View Full Version : Yoenis Cespedes Signs With A's

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Just saw on CSN.

02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Wow, big surprise! Did I read that right? The A's? :scratch:

Saufley
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
And here's another player the Cubbies miss out on. They link their name to everyone and don't sign anyone. I guess they're happy with Ian Stewart.

russ99
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Wow, big surprise! Did I read that right? The A's? :scratch:

Looks like the money was right around (if not lower than) the estimates, so the A's probably didn't outbid anyone.

They must have promised him a chance to play in the majors right away...

DirtySox
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks like the money was right around (if not lower than) the estimates, so the A's probably didn't outbid anyone.

They must have promised him a chance to play in the majors right away...

It's the years that are a surprise. Supposedly he wants to reach free agency quickly. 4 years of team control likely doesn't fit as well for a rebuilding club such as the Cubs. Though the same could be said for Oakland, Billy will enjoy flipping Cespedes for more prospects if/when his team isn't contending.

SephClone89
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
"If we sign this player...

We'll have changed the game."

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
What happened to the Marlins is what I want to know.

doublem23
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
What happened to the Marlins is what I want to know.

Considering all the FA's they got this year have ridiculously backloaded contracts and the federal government is supposedly investigating that deal that got them their new stadium, I have a feeling they're just about out of money for the time being.

Lip Man 1
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
One comment and one thought:

The comment on the A's signing him. "Great...they'll trade him in two years for more future prospects..." LOL.

Regarding the Marlins I've also read recently in the Tribune that speculation is going around MLB that Loria signed all these guys to increase the value of the franchise for selling. Supposedly he's in the market to sell in the next four years at a large profit, then use that money to buy the Mets. (What's the record for the most franchises ruined by a single individual?)

Lip

moochpuppy
02-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Regarding the Marlins I've also read recently in the Tribune that speculation is going around MLB that Loria signed all these guys to increase the value of the franchise for selling. Supposedly he's in the market to sell in the next four years at a large profit, then use that money to buy the Mets. (What's the record for the most franchises ruined by a single individual?)

Lip

I don't understand the rest of the owners. They let a guy like Loria continue to buy/sell franchises but they won't let a guy like Cuban buy a team. Good ol' boys club indeed!

Golden Sox
02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
How in the world can somebody like Oakland sign him, and not the Good Guys On The Southside Of Chicago?. Numerous people on these WSI posts have been looking for something positive to happen this offseason and signing him would of been a tremendous PR move for the White Sox. It could of changed our team dynamics tremendously for the present and the future. Instead we have Dunn, Rios and Peavy to look forward to.

SephClone89
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
How in the world can somebody like Oakland sign him, and not the Good Guys On The Southside Of Chicago?. Numerous people on these WSI posts have been looking for something positive to happen this offseason and signing him would of been a tremendous PR move for the White Sox. It could of changed our team dynamics tremendously for the present and the future. Instead we have Dunn, Rios and Peavy to look forward to.

Because just about any of the other teams would have outspent the Sox in a bid for him?

It's not like the Sox could sign anyone they want at any given time. There are 29 other teams in baseball, you know.

Foulke You
02-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Jury is out on whether this is a good signing. At the end of the day, the A's paid $36 million for an unproven player. This could just as easily become an albatross for Oakland as it can a success. That being said, I'm glad Detroit didn't land him just in case he lives up to the hype. One thing I do know is that I don't think Mr. Cespedes will like hitting in the Coliseum. Not exactly a great place to pad your offensive stats.

Lip Man 1
02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Mooch:

Because the other owners are deathly afraid that Cuban would go out and spend 250 million a season on payroll. He wants to win, making a profit is of seconday importance to him.

MLB had one George Steinbrenner, they don't want any others.

Lip

Danryan
02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Because our system is so depleted of prospects, we need to out spend other teams for prospects. (Within reason)

samurai_sox
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
MoneyBall 2: Cuban Revolution

Coming to a theater near you!

Marqhead
02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
ESPN's headline

"Compelling and Rich"

:rolling:

Glad it was a dark horse instead of the usual suspects.

soltrain21
02-13-2012, 08:33 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This guy hasn't done ANYTHING yet.

Golden Sox
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Why wouldn't the White Sox sign him? Whatever talent we have in our farm clubs is pitching. We don't have anybody who we can bring up who can hit and be a everyday player. This signing would of excited the fan base. Is there anybody out there in WSI land who would rather have Dunn or Rios in our lineup instead of this Player Oakland just signed?

SephClone89
02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Why wouldn't the White Sox sign him? Whatever talent we have in our farm clubs is pitching. We don't have anybody who we can bring up who can hit and be a everyday player. This signing would of excited the fan base. Is there anybody out there in WSI land who would rather have Dunn or Rios in our lineup instead of this Player Oakland just signed?

That's not how it works. Teams can't just go out and sign whatever player they want.

DirtySox
02-13-2012, 09:44 PM
The White Sox pursuit of Cespedes never reached a serious stage according to Van Schouwen.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2012/02/white-sox-were-not-serious-pla.html

Brian26
02-13-2012, 10:27 PM

Cespedes is a more unproven commodity right now than any of the three guys you mentioned. I'm happy Kenny didn't throw another $40 million at the wall hoping it would stick.

DumpJerry
02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
You do realize, don't you, that this kid has never faced MLB pitching or game situations? You do remember how raw Alexei was when he first got here because in Cuba they don't emphasize skill development, you play on raw talent?

This could be a huge bust for Billy Beane.

samurai_sox
02-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Looks like the Cubs are going to get Soler too.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0214-cubs-chicago--20120214,0,5338208.story

Was really hoping the Sox would get this one.

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Mooch:

Because the other owners are deathly afraid that Cuban would go out and spend 250 million a season on payroll. He wants to win, making a profit is of seconday importance to him.

LipI could have sworn I read, years ago, that MLB has a rule that teams cannot just willfully operate at a loss for an extended period, that there has to be some balance between revenues and expenses. My point being that I don't think Cuban, or someone like him, can come in and just spend his personal fortune to create a winning team.

Daver
02-14-2012, 01:26 AM

So they should spend top dollar on what could prove to be another Dayan Viciedo?

Johnny Mostil
02-14-2012, 08:05 AM

What else could be done to ruin the Mets?

SephClone89
02-14-2012, 09:29 AM
So they should spend top dollar on what could prove to be another Dayan Viciedo?

Your point is understood, but your evaluation of Viciedo is premature, to say the least.

doublem23
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Your point is understood, but your evaluation of Viciedo is premature, to say the least.

I think we're all aware that if a guy's not an established superstar in the Majors before they turn 23, then it's all over for them. May as well just put him in a box and mail him back to Cuba.

Steelrod
02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Mooch:

Lip

I can't imagine that they are afraid of Cuban. It's more likely that would rather not deal with a pain in the ass!

veeter
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
I think we're all aware that if a guy's not an established superstar in the Majors before they turn 23, then it's all over for them. May as well just put him in a box and mail him back to Cuba.Yea, I don't get the Viciedo hate speech at all. It has no foundation or logic. I think the guy is going to be a monster. Especially now he's out from under Greg 'hitting is all mechanics' Walker.

russ99
02-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I could have sworn I read, years ago, that MLB has a rule that teams cannot just willfully operate at a loss for an extended period, that there has to be some balance between revenues and expenses. My point being that I don't think Cuban, or someone like him, can come in and just spend his personal fortune to create a winning team.

I don't think that was ever really enforced, only a guideline so they can keep owners from going overboard. Back in the pre-2000 days every team was run at a loss, and owners only made money on a franchise when they sold it. Only after the advent of internet revenue, and increased national TV deals have most teams been running at a profit.

russ99
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Yea, I don't get the Viciedo hate speech at all. It has no foundation or logic. I think the guy is going to be a monster. Especially now he's out from under Greg 'hitting is all mechanics' Walker.

I think Viciedo and Betancourt are good parallels, even though Viciedo has more pop in his swing. Both came here very young, and were not advanced hitters, even into a year or two in North America

The difference is Betancourt was rushed to the big leagues, while the Sox took their time with Viciedo, so I'm hopeful he has a better career than Betancourt. There is a valid concern if he can hit for average at the big league level, so "monster" is probably pushing it a bit.

Alexei came here when he was 26 and had tons of international tournament experience, so there's little parallel there.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Nellie:

I think you're talking about the debt rule, which states that you can not be more than 40% of the value of the franchise in debt. It was started by Selig, but still with Cuban, 40% "in debt" isn't a big deal...not with his fortune.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Nellie:

I think you're talking about the debt rule, which states that you can not be more than 40% of the value of the franchise in debt. It was started by Selig, but still with Cuban, 40% "in debt" isn't a big deal...not with his fortune.

LipNo, maybe I'm wrong, but I remembered a rule about operating at a loss.

Daver
02-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I think we're all aware that if a guy's not an established superstar in the Majors before they turn 23, then it's all over for them. May as well just put him in a box and mail him back to Cuba.

Who's talking about superstar?

I'd settle for a serviceable ballplayer, he isn't even that.

SephClone89
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM

He has 219 plate appearances in the majors. While his bat obviously wasn't as good last year as it was in 2010, his plate discipline has improved tremendously. (while his batting average in '11 was over 50 points lower than in '10, his OBP was actually higher) In fact, his OBP and BA were right around league average...so he's already a "serviceable ballplayer."

He'll just be turning 23 once spring games start. Give the kid a chance. Maybe he'll be total bust. But there's a good chance he won't be.

mzh
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM

What's your evidence that he isn't/won't be a serviceable player? I guess if you aren't a great fielder, you're completely worthless. :rolleyes:

:hurt

Daver
02-15-2012, 12:17 AM
What's your evidence that he isn't/won't be a serviceable player? I guess if you aren't a great fielder, you're completely worthless.

If you can't field ANY position you are not a serviceable ballplayer.

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2012, 12:33 AM
If you can't field ANY position you are not a serviceable ballplayer.

What if you play in a league that has a position that only requires you to hit and not field?

Daver
02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
What if you play in a league that has a position that only requires you to hit and not field?

Then your Adam Dunn's backup.

Noneck
02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Then your Adam Dunn's backup.

And you have 2 of the 25 roster slots filled by guys that if they dont hit are as useful as teats on a bull.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Considering all the FA's they got this year have ridiculously backloaded contracts and the federal government is supposedly investigating that deal that got them their new stadium, I have a feeling they're just about out of money for the time being.

That's a good point. I aksed just because from what I had heard, it sounded like a sure thing.

By the way, where did the Marlins get all of this $?