PDA

View Full Version : Serie del Caribe 2012 (2012 Caribbean Series)

October26
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
The 2012 Serie del Caribe (Caribbean Series) began today in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic with the goal of crowning the king of winter baseball.

The four teams playing in this series are:

· Dominican Republic
· Mexico
· Puerto Rico
· Venezuela

I smiled when I saw Pablo Ozuna playing for his native Dominican Republic tonight after he was in Chicago this weekend to attend SoxFest. I also saw Pablo playing last week in the Dominican Republic Championship Game. Gotta love Pablo! :smile:

ESPN Deportes (I just love saying that) is featuring the games and here in Chicago they are on Comcast Channel 609 or Direct TV Channel 432.

You can read more here: Serie del Caribe 2012 Website (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/beisbol/seriedelcaribe2012/&ei=-DgrT_KnKMry2gWg3_38Dg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSerie%2BCaribe%2B2012%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfir)

mahagga73
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
The 2012 Serie del Caribe (Caribbean Series) began today in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic with the goal of crowning the king of winter baseball.

The four teams playing in this series are:

· Dominican Republic
· Mexico
· Puerto Rico
· Venezuela

I smiled when I saw Pablo Ozuna playing for his native Dominican Republic tonight after he was in Chicago this weekend to attend SoxFest. I also saw Pablo playing last week in the Dominican Republic Championship Game. Gotta love Pablo! :smile:

ESPN Deportes (I just love saying that) is featuring the games and here in Chicago they are on Comcast Channel 609 or Direct TV Channel 432.

You can read more here: Serie del Caribe 2012 Website (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/beisbol/seriedelcaribe2012/&ei=-DgrT_KnKMry2gWg3_38Dg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSerie%2BCaribe%2B2012%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfir)
So who you got?Venezuela and DR got to be tough.

October26
02-05-2012, 05:40 PM
So who you got?Venezuela and DR got to be tough.

I don’t have a favorite horse in this race as they say. But I always enjoy watching and talking baseball/béisbol.

Here are a few observations:

After a shocking 0-3 start, Venezuela finally won their first game of the tournament today against Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Republic Team has to be the favorite, as they are the host country and are currently undefeated in this tournament.
There is great energy and enthusiasm on display by the fans attending these games. While I don’t care for the vuvuzelas (too annoying plus I associate these with soccer), I am enjoying the flag waving, salsa dancing, loud cheering, as well as the maraca & tambourine playing which can be heard in the background.
Tonight’s game features the Dominican Republic versus Mexico (I can’t believe that they are actually playing a baseball game at the same time as the Super Bowl!)
I look forward to the day when additional teams are added to the Serie del Caribe. For personal reasons, I would like to see Cuba once again playing in this Caribbean Series. I would also enjoy seeing teams from Panama, Nicaragua, and Aruba. In my opinion, there would be increased competition and excitement if additional teams were added.
Any one of the 4 teams (DR, Venezuela, Mexico, or PR) could win this Series; Mexico is the defending champion.
Who do you think will win the 2012 Caribbean Series?

guillensdisciple
02-05-2012, 06:10 PM
What's the reasoning behind Cuba not being in this thing?

October26
02-05-2012, 06:20 PM
What's the reasoning behind Cuba not being in this thing?

To be honest with you, I did not know. So I did a little research and here’s what I found on Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Series)

I also wanted to mention that there is great fundamental baseball being played in this Series including bunting, advancing runners, throwing to the correct base, throwing out runners as well as good pitching & defense. It is fun to watch.

cub killer
02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
This game right now must be the only other pro sports game being played in all of North America.

October26
02-05-2012, 08:16 PM
This game right now must be the only other pro sports game being played in all of North America.

It's a great game, too, with the DR leading Mexico 1-0 in the 7th inning.

EDIT:

FINAL
Dominican Republic (DR) - 2
Mexico - 0

With the win tonight, the DR Team (4-0) remains undefeated in the Series.

October26
02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
The 2012 Serie del Caribe ended in anti-climactic fashion tonight. As expected, the Dominican Republic (DR) Team won the Championship with a final record of 4-2.

It was a terrific series. ¡Felicidades, Dominicana!

One final story about this Series. If you watched baseball in the 1970's, 1980's, or early 1990's, then you might recognize the name of the Manager of the DR: Ken Oberkfell. Ken played for several MLB teams including the Cardinals, Braves, & Angels. Ken, who did a great job managing in this series, was interviewed after the game. I found it interesting that the reporter who interviewed him had to ask him questions in English (since Ken does not speak Spanish) then instantly translate the answers to Spanish. As someone who has been a translator/interpreter many times, I can tell you that it sometimes takes a moment or two to find the correct words. I can't imagine trying to do this on live television! Perhaps the reporter & Ken had rehearsed this Q&A interview in advance. Maybe not. Regardless, I was impressed with the reporters and broadcasters and congratulate ESPN Deportes on the excellent coverage they provided during the 2012 Serie del Caribe.

WhiteSox5187
02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Why MLB Network doesn't broadcast this stuff is beyond me. Fortunately I get to watch "Intentional Talk" reruns.

October26
02-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Why MLB Network doesn't broadcast this stuff is beyond me. Fortunately I get to watch "Intentional Talk" reruns.

I hear ya. Sorry MLB Network did not cover this series.

FWIW, Major League Baseball had representatives attending these games (they were interviewed during the broadcasts) in the DR and they witnessed the enthusiasm and energy that was on display during the series. Coors was the major sponsor this year, and additional sponsors are being sought for future Caribbean Series. Hopefully, this will all result in more exposure, including additional media coverage by MLB Network and others.

SephClone89
02-07-2012, 10:39 PM

"Intentional Talk" is a real blight upon a network filled with great programming. The new "Clubhouse Confidential" is particularly good, though a bit short.

WhiteSox5187
02-07-2012, 11:10 PM
"Intentional Talk" is a real blight upon a network filled with great programming. The new "Clubhouse Confidential" is particularly good, though a bit short.

I agree, I am not much of a SABRmetric guy but even I like Clubhouse Confidential. Kevin Millar shouldn't be allowed on TV however.

October26
02-08-2012, 08:42 AM

I agree, I am not much of a SABRmetric guy but even I like Clubhouse Confidential. Kevin Millar shouldn't be allowed on TV however.

I agree with both of your comments on Intentional Talk. I have yet to watch an entire Intentional Talk show because it bores me and has little baseball substance. While humor is fun to watch, sarcasm is not. I can't remember the guy's name that does the show with Millar, but they are both equally annoying. I have not watched Clubhouse Confidential, so I'll have to remember to tune in for that.

As for the Serie del Caribe, I believe the 2013 Series will also be held in Santo Domingo, DR. I would really like to see other countries have an opportunity to host the Series.