So 6 times a year or whatever I'd be forced to follow on gamecast or similar text based program. I know this will come as a huge shock but the Yankee games were always on but no other team was.

AZChiSoxFan
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Since Roku was mentioned in this thread, has anyone ever used a website or service (not sure what it really is even) called PlayOn ? From what I can tell on the site, you pay like $4 a month, and you can run it through your Roku, and you get channels like ESPN, CBS, etc.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever used that or not?

DoItForDanPasqua
02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Since Roku was mentioned in this thread, has anyone ever used a website or service (not sure what it really is even) called PlayOn ? From what I can tell on the site, you pay like $4 a month, and you can run it through your Roku, and you get channels like ESPN, CBS, etc.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever used that or not?

I just started the free trial. You don't get the full channels for the most part. For example, instead of ESPN having a full episode of Baseball Tonight or Sportscenter, you can watch certain clips. The only live sports are on their ESPN3 channel which is free online anyway. Still, it may be worth it for some of the other channels, such as Hulu, so you may want to get the trial to check it out.

AZChiSoxFan
02-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I just started the free trial. You don't get the full channels for the most part. For example, instead of ESPN having a full episode of Baseball Tonight or Sportscenter, you can watch certain clips. The only live sports are on their ESPN3 channel which is free online anyway. Still, it may be worth it for some of the other channels, such as Hulu, so you want to get the trial to check it out.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.