PDA

View Full Version : Coop's latest restoration project... Mitch Mustain

doublem23
02-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Highly touted college QB's career in the NFL didn't pan out, supposedly hit 90 on the gun in front of a Sox scout.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-sign-former-star-qb-mustain-to-minor-league-deal-20120209,0,2409569.story

Noneck
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
It sure beats working.

Bobby Thigpen
02-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Wasn't this kid a gigantic pain in the backside as a college football player?

DSpivack
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Wasn't this kid a gigantic pain in the backside as a college football player?

From my recollection, big time recruit with a very meddlesome father, ended up transferring from Arkansas to USC.

doublem23
02-10-2012, 12:09 AM
From my recollection, big time recruit with a very meddlesome father, ended up transferring from Arkansas to USC.

That's our boy. Hopefully falling flat on his face in football will teach him and his family a little humility, but if not, eh, whatever, he's just another one of the thousands of faceless minor leaguers who amount to nothing and disappear with a few thousand dollars and a couple of good stories of faded glory.

Or ****, maybe the Bears could use him. He's probably the 2nd best QB in Chicago now.

DumpJerry
02-10-2012, 07:14 AM
I guess they beat out the Bears (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-sign-former-star-qb-mustain-to-minor-league-deal-20120209,0,2409569.story).

SI1020
02-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Wasn't Joe Borchard a quarterback? KW continues to stockpile bargain basement arms.

DumpJerry
02-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Wasn't Joe Borchard a quarterback? KW continues to stockpile bargain basement arms.
So was Josh Fields. All time passing yards at Oklahoma State.

But those guys also played baseball in college. This kid has not played baseball since high school. He's now 23 years old and apparently washed up as a QB.

ElevenUp
02-10-2012, 07:36 AM
It sure beats working.

Or trying to sell your ADHD meds to undercover cops.

Harry Potter
02-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Clayton Richard as well http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Clayton-Richard-8589

soltrain21
02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Tsk Tsk. Not very observant Mr. Dump.

Harry Potter
02-10-2012, 07:40 AM
And technically Adam Dunn too.

Dunn redshirted at Texas and then was the backup to Major Applewhite.
When Texas brought in Chris Simms, the Longhorns asked Dunn to switch positions (I think to Tight End) but Dunn decided to drop football and focus on baseball instead.

http://cl.ly/4Bbt/the%20more%20you%20know.gif

DumpJerry
02-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Tsk Tsk. Not very observant Mr. Dump.
What the hell are you talking about?

soltrain21
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
What the hell are you talking about?

Thread already exists.

Domeshot17
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
We can't forget Ozzie Guillen favorite Darin Erstad, he was the punter at Nebraska

PaleHoser
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
"90" is the magic number at professional showcases.

I'd much rather see the Sox sign someone that has oh...played BASEBALL sometime in the last five years.

The sad thing is that this signing will probably cost some kid who has devoted his life to baseball the last five years his roster spot.

:gah:

doublem23
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
"90" is the magic number at professional showcases.

I'd much rather see the Sox sign someone that has oh...played BASEBALL sometime in the last five years.

The sad thing is that this signing will probably cost some kid who has devoted his life to baseball the last five years his roster spot.

:gah:

:?:

Are you ****ing ****ting me? Who cares what path any player takes to the Majors, I would prefer the Sox have the best players they can find. Are you upset the Sox turned Sergio Santos into a P and promoted him ahead of all the guys who had been honing their craft on the mound while his career as a SS fizzled? Or are you upset the Sox gave Buehrle a chance to pitch ahead of the 37 guys they drafted ahead of him?

I would say that a guy who hasn't played organized baseball in 5 years, hitting 90 on the gun is extremely impressive. Clearly he has the physical tools to be a Major League pitcher, whether or not he can clean up his mechanics and develop the mindset to pitch is another story entirely, but since this is a minor league contract, there's very little risk for the Sox here. And if he proves he's got what it takes, well then he's a great story, too.

wassagstdu
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
KW said he would rather be a football GM than a baseball GM. Maybe he is just trying to live his dream.

tacosalbarojas
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
No Chris Singleton mention? Well, here it is!

PaleHoser
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
:?:

Are you ****ing ****ting me? Who cares what path any player takes to the Majors, I would prefer the Sox have the best players they can find. Are you upset the Sox turned Sergio Santos into a P and promoted him ahead of all the guys who had been honing their craft on the mound while his career as a SS fizzled? Or are you upset the Sox gave Buehrle a chance to pitch ahead of the 37 guys they drafted ahead of him?

I would say that a guy who hasn't played organized baseball in 5 years, hitting 90 on the gun is extremely impressive. Clearly he has the physical tools to be a Major League pitcher, whether or not he can clean up his mechanics and develop the mindset to pitch is another story entirely, but since this is a minor league contract, there's very little risk for the Sox here. And if he proves he's got what it takes, well then he's a great story, too.

I'm not kidding. The gun is a pet-peeve of mine. Just because a guy can throw hard doesn't mean he can get hitters out. Reference the 2007 White Sox bullpen for proof.

What I can say is that Mark Buehrle would have never been given the time of day at a tryout if he threw right-handed because he didn't throw 90. Left-handers, particularly those with good size, are held to a different standard at a tryout.

It's obvious to me he wants to play football. His stint in Canada is proof of that. If it's my money, I'd rather the Sox give the money to an 18 kid with a good frame who throws 85 with a chance to develop than someone who hasn't pitched competitively in five years.

doublem23
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not kidding. The gun is a pet-peeve of mine. Just because a guy can throw hard doesn't mean he can get hitters out. Reference the 2007 White Sox bullpen for proof.

Yes, that's why he signed a minor league deal and is going to work on his stuff in the minor leagues. It's not like the Sox just inked him to a 10-year, $250 million deal.

Bucky F. Dent
02-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Or ****, maybe the Bears could use him. He's probably the 2nd best QB in Chicago now.

Not likely. The kid at Wheaton College is pretty good.

doublem23
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Not likely. The kid at Wheaton College is pretty good.

I wasn't aware that Wheaton was annexed. :cool:

That should piss my brother-in-law right off.

Lamp81
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I've seen a pic of former Bears QB, Bobby Douglass, in a Sox uniform, circa maybe '76 or '77. Of course in the Veeck era, that could have been a publicity stunt, but Douglass was supposed to have had a rocket for an arm, and was very fast, in the mold of a Michael Vick.

Maybe Lip could fill in details here, but I seem to remember that the Sox either signed him to a minor league contract or just a tryout.

DumpJerry
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
:hurt
Yeah, college football players never really make it in MLB.

soltrain21
02-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Frank was a monster college baseball player more than anything.

hi im skot
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM

I remember when Frank Thomas was a pitcher who gave up baseball after high school, entered the NFL draft, and played professional football in Canada prior to ending up with the Sox.

Lip Man 1
02-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Veeck did sign Bobby to a minor league contract after the Bears let him go.

Lip

DirtySox
02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I remember when Frank Thomas was a pitcher who gave up baseball after high school, entered the NFL draft, and played professional football in Canada prior to ending up with the Sox.

Nice.

TDog
02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I've seen a pic of former Bears QB, Bobby Douglass, in a Sox uniform, circa maybe '76 or '77. Of course in the Veeck era, that could have been a publicity stunt, but Douglass was supposed to have had a rocket for an arm, and was very fast, in the mold of a Michael Vick.

Maybe Lip could fill in details here, but I seem to remember that the Sox either signed him to a minor league contract or just a tryout.

I was going to post this last night. I never saw Bobby Douglass pitch, and I don't know if he ever pitched in the minors. I understand, though, that tried out for the Sox, no earlier than the fall of 1978. Ron Kittle, who was signed as a catcher after an impressive tryout before a September 1978 game in old Comiskey (during which he is said to have hit a line drive through the archway beyond the leftfield lower deck seats), said he caught Douglass during an offseason tryout. He also said Douglass was extremely wild. I was unaware that Douglass signed a minor league contract, and if he did, I don't know that he ever pitched in a minor league game. I only heard the story about his tryout.

I don't believe that is in Ron's book. Maybe it will be in his second, if he ever gets around to writing a second book.

PaleHoser
02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Bobby Douglass pitched four games for Iowa in 1979.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=dougla002bob

Lamp81
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Bobby Douglass pitched four games for Iowa in 1979.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=dougla002bob

That team was managed by TLR, before he was promoted to the Sox, and featured players such as Harold Baines, Lamarr Hoyt, and future Sox coaches Nardi Contreras and Art Kusnyer.

More than likely, Mustains numbers will look like those of Bobby Douglass. Little risk to the Sox though. They're not doing this one as a publicity stunt, as Mustain doesn't seem to have any Chicago area ties.

Falstaff
02-14-2012, 12:20 AM
OK he threw 90mph fastball but if its not hopping that will be a fatball.
I would suggest Coop get busy teaching cut-finger fastball, some kind of
offspeed junk (like knucklball) and sharp break Jenks style curve. If dude is true athlete this is doable. Otherwise, minor league fodder.

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
offspeed junk (like knucklball) and sharp break Jenks style curve. If dude is true athlete this is doable. Otherwise, minor league fodder.Sounds painful.

Daver
02-14-2012, 12:29 AM
offspeed junk (like knucklball) and sharp break Jenks style curve. If dude is true athlete this is doable. Otherwise, minor league fodder.

I hope like hell he doesn't throw a knuckleball, the Sox do not have a catcher at any level that can catch one, Donny Lucy is gone.

doublem23
02-14-2012, 06:31 AM

I'm sure Coop knows what he's doing.

soltrain21
02-14-2012, 10:17 AM

What does being able to throw those type of pitches have to do with being a "true athlete?"

Falstaff
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
What does being able to throw those type of pitches have to do with being a "true athlete?"
What I saying is this ex-quarterback apparently has raw talent to
wing it at 90mpg fastball. He signed for probably more than you or I make
annually to be pro ball player. Now, with one of best coach in the business
(Cooper) we all hope he will do what it takes to learn some actual pitching techniques (ie "offspeed junk") to complement his raw heave-ho. I guess

I'm sayin a "true athlete" is able to apply coaching know-how to raw skill set, and improve. That striving to improve is what makes the great great and perhaps, the true "true".

BTW you'd maybe be surprised to hear that Kobe Bryant hires people during the off season to help him improve various micro-skills in his already elite game.

That said, it strikes me that a QB may have some of the composure it takes to thrive as a closer. And heck, Mariano Riviera has been relying on that cut finger fastball -just one pitch- to great success. Hmmm.. a great pick up maybe.