PDA

View Full Version : Peavy On Upcoming Season

Lip Man 1
02-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Says he wants 30 starts, 200 innings...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0206-whites-sox-peavy-chicago--20120206,0,5324067.story

Lip

October26
02-05-2012, 06:38 PM
200 innings sounds like a lot for Jake. I'm hoping and :praying: that Jake can stay healthy this year.

SoxSpeed22
02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
170-180 innings might be more realistic. He gets a lot of foul balls, so he's the type to throw a lot of pitches to get outs. I hope he's right though.

GoGoCrede
02-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Good for him setting goals like this. I've got high hopes for him.

DirtySox
02-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Meh. I have low expectations. Thankfully he's gone at the end of the season.

asindc
02-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Cue the inane "He should shut up!" posts.

Falstaff
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
30 starts/200 innings huh? OK I will pencil in a 22-5 record, Jake.

34 Inch Stick
02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I have the same want for him

Noneck
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I dont get it. Isnt this what all veteran starters should do in a season? If hes healthy this is not an accomplishment.

DonnieDarko
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I dont get it. Isnt this what all veteran starters should do in a season? If hes healthy this is not an accomplishment.

Considering what he's coming back from, I would consider that to be an accomplishment.

slavko
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Cue the inane "He should shut up!" posts.

I'll drink to that.

SI1020
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I may have caught more sarcastic invective over this subject than any other one since I've posted at WSI. Jake Peavy came here with declining velocity and when I said I noticed a little whip like finish to his motion that seemed to vary from his SD years, I was told that I was full of it. Apparently others noticed it too and then Jake suffered that uniquely horrible injury. It's hard to pore through medical journals when you're a layman but you can find some case histories. Ripping the tendon that attaches that rather large muscle in place is a very serious injury. I just would not count on much of anything from Jake this year. If he has any kind of a productive year it would be one of the most noteworthy comebacks from a serious injury in baseball history. The acquisition of Peavy looked like a good move to most when KW acquired him. It just hasn't worked out the way we hoped it would.

MetroPD
02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
200 innings sounds like a lot for Jake. I'm hoping and :praying: that Jake can stay healthy this year.
this. Jake is a gamer or at least he talks like one and prior to his injuries was a helluva good pitcher. I hope he's rested enough to last us the season.

Jurr
02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I worry about a detached latissimus dorsi muscle in a pitcher the same way I worry about a disc injury to a hitter (Joe Crede).

That's just a miserable injury to sustain to an absolutely vital anatomical landmark for a pitcher. These guys stress their arms beyond all reason, and medical science doesn't even have much long term study for a reasonable prognosis.

It's anybody's guess.

Most of us knew that Crede was done the moment he had that first disc surgery. The back just receives too much torque for there to be degenerative discs present. The same can be said for a lat muscle detachment on a pitcher.

Hopefully Peavy responds well and has a great year. To doubt this happening is well within reason.

dickallen15
02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I may have caught more sarcastic invective over this subject than any other one since I've posted at WSI. Jake Peavy came here with declining velocity and when I said I noticed a little whip like finish to his motion that seemed to vary from his SD years, I was told that I was full of it. Apparently others noticed it too and then Jake suffered that uniquely horrible injury. It's hard to pore through medical journals when you're a layman but you can find some case histories. Ripping the tendon that attaches that rather large muscle in place is a very serious injury. I just would not count on much of anything from Jake this year. If he has any kind of a productive year it would be one of the most noteworthy comebacks from a serious injury in baseball history. The acquisition of Peavy looked like a good move to most when KW acquired him. It just hasn't worked out the way we hoped it would.

Are you speaking from experience after suffering the same injury patting yourself on the back?

Mod edit: Knock off the personal remarks.

pythons007
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
150 IP would be great.

October26
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
this. Jake is a gamer or at least he talks like one and prior to his injuries was a helluva good pitcher. I hope he's rested enough to last us the season.

Oh, me too. Every time Jake takes the mound, I worry that he's going to tweak something else. And you're right, Jake is a talker. When he speaks, he appears to rub some fans the wrong way. While I'm not quite as animated as Jake is, I can relate to him. Recently, I said something to a friend which I later regretted. I was being honest but I was still wrong. I like Jake and as long as he's wearing a Sox uniform, I'll be pulling for him to do well.

Falstaff
02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
I worry about a detached latissimus dorsi muscle in a pitcher the same way I worry about a disc injury to a hitter (Joe Crede).

That's just a miserable injury to sustain to an absolutely vital anatomical landmark for a pitcher. These guys stress their arms beyond all reason, and medical science doesn't even have much long term study for a reasonable prognosis.

It's anybody's guess.

Most of us knew that Crede was done the moment he had that first disc surgery. The back just receives too much torque for there to be degenerative discs present. The same can be said for a lat muscle detachment on a pitcher.

Hopefully Peavy responds well and has a great year. To doubt this happening is well within reason.

Yes, and Crede's back injury was an echo of Bill Melton 3rd baseman power hitter never was the same in field or at bat following disk job on back.
Baseball puts crazy stresses on the body, (for the players AND for the fans repeatedly lifting foods and liquids to the mouth) . In Jake Peavy situation that herky-jerky pitching motion he prefers specifically puts kinetic energy into that lateral dorsimus anchor point (now like a rusty slinky toy) and is a
recipe to make fans nervous. So I will hold my breath throughout every start he makes. Expect to see him in closer role by ASB, reduced workload.