View Full Version : Red Sox make Edwin Jackson an offer

#1swisher
01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
JimBowdenESPNxm

Red Sox have made offers for Edwin Jackson and are presently in
discussions with him and prefer him over Roy Oswalt according to
source

MLB Trade Rumors
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-have-made-offer-to-edwin-jackson.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Fenway
01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
JimBowdenESPNxm

Red Sox have made offers for Edwin Jackson and are presently in
discussions with him and prefer him over Roy Oswalt according to
source

MLB Trade Rumors
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-have-made-offer-to-edwin-jackson.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Of course they prefer Jackson - he is cheaper.

tstrike2000
01-25-2012, 04:17 PM

And 6 years younger.

kittle42
01-25-2012, 04:21 PM
The quest to play for every MLB team continues!

soltrain21
01-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Because that's what the Red Sox are always looking to do. Go cheap.

PalehosePlanet
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM

With declining velocity on his fastball, as well as it being straight as an arrow, Oswalt would be making a huge mistake coming over to the AL. Just my opinion, but as blah as Edwin Jackson is, the BoSox would probably still be better off with him. Also, Oswalt is a bigger injury risk.

doublem23
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Because that's what the Red Sox are always looking to do. Go cheap.

Oh, don't rain on the Red Sox fan pity party... WAH our team is so cheap, to the tune of a $170 million payroll. We didn't win last season! BOO HOO... Sounds like ****ing Yankee fans.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh, don't rain on the Red Sox fan pity party... WAH our team is so cheap, to the tune of a $170 million payroll. We didn't win last season! BOO HOO... Sounds like ****ing Yankee fans.

They are having a heck of a time trying to fit under the luxury tax threshold. They dumped Scutaro for almost nothing. I find it hilarious that so many Red Sox fans are accusing the organization of being cheap.

doublem23
01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
They are having a heck of a time trying to fit under the luxury tax threshold. They dumped Scutaro for almost nothing. I find it hilarious that so many Red Sox fans are accusing the organization of being cheap.

Seriously, it'd be pathetic if it wasn't so funny. Well, it's actually still pathetic.

asindc
01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
With declining velocity on his fastball, as well as it being straight as an arrow, Oswalt would be making a huge mistake coming over to the AL. Just my opinion, but as blah as Edwin Jackson is, the BoSox would probably still be better off with him. Also, Oswalt is a bigger injury risk.

I agree. I think Oswalt is more a name than anything else at this point. He would be Lackey 2.0 for them IMO.

Irishsox1
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Even though Jackson hasn't sign yet, he's been traded again.

DumpJerry
01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Even though Jackson hasn't sign yet, he's been traded again.
:scratch: He's a free agent.

Fenway
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Our media leads the chorus

It's a good thing baseball is adding another playoff team this year, folks, because the Red Sox might have missed the postseason again otherwise.

They still might. (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2012/01/is_american_league_passing_red.html)

soltrain21
01-25-2012, 05:19 PM
:scratch: He's a free agent.

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/thats_the_joke.jpg

Golden Sox
01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Everybody always mentions the horrible Peavy, Rios, and Dunn deals. Danny Hudson for Edwin Jackson has to rank as one of the worse moves By Ken Williams. If we still had Hudson, we would be able to move Gavin Floyd for a decent ballplayer and our team would be better off.

PaleHoser
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Everybody always mentions the horrible Peavy, Rios, and Dunn deals. Danny Hudson for Edwin Jackson has to rank as one of the worse moves By Ken Williams. If we still had Hudson, we would be able to move Gavin Floyd for a decent ballplayer and our team would be better off.

Don't forget the millions in extra payroll to boot.

Regarding my feelings about Edwin Jackson, note line one of my signature.

|
V

soltrain21
01-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Don't forget the millions in extra payroll to boot.

Regarding my feelings about Edwin Jackson, note line one of my signature.

|
V

He looks out your window, too?

Falstaff
01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Truth be told, Edwin Pitched in playoffs and world series this year and did all that was asked of him for the winners. With glass arm Peavy leading the rotation in '12 the White Sox would be wise to make overture to bring EJ back.
This is a man who continues to improve , has live arm, and has no hitter to his credit. No injury concerns. Good attitude. So stop hating on him. I am hoping KW traded him last season with intention of re-signing at this time. Remember, no "I" in team but there is a "win" in Edwin.

kittle42
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Truth be told, Edwin Pitched in playoffs and world series this year and did all that was asked of him for the winners. With glass arm Peavy leading the rotation in '12 the White Sox would be wise to make overture to bring EJ back.
This is a man who continues to improve , has live arm, and has no hitter to his credit. No injury concerns. Good attitude. So stop hating on him. I am hoping KW traded him last season with intention of re-signing at this time. Remember, no "I" in team but there is a "win" in Edwin.

Wow. So many things wrong here.

1. The use of "hating" for expressing an opinion that Edwin Jackson is not really a very good pitcher.

2. He pitched in the playoffs and World Series but was mediocre.

3. He does not "continue to improve."
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksed01.shtml
He's all over the map, just like his career. He's on his 6th team already - seems like one of those Loaiza types who might find a career year sometime, but that's about it.

Tragg
01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
At least Jackson produced for us (in contrast to Peavy, Rios and Dunn). ON the other hand, we really didn't give up much for Peavy in terms of players....Hudson was our best prospect (withheld from the Peavy trade)and considering that Arizona was looking to dump salary, we way overpaid (and threw in a very good low minors pitcher as well). (compare to what we get when we dump salary).

Frater Perdurabo
01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
The quest to play for every MLB team continues!

Dave LaPoint 2.0

Chez
01-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Can we really have a serious Edwin Jackson discussion without hearing from Khan? Where's Khan?

soltrain21
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Can we really have a serious Edwin Jackson discussion without hearing from Khan? Where's Khan?

Still working on the longest message board post in history by breaking down someone's post word for word, making a six paragraph rebuttal for EACH word the poster wrote.

PalehosePlanet
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
The Orioles are supposedly in on Edwin now and are considering offering him a 4 year deal. Typical Orioles move if they out bid Boston.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/edwin-jackson-rumors-thursday.html

DirtySox
01-26-2012, 02:30 PM
The Orioles are supposedly in on Edwin now and are considering offering him a 4 year deal. Typical Orioles move if they out bid Boston.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/edwin-jackson-rumors-thursday.html

Reportedly the Red Sox have only offered Oswalt and Edwin 1 year, 5 million deals. It's seemingly more and more likely they will have to make a trade or do nothing.

Falstaff
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Reportedly the Red Sox have only offered Oswalt and Edwin 1 year, 5 million deals. It's seemingly more and more likely they will have to make a trade or do nothing.

OK Kenny, you can easily get this done. Offer EJ $5.25 million for one year AND a (one-year) no-trade clause. :bandance:

DirtySox
01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
OK Kenny, you can easily get this done. Offer EJ $5.25 million for one year AND a (one-year) no-trade clause. :bandance:

I'm more hoping this just forces Boston to overpay for Gavin.

cards press box
01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm more hoping this just forces Boston to overpay for Gavin.

That is where I see this thing going.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2012, 12:16 AM

For $5 million I take Jackson over Humber to be our 5th starter.

SoxSpeed22
01-28-2012, 01:13 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34602446
Roy Oswalt looks like he's headed south. Outwaiting the Red Sox looks like it's working so far.

Fenway
01-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Meanwhile the Red Sox continue to shop at Family Dollar

The Red Six signed righthander John Maine to a minor-league contract that does not include an invitation to major league spring training.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/01/john_maine_gets.html