PDA

View Full Version : Brewers may be shopping for a new spring training home

Fenway
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120215&content_id=26697806&vkey=news_mil&c_id=mil

I know 2 cities in Florida want them, Ft Myers and Winter Haven.

LITTLE NELL
02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120215&content_id=26697806&vkey=news_mil&c_id=mil

I know 2 cities in Florida want them, Ft Myers and Winter Haven.

The heck with the Brewers, I'd love to see the White Sox in Winter Haven.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
The heck with the Brewers, I'd love to see the White Sox in Winter Haven.

The Indians wish they had never left.

LITTLE NELL
02-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Your boys trained there also from 1966 to 1992.
Very nice town.

PKalltheway
02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Care to elaborate why? I'm only curious, that's all.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Your boys trained there also from 1966 to 1992.
Very nice town.

I know the town well and we lived in Lakeland in 1991.

Winter Haven actually was the genesis of Disney World. Roy Disney saw people flocking to Cypress Gardens and told Walt - I think we could make a lot of money in Florida.

Before Disney, Winter Haven was considered the hub of Central Florida as that was the major railroad junction in the state. Then I-4 bypassed the city and Disney World happened. Lakeland thanks to I-4 exploded and WH did not.

Southsider101
02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
The Rockies and D-Backs new facility, Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, raised the bar for ST complexes in Arizona. At $100 million dollars, the two teams have spared no expense. Last spring I saw a couple of games there, and without a doubt, it puts most other facilities to shame. Shared facilities like Glendale Ranch and the Royals/Rangers complex at Surprise appear to have become the new standard in Arizona.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 07:55 PM
The Rockies and D-Backs new facility, Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, raised the bar for ST complexes in Arizona. At $100 million dollars, the two teams have spared no expense. Last spring I saw a couple of games there, and without a doubt, it puts most other facilities to shame. Shared facilities like Glendale Ranch and the Royals/Rangers complex at Surprise appear to have become the new standard in Arizona.

Red Sox just did the same in Florida.
9vgAOd98XaU

Lamp81
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
At one point, Las Vegas was trying to become a Spring Training site. They were looking to get 4 teams to commit. Obviously Vegas would make a great place to visit, and catch a few White Sox ST games.

I think the Dodgers may have been interested, as they had their AAA team in Vegas a few years back. I don't know what doomed the project, if it was they couldn't get 3 other commitments, or if it was a money issue.

Do you think a location with 4 teams could make a go of it? Tucson had 3 teams, plus the teams would travel to Phoenix metro as well. All of that travel made the Sox want to go north, and then the DBacks and Rockies followed.

Getting back to the Brewers situation, they are in a good position to consider both options. Since they are in the Mid West, it is just as easy for fans to go to Florida or Arizona. If a team is on a coast, it is much more difficult. I am surprised the Dodgers trained in Florida for so long. Outside of watching their team play, why would Dodger fans travel all the way across the country for ST? They already live in a great climate, so it's not like they are escaping the cold weather.

One drawback for the Brewers may be that their fans, used to being in Arizona for the entire existence of the Brewers, have purchased winter homes in Arizona. That is why I was hoping the Cubs would move to Florida, as it would make it very hard on a lot of their fans. Any maybe the native Chicago fans, in Arizona, may pay a little more attention to the White Sox.