PDA

View Full Version : Bill Beane extended until 2019

Fenway
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/07/SPPF1N48JU.DTL

HomeFish
02-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Today I had a Sabremetrician tell me that Beane is to be praised for "delaying the A's competitive window until they get a new stadium"

gobears1987
02-08-2012, 05:34 AM
He's still a ****ty GM who hasn't won jack since Mulder, Zito, and Hudson left.

russ99
02-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Beane isn't a bad GM, he's a good GM who's hands are tied by a bad owner and a less than desirable stadium - which is that way because the owner caved to Al Davis' demands for more football seats.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Beane isn't a bad GM, he's a good GM who's hands are tied by a bad owner and a less than desirable stadium - which is that way because the owner caved to Al Davis' demands for more football seats.

This is my exact feeling. I was still surprised to see that long of an extension.

moochpuppy
02-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I was still surprised to see that long of an extension.

They had to....he's there biggest 'Star'. :rolleyes:

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-08-2012, 10:45 AM
They had to....he's there biggest 'Star'. :rolleyes:

lol true I get that

doublem23
02-08-2012, 10:49 AM

I'm going to disagree, the A's have made some seriously blunders in the past few years; most notably trading away Carlos Gonzalez. Of course, having an owner with deep pockets helps, but Beane's not exactly been on an inspired run lately.

Fenway
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM

The present owner was not there for either Moneyball or Mt. Davis. Stephen Schott not Lew Wolfe was the 'bad' owner.Schott is a distant relative of Marge Schott.

The A's for allowing the renovations pretty much got a free rent deal from Oakland officials.

Now it appears the Raiders will join with the 49ers in Santa Clara ( doing what the Jets-Giants did in NY ) and the A's will wind up in San Jose.

TDog
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm going to disagree, the A's have made some seriously blunders in the past few years; most notably trading away Carlos Gonzalez. Of course, having an owner with deep pockets helps, but Beane's not exactly been on an inspired run lately.

I was going to post the same thing. Beane seema more hit than miss on recognizing talent, and Gonzalez is a great example. Gonzalez looked like he had the tools to be a star when he came up with the A's in 2008. He was a vast athletic and defensive improvement over the players who got the most time in center the 2007 -- Swisher and post-surgury Kotsay. The Beane knock on Gonzalez was that he didn't walk enough. But Gonzalez looked like a great rookie prospect, and Beane included in a deal for Holliday who Beane only wanted as a commodity to trade for prospects at the deadline.

Beane was a great GM when he had great pitching. Now he seems to live off the excuse that he can't put together a winning team becasue the fans don't support the A's because they need a new ballpark.

Hitmen77
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
The present owner was not there for either Moneyball or Mt. Davis. Stephen Schott not Lew Wolfe was the 'bad' owner.Schott is a distant relative of Marge Schott.

The A's for allowing the renovations pretty much got a free rent deal from Oakland officials.

Now it appears the Raiders will join with the 49ers in Santa Clara ( doing what the Jets-Giants did in NY ) and the A's will wind up in San Jose.

Is Bud ever going to allow that to happen?

I was wondering if Bud's plan is to delay a decision (the commissioner's office has been "studying" this for 1000 days) until it's too late to get a stadium deal in San Jose anyway.

Fenway
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Is Bud ever going to allow that to happen?

I was wonder if Bud's plan is to delay a decision (the commissioner's office has been "studying" this for 1000 days) until it's too late to get a stadium deal in San Jose anyway.

Adding to the drama is Wolfe and Selig were roommates in college.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Guess the A's simply want to keep losing for the next eight or nine years.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
02-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Hey, Moneyball might win an Oscar this year!