PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Un-retire #5 for Logan Morrison

Over By There
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
The family of the late Carl Barger, the team's first president, apparently found out when Morrison tweeted out a picture of his new jersey.

Link (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2012/02/14/marlins-finally-connect-with-former-team-president-carl-bargers-family/)

doublem23
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
How is there not a reality show about the Marlins yet?

ChiSoxGal85
02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
How is there not a reality show about the Marlins yet?
I thought I heard somewhere that the Marlins would be the next featured team on "The Show."

Edit: My bad - soltrain21 got the name of the show right: "The Franchise."

soltrain21
02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Marlins are going to be on Showtime's "The Franchise."

Edit - And let's be honest, retiring the number of a team President because his favorite player wore that number? That's pretty stupid.

doublem23
02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Edit - And let's be honest, retiring the number of a team President because his favorite player wore that number? That's pretty stupid.

Agreed, but you'd still think they'd have the courtesy to write someone a letter.

soltrain21
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Agreed, but you'd still think they'd have the courtesy to write someone a letter.

Oh, completely.

Fenway
02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Marlins are going to be on Showtime's "The Franchise."

Barger never lived to see the team play but of course Loria never knew the man.

Pressure is really on Loria to reverse this.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-hyde-logan-morrison-jersey-number-0215-20120214,0,84916.column

DumpJerry
02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Loria and his exploits are making him MLB's honorary Kardashian.

Nellie_Fox
02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
An incredibly dumb reason to retire a number. But then, I guess as long as it honors a Yankee, you just can't do enough.

soltrain21
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Barger never lived to see the team play but of course Loria never knew the man.

Pressure is really on Loria to reverse this.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-hyde-logan-morrison-jersey-number-0215-20120214,0,84916.column

One article. What a hotbed topic!

Fenway
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
An incredibly dumb reason to retire a number. But then, I guess as long as it honors a Yankee, you just can't do enough.

The Marlins would never have existed if Barger was not involved, and he died a few months before their first game. They wanted to honor him and his office was full of DiMaggio stuff. Under the tragic circumstances it made sense.

Irishsox1
02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd like to see the act of retiring numbers, retired. Leads to silly stories like this and petty egotistical ex-athletes whining about getting "their" number retired.

How about when the White Sox retired Harold Baines #3 in 1989 and then he plays 12 more seasons with 4 different teams and comes back to the Sox two more times.

By the way, good for the Marlins. This guy was important to the Marlins so put his name in the Gloria Estefan Miami ring of honor but taking #5 because he loved Joe DiMaggio is too much.

Fenway
02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
One article. What a hotbed topic!

and WQAM talk radio - and other South Florida outlets.

Foulke You
02-17-2012, 01:27 AM
I'd like to see the act of retiring numbers, retired. Leads to silly stories like this and petty egotistical ex-athletes whining about getting "their" number retired.

How about when the White Sox retired Harold Baines #3 in 1989 and then he plays 12 more seasons with 4 different teams and comes back to the Sox two more times.

By the way, good for the Marlins. This guy was important to the Marlins so put his name in the Gloria Estefan Miami ring of honor but taking #5 because he loved Joe DiMaggio is too much.
Isn't that a tad too cynical? I agree that at times the practice produces odd moments like the aforementioned retiring of Harold's number while he was still an active player. Also, the Cubs co-retiring Greg Maddux's 31 when Fergie Jenkins deserved the honor for that number by himself. More often than not though, you get great memorable moments like a smiling Frank Thomas with his family seeing #35 go up on that wall.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM

They should at least slow down the pace. Within 100 years there will be no number left. They should also wait at least five years to give time to reflect instead of letting emotion take the place of logic.