PDA

View Full Version : Jays hoping to put real grass in Rogers Center next year

Fenway
02-11-2012, 06:55 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/argos/article/1128253--perkins-argos-turfed-if-toronto-blue-jays-put-grass-in-rogers-centre

If they go ahead the football Argos are homeless as the MSL stadium can not fit a CFL field. It would also end the Bills playing in Toronto which has been a financial disaster for Rogers.

Problem is Buffalo needs that one game revenue.

Hitmen77
02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I'll be thrilled if the Blue Jays move to a natural grass surface. That would leave the Rays as the only MLB team to play on fake grass. I know Field Turf is a huge improvement over the old astroturf surfaces. But even so, those games in Toronto and St. Pete still look terrible with the artificial surface.

However, aside from the situation with the Argos, I'm surprised they're considering this. I would have guessed that a facility like the Rogers Centre is used for many events other than MLB and CFL games year round. Would a natural grass surface work with all the other events that go on at this stadium?

BleacherBandit
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
The Jays need a new stadium altogether. That being said, real turf might improve the on-field conditions for their players.

TheOldRoman
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I hadn't heard it before, but the Blue Jays said Carlos Beltran cited their turf as the reason he didn't sign with the Jays this offseason. It would be a huge improvement aesthetically for the park to get natural grass.

They have supposedly done extensive studies to show the park could handle grass, but I wouldn't be surprised if the grass didn't do well. That park has such a massive structure which could potentially block the field from getting sunlight. Every day game I have seen from Toronto had a big shadow over CF from the roof structure. Maybe the grass being used from April to September will make it work, whereas a few football stadiums (NE, Cincy) had to dump grass because the structures blocked off sunlight in the Fall. Hopefully the grass works and our days of base dirt cutouts are behind us.

LITTLE NELL
02-13-2012, 11:15 AM
The Jays need a new stadium altogether. That being said, real turf might improve the on-field conditions for their players.

How times change, when Skydome openned it was the 8th wonder of the world. The Jays sold out every game and drew over 4 million fans 3 years in a row.

Noneck
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Why not artificial for infield and natural for outfield? That still cracks me up.