PDA

View Full Version : Bill James thinks Dwight Evans should be in Cooperstown

Fenway
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
James crunches the numbers

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7555836/an-open-letter-mlb-hall-fame-dwight-evans-rightful-place-cooperstown

Little know fact - Evans hit more homers than any other player in the AL in the 1980's.

WhiteSox5187
02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Why not? He played in Boston so he certainly meets the main criteria.

LITTLE NELL
02-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Solid ballplayer. HOF; no way.

russ99
02-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Why not? He played in Boston so he certainly meets the main criteria.

I hate it when stat guys play favorites.

The thing I really disliked about this piece is where James basically says to discount the first 10 years of his career. HOF is about the whole career...

If Evans gets in, so should Baines, Garvey, Strawberry and a whole slew of less deserving players who had a handful of solid years but many others that keep them from making the cut.

Oblong
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM

We had a similar discussion at our Tigers web site with regard to fangraphs. For some reason they get a bug up their butt about certain organizations who disregard their theories and thus they can't get past that.

PaleHoser
02-10-2012, 09:23 AM
IMO, the most significant statistic is that Dwight Evans made three All-Star teams in a 20 year career.

How can any player be considered a HoF material when he didn't even stand out amongst his peers enough to be selected as an All-Star reserve for 85% of his career?

Golden Sox
02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I would of rather had Evans on my team instead of the Pizza Man (Ron Santo). If the Pizza Man is in the HOF, I would think Evans has a chance of getting in there also. As a matter of fact, I would recommend the Red Sox announcers promote Evans for the HOF on there broadcasts. If they keep promoting Evans game after game, week after week, month after month, year after year. He just might might get into the HOF. The bad guys on the Northside did this for the Pizza Man and it finally got him into the HOF. Evans has more business being in the HOF than the Pizza Man, so I can see this happening sometime in the future.

ohiosoxfan
02-10-2012, 09:28 AM
WOW - three time All-Star. . guess he wasn't even considered that great during his era. Yes, he was a good player (like Jim Rice and Ron Santo). No, he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. Can the practice please stop when someone says so and so should be in BECAUSE this guy is in? Just because a mistake was made doesn't mean we need to multiply the mistake.

asindc
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
We had a similar discussion at our Tigers web site with regard to fangraphs. For some reason they get a bug up their butt about certain organizations who disregard their theories and thus they can't get past that.

That's my biggest complaint about them. They hide behind numbers to justify their biases.

Oh, on Evans? No.

Irishsox1
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
If you stare long enough at something, you see things that are not really there and that's what Bill James is doing here. Someone needs to tap him on the shoulder and wake him up.

Lip Man 1
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
One word...no.

Four words...are you kidding me?

Lip

Fenway
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I certainly have never thought of Dewey as a Hall of Famer but he had a very good career.

Tragg
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

The thing I really disliked about this piece is where James basically says to discount the first 10 years of his career. HOF is about the whole career...

If Evans gets in, so should Baines, Garvey, Strawberry and a whole slew of less deserving players who had a handful of solid years but many others that keep them from making the cut.

Exactly.
You put in Evans - you put in Baines, Dale Murphy and that level of player.

Juice16
02-10-2012, 06:38 PM
IMO, the most significant statistic is that Dwight Evans made three All-Star teams in a 20 year career.

How can any player be considered a HoF material when he didn't even stand out amongst his peers enough to be selected as an All-Star reserve for 85% of his career?

Frank Thomas made the all star team 5 out of 19 years. I can't hold the all star game against Evans when you have idiot fans voting and every team sending a representative.