PDA

View Full Version : Sox were worried about Dunn in ST

LITTLE NELL
02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
What happened to him over the winter of 2010-11
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7563134/ozzie-guillen-saw-adam-dunn-struggles-coming-chicago-white-sox

Anyone remember what his stats were in ST?

soltrain21
02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7563134/ozzie-guillen-saw-adam-dunn-struggles-coming-chicago-white-sox

What a ****ing liar.

Soxman219
02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Ozzie saw something wrong yet he puts Dunn in the lineup when they needed wins. Go away, Ozzie

ChicagoG19
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm sorry, but this load of crap does not pass the smell test. It's just Ozzie wanting to make sure he not only gets in the headlines here, but remains blameless in how Dunn's season turned out next year. I hope Dunn hits .350 with 65 home runs in 2012-that should shut Ozzie's yapper.

Foulke You
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Ozzie saw something wrong yet he puts Dunn in the lineup when they needed wins. Go away, Ozzie
Not just in the lineup. THIRD in the lineup most of the time until the end of June! I agree, Ozzie is talking out of his arse in that article.

doublem23
02-10-2012, 05:32 PM
What a ****ing liar.

Seriously.

**** you, Ozzie.

DirtySox
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I smell bull****.

russ99
02-10-2012, 05:44 PM
LOL.

Please tell me how the Sox sign a guy for a huge contract and yet decide not to play him to start the season, much less not give him a decent shot to work his way out of it. I don't care who the owner, GM, coach or player is. Look at Crawford in Boston for another example.

BTW: Dunn did well up until his appendicitis. Linky. (http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=319&position=OF&season=2011) Rushing him back set him on the path he ended up on. Maybe his swing was already flawed, but he sure didn't look that way in Cleveland.

Oh and: Who really cares anyway?? :scratch:

It's a new season... No need to keep rehashing this junk, unless you want to repeat it.

bridgeportcopper
02-10-2012, 06:08 PM
That is unbelievable, is he that insecure?

soltrain21
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
LOL.

Please tell me how the Sox sign a guy for a huge contract and yet decide not to play him to start the season, much less not give him a decent shot to work his way out of it. I don't care who the owner, GM, coach or player is. Look at Crawford in Boston for another example.

BTW: Dunn did well up until his appendicitis. Linky. (http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=319&position=OF&season=2011) Rushing him back set him on the path he ended up on. Maybe his swing was already flawed, but he sure didn't look that way in Cleveland.

It's a new season... No need to keep rehashing this junk, unless you want to repeat it.

Of course you play him. I'm calling bull**** that they recognized something in Spring Training.

Fenway
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I suggest LISTENING to the interview before jumping on Ozzie.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=7562799

Domeshot17
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
LOL.

Now I get why you are such a big Ozzie fan. Just Ozzie, you also put Guillen ahead of the team itself.

No shock at all you are here defending him.

You are kind of like, Batman, except the only person you ever try and save is Ozzie

Brian26
02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Didn't Dunn tear the cover off the ball on Opening Day and look ok up to the emergency appendectomy?

I guess we're stuck with Ozzie until he unloads the overpriced place he bought in Bucktown.

Fenway
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Didn't Dunn tear the cover off the ball on Opening Day and look ok up to the emergency appendectomy?

I guess we're stuck with Ozzie until he unloads the overpriced place he bought in Bucktown.

He said in the interview he keeping the house.

For what it is worth he was given many chances to slam KW, JR and others and did not do it.

Said he was NOT pressured to keep Dunn in the lineup.

Buerlie could have gone anywhere and followed Ozzie to Miami - that tells me a lot.

wassagstdu
02-10-2012, 08:03 PM
It's just Ozzie wanting to make sure he not only gets in the headlines here, but remains blameless in how Dunn's season turned out next year.

By what perverse contortions of "logic" could Ozzie possibly take any blame whatsoever for Dunn's performance last year?

jdm2662
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Frontman
02-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I suggest LISTENING to the interview before jumping on Ozzie.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=7562799

Seriously, I don't. Goes to show why I listen to WSCR and will put up with some meatball-ish behavior out of Danny Mac and Matt Spiegs.

1: Silvy and his ever slurping of the Cubs Kool-Aid.
2: This is the same show that thinks Mike Ditka is a good listen.
3: Had ESPN not bothered to contact Ozzie, we wouldn't get yet another Ozzie rant about how he knows more than every other person in baseball, even though he will NEVER accept that his decisions led to a lot of failures for the Chicago White Sox.

Since I usually don't get a chance to call in on radio shows; here's what I would say if I could get on the air next Thursday, 5-5:30 PM.

"Ozzie, you say you knew all along Dunn was going to have a horrid year, yet you kept batting him in key positions of the lineup for a good part of the season. Ozzie, either you're lying, or you just suck at managing baseball. Considering you managed the 2005 team to the World Series, I'm sure you just are lying. So, take your dog you French Kissed on the cover of ESPN the mag, your annoying kids Oney, Olzey, Ozz-knee, O-say-can-you-Si; sell your house here in Chicago and all of you can go sail off in your boat.

"Ozzie Guillen, who you crappin?!?!?!?!"

Brian26
02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Buerlie could have gone anywhere and followed Ozzie to Miami - that tells me a lot.

Buehrle. It should tell you that Miami was the only team willing to shell out for the fourth year. That's all it means.

slavko
02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Ozzie's not lying about the part where minor league pitchers were brought in to pitch to the big guy to get his confidence back. The rest of it? Self-serving at best. He played the guy long after we all knew it was futile.

Frater Perdurabo
02-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Since I usually don't get a chance to call in on radio shows; here's what I would say if I could get on the air next Thursday, 5-5:30 PM.

"Ozzie, you say you knew all along Dunn was going to have a horrid year, yet you kept batting him in key positions of the lineup for a good part of the season. Ozzie, either you're lying, or you just suck at managing baseball. Considering you managed the 2005 team to the World Series, I'm sure you just are lying. So, take your dog you French Kissed on the cover of ESPN the mag, your annoying kids Oney, Olzey, Ozz-knee, O-say-can-you-Si; sell your house here in Chicago and all of you can go sail off in your boat.

"Ozzie Guillen, who you crappin?!?!?!?!"

I think he was lying AND was mailing it in in 2011.

balke
02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
2 people at fault for Adam Dunn.

1) Adam Dunn - for sucking.
2) KW for buying him.

Ozzie asked for fast defensive players - what he's getting now in Miami. KW gave him Dunn, Swisher, Thome, and Tank. I would've play Dunn everyday too.

3 more years - Kenny is probably going to draft a few linebackers and QBs with those high first round picks.

soltrain21
02-11-2012, 07:39 AM

2) KW for buying him.

Ozzie asked for fast defensive players - what he's getting now in Miami. KW gave him Dunn, Swisher, Thome, and Tank. I would've play Dunn everyday too.

3 more years - Kenny is probably going to draft a few linebackers and QBs with those high first round picks.

Adam Dunn was a great signing at the time, and most people who are waxing poetic about how terrible the signing was by KW are just doing some revisionist history on what they thought when the signing occurred.

Rocky Soprano
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM

2) KW for buying him.

Ozzie didn't want Thome and opted for Kotsay, that failed so KW had to go looking for a DH and ended up with Dunn. So using your logic, it is still Ozzie's fault.

Fenway
02-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Adam Dunn was a great signing at the time, and most people who are waxing poetic about how terrible the signing was by KW are just doing some revisionist history on what they thought when the signing occurred.

Read the thread

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124700

34rancher
02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Read the thread

Thanks Fenway. Fun thread to read. Funny how people blasted anyone who hated the signing. Then later in the thread mocked Pierre. Ironic that Juan had more rbis. As the person most ripped in that thread as a "hater", it pains metro see a bleak next few years. I hope that there is some luck this year, I just don't see us in the playoffs this year. I only hope we win 80.

DirtySox
02-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks Fenway. Fun thread to read. Funny how people blasted anyone who hated the signing. Then later in the thread mocked Pierre. Ironic that Juan had more rbis. As the person most ripped in that thread as a "hater", it pains metro see a bleak next few years. I hope that there is some luck this year, I just don't see us in the playoffs this year. I only hope we win 80.

Juan Pierre was awful last year too. Just not as terrible as Dunn.

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Read the thread

Just re-read it. And it looks like I was the first to use the phrase "all in" to refer to their offseason plan. :)

Frontman
02-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Ozzie asked for fast defensive players - what he's getting now in Miami. KW gave him Dunn, Swisher, Thome, and Tank.

In 2010 Ozzie got his "smallball" team of gloves. Lest we not forget the Mark Kotsay as DH experiment. Dunn might of stunk, but Ozzie got Dunn because his experiment of playing a National League style of baseball in the AL Central DID NOT WORK in 2010.

SOXSINCE'70
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I'll settle for .250, 35-40 HR,120 RBI.

That's pretty much what he did for ths Nats in 2010.

Foulke You
02-12-2012, 12:26 PM
In 2010 Ozzie got his "smallball" team of gloves. Lest we not forget the Mark Kotsay as DH experiment. Dunn might of stunk, but Ozzie got Dunn because his experiment of playing a National League style of baseball in the AL Central DID NOT WORK in 2010.
Correct. Don't forget that he also brilliantly rotated in Pierre and Vizquel to DH at times during 2010 as well when the power hitting Andruw Jones remained firmly planted on the bench for long stretches.

Frater Perdurabo
02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Correct. Don't forget that he also brilliantly rotated in Pierre and Vizquel to DH at times during 2010 as well when the power hitting Andruw Jones remained firmly planted on the bench for long stretches.

And moreover, the better hitting, worse fielding, injury-prone Quentin (who should have been DH-ing part time to protect his health and keep his bat in the lineup) played RF while the superior fielding Jones sat on the bench. Ozzie stubbornly mismanaged the whole DH situation in 2010, as some of us were correctly pointing out at the time.

TDog
02-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Rotated? Vizquel started only one game at DH in 2010, the only DH start of his career. His other DH appearances were as a pinch-runner and once as a pinch-hitter, and they didn't occur in 2010.

Pierre started 10 games at DH in 2010, and I believe Jones started left in all of those games. Putting Pierre at DH and starting Jones in left improved the Sox defense. Starting Jones at DH would have prevented him from coming in as a late-inning defensive replacement in close games, which is something you shouldn't want to do on a regular basis, especially if you're starting Pierre starting in left. And actually, Pierre hit well over .300 as DH. He was better offensively as a DH than he was as a left fielder. In 2010, when you had Pierre and Jones in the same lineup, you had both a better offense and a better defense with Pierre at first base.

And I believe the White Sox would have had a better season, at least a better April, if Pierre had been the DH in 2011. That might not be a popular opinion, but as the Dunn acquisition thread (started before the White Sox re-signed Konerko) documents, it wasn't at all popular when I suggested that Dunn could be a serious downgrade both offensively and defensively over Konerko.

southwstchi4life
02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
For anyone who is calling Ozzie a liar. What if he did say something in spring training last year. Then you'd be mad at knocking the confidence level of there big money free agent down. Or How do you think the front office would be if he made comments like that before he stepped up to the play. Dunn was getting payed huge money. No matter what, He was gonna going to play, weather Ozzie wanted him or not. So people should get off the hating Ozzie band wagon for every little thing.

Frater Perdurabo
02-12-2012, 02:39 PM
For anyone who is calling Ozzie a liar. What if he did say something in spring training last year. Then you'd be mad at knocking the confidence level of there big money free agent down. Or How do you think the front office would be if he made comments like that before he stepped up to the play. Dunn was getting payed huge money. No matter what, He was gonna going to play, weather Ozzie wanted him or not. So people should get off the hating Ozzie band wagon for every little thing.

I don't think anyone has had a problem with Ozzie playing Dunn up until the point that KW said "play the best players, regardless of what they are paid." The only problem we had with Ozzie's handling of Dunn was continuing to have him hit third well after the time that he should have been dropped in the order.

TheVulture
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Read the thread

I think we can all agree the above thread gives me license to continue to wax poetic re: Dunn ad infinitum. I hate to be a bore, though, so I've tried to keep it to a minimum the last nine months. But I gave Sox fans two months before they had seen enough of Dunn whiffing with runners in scoring position. I think I about hit the nail on the head there. And yes, I know all about the blind squirrel.

Frontman
02-12-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm sure we'll all stop hating Ozzie for saying stupid things when Ozzie stops making appearances on Chicago radio saying stupid things, bashing the White Sox organization and acting as if he had gotten his way, they'd World Champions once again.

Once Ozzie goes away AND STAYS AWAY, hard feelings will subside. But like a bad penny, the idiot keeps turning up, shooting his mouth off, and what?

We're supposed to NOT get frustrated with him?

Again, he stops trying to defend his QUITTING on the White Sox last year, I'm sure most of us will stop jumping on him for his commentary.

russ99
02-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Now I get why you are such a big Ozzie fan. Just Ozzie, you also put Guillen ahead of the team itself.

No shock at all you are here defending him.

You are kind of like, Batman, except the only person you ever try and save is Ozzie

No, this has little to do with Ozzie... I put things that MAKE SENSE out there, nothing else.

Maybe in some bizarro major league, it would be possible to bench a player who was signed to be a big part of the team immediately without any chance to break out of it.

Btw: Ozzie's not here anymore, and still this nonsense about benchings, inane batting order notions and the idea that the team should be kowtowing a small, loud but mistaken part of the fan base is still around. Baseball is a professional sport, it's not American Idol where the fans tell the management what to do even if it makes zero sense and has no precedent.

I'm all for second-guessing, but what's gone on the last few years is way, way beyond that. For your own enjoyment of the game, please give Robin and the players a chance before flying off the handle this year.

Boondock Saint
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
No, this has little to do with Ozzie... I put things that MAKE SENSE out there, nothing else.

Maybe in some bizarro major league, it would be possible to bench a player who was signed to be a big part of the team immediately without any chance to break out of it.

Btw: Ozzie's not here anymore, and still this nonsense about benchings, inane batting order notions and the idea that the team should be kowtowing a small, loud but mistaken part of the fan base is still around. Baseball is a professional sport, it's not American Idol where the fans tell the management what to do even if it makes zero sense and has no precedent.

I'm all for second-guessing, but what's gone on the last few years is way, way beyond that. For your own enjoyment of the game, please give Robin and the players a chance before flying off the handle this year.

I must have missed the memo that says batting your worst hitter 9th is inane.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2012, 06:04 AM
I'll support Robin until he puts DHs in CF, puts lousy non-power hitters who field well at DH, and accuses me of pissing on statues.

kufram
02-13-2012, 08:05 AM
I suspect people will support Robin until he has a losing streak. Please let ST start so that there are better things to talk about.

Frontman
02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Robin gets my support for a full year to learn the ropes. 2012 is a learning/rebuilding year anyways.

russ99
02-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I must have missed the memo that says batting your worst hitter 9th is inane.

Earl Weaver came up with this in the 70s. Pretty much still hold true today:

1 Speedy guy who can hopefully get on base
2 Good bat handler
3 Best hitter
4 Best power hitter
5 Second best (contact) hitter
6 Best remaining power hitter
7 7th best hitter
8 8th best hitter/9th best hitter
9 9th best hitter/8th best hitter if he has speed and can get on base.

IMO, this should be the starting batting order.

1) De Aza
2) Ramirez
3) Rios
4) Paulie
5) Viciedo
6) Dunn
7) A.J./Flowers
8) Beckham
9) Morel

Noneck
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM

2 Good bat handler
3 Best hitter
4 Best power hitter
7 7th best hitter

1) De Aza
2) Ramirez
3) Rios
4) Paulie
5) Viciedo
6) Dunn
7) A.J./Flowers
8) Beckham
9) Morel

If you want to go with, 5 Second best (contact) hitter, Thats AJ not Viciedo.

TheVulture
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM

3 Best hitter

3) Rios

Thanks for reminding me how bleak 2012 is for the Sox. I think I'll go cry in my soup now. Is it possible to have half the lineup bat 8th?

Saufley
02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Opening day Dunn went 2 for 4 with 2 RS and 1 HR and 4 RBI.
HIs first 4 games were 14 AB 4 H 3RS 1 HR and 4 RBI. He played Apr. 1,2,3 &5. Then the appendectomy and played again on Apr. 12.

LITTLE NELL
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM

2 Good bat handler
3 Best hitter
4 Best power hitter
7 7th best hitter

1) De Aza
2) Ramirez
3) Rios
4) Paulie
5) Viciedo
6) Dunn
7) A.J./Flowers
8) Beckham
9) Morel

If Rios is our best hitter, we are in big trouble.

russ99
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for reminding me how bleak 2012 is for the Sox. I think I'll go cry in my soup now. Is it possible to have half the lineup bat 8th?

That's more wanting Beckham lower in the order to re-establish himself as a hitter than saying Rios is our best hitter... Ramirez isn't a natural at #2 (or 3 for that matter) either.

Foulke You
02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Rotated? Vizquel started only one game at DH in 2010, the only DH start of his career. His other DH appearances were as a pinch-runner and once as a pinch-hitter, and they didn't occur in 2010.

Pierre started 10 games at DH in 2010, and I believe Jones started left in all of those games. Putting Pierre at DH and starting Jones in left improved the Sox defense. Starting Jones at DH would have prevented him from coming in as a late-inning defensive replacement in close games, which is something you shouldn't want to do on a regular basis, especially if you're starting Pierre starting in left. And actually, Pierre hit well over .300 as DH. He was better offensively as a DH than he was as a left fielder. In 2010, when you had Pierre and Jones in the same lineup, you had both a better offense and a better defense with Pierre at first base.

Pierre and Vizquel combining to DH 11 times is 11 times too many. You don't DH guys who are lucky to finish the season with 1 HR. DH has always been a power position but in 2010 Ozzie kept trying to make it a non-power position. I should have included Kotsay in my description of Ozzie's DH rotation. That was my mistake. The logical thing to do in 2010 would have been to put Jones in RF every day (I agree that he was the better defender) and then DH the defensively challenged Quentin and keep Pierre in LF. This would have given you the best defense and offense.

And I believe the White Sox would have had a better season, at least a better April, if Pierre had been the DH in 2011. That might not be a popular opinion, but as the Dunn acquisition thread (started before the White Sox re-signed Konerko) documents, it wasn't at all popular when I suggested that Dunn could be a serious downgrade both offensively and defensively over Konerko.
I disagree with this. You forget that Pierre was pretty terrible for the first 3 months of the 2011 season. He wasn't getting on base, wasn't getting hits, was stranding runners, and couldn't steal any bases when he did get on. He also gave you very little power numbers. The 2011 White Sox were so flawed offensively that I don't think it would have much of an impact on our season to DH Pierre. Would he have been better than Dunn? Yes, I'll give you that. However, you can say that about most ballplayers last year given Dunn's historic collapse.

russ99
02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Pierre and Vizquel combining to DH 11 times is 11 times too many. You don't DH guys who are lucky to finish the season with 1 HR. DH has always been a power position but in 2010 Ozzie kept trying to make it a non-power position. I should have included Kotsay in my description of Ozzie's DH rotation. That was my mistake. The logical thing to do in 2010 would have been to put Jones in RF every day (I agree that he was the better defender) and then DH the defensively challenged Quentin and keep Pierre in LF. This would have given you the best defense and offense.

There's nothing wrong with rotating the DH to give guys a rest and get normal DH guys a chance to play in the field. I'd expect Ventura to continue this.

Andruw Jones fell off the planet at the plate in late April of 2010 and in May he hit .208 and June he hit .086. So that's why he wasn't in the OF or the DH rotation.
BTW: Kenny had lots of options that offseason, but couldn't scratch together more than 50 cents for the likes of Vlad Guerrero, and instead spent 500K on Jones.

Foulke You
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
There's nothing wrong with rotating the DH to give guys a rest and get normal DH guys a chance to play in the field. I'd expect Ventura to continue this.

Andruw Jones fell off the planet at the plate in late April of 2010 and in May he hit .208 and June he hit .086.

So that's why he wasn't in the OF or the DH rotation.
Giving a guy like Paulie a couple days at DH to rest is one thing. I'm fine with that. At least he is a power hitter who belongs in an offensive spot like DH. I still disagree about having singles hitters like Kotsay or Pierre take up more than half the starts at DH which is what happened in 2010. Jones was a bit streaky in 2010 but his power numbers were there all year. After the bad June you mentioned, he rebounded for 5 HRs in August and then hit 3 more HRs and batted .389 in September. This was all in sporadic and limited plate appearances. Andruw finished the year with 19HRs and 48RBI in only 328PA. If he had gotten more plate appearances, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he could have probably hit 30HR/85RBI. You are entitled to your opinion but I never liked the way Ozzie used the DH in 2010.