PDA

View Full Version : ventura's aim---from ESPN

oldcomiskey
01-26-2012, 06:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/8468/venturas-aim-early-sense-of-urgency

Moses_Scurry
01-26-2012, 06:48 PM
An early sense of urgency sounds pretty good to me after the starts we've had to endure the last two seasons.

#1swisher
01-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Sense of urgency is about right. Win early and keep winning.

LITTLE NELL
01-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I agree that its very important that the boys need a real good start.
Ventura has to have these guys ready coming out of ST. Ozzie did not do that the last few STs.
If Dunn struggles the first month we could easily see another 2011 by him with a loss of confidence and possibly an early retirement.

Noneck
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
If Dunn struggles the first month we could easily see another 2011 by him with a loss of confidence and possibly an early retirement.

Who will take this early retirement? Surely not Dunn giving up over 30M for 2013 and 2014.

Maybe you mean Ventura or the chairman..

LITTLE NELL
01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Who will take this early retirement? Surely not Dunn giving up over 30M for 2013 and 2014.

Maybe you mean Ventura or the chairman..

I'm talking Dunn, I'm praying that it doesn't happen but if he stinks up the place again he needs to look in the mirror and say to himself I have too much pride to continue this.

Noneck
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm talking Dunn, I'm praying that it doesn't happen but if he stinks up the place again he needs to look in the mirror and say to himself I have too much pride to continue this.

Please tell me 1 pro athlete that has given up anywhere near that kind of money because of being crappy.

LITTLE NELL
01-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Please tell me 1 pro athlete that has given up anywhere near that kind of money because of being crappy.

This one.
http://www.newsy.com/videos/royals-pitcher-gil-meche-retires-early-leaves-12-million/

Noneck
01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
This one.
http://www.newsy.com/videos/royals-pitcher-gil-meche-retires-early-leaves-12-million/

Well if Dunn does it before 11/6/12, he has my vote for president and hopefully many more.

slavko
01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
It's a good argument, guys, but I'm on the side of the underachieving athlete deluding himself that he sees the light at the end of the tunnel and continuing to cash those checks. Not because he's a bad guy, but because nobody wants to see the negative side of reality.

October26
01-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Sense of urgency is about right. Win early and keep winning.

:thumbsup:

So great to have Robin back home with the Sox, where he belongs. And I love his attitude/mindset.

russ99
01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
:thumbsup:

So great to have Robin back home with the Sox, where he belongs. And I love his attitude/mindset.

While I'm a big fan of Robin and any improvement on the starts we've had the last few years would be great, the truth is that there are challenges for players the first month and a half playing in Chicago, unless the weather would be dramatically better this year (possible since the weather is so screwed up). This is especially so for the hitters.

Considering the players are already whining on Twitter about the cold coming to SoxFest. I'd like to see a lot more mental toughness from these guys to start the year rather than preaching about how we need to start strong. BTW: Ozzie said that the last few seasons too...

doublem23
01-27-2012, 08:44 AM
While I'm a big fan of Robin and any improvement on the starts we've had the last few years would be great, the truth is that there are challenges for players the first month and a half playing in Chicago, unless the weather would be dramatically better this year (possible since the weather is so screwed up). This is especially so for the hitters.

Considering the players are already whining on Twitter about the cold coming to SoxFest. I'd like to see a lot more mental toughness from these guys to start the year rather than preaching about how we need to start strong. BTW: Ozzie said that the last few seasons too...

God, I am so tired of this ridiculous weather excuse. The average high/low in Chicago in April is 60/41. In Boston, it's 56/40. In New York, it's 62/44. Somehow the cold has not stopped the Red Sox or Yankees from playing exceptional baseball recently.

Bad players play bad baseball no matter what the weather is like.

Hitmen77
01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
God, I am so tired of this ridiculous weather excuse. The average high/low in Chicago in April is 60/41. In Boston, it's 56/40. In New York, it's 62/44. Somehow the cold has not stopped the Red Sox or Yankees from playing exceptional baseball recently.

Bad players play bad baseball no matter what the weather is like.

Yeah, no kidding. Last I heard, both teams have to play in the same weather. It's not like our division rivals get to play their home games in a different climate either.

October26
01-27-2012, 09:32 AM

I hear you, russ99.

While April/May weather in Chicago is annoying and unpredictable, I hope Sox players can move beyond the whining. I was a big Ozzie supporter when he was here and wish him well now that he is Miami (along with all of my annoying Cuban relatives).

My post was intended to show support for Robin as the new Sox manager. I am pleased with what I have read and heard of Robin's approach/attitude, so far.

asindc
01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah, that weather excuse has got to go, especially when Texas and LAAAA roll in here early in the season and beat us and our division rivals (except for KC) play in the same conditions.

Nellie_Fox
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
BTW: Ozzie said that the last few seasons too...I was wondering if anybody was going to point this out. Talk is cheap; it takes money to buy whiskey.