PDA

View Full Version : 42 - The Jackie Robinson Movie

Fenway
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Shooting will begin in April in Connecticut for 42 a movie about Jackie Robinson

Chadwick Boseman will play Jackie
Harrison Ford will play Branch Rickey
Christopher Meloni will play Leo Durocher

Richard Gere is also involved.

This looks very promising.

gobears1987
02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
It's about time a good baseball movie was made about someone who was actually deserving of having their story told.

StillMissOzzie
02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Shooting will begin in April in Connecticut for 42 a movie about Jackie Robinson

Chadwick Boseman will play Jackie
Harrison Ford will play Branch Rickey
Christopher Meloni will play Leo Durocher

Richard Gere is also involved.

This looks very promising.

And your Oil Caine Boyd thread mentions that the Can is gonna play Satchel Paige in this movie.

SMO
:gulp:

GoGoCrede
02-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I am very excited. Jackie's story is one of my favorites. Did a huge research paper on him a few semesters ago. This better be good. I've always wanted his story to be told on the big screen.

It's about time a good baseball movie was made about someone who was actually deserving of having their story told.

How does one decide what's worthy?

Fenway
02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I am told the plan is to use a NY-Penn stadium in Norwich, Ct as home base and also shoot some scenes at the Brooklyn minor league park.

I hope they include the part where happy Montreal fans chased him in the streets which prompted a writer to say "It was probably the only day in history that a black man ran from a white mob with love instead of lynching on its mind."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6164311

Walter O'Malley never forgot how well Montreal treated Robinson and he championed Montreal getting an expansion team in 1969.

Nellie_Fox
02-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I am very excited. Jackie's story is one of my favorites. Did a huge research paper on him a few semesters ago. This better be good. I've always wanted his story to be told on the big screen. Well, then, you apparently missed Jackie portraying himself in The Jackie Robinson Story:

hCBoskYx3Is

doublem23
02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
After nearly a decade of absolutely miserable, wretched "sports" movies, I have absolutely no hope for this project.

Seriously, I don't think I've seen a sports movie since Friday Night Lights that I enjoyed. ****in' garbage ever since then.

GoGoCrede
02-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Well, then, you apparently missed Jackie portraying himself in The Jackie Robinson Story:

hCBoskYx3Is

Yeah, got some serious egg on my face. I forgot all about that.

SephClone89
02-10-2012, 06:37 AM
After nearly a decade of absolutely miserable, wretched "sports" movies, I have absolutely no hope for this project.

Seriously, I don't think I've seen a sports movie since Friday Night Lights that I enjoyed. ****in' garbage ever since then.

Moneyball (it's an incredible movie, seriously. Loved it in theatres, took in and considered some of the criticisms baseball-wise, saw it again and enjoyed it even more)
The Damned United
Looking for Eric

That's just off the top of my head.

doublem23
02-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Moneyball (it's an incredible movie, seriously. Loved it in theatres, took in and considered some of the criticisms baseball-wise, saw it again and enjoyed it even more)
The Damned United
Looking for Eric

That's just off the top of my head.

I should have clarified American sports films. You are correct I have seen a few foreign films in that time that would qualify, though neither of the two mentioned.

Moneyball sucked.

Golden Sox
02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
O'Malley thought so highly of Montreal (after they treated Jackie Robinson so well) that he backed Montreal as a city for the Expos. He also was very impressed how Brooklyn treated Robinson. He was so impressed that he traded Robinson to the Giants. Robinson retired , rather than play for the Giants. O'Malley then showed his total appreciation to the Brooklyn fans by moving the Dodgers to LA.

pythons007
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I hope its just about Jackie and it doesn't involve a love triangle, to make it more dramatized. Just tell his story and leave it at that!

Fenway
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
O'Malley thought so highly of Montreal (after they treated Jackie Robinson so well) that he backed Montreal as a city for the Expos. He also was very impressed how Brooklyn treated Robinson. He was so impressed that he traded Robinson to the Giants. Robinson retired , rather than play for the Giants. O'Malley then showed his total appreciation to the Brooklyn fans by moving the Dodgers to LA.

O'Malley was part of the search committee to find the right black player for the role.

Truth is the Dodgers KNEW Robinson was retiring as he was offered a big job with a New York City company that was Starbucks of the 50's - Chock Full Of Nuts

http://www.chockfullonuts.com/history.aspx

They tried to scam the Giants but Robinson had already told LOOK magazine of his plans.

cub killer
02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, then, you apparently missed Jackie portraying himself in The Jackie Robinson Story:

hCBoskYx3Is

Exactly. The original is perfect, why bother with another? There's no one better to portray Jackie than Jackie.

asindc
02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Exactly. The original is perfect, why bother with another? There's no one better to portray Jackie than Jackie.

While I agree with you, I think Andre Braugher was splendid in this role:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099311/

Fenway
02-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Well 60 year old movies are lost on the modern generation.

Millions know that 42 is retired but they don't know the real story.