PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read Jane Leavy's bio of Mickey Mantle?

Southsider101
02-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Just curious if anyone has read Jane Leavy's 2010 biography of Mickey Mantle, The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood? A friend of mine gave me the book and I see that it has received good reviews.

Fenway
02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Just curious if anyone has read Jane Leavy's 2010 biography of Mickey Mantle, The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood? A friend of mine gave me the book and I see that it has received good reviews.

Excellent work.

Golden Sox
02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Mickey Mantle was one of my two boyhood idols. I heard so many things about the book, I went out and bought it. The book certainly didn't put him in a good light. His numerous affairs and his problems with drinking are documented numerous times in the book. I would think that if you grew up a Mickey Mantle fan you will probably like the book. Theres stuff in this book (alot of the dirt) that isn't in any of his other books. If you're a younger person who never saw him play, you probably wouldn't like the book as much as people who saw him play. He was a baseball god when he played. He was probably the most popular baseball player in my lifetime.