PDA

View Full Version : radio broadcasts

BuehrleACE56
07-20-2002, 03:15 AM
i like rooney and farmer better than hawk and dj (they're suck-ups to management), but i hate how when listening to that game, you often lose track of pitches, outs, and sometimes a whole inning because of john and ed talking about their golf game or durhams golf game or some sponsor. maybe it was just because tonight was a blowout, but i've noticed it before. any comments?

CLR01
07-20-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
i like rooney and farmer better than hawk and dj (they're suck-ups to management), but i hate how when listening to that game, you often lose track of pitches, outs, and sometimes a whole inning because of john and ed talking about their golf game or durhams golf game or some sponsor. maybe it was just because tonight was a blowout, but i've noticed it before. any comments?

The sponsor's i can see, they have to make money to stay on the air, the outside talk i could do without. One problem though, can we please drop the Hawk and Dj are suck ups routine, Rooney and Farmer do their fair share of it. Besides what do you want them to do, come out and openly criticize their bosses knowing that whatever they say will make its way upstairs??? Im sure you do it everyday right???

oldcomiskey
07-20-2002, 08:56 AM

every so often an idiot remark is made about Hawk Harrelson sucking up to JR. to you I say you havent been paying attention or youre wrong....if he were sucking up he wouldnt get so upset when the Sox lose--he wouldbe more like Chimp and just have an oh well we are losing again attitude

FJA
07-20-2002, 11:33 AM
It's hard to listen to Hawk these days ... you can really tell that all enthusiasm has left his voice. I'm sure JR and KW aren't happy about that. Rooney is a good overall baseball man, so he's a little bit easier to listen to, at least for now. And few things are as funny as listening to Farmer talk about how great he was.

Procol Harum
07-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Anybody else get driven absolutely mad by Farmer's extended discourses on details of California geography, schools, highways, etc., etc. every time a player comes up who's from some place in the Land of Fruits & Nuts? You know: "Jones is from Bakersfield, unlike Rothschild who is from Riverside. Bakersfield is in the Valley about 95 miles north on I-5..." Arrrrgggghhh!

Hey, Xerxes, try your hand at parodying one of those rhetorical rambles for us!

RedPinStripes
07-20-2002, 12:35 PM
:joebatters

"i KISS NO ONE'S ASS"

Ol Aches & Pains
07-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Hawk and DJ are possibly the worst broadcast team I've ever heard. Paciorek was no Vin Scully, but how can anybody say Darrin Jackson is an improvement? Even when I'm watching a game, I'll turn off the sound and listen to Rooney and Farmer instead. Hawk Harrelson is just as bad when it comes to talking about his golf game, or whatever golf course he was on that day. If I wanted to hear about golf, I'd watch golf, for Christ's sake!

duke of dorwood
07-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Dump DJ and the broadcasts and content will improve.

bc2k
07-21-2002, 01:58 AM
Hawkaroo and DJ are terrible broadcasters. They have too much dead air, and DJ is afraid of Hawk. You can tell DJ tries not to say anything that Hawk might disagree with.

Ed and John are professionals. They are also men of detail. The reason Ed goes off on stories is because of his eye for detail. But no matter what story he tells, he'll never miss a pitch. Or if John is doing the play-by-play that particular inning, he won't tell the story over John's pitch calls.

Another reason I enjoy Farmer and Rooney is what they teach me about the game. Farmer has a theory saying that after a pitching coach makes a mound visit, the next pitch will be a strike around 90% of the time. He also knows that it is extremely rare for a pitcher to throw over to first three times in a row. Does our first base coach Gary Pettis even know that?

Combine their knowledge of the game with the ability to communicate it to their listeners is a big reason why I enjoy listening to them. Also hearing Farmer rant about pitch counts is hilarious - but humor aside, he is also correct.

Back on that men of detail topic, they notice players' dress. They realize some people aren't able to watch the game so they paint a picture for them. Ever hear them say, "The Sox are dressed in their road grays with Chicago across the chest, and black hats with a white S-O-X logo." They notice sunglasses on players' hats, joking about the players shielding the sun from the logo on the hat. Farmer and Rooney are the greatest announcers I have ever heard.

I wish Ed Farmer could be the pitching coach and broadcaster at the same time. Listen to him analyze a situation. He knows what to do, his tone alone would help Sox pitchers. It would be a big change from Nardi's screams.

My only complaint of them is their refusual to show possession when talking about a player. For instance, "There was a second inning homer off of Ordonez bat." Instead of Ordonez's. If they fixed that one problem, they would be flawless in my book.

BuehrleACE56
07-21-2002, 02:08 AM
i think my original complaint was brought about because it was a blow out the other night. I just seemed to lose track of a half inning and some outs here or there. but i was working at the time so some of it might be my own doing. tonight's broadcast was awesome. fourteen innings and rooney and ed were awesome. i really enjoyed the game. i cant watch it at work, but at least i can have the one earpiece in and keep up. sucks that we lost. it really broke my heart for gary to pitch well, them to come all that way, and then die. :( I wouldn't mind ed farmer as pitching coach. he seems to know a lot about it and be able to analyze situations. he cant possibly be any worse than nardi.

Daver
07-21-2002, 02:25 AM
Ed Farmer as pitching coach would be a bigger train wreck than Nardi's career has been,Ed can explain situations well,but he cannot teach mechanics or mound discipline.In my opinion Ken Williams let the best candidate for pitching coach walk away from the organization,and the thought of Don Cooper as Nardi's replacement scares me.

Jerry_Manuel
07-21-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by daver
Ed Farmer as pitching coach would be a bigger train wreck than Nardi's career has been,Ed can explain situations well,but he cannot teach mechanics or mound discipline.In my opinion Ken Williams let the best candidate for pitching coach walk away from the organization,and the thought of Don Cooper as Nardi's replacement scares me.

What does Kirk Champion do for the oranization? Is he the AAA pitching coach?

Daver
07-21-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

What does Kirk Champion do for the oranization? Is he the AAA pitching coach?

No,he is the minor league director of pitching,kind of a roving instructor,but he will spend most of his time with the lower A teams,devoloping the talent down there.

CubKilla
07-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Guess I'll throw in my two cents..... I always thought Harrelson was a shill for JR. Defending the "White Flag" trade and twisting bad baserunning into somehow being aggressive on the basepaths etc. But while listening to the game last night, I heard Harrelson say three words that summed up what every White Sox fan was thinking..... "This is terrible." Those three words summed up the White Sox team (exceptions are, of course, PK, Maggs, Buehrle, and, occasionally this season, Garland) and their season since the end of April. You can bet JR doesn't like this coming from his TV announcer, but saying what the Sox fans know should garner some respect from the fan base that do not care for Hawk (me included). White Sox fans will never accept anything short of success and Harrelson, Farmer, and Rooney know this. I like the honest, "This is terrible" Harrelson..... he's talking like a White Sox fan and not a company man. Do we always rip our bosses to their faces and openly criticize them? No. NOBODY DOES! Not Hawk, not Frank, not PK, etc. But I will bet most in here will discuss particular situations with their bosses when the time warrants itself regardless of the consequences (i.e., safety issues, labor disputes, company morale, seniority, etc.). Harrelson not trying to sugar-coat a bad team has garnered a new respect for him from this White Sox fan.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Guess I'll throw in my two cents..... I always thought Harrelson was a shill for JR. Defending the "White Flag" trade and twisting bad baserunning into somehow being aggressive on the basepaths etc. But while listening to the game last night, I heard Harrelson say three words that summed up what every White Sox fan was thinking..... "This is terrible." Those three words summed up the White Sox team (exceptions are, of course, PK, Maggs, Buehrle, and, occasionally this season, Garland) and their season since the end of April. You can bet JR doesn't like this coming from his TV announcer, but saying what the Sox fans know should garner some respect from the fan base that do not care for Hawk (me included). White Sox fans will never accept anything short of success and Harrelson, Farmer, and Rooney know this. I like the honest, "This is terrible" Harrelson..... he's talking like a White Sox fan and not a company man. Do we always rip our bosses to their faces and openly criticize them? No. NOBODY DOES! Not Hawk, not Frank, not PK, etc. But I will bet most in here will discuss particular situations with their bosses when the time warrants itself regardless of the consequences (i.e., safety issues, labor disputes, company morale, seniority, etc.). Harrelson not trying to sugar-coat a bad team has garnered a new respect for him from this White Sox fan.

At this stage of the game I don't think it really matters to JR if Hawk criticizes the team. HELL, they deserve it.

soxtalker
07-21-2002, 01:31 PM

Well, how many of us have either been in or known someone who has been in a job that has become miserable. Hawk sounds like he has reached that point. While this can be taken as a criticism of JR, it might instead be taken as a criticism of KW, the coaching staff, and players. If I remember back to the time just before Hawk took over as GM, it seems to me that he was similarly frustrated. Now, I'm not implying that Hawk would want to come back as GM; I think that it is pretty clear that isn't the case. But I think that you could hear the disgust in his voice back then also. And JR obviously didn't take great offense.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-21-2002, 01:33 PM

I heard that, too. It came after Ordonez led off (?) the inning with a double, then got picked off second base. Yes, what Hawk said was something you would never hear from a clown like Chimp Caray. However, I happen to think the bar of competence ought to be set a way higher than whatever the Cubune uses to put their audience of sheep to sleep.

That was a VERY RARE moment of candor by Hawk. Given the situation, I can't imagine him doing anything less than say, "This is terrible." Damned straight it's terrible! It's been terrible for months.

All of the Sox announcers shill for the team to some extent. However, they are all light-years more honest than those mindless dopes at the Cubune. Having said that, the worst of the Sox shills is Hawk.

Rooney and Farmer are far-superior for offering honest viewpoints about what is happening in the game. They do a far-superior job communicating the details of the game, too. I much prefer listening to them over Hawk & DJ.

Keystone Combo
07-22-2002, 08:42 PM

Bingo....... I found someone I agree with. I can't stand listening to something other than baseball when I tune into a baseball telecast or broadcast.

If I want to listen to golf or Notre Dame....... I will turn to that channel but don't take me away from the ballgame that I want to hear about and if you need some filler for a game let's make it baseball related. We have a grand history of the game and we have all kinds of superstars and teams they can talk about without talking about bunkers and greens and the golden dome!

Darrin Jackson should go away and I wish Wimpy was back at least he was funny and enjoyed what he was doing.

Ed Farmer talks good baseball mechanics and occasional stories but give me Jimmy Piersall anytime, of course we know what Reinsdorf would say about him, don't we? :gulp: