PDA

View Full Version : How Mike Ilitch went from bad owner to good one

Fenway
02-08-2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120204/OPINION03/202040390/Mike-Ilitch-putting-money-where-Tigers-heart-is

Ilitch really is the new Steinbrenner.

asindc
02-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I didn't realize anyone considered Illitch a bad owner at any point. He is the ideal owner if you ask me. Putting winning before profit has always been his philosophy.

russ99
02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I didn't realize anyone considering Illitch a bad owner at any point. He is the ideal owner if you ask me. Putting winning before profit has always been his philosophy.

No kidding. If there's anything that he could be considered bad about him is caving to Boras both when it comes to draft picks and free agents.

Fenway
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I didn't realize anyone considering Illitch a bad owner at any point. He is the ideal owner if you ask me. Putting winning before profit has always been his philosophy.

Mike was not very popular in the first years of Comerica and many fans thought he only cared about the Wings. Illitch to be fair took over a bad situation from the previous owner who hired Bo and fired Ernie Harwell.

The Tigers have a huge hold on Michigan as the ratings of WXYT show.

Irishsox1
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
If only the Tigers pitchers knew how to field ground balls in 2006. There are not that many "upsets" in the World Series but the 2006 Tigers were a much better team than the Cardinals. They blew it.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Never thought he was a bad owner...look what he did with the Red Wings (a team that used to be known as the Dead Things...)

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
If only the Tigers pitchers knew how to field ground balls in 2006. There are not that many "upsets" in the World Series but the 2006 Tigers were a much better team than the Cardinals. They blew it.

The last two times that the Cardinals won the World Series, they were arguably the weakest all-around team that made it in the playoffs. This year's Cardinals team was the very definition of mediocre until the Braves self-destructed and then they got most of the breaks in the postseason. Granted, you can't take away what they accomplished, but there are very few people who would say that the Cardinals were truly the best team in the league.

As for Illitch, he's a great owner. Reinsdorf isn't a "bad" owner, per se, but I think he lets loyalty blind him from making the right decision at times. For such an accomplished businessman, you'd think he'd be able to shut down that impulse.

PKalltheway
02-08-2012, 02:10 PM
No kidding. Alas, such is baseball. The Phillies were a much better than the Cardinals were last year and look what happened. Although it was a short series, Philly top to bottom was a significantly better team. That's why they play the games, though.

Lamp81
02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Anyone else think Ilitch looks like Harpo Marx?