PDA

View Full Version : A little T & A

kermittheefrog
07-20-2002, 12:06 AM
I think Chris Kharl is pretty dead on analyzing the Sox here although I think he could have used to mention Tim Hummel. I like the comparison of K-Willy as GM to Hawk Harrelson. Funny since I remember Hawk trumpetting how Kenny made the right moves and who could know they'd turn out that bad.

Optioned 2B/CF-L Willie Harris to Charlotte; recalled RHP Matt Ginter from Charlotte. [6/25]

Outrighted RHP Ryan Kohlmeier to Charlotte. [6/26]

Activated C-R Sandy Alomar Jr. from the DL; optioned C-R Josh Paul to Charlotte. [6/30]

Acquired IF-B D'Angelo Jimenez from the Padres for OF-L Alex Fernandez and C-R Humberto Quintero, and optioned Jimenez to Charlotte. [7/12]

Talk about interesting moves... the White Sox get D'Angelo Jimenez for practically nothing? Sure, Alex Fernandez might turn into a prospect someday, but so far, he's young (21) and not noticeably good at anything. Humberto Quintero is not a prospect. Most interestingly, the Sox are playing Jimenez at shortstop in Charlotte. With Royce Clayton destined to finally be somebody else's problem in 2003, and both Kenny Lofton and Ray Durham entering free agency as well, that makes for some intreguing signals to be giving off in mid-July. The Sox have Jose Valentin to play shortstop next year (or right now), and with Jimenez, Joe Crede and Willie Harris, the Sox could turn over second base, third base and center field to young players while trading off Lofton and Durham in a surrender every bit as unequivocal as the one the Indians have already made.

The shocker is that the White Sox have to stoop to this. After blowing it in consecutive years, though, the Kenny Williams Era has the misfortune of being twice as long and several times worse than Hawk Harrelson's. To Williams' credit, he has a healthy swag of talent at his disposal if he cares to use it. Harris is a better second baseman than someone like Chad Meyers, but he's also potentially a good center fielder. Jimenez is probably destined for second base, but there are worse shortstops playing in the majors today. Crede should be the White Sox' third baseman starting now and at least five or six years into the future.

The question is whether Jerry Manuel is the manager to weave in that talent, and his recent work isn't cause for confidence. Harris got to stick around for one start and three pinch-hit at-bats in two weeks on the roster, and this at Manuel's request, to get up to 14 position players. Did Manuel really give this all that much thought? In DH-less games, that gave him six players on the bench, instead of the four he was used to with 13 position players and nine hitters in the lineup. As far as putting Harris to any good use, this didn't work. It could have worked, but Manuel didn't make it work.

As for reactivating Sandy Alomar Jr., this creates an opportunity for the Sox. If they can creep back to within five games of the Twins before the month's end, they can hold onto him. If they don't, and he shows he's healthy, they ought to deal him to a contender, along with shopping Lofton or, much as it pains me as a fan of the Little Bull, Durham. The Snakes are the obvious target, but the Giants or even the Angels wouldn't be bad choices either.

LongDistanceFan
07-20-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think Chris Kharl is pretty dead on analyzing the Sox here although I think he could have used to mention Tim Hummel. I like the comparison of K-Willy as GM to Hawk Harrelson. Funny since I remember Hawk trumpetting how Kenny made the right moves and who could know they'd turn out that bad.

Optioned 2B/CF-L Willie Harris to Charlotte; recalled RHP Matt Ginter from Charlotte. [6/25]

Outrighted RHP Ryan Kohlmeier to Charlotte. [6/26]

Activated C-R Sandy Alomar Jr. from the DL; optioned C-R Josh Paul to Charlotte. [6/30]

Acquired IF-B D'Angelo Jimenez from the Padres for OF-L Alex Fernandez and C-R Humberto Quintero, and optioned Jimenez to Charlotte. [7/12]

Talk about interesting moves... the White Sox get D'Angelo Jimenez for practically nothing? Sure, Alex Fernandez might turn into a prospect someday, but so far, he's young (21) and not noticeably good at anything. Humberto Quintero is not a prospect. Most interestingly, the Sox are playing Jimenez at shortstop in Charlotte. With Royce Clayton destined to finally be somebody else's problem in 2003, and both Kenny Lofton and Ray Durham entering free agency as well, that makes for some intreguing signals to be giving off in mid-July. The Sox have Jose Valentin to play shortstop next year (or right now), and with Jimenez, Joe Crede and Willie Harris, the Sox could turn over second base, third base and center field to young players while trading off Lofton and Durham in a surrender every bit as unequivocal as the one the Indians have already made.

The shocker is that the White Sox have to stoop to this. After blowing it in consecutive years, though, the Kenny Williams Era has the misfortune of being twice as long and several times worse than Hawk Harrelson's. To Williams' credit, he has a healthy swag of talent at his disposal if he cares to use it. Harris is a better second baseman than someone like Chad Meyers, but he's also potentially a good center fielder. Jimenez is probably destined for second base, but there are worse shortstops playing in the majors today. Crede should be the White Sox' third baseman starting now and at least five or six years into the future.

The question is whether Jerry Manuel is the manager to weave in that talent, and his recent work isn't cause for confidence. Harris got to stick around for one start and three pinch-hit at-bats in two weeks on the roster, and this at Manuel's request, to get up to 14 position players. Did Manuel really give this all that much thought? In DH-less games, that gave him six players on the bench, instead of the four he was used to with 13 position players and nine hitters in the lineup. As far as putting Harris to any good use, this didn't work. It could have worked, but Manuel didn't make it work.

As for reactivating Sandy Alomar Jr., this creates an opportunity for the Sox. If they can creep back to within five games of the Twins before the month's end, they can hold onto him. If they don't, and he shows he's healthy, they ought to deal him to a contender, along with shopping Lofton or, much as it pains me as a fan of the Little Bull, Durham. The Snakes are the obvious target, but the Giants or even the Angels wouldn't be bad choices either.

question, who is going to be interested in sandy or for that fact royce? (according to other sources of royce on the market)