Milwaukee Brewers at Chicago White Sox

September 8, 2012 (3:30 PM ET)
Atlanta Braves at New York Mets
Los Angeles Dodgers at San Francisco Giants
Kansas City Royals at Chicago White Sox

Cubs will be on FOX 9 times

bridgeportcopper
02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I posted this in the end of the earlier schedule thread, How in the world did MLB schedule Sox @ Cubs on a Saturday night during the G-8 NATO weekend? Do they not look at local events when making the schedule. Resources in this city are already gonna be stretched thin, Sox-Cubs at night at Wrigley may get hairy!

Fenway
02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I posted this in the end of the earlier schedule thread, How in the world did MLB schedule Sox @ Cubs on a Saturday night during the G-8 NATO weekend? Do they not look at local events when making the schedule. Resources in this city are already gonna be stretched thin, Sox-Cubs at night at Wrigley may get hairy!

You would THINK after what happened 2 years in Toronto where the Jays wound up playing 3 home dates in Philadelphia that MLB would have avoided this.

The G-8 in Chicago could be worse than the 1968 convention because while Canada put a tight lid on people entering the country, Chicago does not have that option.

The city should have told both teams to play on the road but.....

DSpivack
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM

That's pretty damn stupid. Way to go, MLB.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
That's pretty damn stupid. Way to go, MLB.

Blame the city on this.

What is worse is there is not even the option of playing on the road like the Jays had to.

Miller Park is not an option that weekend as the Brewers are home.

DSpivack
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Blame the city on this.

What is worse is there is not even the option of playing on the road like the Jays had to.

Miller Park is not an option that weekend as the Brewers are home.

Why couldn't they just schedule both teams on the road that weekend?

Fenway
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Why couldn't they just schedule both teams on the road that weekend?

If somebody in Chicago had told MLB I am sure they would have.

NOW you may very well see these games postponed and made up one at a time.

Without being political there is no legit reason for any city to host this event. Host it in Sun Valley, Iceland or anywhere remote. It is an event not open to the public so why subject any city to it.

doublem23
02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Well the MLB schedule comes out when? Usually they're released late in the previous season so it's very possible that the game had already been scheduled before the NATO/G-8 Summit was announced, and I'm sure they don't give a crap about baseball.

Either way, I'm not particularly worried about it. The Chicago Police Department is one of the world's finest.

doublem23
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Without being political there is no legit reason for any city to host this event. Host it in Sun Valley, Iceland or anywhere remote. It is an event not open to the public so why subject any city to it.

Because the hundreds of diplomats and thousands of journalists who accompany them have to stay (and pay to stay) somewhere.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Well the MLB schedule comes out when? Usually they're released late in the previous season so it's very possible that the game had already been scheduled before the NATO/G-8 Summit was announced, and I'm sure they don't give a crap about baseball.

Either way, I'm not particularly worried about it. The Chicago Police Department is one of the world's finest.

It was announced way before the MLB schedule came out.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8208613

What is even stranger is they have allowed the Saturday night game. Yes the CPD is one of the best but they will have their hands full with this.

DSpivack
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Because the hundreds of diplomats and thousands of journalists who accompany them have to stay (and pay to stay) somewhere.

There are resorts that can handle it, it's been at Sea Island, for example, in the past.

I fully expect this to end up one giant cluster****.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 04:01 PM

The sheer cost of hosting the event just isn't worth it.

Toronto, Ontario and Canada spent close to $900M (CDN) in 2010 and in return they got a shattered downtown, largest mass arrest in the history of Canada and city life was impacted by it.

Foulke You
02-17-2012, 01:37 AM

What is even stranger is they have allowed the Saturday night game. Yes the CPD is one of the best but they will have their hands full with this.
There was a Saturday night Sox/Cubs tilt at The Cell in 2010 and a Sunday night July 4th Sox/Cubs game at Wrigley in 2004. Both went off without a hitch. The July 4th was a Sunday with everyone having the day off on Monday. The Taste of Chicago and fireworks shows were going on all around the city too. I'm sure the CPD will be stretched to the max that night but I doubt they'll be canceling any ballgames.

DSpivack
02-17-2012, 02:03 AM
There was a Saturday night Sox/Cubs tilt at The Cell in 2010 and a Sunday night July 4th Sox/Cubs game at Wrigley in 2004. Both went off without a hitch. The July 4th was a Sunday with everyone having the day off on Monday. The Taste of Chicago and fireworks shows were going on all around the city too. I'm sure the CPD will be stretched to the max that night but I doubt they'll be canceling any ballgames.

I don't think any of those events is quite like having the heads of state of the 8 largest countries in the world all downtown (as well as every other member of NATO), with the security protocol that will require, not to mention being able to handle tens of thousands of protesters simultaneously.

There's a reason why the Blue Jays had to move to Philly that weekend.

bridgeportcopper
02-17-2012, 06:13 AM

:redface:

it really sounds like its going to be insane. Department supposedly has intelligence that protesters, anarchists, Black Bloc etc. marking off entire month of May here. We have already been told 12 hour days with no days off from 12th-22nd. I have friends whose kids are graduating in that time frame, so far they've been told to have someone videotape it. Latest rumor, those on front line may be getting put up in hotel downtown due to sheer hassle of getting to-from with possible security bubble in place, if so, we'll see our families later, i suppose. I go to at least one Cub-Sox at Wrigley every year, looks like it won't happen this year.