PDA

View Full Version : When you're buying tickets, how big a difference does opponent make?

SephClone89
02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Do you make sure to see certain teams or players as the year goes on? Do you ever wait to buy tickets so that you know the pitching matchup?

Or do you just base tickets on convenience of date, price, etc?

GoGoCrede
02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Convenience and price. If I know they're playing the Cubs or Red Sox, I don't bother since the tickets are always out of my price range. I like Royals games because they aren't as expensive. But whenever I'm free I like to go.

I don't mind who they play as long as the Sox are on the field. Unless it's the Cubs. I will never attend Cubs/Sox again.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
My family gets tickets based on when they want to go (regardless of the other team). There are only two times the other team matters (Some NL teams we want to see and don't want to go to Wrigley for them and the Yankees because of my family). The best thing to do is load up on 1/2 price games if you don't care who you see.

Nellie_Fox
02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Even when I still lived in Chicagoland, I purchased tickets based solely on when the game was. Now it's even more so, it's about whether I'm going to be in the area during the season and will have time to get to a game.

soltrain21
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I make an effort to go see the Mariners.

jdm2662
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
I refuse to go see the Yankees and Red Sox. they are boring to watch, and the tickets are way too expensive. I refuse to see the Cubs because I don't want to deal with assphat fans (and I'm talking about both sides of town). And yes, the tickets are WAYY too much.

Other than that, it just a matter of when I'm available (which isn't that often these days).

I'm seeing the Brewers this year because my wife's cousins will be coming down for the game. They are inflated for the weekend, but I'm making the most of it. Going to play a tailgate party. Not sure if I go to any more games, though. Got lots of other things going on right now.

northsideirish
02-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I avoid Yankees and Red Sox games as their fans are numerous and obnoxious, other than that it pretty much doesn't matter to me

Moses_Scurry
02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Since I only make it up once or twice a summer these days, I go when it works with my schedule. When I lived in Chicago, I would make an extra effort to see teams I wanted to see, but I would still go to a lot of games regardless of the opponent.

DSpivack
02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
When I lived in Atlanta and DC, I would try and see better opponents, or a good pitching matchup. I remember seeing Randy Johnson's 300th victory at Nats Park, for example.

For a Sox game, price matters more to me, but I still would rather see a game against a good team or pitcher, after factoring in price.

TheOldRoman
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Back when I was in college I went to probably 15-20 games every summer. There were certain teams I made sure to see every year. There was even a time when I thought seeing them play the Cubs would be exciting, before realizing it brings loads or degenerates to our park to defecate in sinks and destroy statues, and likewise bunches of fake Sox fans who only go to start fights with the fake Cubs fans who are there to start fights. Not a fun experience.

Anyway, I don't really care about the opponents anymore. Now that I am tied up with work, family, travel and other stuff, I go to games whenever I get a chance, regardless of who they are playing. I have seen the Sox play the Royals more times than I would care to remember, but it is still baseball.

doublem23
02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Availability is the biggest concern for me and my wife, since Ms. Doub works weekends and has random days off in the middle of the week sometimes, it's always easiest on both of us if we go to a game on a night before she has a day off. After that, I buy a lot of my tickets from Stub Hub now, so price and seat location are my two big things. Would rather spend $20 to sit in the Lower Bowl against the Royals than spend $30 to sit in the Upper Deck vs. the Yankees.

DumpJerry
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
When I lived in Minnesota before I finally got fed up with indoor baseball and stopped going alltogether, there was only one opponent I wanted to see:
http://www.familybedding.com/img/p/m/2/6/9/7/137343/Chicago_White_Sox_Logo_Fathead_MLB_Wall_Graphic.jp g

russ99
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm half and half. There's certain teams I like to see the Sox play, like the Twins, Tigers, Rangers and Angels, and I usually go to at least one interleague game.

My brother's a huge Red Sox fan, so I go to at least one game a year with him. This year with the series in April, we're gonna miss out. No night games in April for me, unless the weather is unseasonably warm then as it is now.

Otherwise, I love to get last-minute low cost decent seats to see the Sox play teams like the Royals and Orioles, especially for weekend day games.

DumpJerry
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm half and half. There's certain teams I like to see the Sox play, like the Twins, Tigers, Rangers and Angels, and I usually go to at least one interleague game.

My brother's a huge Red Sox fan, so I go to at least one game a year with him. This year with the series in April, we're gonna miss out. No night games in April for me, unless the weather is unseasonably warm then as it is now.

Otherwise, I love to get last-minute low cost decent seats to see the Sox play teams like the Royals and Orioles, especially for weekend day games.
Sunday, April 29th. 1:10 p.m. Red Sox.

C-Dawg
02-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I only go on weekends, and some weekends have other stuff planned so I have to take what's left and go to those games, regardless of opponent. I won't go see the Red Sox or Cubs, no matter what. I like seeing the Yankees since I feel their fans are several magnitudes more civilized than those of the Red Sox or Cubs.

Bonus points if its a team I've never seen, which currently is just a few NL teams.... Washington, Arizona, San Diego, the Giants... Hmmm I think that's all.

raven1
02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I have the weekend partial season plan, so that dictates the opponents for me. The Cubs series is actually my favorite - I like the intensity of the crowd (although it was somewhat lacking this year) and the familiarity of the opponent (thanks? to Chicago media coverage) makes it similar to a division game. Although there is some boorish fan behavior at these games, it really doesn't need to be a problem since there is plenty of security around and they are more than willing to eject anyone acting in an obnoxious or threatening manner. I've even gone to Wrigley for these games and gotten drunken Cubs fans thrown out - no place tolerates fights like they did just a couple years ago.

Jerko
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I used to pick and choose opponents when interleague first started just to see some different teams. Now I hit all weekday afternoon games and most sat/sun games, no matter who the opponent is. I DO avoid the Cub games though.

dickallen15
02-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Some real interesting responses. I was a little surprised to read the numerous interleague mentions. Interleague baseball's time has not past, that's for sure.

StillMissOzzie
02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I prefer to go to intra-division games, just because they matter a bit more.

I like to take in an interleague game if my schedule allows.

I am philosophically against "premium" priced games, so I usually avoid the Yankees, but I try to get to a Red Sox game for another reason - my nephew pitches for them.

I still like to get to a Sox vs Cubs game, but this weeknight thing the last couple of years has made that a bit harder.

Sometimes, I will go to a game just for the promotion - Halfway to St Pat's Day, for example.

But overall, I will go to a game when my schedule makes it most convenient.

SMO
:gulp:

Frontman
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I enjoy interleague games. I refuse to go to the Sox/Cubs games, for all the ugly it brings out. (Heck, other than the games itself, I avoid listening to the radio those two weeks for all the moronic chest-thumping a single game win will bring out of both fanbases.)

I have seen Yankee games, and I would like to see a Red Sox game, but beyond that, it doesn't mean that much to me. Royals games annoy me, as for so many reasons they haven't been good, yet seem to beat the Sox on the times I attend!:D:

I do enjoy Twins games. I have friends in the Minneapolis area, and we have a bit of fun with each other, win or lose.

DirtySox
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
The opponent is a pretty big deal to me. I'm a huge baseball fan in general, and I'd prefer to see teams with interesting and entertaining players. Bonus points if those players are highly touted prospects or up and coming stars. I'd much rather see for instance the Royals and their stable of burgeoning prospects versus a veteran laden team.

That's probably why I'll enjoy watching the Sox with Sale, Viciedo, Reed, Flowers, Morel, et al, no matter how mediocre they may be this season.

Railsplitter
02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Rarely, though I'd like to be able to say I've been to see every team in the American League.

esbrechtel
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Convenience and price. If I know they're playing the Cubs or Red Sox, I don't bother since the tickets are always out of my price range. I like Royals games because they aren't as expensive. But whenever I'm free I like to go.

I don't mind who they play as long as the Sox are on the field. Unless it's the Cubs. I will never attend Cubs/Sox again.

pretty much my sentiments exactly...

soxfanreggie
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
It's both ways for someone who has to travel a bit to get there. Sometimes you don't want to pay the premium prices to see the Yankees or Red Sox and rather use that money to go see two games, and sometimes you don't want to go see an opponent who will only have 60 wins.

vinny
02-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Time and price. The boy still can't stay up for the regular 7:11 starts.

LongLiveFisk
02-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Totally the convenience factor, although like others here I will pass on the Crosstown Classic.

beasly213
02-20-2012, 12:07 AM
I pretty much go to any game I can. I wont spend a lot on tickets unless its a playoff game but it doesn't matter to me who the Sox are playing I'll always go to a game... Living walking distance from the park probably helps that though.

SephClone89
02-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Time and price. The boy still can't stay up for the regular 7:11 starts.

They'v been 7:10 starts for a few years now; that should help.

Steelrod
02-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I prefer the lesser teams, as there is less congestion in the concessions, washrooms, and parking.
I also avoid Friday nites. Too much hassle trying to get there during rush hour.

kaufsox
02-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Back when I was in college I went to probably 15-20 games every summer. There were certain teams I made sure to see every year. There was even a time when I thought seeing them play the Cubs would be exciting, before realizing it brings loads or degenerates to our park to defecate in sinks and destroy statues, and likewise bunches of fake Sox fans who only go to start fights with the fake Cubs fans who are there to start fights. Not a fun experience.

Anyway, I don't really care about the opponents anymore. Now that I am tied up with work, family, travel and other stuff, I go to games whenever I get a chance, regardless of who they are playing. I have seen the Sox play the Royals more times than I would care to remember, but it is still baseball.

I'm a 14 game ticket guy and have been for some time so I get to pick and choose which opponents to see and my baseball spouse is not a White Sox fan so the opponent genuinely matters to him. I also like to play hookey from work at least once a year and then the opponent doesn't matter. I've even *gasp* gone to Wrigley on such occasions. Like Roman said, it is still baseball.

HomeFish
02-22-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't go to games I don't think the Sox can win. I once had tickets to go see the Sox play on my birthday, and I stayed home because Johan Santana was pitching against them.

It was a good call: Santana beat them that day.

Bruizer
02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I make an effort to go see the Mariners.

Me too! :cool:

I grew up in Seattle and went to a lot of Mariner games in the early years.

Bucky F. Dent
02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Did someone from Sox marketing sneak onto the site to try to justify dynamic pricing?

kevingrt
02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
All that matters to me is the price of the ticket and the weather matters a little bit.

gobears1987
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
It used to matter, but with tiered pricing I stopped buying based on the opponent as the teams I wanted to see became more expensive.

SephClone89
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Did someone from Sox marketing sneak onto the site to try to justify dynamic pricing?

Funny.

GoGoCrede
02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
All that matters to me is the price of the ticket and the weather matters a little bit.

Yeah, for me weather is much more of a factor than an opponent, although not as much as price.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-24-2012, 01:10 PM

This my fathers rule lol

Broccoli Rob
02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I enjoy Red Sox fans and their fresh, polite insight into the world of baseball so I make sure to try to go to all 3-4 games Boston graces us with their eminence.

kevingrt
02-24-2012, 08:46 PM
This my fathers rule lol

And I am 24 and hope to be no one's father anytime soon :D:

chisoxfanatic
02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
For me, opponent doesn't make so much of a deal as pitching match-up. I also would rather go to a night game than a day game (there's just something magical to me about seeing baseball under the lights).

The primary factor for me, though, is if I have enough discretionary spending money to go. The past few years, I've been really good at sticking with a monthly budget.

DumpJerry
02-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I enjoy Red Sox fans and their fresh, polite insight into the world of baseball so I make sure to try to go to all 3-4 games Boston graces us with their eminence.
You're kidding, right?

voodoochile
02-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Obviously here in SF I can only see certain opponents, but when I lived in Chicago it was more about when I had free time than who was playing. When picking out pre-season packages of like 9 games I preferred to see divisional foes and will pick for those games or odd ones like NL opponents who come rarely, but for games I buy randomly it's strictly based on time and money constraints. Rather see the Sox play the worst team in baseball live than not if I have the time and money.

siugrad25
02-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Honestly, the only time I concern myself with who opponent is when the price dramatically changes. As an unemployed journalist/teacher, I'm bound more by the market than who the Sox are playing that day. As long as I can find a way to bring my boys, that's all that really matters. They don't care if it's the Orioles, Yankees, or Twins.

rcescato
02-25-2012, 10:31 AM

When was the last time u went sox/cubs game. Ive gone every year and they are lame now. There is no intensity or fighting anymore.

GoGoCrede
02-25-2012, 11:02 AM
When was the last time u went sox/cubs game. Ive gone every year and they are lame now. There is no intensity or fighting anymore.

Fighting in the stands is dumb no matter what the year. I went in 2010.

TomBradley72
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
When we were a contender- I used to prioritize the weekend games after the All Star break vs. Detroit/Minnesota/Cleveland- and I used to have some interest in the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs games as well.

But we're not really a contender anymore (although anything IS possible) and the the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs trifecta is now completely over exposed and their fans annoy me- so now opponent doesn't really matter.

Dynamic pricing really annoys me- especially the way the franchise has been run from 2009 forward- so I'm not really willing to pay a premium to see this team- I'll only go to those games if there are cheaper tickets on StubHub, etc.- which is usually the case.