PDA

View Full Version : Sox ranked #23 in MLB Power Rankings

raven1
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0124-rogers-spring-training-white-sox--20120124,0,5541393.column

Yes, I know it's Phil Rogers and he consistently underrates the Sox. However, with the combination of lack of substantial moves to improve the team this off-season following 3 poor seasons in a row he may actually have a valid point. Probably premature to panic, but in KW's entire tenure I have never seen so little positive offseason movement.

I'm willing to give whatever roster comes out of spring training a month or two to show the ability to seriously compete for the division, which should still be there for the taking regardless of how much the Tigers spend or who they sign. After that, if the team is as bad as expected then I'll join the majority of fans & ignore them as they play out the rest of the year in an empty stadium. That's one good thing about Sox fans - if management screws up & puts an inferior product on the field no organized boycott is necessary to send a message that goes straight to the owner's finances, it always happens on its own.

kittle42
01-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm happy they made the Top 30.

Tragg
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
A Major League bullpen is absolutely a legitimate arena in which to develop a pitcher for a major league staff. Personally, I prefer it to AAA. Rogers is nutty on this.

pudge
01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Rogers gushing over Fielder today was ridiculous, as if one player guarantees 100 wins and locks up the division for years to come. Who knows, you just never know in baseball. Sure they have Verlander and Cabrera, I'm not saying they won't be the most talented team, but that doesn't always translate to wins. The Sox being 23rd, fine, it's rebuilding time, and even while rebuilding they can fight for one of two wild card spots, or even the Central.

gosox41
01-24-2012, 09:38 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0124-rogers-spring-training-white-sox--20120124,0,5541393.column

Yes, I know it's Phil Rogers and he consistently underrates the Sox. However, with the combination of lack of substantial moves to improve the team this off-season following 3 poor seasons in a row he may actually have a valid point. Probably premature to panic, but in KW's entire tenure I have never seen so little positive offseason movement.

I'm willing to give whatever roster comes out of spring training a month or two to show the ability to seriously compete for the division, which should still be there for the taking regardless of how much the Tigers spend or who they sign. After that, if the team is as bad as expected then I'll join the majority of fans & ignore them as they play out the rest of the year in an empty stadium. That's one good thing about Sox fans - if management screws up & puts an inferior product on the field no organized boycott is necessary to send a message that goes straight to the owner's finances, it always happens on its own.

First, we can probably fade Phil since he is usally wrong and expect the Sox to do better.

Second, assuming we are this bad, at least we'll have a top 10draft pick. Now the so called minor league experts will have one less reason to rationaliza why the Sox farm system is terrible.

Bob

DSpivack
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
First, we can probably fade Phil since he is usally wrong and expect the Sox to do better.

Second, assuming we are this bad, at least we'll have a top 10draft pick. Now the so called minor league experts will have one less reason to rationaliza why the Sox farm system is terrible.
Bob

I don't know that the Sox will be that bad, however. I don't expect them to be good next season, but I think they will definitely finish ahead of the Twins and probably ahead of Kansas City. I'd expect them to draft somewhere between 10 and 15.

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
The purpose and significance of power ratings is........?

DSpivack
01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
The purpose and significance of power ratings is........?

Daver's favorite phrase, mental masturbation.

Golden Sox
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I can't possibly understand how the White Sox can be ranked so low. Rios, Dunn, Beckham, Morel and Vicedo will all hit well this year. Konerko and Aj will continue to hit. And Peavy and the rest of our rotation will pitch great this year. In otherwords, the White Sox are going to the playoffs this 2012 season.

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I can't possibly understand how the White Sox can be ranked so low. Rios, Dunn, Beckham, Morel and Vicedo will all hit well this year. Konerko and Aj will continue to hit. And Peavy and the rest of our rotation will pitch great this year. In otherwords, the White Sox are going to the playoffs this 2012 season.
Don't worry. Power rankings are like an investment prospectus....100% speculation.

DirtySox
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Don't worry. Power rankings are like an investment prospectus....100% speculation.

Which is something that is entertaining to do on a message board.

russ99
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Offseason power rankings are pretty much bunk anyway.

But this seems to be a fairly solid measuring stick as of right now, since there are tons of question marks:

We have a rookie manager who hasn't managed before, all new staff except for Coop; We lost Buehrle, Danks/Floyd regressed in 2011, Peavy is a huge question mark, we need Sale or Stewart to pitch 200 innings; we don't have a closer and only 2 decent relievers; we have more hitters who hit poorly last year than hit at least league average, of those only Konerko and Ramirez have a track record of hitting in the majors.

That doesn't mean we'll finish 23rd, though... I expect many of those things to iron themselves out over the season, and a .500 record should at least be a possibility.

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Offseason power rankings are pretty much bunk anyway.

But this seems to be a fairly solid measuring stick as of right now, since there are tons of question marks:

We have a rookie manager who hasn't managed before, all new staff except for Coop; We lost Buehrle, Danks/Floyd regressed in 2011, Peavy is a huge question mark, we need Sale or Stewart to pitch 200 innings; we don't have a closer and only 2 decent relievers; we have more hitters who hit poorly last year than hit at least league average, of those only Konerko and Ramirez have a track record of hitting in the majors.

That doesn't mean we'll finish 23rd, though... I expect many of those things to iron themselves out over the season, and a .500 record should at least be a possibility.
Every year, there are 29 teams with tons of question marks. The one without any? Da Cubs. They know they suck.

russ99
01-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Every year, there are 29 teams with tons of question marks. The one without any? Da Cubs. They know they suck.

LOL! So there is hope... :gulp:

DumpJerry
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Look, Rogers was taking the lazy way to rank the Sox. He was looking at a picture of Robin Ventura in a Sox uniform when he assigned their ranking.

Daver
01-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Daver's favorite phrase, mental masturbation.

I like "uglier than a mud fence" and "dumber than a bag of hammers" better.

DSpivack
01-25-2012, 01:05 AM
I like "uglier than a mud fence" and "dumber than a bag of hammers" better.

Oh, c'mon, are they really that ugly? :tongue:

http://rlv.zcache.com/adobe_fence_canvas_print-p228218492944237776t51d_400.jpg

Foulke You
01-25-2012, 01:34 AM
but in KW's entire tenure I have never seen so little positive offseason movement.
The offseason between '03 and '04 was less active than this. If memory serves, KW traded for the Rockies backup infielder named Juan Uribe and signed a trick pitcher from Japan with no MLB experience named Shingo Takatsu. This was after Bartolo Colon (our #2 starter) left to sign a big contract with the Angels, Tom Gordon (our veteran closer) left to sign with the Yankees, and Carl Everett (our CF) left to sign with the Expos. The Sox were actually very competitive in 2004 and held on to first place for long stretches until season ending injuries to Thomas and Ordonez ended all hope.

Hitmen77
01-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Look, Rogers was taking the lazy way to rank the Sox. He was looking at a picture of Robin Ventura in a Sox uniform when he assigned their ranking.

So, I guess the answer is that the Sox should hire Lance Johnson as their manager.

JB98
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
There is nothing in this world more ****ing worthless than power rankings. Yet nearly every major media outlet does them. They fill space and mean nothing.

kittle42
01-25-2012, 02:27 PM
There is nothing in this world more ****ing worthless than power rankings. Yet nearly every major media outlet does them. They fill space and mean nothing.

People love lists.

DSpivack
01-25-2012, 03:27 PM
People love lists.

I did read High Fidelity the other day.

Quick, Top 10 Best Lists Ever:

____

?

Milw
01-25-2012, 05:16 PM
It's cliff notes. Personally, I like them because it provides some context for the league at large--I don't care enough about most teams to follow them, particularly in the offseason, so a power ranking gives a very superficial overview of the league. Yes, they're just one person's speculative opinion. Yes, they're ultimately meaningless. But meaningless is not the same thing as worthless.

mahagga73
02-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I think the Sox are going to win more games this year than they did last year,maybe 85 or so.They will have a lot of hungry players looking to resurrect their careers or stay in the big leagues and that means a lot.Rogers is a Cubs fan,so what he says means shizzle to me.

Iron Dragon2
02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Sox competing for much this season. I expect 90 or so losses....

guillensdisciple
02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
World Series champions

Lillibridge MVP

rcescato
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
This season will be like the indians in major league.. Who are these guys? Thy will be flying to games in a prop plane and driving a broken down bus. LOL

KMcMahon817
02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
This season will be like the indians in major league.. Who are these guys? Thy will be flying to games in a prop plane and driving a broken down bus. LOL

Ahhh not so much. We will have virtually the same roster as the end of 2011, minus Buehrle, Quentin, Pierre and Santos. It is not like the SOX are going to filling the line-up with players no one has ever heard of.

Jerko
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM
They just ranked the Sox 23 in homage to Ventura

chisox77
02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
It always comes down to the actual games being played. We'll see how it works out during the season.

MetroPD
02-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Imagine if Dunn would actually hit the ball every great once in awhile.....

AZChiSoxFan
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM

23rd huh? Wow, I wonder why the writer is so optimistic about the Sox this year?

SephClone89
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
23rd huh? Wow, I wonder why the writer is so optimistic about the Sox this year?

Good one.