PDA

View Full Version : Parent On "Fundamentals"

Lip Man 1
02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
If this actually comes to pass it will be a refreshing change:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0201-white-sox-chicago--20120201,0,4811621.story

Lip

shingo10
02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Sounds great except for the whole "Orioles Way" thing. I understand they were a much better organization back in the 80's and such but they've been terrible for a long time now.

But that's just nitpicking. Bring on a season filled with actual execution of fundamentals. It's been too long.

kufram
02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
He sounds like my kind of guy. Can he actually do it? Admitting the problem is the first step.

Noneck
02-01-2012, 12:01 PM
It sounds to me like he has a problem with how things are being done in the minor league system. Hope changes will be made.

thomas35forever
02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Any type of consistency in this organization's philosophy would be a nice step in the right direction.

DrCrawdad
02-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Don't we see these types of articles every year before the season starts?

I hope it proves to be true but I'll believe it when I see it.

delben91
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't we see these types of articles every year before the season starts?

I hope it proves to be true but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, but it's a new regime, so willing to see what they actually do before dismissing it as something that won't happen.

WhiteSox5187
02-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, but it's a new regime, so willing to see what they actually do before dismissing it as something that won't happen.

There's a new manager but Kenny is still the guy in charge so I don't think there will be too much of a change.

delben91
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
There's a new manager but Kenny is still the guy in charge so I don't think there will be too much of a change.

Maybe, but Kenny's not the guy on the field supposedly teaching anything...

tstrike2000
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
The coaching staff seems pretty solid. Hopefully some our guys have some comeback years this year.

skobabe8
02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Maybe, but Kenny's not the guy on the field supposedly teaching anything...

If Kenny wanted consistency throughout all levels, we would have had it by now. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to value this approach.

Milw
02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
If Kenny wanted consistency throughout all levels, we would have had it by now. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to value this approach.
Fair point, but just because he doesn't value it doesn't mean he's somehow against it as a concept. It's not like he's sitting there saying, "No, we must be inconsistent."

Falstaff
02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
You can call me crazy but how about really invigorating spring training and team spirit by inviting various White Sox retired heroes to participate in ST?
After all, a veteran superstar does not fade because he has forgotten the nuances of playing MLB. With aging, the body declines, especially the legs and reaction times. But a guy like Fisk or Dye or Crede or Black Jack or Wilbur Wood or Bucky Dent... these guys are an untapped treasure of baseball know-how. How about Frank Thomas mentoring Adam Dunn on adjusting to the DH role and American league heat? White Sox alumni have alot to offer and I bet some would leap at the chance to be a part of the organization, if only for a month or so. Oh yeah, and work on fundamentals. Bucky Dent knows how to bunt.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I know in the past Ozzie had guys like Ventura and Jack around to help for a few days in spring training.

Don't know if Frank has been there or not. According to Roland Hemond, Wilbur Wood no longers travels and thinks its because of the leg issues that started when his kneecap was shattered in 1976.

I think Fisk has been around from time to time but I can't confirm that. Dent is an interesting name...he's managed and coached but I don't know if he's working for another organization. In that case he couldn't show up at Sox spring training.

Lip

Falstaff
02-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Imagine Chet Lemon sharing thoughts about playing CF... couldn't hurt, eh?