PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox announce plan to slow secondary market of cheap seats

Fenway
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
This is a new wrinkle - person who buys the ticket must swipe credit card used to buy them to be admitted. :scratch:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/01/red_sox_to_try.html?p1=Well_Sports_links

Scottiehaswheels
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Should end that sellout streak within the first couple weeks I would imagine.

mrfourni
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Seems like an effort to eventually put ticket brokers out of business and ultimately funnel the secondary market through MLB's preferred vendor (Stubhub).

russ99
01-27-2012, 05:22 PM
This is a new wrinkle - person who buys the ticket must swipe credit card used to buy them to be admitted. :scratch:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/01/red_sox_to_try.html?p1=Well_Sports_links

Trent Reznor set up the last Nine Inch Nails tour with this swipe-for-admission idea.

I like this idea, more getting extras from people who are going and less scalpers and ticket brokers.

I wonder though if this will inflate prices on Stub Hub, as it's usually pretty easy to score an inexpensive ticket to a sporting event there. I got my tickets to the game I went to in Boston 2 summers ago from Stub Hub and I didn't feel that I got gouged.

DumpJerry
01-27-2012, 06:09 PM
What if you want to pay cash at the Box Office for an advance purchase? How will it work? What about people who buy a season ticket holder's tickets for a game with cash or a check?

How would Jimmy Fallon's partners get into the game if their seats are moved to the cheap seats?

Fenway
01-27-2012, 06:21 PM
What if you want to pay cash at the Box Office for an advance purchase? How will it work? What about people who buy a season ticket holder's tickets for a game with cash or a check?

How would Jimmy Fallon's partners get into the game if their seats are moved to the cheap seats?

You can get a re-loadable debit card at the Red Sox team store which can be refilled at CVS.

Huisj
01-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Can you give tickets to someone as a gift anymore? If I buy two tickets for me and a friend and then I can't go, does my friend have to take my credit card to the park?

I'd hate to be working at the gate the first time an angry customer is turned away because he doesn't have the right credit card with him. There could be quite a confrontation.

Fenway
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Can you give tickets to someone as a gift anymore? If I buy two tickets for me and a friend and then I can't go, does my friend have to take my credit card to the park?

I'd hate to be working at the gate the first time an angry customer is turned away because he doesn't have the right credit card with him. There could be quite a confrontation.

I have no clue how this can go smoothly.

soxfanreggie
01-27-2012, 10:48 PM

I don't think it can; however it's not for all games - only 30 - and only for the "cheap seats". Still, I think this sounds as popular as a Bank of America per month fee.

Fenway
01-27-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't think it can; however it's not for all games - only 30 - and only for the "cheap seats". Still, I think this sounds as popular as a Bank of America per month fee.

The rules apply for 30 games this season, including the home opener, series against the New York Yankees and interleague play against the Atlanta Braves.

"cheap seats" this year... I have a sense the bubble is going to burst this year..fans are still very angry at how 2011 ended.

DumpJerry
01-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Why am I picturing lines outside the gates two blocks long?

So, if a teenager and his buddy go with dad's ticket, does the teenager have to take Pop's credit card to get it?

HomeFish
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I hope no team whose games I regularly attend adopts this policy.

Hendu
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Seems like an effort to eventually put ticket brokers out of business and ultimately funnel the secondary market through MLB's preferred vendor (Stubhub).

That's just wishful thinking. It won't stop the brokers. They'll just work the price of an extra ticket into what they charge, then one of the brokers will meet the purchasing group at the gate, swipe their card and walk them into the stadium. There was an article in the Trib not too long ago that went into this...I think it was the Paul Simon show at the Vic where the brokers had to do this (since they also required credit card swipes for admission to that show).

Boondock Saint
01-30-2012, 03:23 PM
I like the intentions of the idea, but the execution of it just creates more problems than it solves.

Oblong
01-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to restrict those seats from Stub Hub, meaning you can't list them, and then make them all Will Call on day of game, say within a 2 hour window of game time? That would be a pain too but at least you segregate the people affected somewhat. Then all the other ticket holders don't have to swipe.

Fenway
01-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to restrict those seats from Stub Hub, meaning you can't list them, and then make them all Will Call on day of game, say within a 2 hour window of game time? That would be a pain too but at least you segregate the people affected somewhat. Then all the other ticket holders don't have to swipe.

One thing they have done in recent years is they sell day of game seats at Gate E which can be in all price ranges - but you must enter the park as soon as you buy them.

Oblong
01-30-2012, 11:33 PM
yeah something like that. It's a small set of seats and he inconvenience could easily be justified as simply looking out for the fans and ensuring that there's an opportunity for Red Sox fans to attend a game at a relatively small price. Tell people that once they swipe and get their ticket there's no re-entry.

I personally like MLB's arrangement with Stub Hub. It's well regulated. The secondary market is not going away. At least this way with the barcodes you can control it and with the use of credit cards you can protect the consumer. As long as you buy it from Stub Hub they can trace the before/after transactions for any funny business. Teams would rather their season ticket holders get in on the action instead of a handful of ticket brokers. And the teams get their cut too.

Fenway
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
I still have my Dad's Red Sox seats which go back to the 1960's. To save some money I elected to get the smart card instead of ticket book BUT I have the option of sending the barcode by email to anybody else.

What the Red Sox are trying to do is reduce the number of printed tickets with dead barcodes.

yeah something like that. It's a small set of seats and he inconvenience could easily be justified as simply looking out for the fans and ensuring that there's an opportunity for Red Sox fans to attend a game at a relatively small price. Tell people that once they swipe and get their ticket there's no re-entry.

I personally like MLB's arrangement with Stub Hub. It's well regulated. The secondary market is not going away. At least this way with the barcodes you can control it and with the use of credit cards you can protect the consumer. As long as you buy it from Stub Hub they can trace the before/after transactions for any funny business. Teams would rather their season ticket holders get in on the action instead of a handful of ticket brokers. And the teams get their cut too.

gobears1987
01-31-2012, 06:10 AM
This is something that other teams should look at.

Fenway
02-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Red Sox just sent out an email about the plan.

After a successful pilot program for select season ticket holders in 2011, the opportunities to have tickets delivered electronically will be expanded for the 2012 season. Having your tickets delivered electronically provides fans with a variety of benefits:

You will never forget your paper tickets at home again - they will be stored directly on your credit card!
Avoid will call lines at the park
Simply scan your credit card at the Gates to gain admittance to Fenway Park
Check back for more digital ticketing opportunities coming soon! Other programs will include:

Have all of your single game ticket purchases delivered digitally
Manage your inventory electronically
Send your tickets to your family and friends via email

As part of an ongoing effort to provide fans and families with more opportunities to purchase the most affordable seats at Fenway Park, the Red Sox are offering a new Digital Ticket Initiative for 2012. Through this new program, fans will be allowed to purchase most $12 Upper Bleacher seats for the 30 most highly sought after games of the season and have them delivered electronically. Rather than printed tickets, fans will have the tickets sent to their credit card which will then be swiped at the Fenway Park gates to gain entry to the ballpark.

Available Seating - $12 Upper Bleachers
All tickets will be delivered to your credit card via Tickets@Entry only
No tickets will be printed. Only the holder of the original credit card and their guests will be granted admittance to the ballpark.
Tickets purchased through this program cannot be resold or redistributed
Scan your credit card at Gate B or Gate C to gain admittance to Fenway Park
Your entire party must be present and enter the gates at the same time
The 30 games initially available will include:

April 13 vs Tampa Bay Rays
April 16 vs Tampa Bay Rays
April 20-22 vs New York Yankees
June 8-10 vs Washington Nationals
June 22-24 vs Atlanta Braves
July 6-8 vs New York Yankees
July 16-19 vs Chicago White Sox
July 20-22 vs Toronto Blue Jays
August 3-5 vs Minnesota Twins
August 24-26 vs Kansas City Royals
September 11-13 vs New York Yankees

DumpJerry
02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
What about people under 18 and others who cannot get a credit card?

Tannerfan
02-01-2012, 01:29 PM

People without credit cards, and under age 18 can't afford Fenway Park.
...I'm only half kidding.

Oblong
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM

How would they have gotten the tickets before and how would they have gotten to the game?

We're really talking about a small subset of instances here.

Parents buy these select tickets for their kids, and send them off by themselves to the game? Yes it happens but I think the benefits of this program far outweigh that situation.

The days of 12 year olds walking up to the gate by themselves and getting tickets for 2 bits are long gone, especially at Fenway Park.

As for the ticketless options.... what do you do when someone's in your seat? Whip out your credit cards and wait for a stadium worker with a scanning device?

Part of the romance of being a season ticket holder is getting the book every year with the fancy tickets. Last year the Tigers even added a spiral binding and put your name on the glove on the front picure. Little things like that it cool to be a season ticket holder. I also like putting on an old coat in November and finding a ticket from the previous April.