PDA

View Full Version : Anyone receive this call from Bacon?

thomas35forever
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/RaferWeigel/status/162589914402263040/photo/1

#1swisher
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
gordonbeckham

Had fun making sales calls today! I met a guy who is named
"night train"...shockingly that doesn't happen every day...

Vernam
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Beckham misheard Danks and Quentin when they said he should really shoot to cash in during his arbitration year. He thought they said "aberration." Everything will be better this year.

I'm glad this thread exists so I don't have to create one for the Trib story about Beckham (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-beckham-it-was-time-for-changes-with-the-sox-20120126,0,5429331.story). He may miss Ozzie more than he realizes, which is a lot.

Here's a riddle: What's the major difference between Gordon Beckham and Brian Anderson, apart from how long one has gotten, compared to the other, to prove he has a loopy swing and can't hit? Great defense, though.

Vernam

FielderJones
01-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Here's a riddle: What's the major difference between Gordon Beckham and Brian Anderson, apart from how long one has gotten, compared to the other, to prove he has a loopy swing and can't hit?

Beckham's not as big a party boy?

Vernam
01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Beckham's not as big a party boy?

I suppose one of the possibilities is that he holds his liquor better or at least is smarter about who he tussles with. He sure hit it off with AJ, who is definitely an Ozzie guy. Beckham may be on my **** list, but I have to admit the earlier Chosen One never had anything like the two big hot streaks Beckham has had at the plate. That's part of what's so frustrating about him, because he showed flashes of being a major threat. Now that his "aberration" of a year has helped cost his friend the former hitting coach his job, he'll probably be pressing even more at the plate. Let's hope he turns out to be a great reclamation project for Walker's successor. I suppose I'd place his chances of a big year somewhere above those of the Three Albatrosses, but not a whole lot higher since they're the ones who've actually experienced some extended success.

Vernam

russ99
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Beckham misheard Danks and Quentin when they said he should really shoot to cash in during his arbitration year. He thought they said "aberration." Everything will be better this year.

I'm glad this thread exists so I don't have to create one for the Trib story about Beckham (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-beckham-it-was-time-for-changes-with-the-sox-20120126,0,5429331.story). He may miss Ozzie more than he realizes, which is a lot.

Here's a riddle: What's the major difference between Gordon Beckham and Brian Anderson, apart from how long one has gotten, compared to the other, to prove he has a loopy swing and can't hit? Great defense, though.

Vernam

That's easy. Beckham didn't get a team record signing bonus. It's OK Brian, you don't have to work hard, here's all this cash.

Also, Bacon was rushed to the bigs, while Anderson put up good numbers in the minors and couldn't replicate it vs. big league pitching.

Success in baseball is all about how one handles adversity. Anderson couldn't, let's see about Gordon...

doublem23
01-27-2012, 08:50 AM
That's easy. Beckham didn't get a team record signing bonus. It's OK Brian, you don't have to work hard, here's all this cash.

Also, Bacon was rushed to the bigs, while Anderson put up good numbers in the minors and couldn't replicate it vs. big league pitching.

Success in baseball is all about how one handles adversity. Anderson couldn't, let's see about Gordon...

Top 5 Signing Bonuses in Sox history

Joe Borchard, 2003 - $5.3 M
Dayan Viciedo, 2008 - $4.0 M
Gordon Beckham, 2008 - $2.6 M
Jason Stumm, 1999 - $1.75 M
Chris Sale, 2010 - $1.7 M

DumpJerry
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Joe Borchard, 2003 - $5.3 M
Dayan Viciedo, 2008 - $4.0 M
Gordon Beckham, 2008 - $2.6 M
Chris Sale, 2010 - $1.7 M

Doub, you really need to lighten up with using facts. They always, ALWAYS, mess up what is otherwise a valid argument.

DumpJerry
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM

I was wondering who is this person I never heard of. I looked him up. Wow, what a bust (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=stumm-001jas). Who thought he was worth a First Round pick out of high school, or did he get injured for seven years?

EDIT: Google directed me to this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2908) little nugget.

tstrike2000
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I would've sworn Kris Honel would've been on that list of record signing bonuses, and was surprised he wasn't #5.

Vernam
01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
EDIT: Google directed me to this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2908) little nugget.

Awesome! How soon do you think we can expect him to start contributing? Sounds like a solid middle-of-the-rotation guy.

Vernam

eriqjaffe
01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Here's a riddle: What's the major difference between Gordon Beckham and Brian Anderson, apart from how long one has gotten, compared to the other, to prove he has a loopy swing and can't hit? Great defense, though.Beckham didn't have to fill The Shoes Of Aaron Rowand?

DumpJerry
01-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Vernam
Gordan is a class act while Anderson is just an ass.

palehosepub
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I suppose one of the possibilities is that he holds his liquor better or at least is smarter about who he tussles with. He sure hit it off with AJ, who is definitely an Ozzie guy. Beckham may be on my **** list, but I have to admit the earlier Chosen One never had anything like the two big hot streaks Beckham has had at the plate. That's part of what's so frustrating about him, because he showed flashes of being a major threat. Now that his "aberration" of a year has helped cost his friend the former hitting coach his job, he'll probably be pressing even more at the plate. Let's hope he turns out to be a great reclamation project for Walker's successor. I suppose I'd place his chances of a big year somewhere above those of the Three Albatrosses, but not a whole lot higher since they're the ones who've actually experienced some extended success.

Vernam
I love that name it is spot on. 2012 Slogan material.

doublem23
01-27-2012, 12:01 PM
I was wondering who is this person I never heard of. I looked him up. Wow, what a bust (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=stumm-001jas). Who thought he was worth a First Round pick out of high school, or did he get injured for seven years?

Highly touted high school player who blew his arm out and never recovered. Think Kris Honel v. 1.0.

russ99
01-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Doub, you really need to lighten up with using facts. They always, ALWAYS, mess up what is otherwise a valid argument.

It still is a valid argument. Beckham got less than half of Anderson's franchise record bonus.

eriqjaffe
01-27-2012, 04:40 PM
It still is a valid argument. Beckham got less than half of Anderson's franchise record bonus.By "Anderson," do you mean Joe Borchard?

DumpJerry
01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
It still is a valid argument. Beckham got less than half of Anderson's franchise record bonus.

By "Anderson," do you mean Joe Borchard?
Now you, too, want to throw in facts to ruin an otherwise 100% valid argument?

Vernam
01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Now you, too, want to throw in facts to ruin an otherwise 100% valid argument?

I'll never forget Joe Borchard's diving catch to clinch the Blackout Game. :gulp:

Vernam

TaylorStSox
01-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I'll never forget Joe Borchard's diving catch to clinch the Blackout Game. :gulp:

Vernam

He's also responsible for the 2 hardest hit baseballs I've ever seen.

KMcMahon817
01-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Gordan is a class act while Anderson is just an ass.

Gordon.

doublem23
01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
He's also responsible for the 2 hardest hit baseballs I've ever seen.

Unfortunately those 2 hits account for rough 12% of his entire career's offensive output.

Vernam
01-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Gordon.

As someone whose career has long depended on good spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I'd like to say that I think correcting someone's typo on a message board is one of the lamest forms of Internet expression, which is quite saying something. Unless somebody's completely abusing the keyboard, just let it go.

Vernam

Nellie_Fox
01-28-2012, 12:30 AM
As someone whose career has long depended on good spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I'd like to say that I think correcting someone's typo on a message board is one of the lamest forms of Internet expression, which is quite saying something. Unless somebody's completely abusing the keyboard, just let it go.

Vernam
The term "typo" is misused on message boards. A typographical error is when you accidentally hit the wrong key, usually one that's right next to the one you want. The "a" and the "o" aren't even typed with the same hand.

I always crack up at how indignant people get when spelling or grammar is corrected. On many boards that aren't as closely moderated as this one is, you can question another poster's sexuality, impugn their parentage, accuse them of ingesting illegal substances, challenge their IQ, and that's all just part of the give and take. But correct their spelling or grammar, and oh boy, that's stepping over the line! We'll have none of that here, mister!

Vernam
01-28-2012, 12:56 AM
The term "typo" is misused on message boards. A typographical error is when you accidentally hit the wrong key, usually one that's right next to the one you want. The "a" and the "o" aren't even typed with the same hand.

Whatever. :rolleyes: Since the guy generally posts intelligent stuff, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he actually knows it should be "Gordon" and not "Gordan." No, I take it back -- I really don't give a ****. I'm sure you think you're clever by trying to parse the word "typo," which has nothing to do with whether the false keystroke was intentional or accidental. I wasn't trying to infringe on your god-given right to point out typos, errors, or whatever you want to call them. Knock yourself out if it gives you some satisfaction or if you think it's a public service of some sort. It strikes me as sad, yet funny.

And in our land of the free, I dearly hope I didn't overstep my bounds by politely stating a personal preference on this matter, "professer." That's quite different from actually trying to tell people how to behave, which seems to be your bag. So you let me know, and I'll sure conduct myself accordingly. I hope that's accommodating enough for you.

Vernam

bigdommer
01-29-2012, 09:01 AM

I always crack up at how indignant people get when spelling or grammar is corrected. On many boards that aren't as closely moderated as this one is, you can question another poster's sexuality, impugn their parentage, accuse them of ingesting illegal substances, challenge their IQ, and that's all just part of the give and take. But correct their spelling or grammar, and oh boy, that's stepping over the line! We'll have none of that here, mister!

Hi pot, meet kettle. (or should I use capitals)

If KMcMahon has a beef with Vern, I am sure he will speak up.

SephClone89
01-29-2012, 09:20 AM

No capitals, but a question mark inside those parentheses would sure come in handy.

Nellie_Fox
01-29-2012, 11:50 PM

If KMcMahon has a beef with Vern, I am sure he will speak up.So why are you putting your two cents in?

DrCrawdad
01-30-2012, 08:38 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/RaferWeigel/status/162589914402263040/photo/1 (https://twitter.com/#%21/RaferWeigel/status/162589914402263040/photo/1)

Did Beckham have to make 40-50 calls in an 8 hour day, like my crappy job?

http://www.urbanmonarch.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/my-job-sucks.gif

KMcMahon817
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Vernam

Hahahaha, easy Champ. Peace on Earth. Clearly that bugged you, just like someone spelling an easy name wrong bugs me. Just let it go.