PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Jackson Signs with the Nats

AzureJazzMan
02-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Bastards! They couldn't have taken him 2 years ago from us :angry:

https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/165141722840571904

Time to flip Floyd to Boston and bring in Lannan? Maybe?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Washington-Nationals-John-Lannan-Edwin-Jackson-Roy-Oswalt-starting-rotation-020212

DirtySox
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Time to rake Boston over the coals for Gavin.

SoxSpeed22
02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
According to Jon Heyman, it's $8-12 million. That's a bit much. Completely agree with DirtySox about needing to take Boston to the cleaners for Floyd.

SI1020
02-02-2012, 02:03 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/165141722840571904 (https://twitter.com/#%21/JonHeymanCBS/status/165141722840571904)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Washington-Nationals-John-Lannan-Edwin-Jackson-Roy-Oswalt-starting-rotation-020212 Yes it does seem like a dirty deal that they sign him now, doesn't it? As for Floyd, I look on next year's rotation with fear and trepidation so if they unload him make Boston or whatever team wants him pay dearly.

VMSNS
02-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I have a feeling that Cherrington is on the phone with Kenny right now talking Gavin Floyd.

DirtySox
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
According to Jon Heyman, it's $8-12 million. That's a bit much. Completely agree with DirtySox about needing to take Boston to the cleaners for Floyd.

It might be a bit much, but he's a decent piece to solidify that rotation. Strasburg, Gio, Edwin, Zimmermann, 5th starter.

Even if the Nats struggle, he will likely be a decent trade chip to dump at the deadline.

kittle42
02-02-2012, 02:34 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Washington-Nationals-John-Lannan-Edwin-Jackson-Roy-Oswalt-starting-rotation-020212

John Lannan is a penniless man's Mark Buehrle.

Fenway
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I have a feeling that Cherrington is on the phone with Kenny right now talking Gavin Floyd.

Cherington said Wednesday that he was unlikely to sign a pitcher before spring training.

eriqjaffe
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
According to Jon Heyman, it's $8-12 million. That's a bit much. Completely agree with DirtySox about needing to take Boston to the cleaners for Floyd.I like Rob Neyer's guess:

Haven't seen details of Edwin Jackson's deal yet, but Scott Boras + Nationals = 7 years, $3 billion.

palehozenychicty
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Good deal for the Nats. When he's on, he's real good. When he's not throwing strikes, bring a board game. They're still at a stage where they can get assets for him at the deadline if they get caught up. Harper could be in the bigs by July-August.

That division is going to be rough. The Phillies still have those arms, but the lineup looks really old. Braves are still waiting on young hitters like Heyward and Freeman to carry the team. The Marlins will be better.

VMSNS
02-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Cherington said Wednesday that he was unlikely to sign a pitcher before spring training.

...and the Tigers also said that they didn't want to sign Fielder because he wasn't "a good fit". Look what happened there.

I've stopped listening to what GMs/players say publicly. Most of the time, they simply aren't telling the truth.

DSpivack
02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Good deal for the Nats. When he's on, he's real good. When he's not throwing strikes, bring a board game. They're still at a stage where they can get assets for him at the deadline if they get caught up. Harper could be in the bigs by July-August.

That division is going to be rough. The Phillies still have those arms, but the lineup looks really old. Braves are still waiting on young hitters like Heyward and Freeman to carry the team. The Marlins will be better.

It might be baseball's most fun division. Makes me wish I still lived in Atlanta or DC.

Funny, you in New York left out the Mets. Oy, the Mets.

asindc
02-02-2012, 03:56 PM
It might be baseball's most fun division. Makes me wish I still lived in Atlanta or DC.

Funny, you in New York left out the Mets. Oy, the Mets.

A lot has happened in little over five years, huh?

DSpivack
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
A lot has happened in little over five years, huh?

Yup.

AzureJazzMan
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
John Lannan is a penniless man's Mark Buehrle.

Which is why it's a fit...We no longer have a Mark Buehrle and according to KW we're penniless

HomeFish
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
It is super weird to be a fan of both the White Sox and the Nationals. One of my teams hates Boras and refuses to deal with him, the other is one of Boras's best partners. :scratch:

Moses_Scurry
02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Washington is going to be really good. I wish I wish I wish they would have signed Fielder. They would have been incredible.

asindc
02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
It is super weird to be a fan of both the White Sox and the Nationals. One of my teams hates Boras and refuses to deal with him, the other is one of Boras's best partners. :scratch:

Tell me about it. I often find myself having to defend the Nats management here and the Sox management on wnff.net. As far as Boras is concerned, the two teams are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. While almost no one here suggests that the Sox should give in to Boras (Fenway being the obvious exception), there are a good number of Nats fans who say give him what he wants. And oh yeah, **** Bora$s.

HomeFish
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Tell me about it. I often find myself having to defend the Nats management here and the Sox management on wnff.net. As far as Boras is concerned, the two teams are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. While almost no one here suggests that the Sox should give in to Boras (Fenway being the obvious exception), there are a good number of Nats fans who say give him what he wants. And oh yeah, **** Bora$s.

I'm also a wnff.net member, and I did a double take the moment I saw something to the effect of "he's a Boras client so we have an inside track"

VenturaFan23
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Washington is going to be really good. I wish I wish I wish they would have signed Fielder. They would have been incredible.

Yeah that would have been cool but unfortunately Victor Martinez had to get himself injured and out for the season.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Why, so we could've had a few extra months of seeing how much Adam Dunn sucks? :tongue:

StillMissOzzie
02-03-2012, 12:41 AM

I'm also a wnff.net member, and I did a double take the moment I saw something to the effect of "he's a Boras client so we have an inside track"

Because the Nats are so pleased with how the Werth signing has worked out so far?

SMO
:?::scratch::gulp:

Falstaff
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
This big signing is vindication that Falstaff is not the only GM out there who sees tremendous lasting value in Edwin Jackson pitching. When the man lights up he is filthy good; especially since Coop convinced him "just throw strikes".
I am glad we won't be facing EJ during the season, only if both teams make the WS. Mark my words: 2012 will see EJ post a better record than Cy Peavy.