PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn is ready for 2012

Fenway
01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
‘One stupid year’ — Adam Dunn ready to put 2011 behind him (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/10213410-419/one-stupid-year-adam-dunn-ready-to-put-2011-behind-him.html)

Lip Man 1
01-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Well if he does well in the first half maybe the Sox can unload him for something.

Lip

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 11:47 PM
News flash: playing with Ozzie was "different." We could have told him that.

ChiSoxGal85
01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
A similar interview/article by Mark Gonzalez:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0125-white-sox-adam-dunn-chicago--20120125,0,5563088.story

I like Dunn's no-excuses attitude, and I'm really glad to hear he's been taking batting practice.

samurai_sox
01-25-2012, 12:35 AM
If he doesn't turn it around it going to get ugly.

asindc
01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Good to read that he is taking BP just to get a head start on things. Sounds anxious to get going and put 2011 behind him. I like that.

amsteel
01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
He needs to come out of the gate fast, otherwise, the fans, and more importantly himself, will make coming to the park no picnic.

Best of luck big fella, we're all pulling for ya. We may not be expecting much, but we're all pulling for ya.

HomeFish
01-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Dunn has handled the PR side of his disaster season about as well as any player could. I'll give him that.

chisoxfanatic
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
He needs to come out of the gate fast, otherwise, the fans, and more importantly himself, will make coming to the park no picnic.

Best of luck big fella, we're all pulling for ya. We may not be expecting much, but we're all pulling for ya.
No kidding. If he has a bad April, the walls of Comiskey will cave in around him. He can't afford to slip up at all.

I'll believe Dunn's words when I see him producing positively in the lineup.

TaylorStSox
01-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Perhaps he'll have some extra confidence now that he's no longer the fattest DH in the Central Division.

chisox12
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Still amazes me to see how bad his numbers were last year. 13 HRs and .159 BA. Crazy. Really hoping he can turn it around this year or this will go down as one of the worst contracts in sports history.

hi im skot
01-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Perhaps he'll have some extra confidence now that he's no longer the fattest DH in the Central Division.

http://i.imgur.com/E3F0U.gif

BainesHOF
01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm hopeful that Dunn bounces back, but I'm not confident it'll happen. What's disconcerting is a recent analysis that concluded that Dunn's downfall actually started in Washington. I can't remember the source, but it basically said that he had an usually-high batting average for balls put in play. The point was that his respectable average in Washington was a statistical anomaly and that his low average in Chicago was more the norm for his production.

A respectable start is essential for Dunn. What do you do if he's batting .160 in mid-May?

soxinem1
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Well if he does well in the first half maybe the Sox can unload him for something.

Lip

I would do it if we were in 1st Place at that time.

Rikirk
01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I have respect for the guy, what are the odds of a power hitter having two bad seasons in a row? I know anythings possible, but I see good things coming from Mr. Dunn this year.

:cool:

MetroPD
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I tolerate him and thats about it, at the very least he's been honest. He's a professional athlete making millions, he needs to turn it around in a big way because last year was absolutely attrocious.

Frontman
01-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Positive mental attitude, hard work and determination. That's all I'll ever ask from a player.

Good luck, Adam. We need you to perform, big man.

Nellie_Fox
01-28-2012, 01:48 AM
I have respect for the guy, what are the odds of a power hitter having two bad seasons in a row? I know anythings possible, but I see good things coming from Mr. Dunn this year.

:cool:

Positive mental attitude, hard work and determination. That's all I'll ever ask from a player.

Good luck, Adam. We need you to perform, big man.I don't know what article you guys read. I read that he hasn't lost any weight, and that he is sporadically taking batting practice, some weeks a few times, some weeks not at all. I don't see that as evidence of hard work and determination.

He would not be the first big guy to fall off rapidly in his thirties.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 01:50 AM
I don't know what article you guys read. I read that he hasn't lost any weight, and that he is sporadically taking batting practice, some weeks a few times, some weeks not at all. I don't see that as evidence of hard work and determination.

Correct. Whatever report that initially said he lost 30 lbs was false.

Boondock Saint
01-28-2012, 02:49 AM
What do you do if he's batting .160 in mid-May?

I think the obvious answer is that you keep swapping him between the 3-4-5 spots in the lineup and pretend that you actually care that your team sucks.

parlaycard
01-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Adam Dunn sucks no matter what he weighs.

Harry Chappas
01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
The pressure he felt last season that played a part in his futility will be there tenfold this year. Every K in April will be magnified to crazy proportions. Whereas some players get a pass for the inevitable "funks," if he doesn't start out hot, it's going to snowball on him again.

I have no idea what to expect but there's no hiding him this year. We no longer have a viable DH to step in now that TCQ is gone and Viciedo will start so it's sink or swim with Dunn. Having seen how he responds to pressure, I'm not too confident.

Rios, on the other hand, seems like the kind of player that doesn't put a ton of pressure on himself and frankly, doesn't seem to care enough to get upset when he blows chunks. I fully expect him to have a pretty good year.

Foulke You
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I have no idea what to expect but there's no hiding him this year. We no longer have a viable DH to step in now that TCQ is gone and Viciedo will start so it's sink or swim with Dunn.
I could see the Sox DH-ing Viciedo and moving Lillibridge into the everyday RF role if Dunn falters again. Now, I'm not 100% sure that Lillibridge can cut it as an everyday player but he hasn't had a chance to do it yet so the scenario I described could be an option if Dunn is hitting sub-Mendoza again with no power numbers.

russ99
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
The pressure he felt last season that played a part in his futility will be there tenfold this year. Every K in April will be magnified to crazy proportions. Whereas some players get a pass for the inevitable "funks," if he doesn't start out hot, it's going to snowball on him again.
I hope not. The guy strikes out a lot even in his good years. I'm hopeful he can hit better, get on base, drive in more runs and hit some homers.

Since this season doesn't have that "all in" edge to it, I hope Sox fans can at least give him a chance and not boo every strikeout in early April...

asindc
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
I hope not. The guy strikes out a lot even in his good years. I'm hopeful he can hit better, get on base, drive in more runs and hit some homers.

Since this season doesn't have that "all in" edge to it, I hope Sox fans can at least give him a chance and not boo every strikeout in early April...

That would not be helpful.

Foulke You
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Hopefully, Adam can build up some "currency" with the fans in the opening weeks and get some big hits for us.

Noneck
01-30-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't know what article you guys read. I read that he hasn't lost any weight, and that he is sporadically taking batting practice, some weeks a few times, some weeks not at all. I don't see that as evidence of hard work and determination.

I am in total agreement with you. I have no idea where these people come up with this stuff about hard work and determination. Now if I read he has been working constantly with a conditioner and working with a hitting instructor, that would impress me about his determination and work ethic.

Falstaff
01-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Agreed. I expected to read about A Dunn working with discipline and multi-disciplinary approach to fitness and hitting prowess. What I read sounds like a guy goofing around. OK, he does not want to view 500 bat at-bats. But what about comparing his stance and tendencies from a more-successful era of his career with the suckfest-era batting film? From what I read, A Dunn is crossing his fingers and sticking head in sand, not really working any systematic program or coaching ideas to get out of rut.

We shall see. RBI's talk loudest.

:rolleyes:

Foulke You
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM

I have no idea what his offseason routine consists of but based on the video and photos of him I saw at SoxFest, he definitely looks lighter. It is especially noticeable in the face. How that translates to power production is anyone's guess but being in better shape is always a good thing.

A. Cavatica
02-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Sounds like he's ready for 2012 just like he was ready for 2011.

If his April is like his last year, I hope he sits on the bench for the rest of the season. He doesn't deserve a third chance.

TheVulture
02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I like Dunn's no-excuses attitude

He must have changed his attitude since last year when he was already making excuses before the season even started. In a March interview with SI, he stated being a DH made him feel like he was one step from the retirement home- just after signing a considerable contract with the Sox to do just that. Personally, hearing someone talk about what a drag it is to DH after willfully signing a major contract to be a DH doesn't exactly indicate someone prepared to do everything possible to succeed in that role. I don't think we've seen anything to indicate Dunn has been too concerned about staying in shape, either.

ChiSoxGirl
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Sounds like he's ready for 2012 just like he was ready for 2011.

If his April is like his last year, I hope he sits on the bench for the rest of the season. He doesn't deserve a third chance.

In his Saturday seminar at SoxFest, Robin said that if a guy isn't hitting, he'll be on the bench and it won't matter what name is on the back of his jersey. If it's Dunn and he's sucking in epic proportions again, it sounds like Robin won't hesitate to sit his ass down, unlike a certain former manager....

Noneck
02-01-2012, 09:53 PM
In his Saturday seminar at SoxFest, Robin said that if a guy isn't hitting, he'll be on the bench and it won't matter what name is on the back of his jersey. If it's Dunn and he's sucking in epic proportions again, it sounds like Robin won't hesitate to sit his ass down, unlike a certain former manager....

I hope so but I also wonder about a 14M phone call from above.

SI1020
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I hope so but I also wonder about a 14M phone call from above. I wonder too. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that next year and Dunn reverts back to his pre 2011 career norms.

chisoxfanatic
02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I hope so but I also wonder about a 14M phone call from above.
I don't doubt it's happened in the past. But, if that happens, Kenny needs to be fired immediately. Every team should put winning above everything.

Noneck
02-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I don't doubt it's happened in the past. But, if that happens, Kenny needs to be fired immediately. Every team should put winning above everything.

And if that call comes from above Williams?

chisoxfanatic
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
And if that call comes from above Williams?
Then nothing can be done about it and the whole team is ****ed.

balke
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Welp, one season too late - you already stunk so bad Kenny had the team dismantled.

Dunn didn't seem to want to come to Chicago - so everyday he stays here I feel like its a prison sentence for him. He probably enjoys being here as much as I have enjoyed him being here.

:gulp: Here's to Lillibridge the guy who is likely actually working hard for a spot on a professional baseball roster. A guy who can play defense, multiple positions, and outslugged Adam Dunn in a limited bench role (186 at-bats and 13 hrs). He will be rewarded with only a closer look this year from the bench.

Glad you decided to be ready this year Adam. Thanks.

kufram
02-02-2012, 02:05 AM
It's Feb. 2

Falstaff
02-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Now that I think about it, A Dunn not only player with subpar 2011 season.
I wonder if Beckham is doing anything focused during offseason to regain his skills. Once upon a time he was a dangerous doubles machine. He could be again.

-OR-

If he has another sub-par year I expect he was just flash in pan and will be shortly headed out of MLB. Right now, at this moment, I hope Beckham is working hard on baseball and not just sitting by poolside with babes.

asindc
02-02-2012, 05:30 PM
It's Feb. 2

I'd like to see that Sox fans who attend the home games in April recognize it is a long season; not just for Dunn, but for Rios, Beckham, Sale, and Thornton as well. Once we get into mid-May, though...

October26
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
A similar interview/article by Mark Gonzalez:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0125-white-sox-adam-dunn-chicago--20120125,0,5563088.story

I like Dunn's no-excuses attitude, and I'm really glad to hear he's been taking batting practice.

:thumbsup: So do I!

I enjoyed seeing & hearing him at the SoxFest seminar. Dunn could have easily not attended, but he showed up, faced the fans as well as his failure and promised to work hard in 2012.

yazz32
02-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Wow, Dunn has lost alot of weight! :o:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg
MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/#!/MDGonzales) Mark Gonzales
Leaner Adam Dunn works out at first base:

ChiSoxGirl
02-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, Dunn has lost alot of weight! :o:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg
MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales) Mark Gonzales
Leaner Adam Dunn works out at first base:

:thud:Where's the rest of the Big Donkey?!

ChiSoxGal85
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
I think he looks great. Let's see if a leaner Dunn is better at the plate. I'm pulling for him! :bandance:

GoGoCrede
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
He looks great!

October26
02-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I think he looks great. Let's see if a leaner Dunn is better at the plate. I'm pulling for him! :bandance:

+1.

Wow! Adam looks terrific. I hope he gets off to a good start early in spring training and quickly gains confidence going into the season.

Frontman
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
You sure that isn't Dunn's face super-imposed over Konerko's body?

Good for Adam. Hopefully he bounces back.

BASEBALL BABY!!!!

amsteel
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Good for him, lets hope fewer lbs = more HRs.