PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MLB Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2

DirtySox
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
It's getting close to that time of year again. College and high school ball begin around the end of February and early March. Soon we watch the stock of top prospects rise and fall. Still quite early, but the general opinion of the 2012 draft class is that it's relatively weak overall. The strength leans heavily towards the high school ranks, particularly the bats. The college talent is quite thin, which is unfortunate for teams like the White Sox who all but ignore prep players. (The White Sox didn't draft a high schooler until the 33rd round last year)

With the 2012 draft comes the CBA changes that should level the playing field towards teams that don't spend heavily on the draft overall, or over the recommended slot. (see White Sox) With the new spending cap, there remains many questions. Primarily how it will effect high school players. The ability to take prep players in late rounds while throwing them piles of money is no longer an option. One would believe that early rounds are going to be skewed more towards the prep class, as the risk of not signing increases as the bonuses decrease as the rounds progress. Some think it's going to push more players to attend college, while others think it will remain largely unchanged. Jim Callis summarizes the most important changes (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/early-draft-preview/2012/2612892.html), and notes how it could effect teams this summer.

The White Sox gained a supplemental pick this season by offering Mark Buehrle arbitration and him declining it, and eventually signing with Miami. That pick is 48th overall. The White Sox first round pick is 13th overall.

The 2012 draft order looks as such, with only changes to occur when Raul Ibanez and Derrek Lee sign.

First Round:

1. Astros
2. Twins
3. Mariners
4. Orioles
5. Royals
6. Cubs
7. Padres
8. Pirates
9. Marlins
10. Rockies
11. Athletics
12. Mets
13. White Sox
14. Reds
15. Indians
16. Nationals
17. Blue Jays
18. Dodgers
19. Cardinals (from Angels for Albert Pujols, Type A)
20. Giants
21. Braves
22. Blue Jays (for failure to sign 2011 first-rounder Tyler Beede)
23. Cardinals
24. Red Sox
25. Rays
26. Diamondbacks
27. Brewers (from Tigers for Prince Fielder, Type A)
28. Brewers
29. Rangers
30. Yankees
31. Red Sox (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon, Type A)

Supplemental First Round:

32. Twins (for Michael Cuddyer, modified Type A, to Rockies)
33. Padres (for Heath Bell, modified Type A, to Marlins)
34. Athletics (for Josh Willingham, modified Type A, to Twins)
35. Mets (for Jose Reyes, Type A, to Marlins)
36. Cardinals (for Pujols)
37. Red Sox (for Papelbon)
38. Brewers (for Fielder)
39. Rangers (for C.J. Wilson, Type A, to Angels)
40. Phillies (for Ryan Madson, modified Type A, to Reds)
41. Astros (for Clint Barmes, Type B, to Pirates)
42. Twins (for Jason Kubel, Type B, to Diamondbacks)
43. Cubs (for Aramis Ramirez, Type B, to Brewers)
44. Padres (for Aaron Harang, Type B, to Dodgers)
45. Pirates (for Ryan Doumit, Type B, to Twins)
46. Rockies (for Mark Ellis, Type B, to Dodgers)
47. Athletics (for David DeJesus, Type B, to Cubs)
48. White Sox (for Mark Buehrle, Type B, to Marlins)
49. Reds (for Ramon Hernandez, Type B, to Rockies)
50. Blue Jays (for Frank Francisco, Type B, to Mets)
51. Dodgers (for Rod Barajas, Type B, to Pirates)
52. Cardinals (for Octavio Dotel, Type B, to Tigers)
53. Rangers (for Darren Oliver, Type B, to Blue Jays)
54. Cubs (for Carlos Pena, Type B, to Rays)
55. Padres (for failure to sign 2011 sandwich-rounder Brett Austin)
56. Reds (for Francisco Cordero, Type B, to Blue Jays)
57. Blue Jays (for Jon Rauch, Type B, to Mets)
58. Blue Jays (for Jose Molina, Type B, to Rays)
Second-Round Changes
60. Athletics (for Willingham)
68. Padres (for Bell)
69. Mets (from Marlins for Reyes)
70. Twins (for Cuddyer)
75. Phillies (for Madson)
81. Rangers (from Angels for Wilson)
89. Yankees (for failure to sign 2011 second-rounder Sam Stafford)

Supplemental Third Round:

124. Mariners (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Kevin Cron)
125. Marlins (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Connor Barron)
126. Rockies (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Peter O'Brien)

DirtySox
02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
For those who would like to familiarize themselves with players that are currently considered top draft candidates, here are some very early resources. With how early it is, the stock of said players remain largely in flux as one would imagine.

Early Draft Preview: Baseball America's 2012 Top 100 Draft Prospects (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/early-draft-preview/2012/2612884.html)

Jonathan Mayo's 2012 Top 50 Draft Prospects (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/) (Click "Top 50 Draft" on the menu bar at the top. It defaults to current MLB prospects.)

Preseason College Top 2012 Draft Prospects (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/25/2730811/pre-season-college-top-100-draft-prospects)

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/31/2758269/pre-season-high-school-top-100-draft-prospects (Preseason High School Top 2012 Draft Prospects)

Won't let me alter that last link how I want. Receiving a "/vbulletin/editpost.php?do=updatepost&postid=2885976 You don't have access to this area." error.

cws05champ
02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
I saw one mock draft with the Sox picking High School OF David Dahl.....:thumbsup: It's very early still, but I really hope they go with a good high upside guy and not **** this one up.

02-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Any remote chance that Mike Zunino slips to the White Sox?

DirtySox
02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Any remote chance that Mike Zunino slips to the White Sox?

Remote chance? It's possible. But probably not likely. I'm a big fan of his though.

DirtySox
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I saw one mock draft with the Sox picking High School OF David Dahl.....:thumbsup: It's very early still, but I really hope they go with a good high upside guy and not **** this one up.

Every year I get excited about many high school prospects as 1st round picks to no avail. All signs seem to indicate it's JR that is most averse to anything other than college players.

I'm sure I'll start to get intrigued at high school arms/bats that could be available at 13, but let's keep in mind that the White Sox haven't used their 1st round pick on a prep player since 2001 with Kris Honel. They didn't even draft a high schooler until the 33rd round last year. Maybe the new CBA changes things with the Sox? Who knows? I'm not counting on it though.

Myself, I'm interested in players like Walker Weickel, Stryker Trahan, Max Fried, Lance McCullers, Matt Smoral, and Trey Williams from the high school ranks so far.

The safe bet for a White Sox selection are players like Brian Johnson, Victor Roache, Jake Barret, Marcus Stroman, and Michael Wacha. I really like Gausman and Chris Beck, but I don't think they will be around long enough.

Harry Chappas
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Any sense in where the Sox will go in the draft's early rounds as far as pitching and offense is concerned?

DirtySox
02-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Any sense in where the Sox will go in the draft's early rounds as far as pitching and offense is concerned?

Way to early to get a read on what the Sox are looking for. Especially since the system needs a bit of everything. One would hope they just go for BPA. Especially since best player available is now more viable for the Sox considering the CBA changes.

soxfanreggie
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Padres and Blue Jays seem to have the most early picks there with the Cards not close behind.

It will be interesting to see who the Sox pick up. Hopefully we get someone who will make a difference for us in a few years. Sadly, I have the feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that we'll be picking a lot higher than 13th next year.

DirtySox
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Sadly, I have the feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that we'll be picking a lot higher than 13th next year.

It might be for the best. If Kenny wants a quick turnaround in his rebuilding effort there are worse things than a top five to ten draft pick.

As for this year I still think the safe bet is on a college pitcher. That might be for the best as pitching is one thing that organization seems to adequately develop. Much more so than position players.

I've also joined whoever it was on the Dahl bandwagon. 5 tool lefty with great bat speed, plate discipline, power, and a good shot at staying in CF? Yes please. Though I think it's unlikely the Sox pick him.

d5uMvcv4Mxw

EMachine10
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
It might be for the best. If Kenny wants a quick turnaround in his rebuilding effort there are worse things than a top five to ten draft pick.

As for this year I still think the safe bet is on a college pitcher. That might be for the best as pitching is one thing that organization seems to adequately develop. Much more so than position players.

I've also joined whoever it was on the Dahl bandwagon. 5 tool lefty with great bat speed, plate discipline, power, and a good shot at staying in CF? Yes please. Though I think it's unlikely the Sox pick him.

d5uMvcv4Mxw

I agree. We just might need a few very valuable picks that hit with some success to get things going again. Just as I was excited with the Beckham pick, we'll likely have another one (or two) of those type picks to monitor coming up.

DirtySox
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
College ball starts today!

I'll be tuning in to see Stanford/Vandy tonight. Appel faces off against Ziomek. Appel has a very good shot at going number one overall in this year's draft. Ziomek is a 2013 draft candidate, but is a potential top 10 pick in the first round. On Stanford's side Piscotty, Diekroger, Stewart, and Gaffney will be worth watching. Team is stacked. Michael Yastrzemski for Vandy is noteworthy as well.

DirtySox
02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
2012 Draft bonus pools have been released.

The White Sox are allotted $5,915,100 for 11 picks in the first 10 rounds. The extra pick is Buehrle compensation.

For reference the White Sox spent $2,126,300 on draft bonuses in the first 10 rounds in 2011, and $2,786,300 total on the draft.

Keep in mind, with the new CBA a team that exceeds its bonus pool by 0 - 5 percent must pay a 75 percent tax on the overage. The penalties increase, with a 75 percent tax and the loss of a first-round pick for a 5 - 10 percent overage. There is a 100 percent tax and the loss of first and second round picks for a 10-15 percent overage. Last is a 100 percent tax and the loss of two first-rounders for an overage of 15 percent or more.

Also quite significant is that If a team fails to sign a player in the first 10 rounds, its draft cap is reduced by the assigned value of his pick.

Can see each team's bonus pool here (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/02/2012-aggregate-bonus-pools/).

russ99
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
2012 Draft bonus pools have been released.

The White Sox are allotted $5,915,100 for 11 picks in the first 10 rounds. The extra pick is Buehrle compensation.

For reference the White Sox spent $2,126,300 on draft bonuses in the first 10 rounds in 2011, and $2,786,300 total on the draft.

Keep in mind, with the new CBA a team that exceeds its bonus pool by 0 - 5 percent must pay a 75 percent tax on the overage. The penalties increase, with a 75 percent tax and the loss of a first-round pick for a 5 - 10 percent overage. There is a 100 percent tax and the loss of first and second round picks for a 10-15 percent overage. Last is a 100 percent tax and the loss of two first-rounders for an overage of 15 percent or more.

Also quite significant is that If a team fails to sign a player in the first 10 rounds, its draft cap is reduced by the assigned value of his pick.

Can see each team's bonus pool here (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/02/2012-aggregate-bonus-pools/).

Wow, that's an eye opener, even if we only signed 8 players out of the top 10 rounds.

So I wonder what Jerry budgets for this year: Was his cheapness in the draft before more keeping in lockstep with Bud and his slotting system or just plain cheapness...

DirtySox
02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, that's an eye opener, even if we only signed 8 players out of the top 10 rounds.

So I wonder what Jerry budgets for this year: Was his cheapness in the draft before more keeping in lockstep with Bud and his slotting system or just plain cheapness...

Hopefully Jerry budgets what he's allotted. I imagine both factors you mentioned contributed to the menial amount of money spent on the draft.

DirtySox
02-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Piliere's initial draft top 100 is up.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1160365.html

DirtySox
02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
First of what will be many players with some draft helium this year.

Aaron Fitt @aaronfitt Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Starting to hear some No. 1 pick chatter from scouts about USF's Kyle Zimmer. He was up to 99 on Friday with killer curve, tons of strikes.

He's on my potential Sox draft picks list. Being a power armed college pitcher and all. He won't be around at 13 if he keeps it up. Still a ways to go obviously.

DirtySox
02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Bud has said that an international draft is inevitable.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/news/2012/2613020.html

Ben Badler @BenBadler Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
There's a chance 2012 could be the last year without an international draft. More likely, I think we see it in 2014.

DirtySox
02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
First of what will be many players with some draft helium this year.

He's on my potential Sox draft picks list. Being a power armed college pitcher and all. He won't be around at 13 if he keeps it up. Still a ways to go obviously.

More on Zimmer. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/02/san-franciscos-kyle-zimmer-generates-early-draft-buzz/)

DirtySox
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Georgia Southern's Victor Roache broke his wrist. Could miss the entire season. Big blow to his stock. Especially as he was viewed as a 1st rounder, potentially a top 10 pick.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/02/victor-roache-suffers-broken-wrist/

DirtySox
02-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Hahn was scouting Deven Marrero and Brady Rogers on Friday. Deven will assuredly be a 1st rounder. Rogers is probably more of a supplemental or second round pick at this point in time.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-120226-chicago-white-sox-mailbag-gonzales,0,2459267,full.story

DirtySox
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
eric sondheimer ‏ @latsondheimer Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Lucas Giolito line: threw 6 1/3 innings of hitless ball. Finished with one-hitter in 6 1/3. 8 Ks, 0 walks. 81 pitches. HW 11, ECR 0.

Breaking news: Lucas Giolito of Harvard-Westlake just hit 100 mph on a radar gun. Pitching vs. ECR.

Giolito could be the first prep right hander to go first overall in draft history. His teammate Max Fried is also a potential top 10 overall pick.

DSpivack
02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Lucas Giolito line: threw 6 1/3 innings of hitless ball. Finished with one-hitter in 6 1/3. 8 Ks, 0 walks. 81 pitches. HW 11, ECR 0.

Breaking news: Lucas Giolito of Harvard-Westlake just hit 100 mph on a radar gun. Pitching vs. ECR.

Giolito could be the first prep right hander to go first overall in draft history. His teammate Max Fried is also a potential top 10 overall pick.

:scratch:

DirtySox
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM

:dunno:

The 100 mph is the noteworthy part.

DirtySox
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Duke's Stroman was dealing today. His stock is increasing as the transition from reliever to starter has gone rather well so far.

John Manuel ‏ @johnmanuelba Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Stroman hits 94 on pitch 102, his 74th strike, then get K No. 17 on pitch 106. Best single-game K effort on #ACC is 18.

DirtySox
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Sickels and Matt Garrioch have their first combined mock draft up. This is largely for fun and obviously holds no merit whatsoever this early on.

13) White Sox (Matt): Man, why do I have to do the White Sox? They need help everywhere, from the top to the bottom. While looking at prep players is one way to go, there is more room for failure there. Let's try to avoid more of that. They seem to like college pitchers that are close to the majors more than anything else. A player that is deserving of this spot and fits that role is the aforementioned Marcus Stoman, RHP, Duke.

I've been intrigued by Stroman. Need to see how he holds up as a starter though. Also need to see how consistent he can be with his secondaries. Personally, I think I'd prefer Chris Beck is he's still on the board if the Sox go college arm.

BigHurt3515
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Look out for Trenton Moses from Southeast Missouri State. He has great power and good defense from what I watched.

DirtySox
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Nathan Rode ‏ @BAHighSchool Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
BREAKING NEWS: RHP Lucas Giolito is out of the season for Harvard-Westlake. Sprained UCL. No surgery needed. 6-10 weeks rehab. #mlbdraft
Retweeted by conorglassey

Jonathan Mayo ‏ @JonathanMayoB3 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Giolito's injury ends any thought of a high school RHP going No. 1 overall for the first time in #mlbdraft history @mlbdraft

Jim Callis ‏ @jimcallisBA Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Doesn't need surgery now, but no guarantee rest/rehab cure him. Future TJ a possibility. @zukows10: How serious is Giolito injury? #mlbdraft

Quite unfortunate for the kid. Stock has dropped huge. Good chance he goes to UCLA now.

BigHurt3515
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Look out for Trenton Moses from Southeast Missouri State. He has great power and good defense from what I watched.

Stats or Moses through 14 games
Avg- .500 (25-50)
Runs- 18
2B- 4
3B- 1
HR- 6
RBI- 23
SLG%- .980
BB- 12
OB%- .632

DirtySox
04-17-2012, 08:43 PM
The draft is about 7 weeks away, and the pack has started to separate itself a bit. Many consider the top five to include Buxton, Zunino, Zimmer, Appel and Gausman. Wacha has major helium as well. Buxton has largely displaced Appel as the favorite to go 1:1.

Myself, I'm still really high on Marcus Stroman and would love for him to fall to the Sox, but I'd imagine he goes top 10. He's been fantastic this year.

Should be real interesting to see how teams approach the draft with the new limitations. I wouldn't be surprised to see some pre-draft "agreements" for underslot 1st round reaches. This would allow teams to diversify into multiple overslot, higher talent signings in later rounds. For example an expensive "A" first round pick and multiple "C" prospects versus a cheaper "B" first round pick reinvested into multiple "B" prospects in the next few rounds.

Either way, I have a feeling mock drafts are now going to be even more worthless than usual this year.

DirtySox
04-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Sickels and Matt Garrioch have their second mock draft up. Obviously these are largely for fun. Especially with the draft still six weeks away, and the uncertainty of how teams will aproach it considering the drastic changes to the CBA.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/4/24/2971860/2012-baseball-mock-draft-april-edition

I would be rather pleased with the Trahan pick, but as history has shown us the Sox don't draft many prep players. Especially in the 1st round. The last one was Kris Honel in 2001. There does exist the possibility that the draft changes alter the White Sox approach though. Especially since later round prep draft picks now have more incentive to go to college. If the Sox desire any high schoolers, they generally need to be drafted rather early on. (Lest the reallocation scenario.)

DirtySox
05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Baseball America's 1st mock draft is up. Interesting take on it. Especially if the rumors on the prep players are true. Haven't taken a high school player with a 1st round pick since 2001.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/mock-draft/2012/2613371.html

I'd be fine with Smoral or Hawkins. Don't mind Wacha either. Hoping for Stroman or Fried to fall.

DirtySox
05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Big League exec: "This draft is the worst crop of college position players I've seen in my 20+ years of doing this."
Reply Retweet Favorite

DirtySox
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Jim Callis
Lot depends on whether K.Williams thinks they can contend. @ProfessorFog: Are #WhiteSox legitimately on prep players w/1st rder? #mlbdraft

DirtySox
05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
BA's draft top 100 is up.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-preview/2012/2613410.html

05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Where is Nick Williams? (http://www.maxpreps.com/news/xic53hU0rkKOx-vI5KtPjg/nick-williams-hopes-to-defy-the-odds-and-go-in-the-mlb-draft.htm)

DirtySox
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Where is Nick Williams? (http://www.maxpreps.com/news/xic53hU0rkKOx-vI5KtPjg/nick-williams-hopes-to-defy-the-odds-and-go-in-the-mlb-draft.htm)

A bit outside the top 100 presumably. Mayo dropped him to 88 on his revised list.

DirtySox
05-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Alan At Work (Chicago): Keith Law reiterated the White Sox interest in Smoral. Are they sincerely interested in prep players for once? Their track record in previous years has me skeptical as much as I'd like to believe it.

Jim Callis: The White Sox need to rebuild, and Kenny Williams is beginning to realize that, which opens up the possibility they'll take a longer-term view with the draft.

From the BA draft chat going on right now.

Domeshot17
05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
The name I really hope falls to the Sox and they jump all over is Max Fried. Lefty who looks like a future number 1. Lance Mccullers Jr. another Prep Pitcher around out pick I love.

It would be extremely interesting if the Sox landed Fried and then Giolito and his injury concern slid to them in round 2. High School teammates, could be a pipe dream but what a scenerio that would be.

DirtySox
05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
The name I really hope falls to the Sox and they jump all over is Max Fried. Lefty who looks like a future number 1. Lance Mccullers Jr. another Prep Pitcher around out pick I love.

It would be extremely interesting if the Sox landed Fried and then Giolito and his injury concern slid to them in round 2. High School teammates, could be a pipe dream but what a scenerio that would be.

Love Fried as well. Best LHP in the draft. Not that high on McCullers personally, but wouldn't hate the pick.

I'm encouraged by the reports thus far that the Sox might be taking a longer term approach to the farm by actually considering prep players for once.

DirtySox
05-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Sox Not Ruling Out High School Player with 1st Pick (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0517-bits-white-sox-angels-chicago--20120517,0,3921116.story)

I'd be happy with any of the players that were noted. Particularly Smoral, Hawkins, and Dahl.

DirtySox
05-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Mayo's Top Ten Mock Draft (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120516&content_id=31456550&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb)

Next week he will have a top 20, and later a full mock.

DirtySox
05-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Chatting with a Scout about the 2012 Draft (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/5/18/3027124/scouting-reports-2012-baseball-draft)

Some interesting comments, particularly about Stratton, Heaney, and Wacha, who very easily could be potential White Sox picks.

russ99
05-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I hope the Astros grab Buxton.

The top college pitchers look good, but there's no Strasberg there, and you never know how they'll turn out. A toolsy outfielder would be a better pick, especially with the bigger focus on offense in the AL.

Besides, they have some nice pitching prospects already, and look to add more in the midseason deals of Myers, Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee.

DonnieDarko
05-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Chatting with a Scout about the 2012 Draft (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/5/18/3027124/scouting-reports-2012-baseball-draft)

Some interesting comments, particularly about Stratton, Heaney, and Wacha, who very easily could be potential White Sox picks.

All pitchers. We need position players...

DirtySox
05-19-2012, 06:40 PM
All pitchers. We need position players...

The White Sox need everything. The farm is dreadful. As far as starting pitching goes, they have Nestor Molina (who has been mediocre so far) and not much else.

DirtySox
05-19-2012, 06:42 PM

The top college pitchers look good, but there's no Strasberg there, and you never know how they'll turn out. A toolsy outfielder would be a better pick, especially with the bigger focus on offense in the AL.

Besides, they have some nice pitching prospects already, and look to add more in the midseason deals of Myers, Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee.

I hope they take Buxton too, but it sounds like the owner wants a safer, quick to the majors pitcher. It really sounds like they will be taking Appel, who has great stuff but is very inconsistent and doesn't get the results that he should. Twins would love for Buxton to fall to them.

DirtySox
05-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Karkovice will be representing the White Sox at the draft this year. Less than two weeks away. Whispers on who teams are interested in should be rampant soon.

DirtySox
05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Draft 2012: What Your Team Has To Spend (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-preview/2012/2613426.html)

Outlines the basic rules/guidelines on how the CBA changed draft spending. Shows what each team has to spend on the first 10 rounds along with prescribed "slot" value.

EMachine10
05-24-2012, 10:31 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/id/7929824/mark-appel-goes-no-1-houston-astros-first-mock-draft-mlb

Law's mock from a few days ago has Appel going first. He has Sox taking Shaffer (3B from Clemson), but also mentions our supposed ties to Smoral.

DirtySox
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Mayo's 2nd mock:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120524&content_id=32149024&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_32149024

Sox interested in Stratton, Heaney, & Wacha as I previously guessed. I'm more in favor of Heaney and Stratton than Wacha though.

Eye in the sky
05-25-2012, 11:01 AM
If Keith Law and a #2 pencil had a home run hitting contest, who would win?

EMachine10
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
If Keith Law and a #2 pencil had a home run hitting contest, who would win?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RhEYDW1a4l8/Tk7lNkjxGDI/AAAAAAAAAC4/k-PdWtnBdq8/s1600/num2pencil.jpg

DirtySox
05-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Baseball America's Mock 2.0 has the Sox taking Wacha.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/05/mock-draft-v2-0-list-only/

DirtySox
05-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Could still go either way. Hearing both. @professorfog: #WhiteSox moved on to college pitching vs the prep players at this point? #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite

mzh
05-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Could still go either way. Hearing both. @professorfog: #WhiteSox moved on to college pitching vs the prep players at this point? #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite
College pitching? Shocker.

Chris Sale magically fell to us. But after all, since Matt Ginter, Kris Honel, Royce Ring, Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch and Aaron Poreda were all such RESOUNDING Major League successes, why wouldn't they keep going with that strategy?

rdivaldi
05-27-2012, 01:24 AM
College pitching? Shocker.

Chris Sale magically fell to us. But after all, since Matt Ginter, Kris Honel, Royce Ring, Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch and Aaron Poreda were all such RESOUNDING Major League successes, why wouldn't they keep going with that strategy?

Kris Honel was a HS pitcher...

mzh
05-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Kris Honel was a HS pitcher...

I stand corrected. The point remains, though.

rdivaldi
05-27-2012, 11:52 PM
I stand corrected. The point remains, though.

When you look at draft history, the bust factor for high players is greater than college players. Drafting college pitchers is not a bad philosophy, but of course you have to draft the right ones. I would prefer we just take the best player available in the first round, position/age be damned.

BigHurt3515
05-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Trenton Moses out of Southeast Missouri

DirtySox
05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Trenton Moses out of Southeast Missouri

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Great year at SEMO, but I don't see in top 10 rds unless super cheap as 5th-yr SR. @professorfog: Round Trenton Moses is picked? #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite

BigHurt3515
05-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Great year at SEMO, but I don't see in top 10 rds unless super cheap as 5th-yr SR. @professorfog: Round Trenton Moses is picked? #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite

Thank you. I went there last spring and saw him play. He is going to be good but I think he needs to learn 1B.

DirtySox
05-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Baseball America's Top 500 Draft Prospects (http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/?srch=byNatRank&top=500&submit=Search#)

Domeshot17
05-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Another good draft site : http://prospectinsider.com/

My buddy Chris is one of the scouts/writers there. He also writes for ESPN.com, good stuff.

He was telling me the Sox are kind of enamored with Smoral lately. That said, he had them going elsewhere in his mock.

russ99
05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I hope they take Buxton too, but it sounds like the owner wants a safer, quick to the majors pitcher. It really sounds like they will be taking Appel, who has great stuff but is very inconsistent and doesn't get the results that he should. Twins would love for Buxton to fall to them.

After reading this article on Boras and the new draft rules, I'm not so sure:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=7962467&_slug_=scott-boras-ideas-see-baseball-adopt-draft-mlb

The Astros have historically not played Boras' games, especially after they got the shaft in Boras' snarky negotiating tactics with them and the Mets over Carlos Beltran. Crane may be a bit different than previous owner McLane, but he's got smart baseball people running things.

If Boras expects any team (much less the Astros who need every pick) to forfeit a future pick and diminish what they can offer their remaining picks (affecting their signability) looking for an old non-slot bonus as a going price for Appel, good luck with that.

The kid's not Strasberg, and he's not even Porcello. I wonder who's the agent for Buxton.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:10 AM
KG's mock of the first 15 picks:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17223

Has the Sox taking Stroman, but the buzz for them has been around Wacha according to most sources.

I'm a big Stroman fan as I've stated in the past. Two plus pitches, some of the best stuff in the draft. The knock on him is his height obviously. Probably has the greatest upside amongst the second tier of college arms that should be available around pick 13, but he might end up in the bullpen, albeit as an electric closer. I don't see the Sox picking him, but I prefer him to Wacha/Heaney/Stratton who are much safer picks.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
BA's 3rd Mock:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/06/mock-draft-v3-0-list-only/#more-4778

Has the Sox on Wacha again. Fastball/Changeup guy who has inconsistent breaking pitches. Also has some issues with mechanics and repeatability. Middle of the rotation type, maybe a bit more if this breaking pitch can be refined.

Tragg
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
KG's mock of the first 15 picks:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17223

Has the Sox taking Stroman, but the buzz for them has been around Wacha according to most sources.

I'm a big Stroman fan as I've stated in the past. Two plus pitches, some of the best stuff in the draft. The knock on him is his height obviously. Probably has the greatest upside amongst the second tier of college arms that should be available around pick 13, but he might end up in the bullpen, albeit as an electric closer. .
Please. No bullpen pitchers with first round picks. What a waste. Let's draft some high ceiling.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Sickels posted his MLB Draft Top 100 with some blurbs about each player.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/1/3057719/top-100-baseball-draft-prospects-for-2012-scouting-reports

Of late many people are super high on Correa. I'd wager the Cubs are hoping he falls to 6.

Tragg
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM

According to Goldstein's list, Cosart is about it for their system. But they need pitching. They shot their best bullets with Pence, Oswalt and Bourne, but they have a lot of players and prospects that are interesting to show for it.
They may get lucky and get an A prospect for Myers, but I doubt it. Wandy and Lee won't bring much beyond salary relief. All 3 are overpaid. And that's the real mistake the Astros made that put them in this fix - just overpaid too many players.

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Sickels' latest mock draft.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/3/3060886/2012-mlb-mock-draft-johns-version

mzh
06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Sickels' latest mock draft.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/3/3060886/2012-mlb-mock-draft-johns-version
I could live with either Stratton or Stroman. I still hope the Sox pounce on Dahl if he falls to us for whatever reason. I wouldn't object to Wacha either (who seems to be mentioned in connection with the Sox a lot), as far as college righties go.

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
According to source the Houston Astros are expected to select Stanford RHP Mark Appel with the first over all selection in tomorrows draft.
Reply Retweet Favorite

Meh. I'd much rather have Buxton or Correa.

cws05champ
06-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I could live with either Stratton or Stroman. I still hope the Sox pounce on Dahl if he falls to us for whatever reason. I wouldn't object to Wacha either (who seems to be mentioned in connection with the Sox a lot), as far as college righties go.
That's my dream scenario...Sox take Dahl at #13 and get Jorge Soler who just became a FA. Can you imagine those two dynamic talents in the Sox farm system along with a resurgent Jared Mitchell? Yes please!!

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
That's my dream scenario...Sox take Dahl at #13 and get Jorge Soler who just became a FA. Can you imagine those two dynamic talents in the Sox farm system along with a resurgent Jared Mitchell? Yes please!!

I wouldn't mind Dahl. All signs point to college pitching though. The Sox are in love with Wacha it seems. They must be confident in refining a breaking pitch as well as cleaning up his mechanics/delivery.

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Van Dyck notes some names connected to the White Sox that we've heard previously.

Heaney, Stroman, Wacha, Hawkins, and Smoral.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0604-bits-white-sox-mariners-chicago--20120604,0,3932561.story

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
I'm told that #Astros have no decison at 1-1 and are discussing five names. I guess Appel, Buxton, Correa, Gausman & maybe Almora. #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Callis mock: http://ht.ly/blw0B

I'd be interested in Stroman. People are turned off by his size, but it doesn't bother me.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Callis mock: http://ht.ly/blw0B

I'd be interested in Stroman. People are turned off by his size, but it doesn't bother me.

Same. One of my favorite players in this year's draft.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Story on how the new rules will impact Sox and Cubs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0604-rogers-on-baseball--20120604,0,2830493.column

Quotes Callis talking about why the Sox haven't spent money in the past (and may not spend the full amount this time...)

Lip

doublem23
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
OK, looking at the Draft board (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/2012_preview.shtml), why are there 32 first round picks this year? I get that Toronto's pick at 22 was for their unsigned 1st round pick, Beede, last year, so that adds 1 extra pick in the round, so where is the other coming from? I see the other picks that changed hands are all for free agent compensation; Fielder, Pujols, Cuddyer, and Papelbon... But those are picks moving from one team to another, not creating more out of thin air. So where is this mysterious extra pick and why is it there?

sox1970
06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
OK, looking at the Draft board (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/2012_preview.shtml), why are there 32 first round picks this year? I get that Toronto's pick at 22 was for their unsigned 1st round pick, Beede, last year, so that adds 1 extra pick in the round, so where is the other coming from? I see the other picks that changed hands are all for free agent compensation; Fielder, Pujols, Cuddyer, and Papelbon... But those are picks moving from one team to another, not creating more out of thin air. So where is this mysterious extra pick and why is it there?

This is from mlb.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2012/order.jsp

doublem23
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
This is from mlb.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2012/order.jsp

I trusted you, B-R! :whiner:

Simple typo. :cool:

guillensdisciple
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
When do we go in the draft?

I expect analysis on WSI so give it to me please.

KMcMahon817
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM

13th and 48th overall are the first two picks.

Most expect a college pitcher in the first round. Wacha, Stroman, Stratton and Heaney seem to be most discussed.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM

13th in the 1st Round, we have the 48th overall pick in the Supplemental Round (for losing Buehrle), and then basically have the 13th pick in every round from then on.

KRS1
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow, Correa goes first. I've only been reading about these guys for a couple weeks and don't watch much college baseball, but that seems like a surprise. Love his story and character, though.

CoopaLoop
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Can't say I'd be very excited about taking a reliever with a first rounder.

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Given the Twins pitching woes, as great as Buxton is, can they really pass up on Appel?

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Love the pick for Houston. Correa had some huge helium late.

I'd bet the Twins get Appel.

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Buxton it is.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Really hope the Sox grab Stroman. Bring him up to pitch out of the pen for playoff push or what have you, then let him start next season. His stuff is electric. He would be a top 5 pick if he was taller.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Zunino to the M's. Finally can stop pretending Montero can catch.

Personally thought he would slide tonight.

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Zunino to Seattle, no surprise there. They need offense badly.

russ99
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Love the pick for Houston. Correa had some huge helium late.

I'd bet the Twins get Appel.

Fantastic pick for the Astros, and it also means that Crane let his baseball people do their jobs, instead of pushing another pick.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Royals have to grab Appel.

KMcMahon817
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Royals have to grab Appel.

You would sure think so...wow.

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Appel continues to slide. I would really think KC would be hard pressed to not take him though.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Royals remain totally weird, but I don't think it's Appel.
Reply Retweet Favorite

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that Zimmer falls to 13. Long shot though.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
Royals to take Kyle Zimmer.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Time to see if the serious Almora/Cubs link still exists with Appel on the board.

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Dirty: You think the Sox jump on Max Fried if he's around at 13? Him and Dahl are the two high school guys I'd like to see fall.

russ99
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Appel continues to slide. I would really think KC would be hard pressed to not take him though.

At this point there's no doubt - it's Boras' demands.

soxnut1018
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
Cubs taking Almora, which might be the worst-kept secret of the top ten.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Confirmed: #Cubs will take Almora at 6, #Padres take Fried at 7. Think #Pirates & Dahl at 8 are set. Appel to #Athletics at 11? #mlbdraft
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
That's what I was thinking. This reeks of Porcello 2.0.

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
One of the more unpredictable drafts of recent years, that's for sure.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Love Almora. Hope he does well.

asindc
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM

That's the first thing I thought when seeing him still on the board.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm wondering if Courtney Hawkins falls to the Sox. He is a prototypical Kenny pick. Raw, so very toolsy, prodigious power potential, but contact/approach issues.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 06:52 PM
No way in hell. RT @ImDaBaron: @Kevin_Goldstein Would the White Sox take Appel?
Reply Retweet Favorite

mzh
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Another interesting storyline for tonight will be who bites on Giolito, and whether will he sign or play for UCLA.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm wondering if Courtney Hawkins falls to the Sox. He is a prototypical Kenny pick. Raw, so very toolsy, prodigious power potential, but contact/approach issues.

Read something not too long ago linking the Sox to Hawkins.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Love Almora. Hope he does well.

+1. Cubs got a good one, I think.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
We're on the same page, Dirty. Want Stroman bad at this point.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Appel finally gone to Pittsburgh.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Great job Pirates. Don't be scared off by Boras. Huge get.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Great job Pirates. Don't be scared off by Boras. Huge get.

Now they need to get crafty with their budget/signing. They may have to incur the draft pick penalty.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Now they need to get crafty with their budget/signing. They may have to incur the draft pick penalty.

I doubt it. They need some college seniors and easy signs though.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Looks more and more like Wacha will be there for the Sox. Heavy link. Not a big fan though.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba
Hearing Dahl to Colorado
Reply Retweet Favorite

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
I kind of hope the Mets pop Wacha. Serious links to Cecchini though.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Sorry Dahl fans. :(:

KRS1
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry Dahl fans. :(:

Yep, he's the guy I was really hoping for.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Gallo to Oakland? Always reminds me of My Cousin Vinny.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Hmm. Didn't expect Russell that early.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Wacha, Stroman, Hawkins anyone?

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Stroman, please.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Stroman, please.

I still think it will be Wacha. He's regarding highly by many, especially if someone can develop his breaking stuff.

soxnut1018
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Really hoping for Hawkins or Stroman.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Really hoping for Hawkins or Stroman.

Some are whispering it's Hawkins.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Hearing the Mets are going Gavin Cecchini, Louisiana prep shortstop, at 12 to add to the up-the-middle theme #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I still think it will be Wacha. He's regarding highly by many, especially if someone can develop his breaking stuff.

Yeah, BA has him at 9. Law seems to like him, too. He'd change his mind after the Sox take him (half teal).

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales
If Mets select Cecchini, White Sox have choice of college pitchers Wacha or Stroman or prep OF Hawkins. They have plenty of info on Smoral
Reply Retweet Favorite

C'mon, keep up Gonzo!

soxnut1018
06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
#WhiteSox will get some value hear. I think it's Hawkins, Stroman or Wacha. Mock guessed Wacha, I'll guess Hawkins. #mlbdraft

DirtySox
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
#WhiteSox will get some value hear. I think it's Hawkins, Stroman or Wacha. Mock guessed Wacha, I'll guess Hawkins. #mlbdraft
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

DirtySox
Courtney Hawkins to the White Sox via @BAHighSchool
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:28 PM
On the clock!

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:28 PM
First prep player with a 1st rounder since Honel was taken in 2001.

Hell has frozen over.

Kudos to the White Sox for taking who they think is the BPA, no matter the level.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I would lovvvvvvveeeeeeeee to see Giolito here but I doubt Kenny has the stones.

Edit: Guess not, but Hawkins isn't a bad pick.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales
If it's Hawkins, solid pick. Sox stressed upside, and Laumann said three weeks ago this was as good of a year to take a prep player at 13.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

soxnut1018
I love Hawkins' upside.

DirtySox
I would lovvvvvvveeeeeeeee to see Giolito here but I doubt Kenny has the stones.

Edit: Guess not, but Hawkins isn't a bad pick.

Kenny might not have the money.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Word earlier was that the White Sox were working on a deal with Marcus Stroman here. Courtney Hawkins' presence could change that.

KRS1

Good call.

DirtySox
I love Hawkins' upside.

So do I. Some aren't going to be happy though. Long ways away. Very raw, lots of swing and miss to his game, and not the best approach. The tools, and power though. Could be a superstar. Very Mitchell/Walker/Thompson esque based on recent picks.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Good call.

Word earlier was that the White Sox were working on a deal with Marcus Stroman here. Courtney Hawkins' presence could change that.
Reply Retweet Favorite

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Expect pitching all the way at 48. Brady Rogers, Jake Barrett?

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Of course, MLBN will not talk Sox.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:34 PM
First prep player with a 1st rounder since Honel was taken in 2001.

Hell has frozen over.

Kudos to the White Sox for taking who they think is the BPA, no matter the level.

Reposting.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 07:34 PM
So do I. Some aren't going to be happy though. Long ways away. Very raw, lots of swing and miss to his game, and not the best approach. The tools, and power though. Could be a superstar. Very Mitchell/Walker/Thompson esque based on recent picks.

I don't mind the pick, he is worthy of it. What I don't like is, we keep swinging and missing trying to develop a Carl Crawford type.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Also worth noting, that despite great tools he's expected to grow out of CF. Corner OF spot for sure.

soxnut1018
GREAT pick for White Sox. Shouldn't have been there.

sullythered
Stop doing ****ing backflips for TV, kiddo!!!

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't mind the pick, he is worthy of it. What I don't like is, we keep swinging and missing trying to develop a Carl Crawford type.

Indeed. It's kind of concerning that we haven't developed one of these tools guys yet, but of course the risk is greater with these types of players, though the reward potentially is too.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM
@CHawkins10 Twitter account for those who are interested.

DSpivack
Indeed. It's kind of concerning that we haven't developed one of these tools guys yet, but of course the risk is greater with these types of players, though the reward potentially is too.

With raw players they take awhile to develop, no? And that trend in the draft is relatively recent? Jared Mitchell is well on his way, hopefully.

EMachine10
Sign him, get him going. Let's go!

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 07:39 PM

without a doubt. Hawkins is also far better than any of those 3. I mean his potential TOWERS Mitchell, but ****, we better change the gameplan in development for these guys.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:39 PM
With raw players they take awhile to develop, no? And that trend in the draft is relatively recent? Jared Mitchell is well on his way, hopefully.

You are correct. Some of us are getting impatient I suppose. I'm fine with this pick.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
One more pick tonight. Goes through the supplemental for those wondering.

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
You are correct. Some of us are getting impatient I suppose. I'm fine with this pick.

Where are Thompson and Walker this year? I don't remember hearing about them recently.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
HFkSSNQiqk4

soxfanreggie
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the White Sox, Courtney!

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Cleveland has to jump on Wacha or Stroman here.

Tragg
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I think this is an excellent pick.
High ceiling is the idea.

Domeshot17

Mitchell has 63 Strikeouts in 188 At Bats. We could be looking at a guy that K's near 180 times in the big leagues, and he hasn't really shown the 25-30 HR power he needs to justify that.

DirtySox
Where are Thompson and Walker this year? I don't remember hearing about them recently.

Thompson is having another sub-par year in High-A. Walker is kind of mediocre in Low-A. Though Hawkins is seemingly a much better prospect.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Mitchell has 63 Strikeouts in 188 At Bats. We could be looking at a guy that K's near 180 times in the big leagues, and he hasn't really shown the 25-30 HR power he needs to justify that.

Yep. Hoping the K's drop more. He had an amazing first month. The good signs are that the power and walks are way up so far. Any improvement is what I'm looking for.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
White Sox Take Courtney Hawkins (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/06/white-sox-take-courtney-hawkins/)

soxnut1018
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
HFkSSNQiqk4

I think the Sox are going to need to have the Buehrle Tarp Slide talk with him.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Yep. Hoping the K's drop more. He had an amazing first month. The good signs are that the power and walks are way up so far. Any improvement is what I'm looking for.

He is far from a bust, but I am just nervous as hell that the wrong areas are not improving.

Tragg
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
It's reach time in the MLB draft.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Ick. Naquin is a tweener. I can't believe they didn't take Wacha or Stratton.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Merkin reiterates to expect pitching at 48.

KMcMahon817
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Thompson is having another sub-par year in High-A. Walker is kind of mediocre in Low-A. Though Hawkins is seemingly a much better prospect.

True. But Thompson has shown pretty good power numbers despite hitting just .205.

Walker does have 30 swipes already this year.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Oops I missed the Nats pick didn't I? :D:

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Nationals just got an insane steal there.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Phil Rogers
Here's what my guy Kevin Goldstein (Baseball Prospectus) wrote about Courtney Hawkins, the White Sox's pick: "A physical beast at 6-foot-3 and a muscular 210+ pounds, Hawkins has a prototypical right-field profile with plus-plus raw power, plenty of arm strength and excellent athleticism for his size. There are concerns about the amount of swing-and-miss in his game, and some see him as a high school version of Oakland 2010 first-round pick Michael Choice.'' Had him rated 9th overall.

KMcMahon817

Indeed. Only guy I would have preferred the SOX take.

DirtySox

No kidding.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
conorglassey ‏@conorglassey
#Nationals have the No 23 #mlbdraft bonus pool at $4.4 million. Going to be interesting to see the bargains they pick in rounds 2-10.
Reply Retweet Favorite

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
My buddy Chris at prospectinsider.com is running their live draft chat. He said Smoral might be there at 48 for the White Sox, they loved him at 13, but he would be a tough tough sign.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Here is the scouting grades they gave to Hawkins for those who enjoy the number grading

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/courtney-hawkins/

Tragg
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Raw college players aren't my taste because they may be 26 before you straighten them out.
High school players are a different story. The Sox can (and should and better be) working on ridding him of his bad habits on day 1.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
My buddy Chris at prospectinsider.com is running their live draft chat. He said Smoral might be there at 48 for the White Sox, they loved him at 13, but he would be a tough tough sign.

Hawkins and Smoral would be one great pair of picks.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Hawkins and Smoral would be one great pair of picks.

Agreed but Jerry won't pay the price.

cws05champ
06-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Indeed. Only guy I would have preferred the SOX take.
I didn't think Giolito would be there at 13...would have loved that pick even if he needed TJS. Not often you get the chance to draft a true #1 ace type arm.

High ceiling with Hawkins but I really don't like taking guys that have contact/ K issues. I know some guys can overcome that but we haven't seen the Sox have a good track record of developing guys with those issues and helping to fix them.

sullythered
06-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I think the Sox are going to need to have the Buehrle Tarp Slide talk with him.

He did a backflip at the MLB studios right after he got drafted, too... in dress shoes. Scared the hell outta me.

sox1970
06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Kenny already told him "no more back flips".

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Red Sox with a major steal there

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Red Sox with a major steal there

Good value at 24, but I'm not sold on the bat.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Rays did very very well there as well. The run of random questionable picks in the mid round could leave some intriguing names floating into the supplemental.

guillensdisciple
06-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Here is the scouting grades they gave to Hawkins for those who enjoy the number grading

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/courtney-hawkins/

What's the scale on that thing? If it's out of 100, how is that good?

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
And a nice grab for AZ as well, Trahan has some major power.

Tragg
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Will someone tell Selig how to pronounce the La high school names.

Barbe High school is "barb" not "barbie"

Acadiana is A-kay -dee-anna

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM

It's 20 to 80. Standard deviation and all.

shes
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM

20: Very Poor
30: Well-Below Average
40: Below Average
50: Low Average
55: Solid-Average
60: Plus/Above Average
70: Plus-Plus/Well Above Average
80: Outstanding/Top-Tier

thomas35forever
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Lot of ceiling for Hawkins. Let's just hope he doesn't have a Mitchell-type setback.

EMachine10
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Wait, how did Houston get #41 for Clint Barmes??

CoopaLoop
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Hey Dirty Sox, I just want to say thanks for all you do on the minor league board. Lurked it hard before I signed up.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey Dirty Sox, I just want to say thanks for all you do on the minor league board. Lurked it hard before I signed up.

No problem. I welcome any and all to participate in discussion. I wish it was more lively at times.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Plenty of good players left on the board, some with signability issues. I hope the Sox take the BPA at this point but college pitching is my prediction. All things equal I'd love Pierce Johnson, Zach Eflin, Walker Weickel, or Mitch Brown. Smoral and McCullers are probably pipe dreams, but would be great gets as well.

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I will be shocked if the Twins don't pick Mitch Brown right here or at 42.

CoopaLoop
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Good area to take Gallo in the next 5 picks or so. Some one has to bite on that power.

DonnieDarko
06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Good area to take Gallo in the next 5 picks or so. Some one has to bite on that power.

Looks like Texas did.

cws05champ
06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
and he goes to Texas....great.

cws05champ
06-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Matt Smoral still there after 40.....come on drop, baby drop!

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Matt Smoral still there after 40.....come on drop, baby drop!

I have a gut feeling Theo will take him at 43. Hope not.

DonnieDarko
06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I have a gut feeling Theo will take him at 43. Hope not.

We'll find out after this commercial break! :P

EDIT: Nope! He's still there.

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Radford U? Never heard of the school.

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
We're on the clock.

cws05champ
06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Tee'd up!!

Sox have been linked to Smoral....we'll see.

EDIT: Nope.... Keon Barnum

DonnieDarko
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
...who?

Domeshot17
Horrific Pick Here, Insane

www.mlbdraftinsider.com/keon-barnum (http://www.mlbdraftinsider.com/keon-barnum) Has one tool, power. But the power isn't good enough. Not a great pick.

PalehosePlanet
Keon Barnum, 1b.

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Smoral goes to The Jays.

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Horrific Pick Here, Insane
On MLB, they said his swing reminds them of Ryan Howard and his First Base play reminds them of Crime Dog.

CoopaLoop
06-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah I can't say I have ever heard of him. Couldn't find him on any top 100 list. Sigh.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
On MLB, they said his swing reminds them of Ryan Howard and his First Base play reminds them of Crime Dog.

I don't think they say much bad about any prospect. The kid has good power, it may develop, but the rest of his game is not great, especially at that slot, with what was there. It was a bad, very bad, reach.

But he should be an extremely easy sign!!!!

cws05champ
06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Smoral goes to The Jays.

Wow....They get Stroman and Smoral!

bestkosher
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110801&content_id=22616322&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Seems like a good kid.

cards press box
06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Here is a story (http://usf.wtsp.com/news/hs-sports/124131-kings-barnum-ready-bigs) from a local Tampa television station on Barnum.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Asked my scouting buddy for some rough grades on Keon:

60 Power, 30 OBP as potential.

Basically said his ceiling is Mark Reynolds, and its a long ways away.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 10:20 PM
On the phone, said some buzz they wanted Smorel, but had some signability concerns at that spot for passed. White Sox still will not overpay slot.

UofCSoxFan
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Harold Reynolds just said Courtney Hawkins was his favorite pick of the night. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse.

Tragg
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds like an on-the-cheap pick for which the Sox are infamous.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Smorel would have put the Sox at an A+ night 1 grade. They probably end up with a B now, Home Run in round 1, Strike out in Round 2.

sox1970
Sounds like an on-the-cheap pick for which the Sox are infamous.

More like this draft class sucks, so why not take some risky, high upside high schoolers? It's not a bad philosophy for this year's draft.

Tomorrow will be college pitchers from Rounds 2-10.

canOcorn
I don't think they say much bad about any prospect. The kid has good power, it may develop, but the rest of his game is not great, especially at that slot, with what was there. It was a bad, very bad, reach.

But he should be an extremely easy sign!!!!

You mean the MLB Network isn't going to pan one of its members picks? Shocking!

That pick was a horrible reach with the built-in excuse that they wouldn't be compensated if the pick didn't sign.

I'll give them a pass (in that they can't get that pick back next year) that Laumann knew what it would take to keep Smoral away from his NC commit and that it was way, way past any budget Jerry would allow.

Domeshot17
06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
More like this draft class sucks, so why not take some risky, high upside high schoolers? It's not a bad philosophy for this year's draft.

Tomorrow will be college pitchers from Rounds 2-10.

In theory it's a good plan. But they have to be high upside. Keon simply is not.

Tragg
06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
It was very unlikely that they would sign Smoral, so there was no reason to pick him. Nor was there a reason to make a pure absurd pick.

SoxSpeed22
06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I need an answer as to why Appel slipped to the Pirates.
I'm pretty pleased with getting Hawkins. We'll see if this high upside approach pays off. As far as Barnum goes, the guy has some power and bat speed. He will need to understand the nuances of hitting instead of getting by on physical gifts.

UofCSoxFan
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Keon Barnum was a Miami signee so let's not act like he's a complete bum. The kid is 19 years old and has a long time to develop. It's insane to, on the day of the draft, declare any pick a complete reach or a sure thing. To do so show little understanding of how the draft actually plays out.

Smorel would have been a wasted pick. The White Sox historically have never paid above slot and certainly won't do so when there are strict caps in place. To do so for a high school pitcher, coming off injury noless, wasn't going to happen.

Tragg
06-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Not a bum, just a 2 round reach.
Reaches are easier and cheaper to sign at or below slot.

UofCSoxFan
06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
In theory it's a good plan. But they have to be high upside. Keon simply is not.

I don't know much about Keon at all, but MLBTV compared his upside to Ryan Howard...so I would say that qualifies. He has a LONG way to go to get there but he's a left handed bat with power. Let's not act like he's hit his ceiling. FWIW the pick a few slots earlier was compared to Scott Podsednik...now that is a safe pick.

UofCSoxFan
06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Not a bum, just a 2 round reach.
Reaches are easier and cheaper to sign at or below slot.

It's a reach according to various websites, and even some scouts...based on talent alone.

I know we dismiss signability as being cheap, but it actually matters in baseball, particularly for high school players anyway, especialy under the new rules.

The 37th player on MLBTV's big board may not even get drafted since it's going to take big money to sign him away from football.

There may have been better options but if it frees up money to sign another prospect or to invest in a free agent, it's not a terrible pick. Time will tell is all I'm saying.

His stats look pretty pedestrian admittedly (15 RBI's in a Florida high school season hitting over .400 and with 5HR?) but he does have a good looking swing, from the left side...those don't grow on trees. This is a high upside pick in my opinion, that may or may not pan out, but likely won't cost much outside a wasted pick (and at 48 there are few guarantees so I can life with it.

TaylorStSox
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
I don't follow the draft like you guys, but let's not go crazy dogging the Sox. We're getting more production from the last few drafts than any other team in baseball. Sale=top of the line stud. Reed=stud. Beckham=decent player, potential stud. Mitchell=huge setback with good upside. I'm an optimist though.

DSpivack
06-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't follow the draft like you guys, but let's not go crazy dogging the Sox. We're getting more production from the last few drafts than any other team in baseball. Sale=top of the line stud. Reed=stud. Beckham=decent player, potential stud. Mitchell=huge setback with good upside. I'm an optimist though.

TaylorStSox
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM

Sale, Reed, Beckham

SoxSpeed22
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't follow the draft like you guys, but let's not go crazy dogging the Sox. We're getting more production from the last few drafts than any other team in baseball. Sale=top of the line stud. Reed=stud. Beckham=decent player, potential stud. Mitchell=huge setback with good upside. I'm an optimist though.As am I. He had a rough May, but seemed to be turning the corner at the end of the month and turned it into a good June. His defense is already very good and he's the fastest, now that his ankle is healthy. He might be second in best athlete to Hawkins now, but I think we will be seeing Mitchell around 2014 or late 2013.

TaylorStSox
06-05-2012, 01:10 AM
As am I. He had a rough May, but seemed to be turning the corner at the end of the month and turned it into a good June. His defense is already very good and he's the fastest, now that his ankle is healthy. He might be second in best athlete to Hawkins now, but I think we will be seeing Mitchell around 2014 or late 2013.

Walker's probably the best athlete, but might not be very good at baseball.

Moses_Scurry
06-05-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm not a draftologist by any means, so there may be good reasons when teams, including the Sox, do this, but it really bothers me that they took this guy so high in the draft. Did they really think that he would not be available in the 2nd or 3rd round? Why not take the best player available? Isn't that what the draft is supposed to be about? If signability is a problem, then take the best signable player available. You can still get Barnum with a later pick.

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, they could have probably waited 20 more rounds to draft Kenny Jr. How many solid future and maybe current major leaguers, who were signable, did they pass on to draft his kid when they could have easily still drafted him later? He'd still be in the system, and nothing would be different than now except the Sox might have an actual contributor.

wassagstdu
06-05-2012, 06:17 AM
"No question if they make enough contact, they’re going to hit a bunch of home runs. You really don’t want those type of kids to sacrifice their power in order to have a two-strike approach to where you’re going to sacrifice a little bit of power." (Sox scouting director Doug Laumann)

And the Home Run Derby / K parade continues.

DirtySox
06-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Barnum will sign quickly, so there's that.

Moses_Scurry
06-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Barnum will sign quickly, so there's that.

But wouldn't he sign quickly of he were drafted in round 2, 3, or 4?

doublem23
06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
So is Hawkins automatically the Sox #1 prospect when he signs the dotted line?

06-05-2012, 09:09 AM
So is Hawkins automatically the Sox #1 prospect when he signs the dotted line?

Easily.

sox1970
06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd take Mitchell over Hawkins right now.