PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Minor League Catch-All

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
New year, new thread.

This is an all-purpose thread for minor league notes that don't really need their own thread. Please use this thread as such. Transactions, injuries, scouting blurbs, hot streaks, slumps, etc are all fair game.

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Sickels has his farm system rankings up. First time he's done it. Guess who's last?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/23/2728027/2012-baseball-farm-system-rankings-prospects

DonnieDarko
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
"404 Sorry sports fan, we couldn’t find the page you’re looking for…"

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
"404 Sorry sports fan, we couldn’t find the page you’re looking for…"

Fixed.

rdivaldi
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Sickels has his farm system rankings up. First time he's done it. Guess who's last?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...ings-prospects

Link fixed here (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/23/2728027/2012-baseball-farm-system-rankings-prospects).

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Link fixed here (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/23/2728027/2012-baseball-farm-system-rankings-prospects).

Thanks.

rdivaldi
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I trust Sickels much more than the other sites, can't say I'm surprised to see us at the bottom of the heap. He has a much more professional approach in his write ups unlike the goofs at BP and BA.

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I trust Sickels much more than the other sites, can't say I'm surprised to see us at the bottom of the heap. He has a much more professional approach in his write ups unlike the goofs at BP and BA.

Sickels is great. Baseball America I can go either way on, but Phil Rogers shouldn't be in charge of White Sox prospects lists. BP is largely Kevin Goldstein who I'm a fan of, but he's more statistically inclined and is a big tools guy with his prospects. It's just important to know the thought processes/tendencies of most of the guys. I generally enjoy having the different points of view from each place.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I passed along to a source, the observation that some fans at WSI were wondering how Bell could get a promotion when according to a few sites, the Sox farm system is the worst in MLB. Just got the reply and I pass it along.

Some folks who know the minor league system like Dirty Sox might be able to amplify some of the observations:

"JR LOVES Buddy Bell, so he's set for life. There's a cartel among the Sox's front office that blames Duane Shaffer for everything.

Meanwhile, Doug Laumann was very testy after the first day of the 2011 draft and all the California guys he took, saying, ''contrary to what people think, I do leave the Ohio Valley."

I'm told he relies too much on Nick Hostetler (who is overmatched) and Derrek Valenzuela. Some call them "Starsky and Hutch."

As for the PD department, people will still blame Wilder and Regier. Regier had some bad hires during his two years running the show.

Best move today was getting Kirk Champion out of the pitching dept. How many pitchers have developed under Champ after being acquired from other organizations?

I think they got to spend more money in player development. Moving Champ out of that position was a good step. Doug has to get his friends out of there, but he'll do whatever Jerry says when it comes to the draft and taking the safe pick. Cost them every time.

Oh, and I leave you with this observation:

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/408312443/rogers_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ChiTribRogers)

ChiTribRogers (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ChiTribRogers) Buddy Bell's promotion to VP player development is another good sign for #whitesox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23whitesox) front office. He's as experienced as it gets."

Lip

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I passed along to a source, the observation that some fans at WSI were wondering how Bell could get a promotion when according to a few sites, the Sox farm system is the worst in MLB. Just got the reply and I pass it along.

Some folks who know the minor league system like Dirty Sox might be able to amplify some of the observations:

"JR LOVES Buddy Bell, so he's set for life. There's a cartel among the Sox's front office that blames Duane Shaffer for everything.

Meanwhile, Doug Laumann was very testy after the first day of the 2011 draft and all the California guys he took, saying, ''contrary to what people think, I do leave the Ohio Valley."

I'm told he relies too much on Nick Hostetler (who is overmatched) and Derrek Valenzuela. Some call them "Starsky and Hutch."

As for the PD department, people will still blame Wilder and Regier. Regier had some bad hires during his two years running the show.

Best move today was getting Kirk Champion out of the pitching dept. How many pitchers have developed under Champ after being acquired from other organizations?

I think they got to spend more money in player development. Moving Champ out of that position was a good step. Doug has to get his friends out of there, but he'll do whatever Jerry says when it comes to the draft and taking the safe pick. Cost them every time.

Oh, and I leave you with this observation:

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/408312443/rogers_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ChiTribRogers)

ChiTribRogers (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ChiTribRogers) Buddy Bell's promotion to VP player development is another good sign for #whitesox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23whitesox) front office. He's as experienced as it gets."

Lip

I don't have much to say on that. Daver might. Though the deferring to Jerry in the draft with a safe pick continues to turn my stomach. Let the scouting and drafting people do their jobs and pick who they deem is worthy. Hard to hold people accountable when they aren't allowed to do their job. Ugh.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Daver does know a lot about the system, I'd like to hear his opinion of the moves today.

Lip

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Doug has to get his friends out of there, but he'll do whatever Jerry says when it comes to the draft and taking the safe pick. Cost them every time.

Lip

I also suppose I can start doing my research on college pitchers for the 13th pick this June.

KMcMahon817
01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Sox also signed OF Delwyn Young and LHP Eric Slults to minor league deals today. Both have some major league experience.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Former #Marlins & #Nationals starter Scott Olsen has signed minor league deal w/ #WhiteSox. Deal includes big league option for 2013
56 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Olsen didn't pitch last year. He had shoulder problems and #Pirates released him in May. He's 37-49, 4.85 in the big leagues.
39 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

He's a local boy. From Crystal Lake.

sox1970
01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Former #Marlins & #Nationals starter Scott Olsen has signed minor league deal w/ #WhiteSox. Deal includes big league option for 2013

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Olsen didn't pitch last year. He had shoulder problems and #Pirates released him in May. He's 37-49, 4.85 in the big leagues.

Every team needs at least one jerk.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Every team needs at least one jerk.

Wow. I had no idea his reputation. Sounds like a cool dude.

Daver
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Daver does know a lot about the system, I'd like to hear his opinion of the moves today.

I have no idea who your source is, but considering the fact that pitching is the only thing the Sox have developed to any extent in the last five years, I'd say he is dead wrong on Kirk, and that would make me question any other part of his opinion.

KMcMahon817
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

I like the signing. Low risk, and some insurance in case of injury. I would assume he'll compete for the second lefty out of the pen, even though he has been used pretty exclusively as a starter in the past.

rdivaldi
01-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I have no idea who your source is, but considering the fact that pitching is the only thing the Sox have developed to any extent in the last five years, I'd say he is dead wrong on Kirk, and that would make me question any other part of his opinion.

I agree with this statement, the Sox have had some success with developing pitchers as of late. Developing hitters is an altogether different story.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
I like the signing. Low risk, and some insurance in case of injury. I would assume he'll compete for the second lefty out of the pen, even though he has been used pretty exclusively as a starter in the past.

He didn't receive an invite to big league camp for spring training.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo has his Top 100 Prospect List out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

White Sox have 1 prospect on it. Coming in at the last spot, #100, Addison Reed.

Daver
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I agree with this statement, the Sox have had some success with developing pitchers as of late. Developing hitters is an altogether different story.

When you give them one season in the minors to acclimate to pro pitching you are setting them up to fail.

Daver
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo has his Top 100 Prospect List out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

White Sox have 1 prospect on it. Coming in at the last spot, #100, Addison Reed.

To the surprise of absolutely no one.

rdivaldi
01-26-2012, 09:47 AM
When you give them one season in the minors to acclimate to pro pitching you are setting them up to fail.

If a player is able to maintain dominance with each successive promotion, I don't see how this is setting them up to fail. Players physical abilities and mental makeup determine their fate, there is no perfect scheme for getting pitchers to the majors. If there was, every team would do that exact pattern.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Low risk indeed, but he's also a huge head case. Carlos Zambrano bad.

DirtySox
01-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Some good stuff from SoxFest that I missed:

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk
Hahn says the Sox will spend more on the draft and internationally with the new CBA. #SoxFest
21 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

KenWo4LiFe Ken Neadly
Hahn says you will see dramatic increase in international signings due to marco paddy and stablizing the skimming scandal

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk
Laumann says he expects more high school guys to be drafted here in the future.

KenWo4LiFe Ken Neadly
Hahn says all clubs use scouting and sabermetrics... Its like peanut butter and jelly, you got both so why choose just one

DirtySox
01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Draft order is set through the first 53 picks. The Buehrle comp pick comes in at the 48th selection.

First Round

1. Astros
2. Twins
3. Mariners
4. Orioles
5. Royals
6. Cubs
7. Padres
8. Pirates
9. Marlins
10. Rockies
11. Athletics
12. Mets
13. White Sox
14. Reds
15. Indians
16. Nationals
17. Blue Jays
18. Dodgers
19. Cardinals (from Angels for Albert Pujols, Type A)
20. Giants
21. Braves
22. Blue Jays (for failure to sign 2011 first-rounder Tyler Beede)
23. Cardinals
24. Red Sox
25. Rays
26. Diamondbacks
27. Brewers (from Tigers for Prince Fielder, Type A)
28. Brewers
29. Rangers
30. Yankees
31. Red Sox (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon, Type A)

Supplemental First Round

32. Twins (for Michael Cuddyer, modified Type A, to Rockies)
33. Padres (for Heath Bell, modified Type A, to Marlins)
34. Athletics (for Josh Willingham, modified Type A, to Twins)
35. Mets (for Jose Reyes, Type A, to Marlins)
36. Cardinals (for Pujols)
37. Red Sox (for Papelbon)
38. Brewers (for Fielder)
39. Rangers (for C.J. Wilson, Type A, to Angels)
40. Phillies (for Ryan Madson, modified Type A, to Reds)
41. Astros (for Clint Barmes, Type B, to Pirates)
42. Twins (for Jason Kubel, Type B, to Diamondbacks)
43. Cubs (for Aramis Ramirez, Type B, to Brewers)
44. Padres (for Aaron Harang, Type B, to Dodgers)
45. Pirates (for Ryan Doumit, Type B, to Twins)
46. Rockies (for Mark Ellis, Type B, to Dodgers)
47. Athletics (for David DeJesus, Type B, to Cubs)
48. White Sox (for Mark Buehrle, Type B, to Marlins)
49. Reds (for Ramon Hernandez, Type B, to Rockies)
50. Blue Jays (for Frank Francisco, Type B, to Mets)
51. Dodgers (for Rod Barajas, Type B, to Pirates)
52. Cardinals (for Octavio Dotel, Type B, to Tigers)
53. Rangers (for Darren Oliver, Type B, to Blue Jays)
54. Cubs (for Carlos Pena, Type B, to Rays)
55. Padres (for failure to sign 2011 sandwich-rounder Brett Austin)
56. Reds (for Francisco Cordero, Type B, to Blue Jays)
57. Blue Jays (for Jon Rauch, Type B, to Mets)
58. Blue Jays (for Jose Molina, Type B, to Rays)

Second-Round Changes

60. Athletics (for Willingham)
68. Padres (for Bell)
69. Mets (from Marlins for Reyes)
70. Twins (for Cuddyer)
75. Phillies (for Madson)
81. Rangers (from Angels for Wilson)
89. Yankees (for failure to sign 2011 second-rounder Sam Stafford)

Supplemental Third Round

124. Mariners (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Kevin Cron)
125. Marlins (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Connor Barron)
126. Rockies (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Peter O'Brien)

Remaining Compensation Free Agents:

Cardinals: Edwin Jackson (B).
Phillies: Raul Ibanez (B).
Pirates: Derrek Lee (B).

DirtySox
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Laumann and Paddy are heading to the DR to scout players for the upcoming signing period (with the new CBA restrictions), starting July 2nd. Also notes that Cespedes is likely too expensive, but the White Sox are interested in Concepcion and Soler. Soler would be a huge get.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-increase-presence-in-latin-america-20120201,0,1733235.story

DirtySox
02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Keith Law's farm system rankings are up. (Keith Law sucks, yes I know.) White Sox are last, and he says it's not even close. Not that it's a surprise at this point.

KMcMahon817
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Keith Law's farm system rankings are up. (Keith Law sucks, yes I know.) White Sox are last, and he says it's not even close. Not that it's a surprise at this point.

So the additions of Molina and Castro have done nothing to improve the farm? Not even better than the likes of the Marlins and Astros...

I am not shocked, but I guess a little surprised that those two (now number 2 and 3, respectively in SOX farm) didn't boost the farm even a tad. I guess it just shows how absolutely terrible it was going into this offseason.

DirtySox
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
So the additions of Molina and Castro have done nothing to improve the farm? Not even better than the likes of the Marlins and Astros...

I am not shocked, but I guess a little surprised that those two (now number 2 and 3, respectively in SOX farm) didn't boost the farm even a tad. I guess it just shows how absolutely terrible it was going into this offseason.

He has the Indians at 29. Trading off White, Pomeranz, and graduating Kipnis and Chisenhall lopped off the top of that system.

The Astros system is slowly but surely getting better. Singleton, Cosart, Springer, Villar, and Clemens aren't an awful top portion.

As for the Marlins, going by Sickels, you have Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, Realmuto, Dominguez, Rasmussen, James, and Conley as "B" prospects. (By comparison, the White Sox have 2 "B" prospects, though both B+ as ranked by John.)

As for the Sox, the Molina addition was really the only "solid" prospect addition this offseason. Castro's stock is down, and it should be after a bad season last year. Hopefully he figures things out.

KMcMahon817
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
As for the Sox, the Molina addition was really the only "solid" prospect addition this offseason. Castro's stock is down, and it should be after a bad season last year. Hopefully he figures things out.

Right, but Castro was a top-100 prospect in all of baseball prior to 2011. Hell, he was even the starting pitcher in the Futures Game. It just goes to show how fickle these ratings are to begin with.

DirtySox
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Right, but Castro was a top-100 prospect in all of baseball prior to 2011. Hell, he was even the starting pitcher in the Futures Game. It just goes to show how fickle these ratings are to begin with.

Was is the keyword. He had a down season and scouts didn't like what they saw. Hence his stock has fallen. Happens all the time. He certainly could rebound. He could completely bust too. And yes, prospect lists and rankings should always be taken with a grain of salt. Though it's hard to make an argument that the Sox system is anything but bad at this point.

Mingo
02-11-2012, 09:14 AM
With the renewed push for Latin and Cuban talent - the Sox can sell opportunity for fast track major league consideration. I think the minors can be fixed to a reputable condition pretty fast.

SoxSpeed22
02-11-2012, 01:02 PM
With the renewed push for Latin and Cuban talent - the Sox can sell opportunity for fast track major league consideration. I think the minors can be fixed to a reputable condition pretty fast.I think with the new rules, it might be tricky to figure out how international spending is going to go. There might be more emphasis on the draft.

DirtySox
02-13-2012, 02:19 AM
KG's Top 101 Prospects list is up. Reed is number 81.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16020

DirtySox
02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Addison Reed is on BA's Top 100 at number 66. Only White Sox prospect to make it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2012/2612998.html

rdivaldi
02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I think with the new rules, it might be tricky to figure out how international spending is going to go. There might be more emphasis on the draft.

It will probably take awhile for all the teams to get used to the new rules and regulations regarding foreign players. Regardless, the playing field is more level than it has ever been with regards to foreign players and the draft. This is both a blessing and a curse to the front office. On one hand they will have the opportunity to sign players that they would have never had a chance with before. On the other hand, the pool of excuses they have used in the past has shrunk significantly. Like someone else said, if they make a genuine effort, the minor league could be restocked quickly.

Lip Man 1
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Gonzo writes tonight that the Sox will have a bonus pool allotment of $5.9151 million for their picks in the first 10 rounds of the 2012 draft, according to Baseball America.

Don't know how that compares to other teams.

Lip

Daver
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
It will probably take awhile for all the teams to get used to the new rules and regulations regarding foreign players. Regardless, the playing field is more level than it has ever been with regards to foreign players and the draft. This is both a blessing and a curse to the front office. On one hand they will have the opportunity to sign players that they would have never had a chance with before. On the other hand, the pool of excuses they have used in the past has shrunk significantly. Like someone else said, if they make a genuine effort, the minor league could be restocked quickly.

If they don't change their philosophy on how players advance through the system none of this will make much of a difference.

DirtySox
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Gonzo writes tonight that the Sox will have a bonus pool allotment of $5.9151 million for their picks in the first 10 rounds of the 2012 draft, according to Baseball America.

Don't know how that compares to other teams.

Lip

Yep. Posted it in the draft thread. There is a link in the post showing each team's allotment, which obviously varies by where each team picks in the 1st round and how many picks they have.

rdivaldi
02-21-2012, 11:56 PM
If they don't change their philosophy on how players advance through the system none of this will make much of a difference.

Daver, you and I will just never see eye-to-eye on this will we? :D:

SoxSpeed22
02-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm curious to know how much of that ~$6 million they will actually spend. There is a cap, but is there a floor for draft spending?

Lip Man 1
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Daver has a valid point as Gonzo wrote in his "state of the Sox" article. These kids don't have the slightest idea what they are getting into when they are rushed up to the big club and it shows.

For some reason the Sox seem to have this 'instant gratification' syndrome regarding their minor league players almost like they are desperate to tell the critics of the way they operate the minors, 'what do you mean? We've got kids who can play. Just look at (insert name...)'

It doesn't work that way. Kids need to learn their trade. I understand it's not like back in the days where Gary Peters spent five or six years in the minors but my God, a kid can go through four different levels in a season...that's nuts.

Lip

Daver
02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Daver, you and I will just never see eye-to-eye on this will we? :D:

After watching fifteen years worth of top picks fail entirely or graduate to the majors and strive for mediocrity, I will continue to think the White Sox have a very flawed philosophy on player development.

rdivaldi
02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Daver has a valid point as Gonzo wrote in his "state of the Sox" article. These kids don't have the slightest idea what they are getting into when they are rushed up to the big club and it shows.

It doesn't work that way. Kids need to learn their trade. I understand it's not like back in the days where Gary Peters spent five or six years in the minors but my God, a kid can go through four different levels in a season...that's nuts.

Lip

It's not nuts, every prospect is different. Some require years in the minors, some require a year, some require less. There's no one proven method for producing a successful player. If there was, everyone would be doing it. If your developmental staff is competent, they should be able to determine if a kid is ready for the next level and move him accordingly.

Daver
02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
If your developmental staff is competent, they should be able to determine if a kid is ready for the next level and move him accordingly.

The key word seems to be if.

rdivaldi
02-22-2012, 11:56 PM
The key word seems to be if.

Indeed...

DirtySox
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Sickels' has his top 120 prospect list up. First time he's had one consolidated list. He usually does pitchers and hitters seperately.

He has Reed at 44 and Molina at 72. He's much more into Molina than other places.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/2/24/2821479/minor-league-ball-baseball-top-120-prospects-for-2012

DirtySox
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Fangraphs on Keenyn Walker (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/white-sox-outfield-prospect-keenyn-walker-fangraphs-scouting-report-video/)

KMcMahon817
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
The SOX re-acquired Terry Doyle from the Twins for 25K today.

Doyle was selected as a Rule V draft pick for the Twins a few months back. He has had a rough spring, so they offered him back to the SOX. He'll be headed to Charlotte.

DirtySox
03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Nice to have him back I suppose, but I still don't expect much.

EMachine10
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Kevin Goldstein ‏ @Kevin_Goldstein Close
The White Sox have released once-promising RHP Dexter Carter.
Retweeted by South Side Sox

EMachine10
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales Close
Sox traded minor league OF Christian Marrerro to Atlanta (Class AAA Gwinnett) for future cash considerations.

KMcMahon817
03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Not really White Sox related, but what is teh latest on Jorge Soler? I haven't heard anything about him in a while and I figured he would sign prior to the season.

DirtySox
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Not really White Sox related, but what is teh latest on Jorge Soler? I haven't heard anything about him in a while and I figured he would sign prior to the season.

Still hasn't established residency. The Cubs are still the favorites to sign him at an exorbitant amount.

EMachine10
03-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Sox signed Conor Jackson and assigned him to AAA. Had a few nice years to start off his career before falling off big time.

Didn't realize that he had a significant bout of Valley Fever as he started to tail off. Could be a decent fill in if he demonstrates even the iffy power he once had.

KMcMahon817
03-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Sox signed Conor Jackson and assigned him to AAA. Had a few nice years to start off his career before falling off big time.

Didn't realize that he had a significant bout of Valley Fever as he started to tail off. Could be a decent fill in if he demonstrates even the iffy power he once had.

Agreed. Depth is something the SOX currently do not have. Could be nice to have him around.

DirtySox
04-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Minor league rosters should be finalized soon. Mitchell will be in Birmingham.

doublem23
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Minor league rosters should be finalized soon. Mitchell will be in Birmingham.

Good.. Everything I read about him said he had a phenomenal Spring and re-established himself. Hopefully this is a very good year for Jared.

DirtySox
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Intimidators 2012 Roster

Pitchers:

Blough, Bryan
Brase, Stew
Casey, Jarrett
Lane, Matthew
Marin, Terance
McCray, Steve
Olacio, Jefferson
Parrent, Brandon
Snodgress, Scott
Upchurch, Steven
Vance, Kevin
Walters, Blair
Webb, Daniel

Catchers:

Jacquot, Jim
Medina, Martin
Smith, Kevan

Infielders:

De Pinto, Joe
Herbek, David
Johnson, Michael
Pangilinan, Leighton
Ravelo, Rangel

Outfielders:

Harvard, Dusty
Kuhn, Collin
Haddow, Mark
Walker, Keenyn

Bolded some noteworthy/interesting players.

DirtySox
04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Dash 2012 Roster

Pitchers:

Arroyo, Spencer
Bachanov, Jon
Bellamy, Kyle
Buch, Ryan
Burnside, Paul
Collop, Justin
Heidenreich, Matthew
Hunt, Leroy
McCully, Nick
Negus, Phil
Petricka, Jake
Rienzo, Andre

Catchers:

Blanke, Michael
Gonzalez, Miguel

Infielders:

Black, Dan
Oester, Jake
Sanchez, Carlos
Semien, Marcus
Wagner, Daniel
Wilson, Ross

Outfielders:

Ciolli, Nick
Earley, Michael
Shoemaker, Brady
Thompson, Trayce

DirtySox
04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
2011 2nd round pick Erik Johnson will remain in extended spring training due to elbow tendinitis.

EMachine10
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Ben Badler ‏ @BenBadler Close
Herky jerky lefty who's very, VERY raw. Low-A start is extremely aggressive RT @SportsOnFilm What do you know about Jefferson Olacio (CHW)?

DirtySox
04-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Ben Badler ‏ @BenBadler Close
Herky jerky lefty who's very, VERY raw. Low-A start is extremely aggressive RT @SportsOnFilm What do you know about Jefferson Olacio (CHW)?

Damn. You're quick.

Aggressive with prospects? Sounds like the White Sox indeed.

SoxSpeed22
04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Snodgress, Walters, Rienzo, Petricka and Vance could be interesting to watch. Semien, Kevan Smith, Thompson and Walker are the only low level position players that interest me.

DirtySox
04-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Minor league games started tonight for anyone that cares. Charlotte and Kanny rained out though. Birmingham is playing with Nestor Molina pitching. The Dash play tomorrow.

DirtySox
04-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Barons 2012 Roster

Pitchers:

Bayne, Cameron
Castro, Simon
Griffith, Nevin
Hernandez, Pedro
Kloess, Brandon
Kussmaul, Ryan
Mabee, Hank
Molina, Nestor
Quintana, Jose
Remenowsky, Dan
Rodriguez, Santos
Wickswat, Matt

Catchers:

Dubler, Kevin
Espino, Damaso
Sierra, Luis

Infielders:

Garcia, Drew
Gilmore, Jon
Morrison, Erik
Saladino, Tyler
Wilkins, Andy
Smith, Corey

Outfielders:

Greene, Justin
Martinez, Jose
Mitchell, Jared
Williams, Kenneth

DirtySox
04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Knights 2012 Roster

Pitchers:

Axelrod, Dylan
Bruney, Brian
Carter, Anthony
Doyle, Terry
Heath, Deunte
Infante, Gregory
Leesman, Charles
Marinez, Jhan
Olsen, Scott
Omogrosso, Brian
Septimo, Leyson
Shirek, Charles
Stults, Eric
Veal, Donnie
Whisler, Wes
Zaleski, Matt

Catchers:

Phegley, Josh
Gimenez, Hector

Infielders:

Gallagher, Jim
Johnson, Dan
Kuhn, Tyler
Martinez, Osvaldo
McPherson, Dallas
Olmedo, Ray
Shelton, Kyle

Outfielders:

Danks, Jordan
Golson, Greg
Jackson, Conor

If AAAA players, marginal relievers, and fringe prospects are your thing, then the 2012 Knights is can't miss baseball.

:puking:

DirtySox
04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Molina's first start:

4.0 IP 5 H 2 ER 0 BB 3 SO

DirtySox
04-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Olacio made his debut tonight out of the pen.

Josh Feldman ‏ @BigTexJosh Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Olacio hits the first batter then strikes out the next three. Just wild enough to be effective. 93 mph on the gun in the booth.

DirtySox
04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Simon Castro's first start:

5.0 IP 9 H 4 ER 0 BB 7 SO 2 HR

cws05champ
04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Barons 2012 Roster
Outfielders:
Greene, Justin
Martinez, Jose
Mitchell, Jared
Williams, Kenneth

Man that Barons roster has some mega speed out there on the OF. If they could only get on base!

Molina's first start:

4.0 IP 5 H 2 ER 0 BB 3 SO
The Sox REALLY need this guy to work out. I would not feel too bad about the Sox pitching depth if he can develop into a mid rotation workhorse.

DirtySox
04-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Small sample size and all, but Keenyn Walker having a brutal start. 8 K's in 11 ABs so far.

DSpivack
04-10-2012, 07:31 PM
White Sox have acquired Reds AAA IF Jose Castro from Cincinnati; he's been assigned to Charlotte.

IF Castro? Wonder what Ozzie thinks of the move.

DirtySox
04-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Nestor Molina pitched tonight.

4.2 IP 9 H 5 ER 1 BB 1 SO 1 HR

SoxSpeed22
04-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Nestor Molina pitched tonight.

4.2 IP 9 H 5 ER 1 BB 1 SO 1 HRAnd Jared Mitchell with a walkoff 2 run double.

DirtySox
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Blair Walters tonight:

6.0 IP 2 H 0 ER 2 BB 10 SO

Great showing. Hopefully this continues and he is promoted to face more age appropriate competition at some point this year.

cws05champ
04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Blair Walters tonight:

6.0 IP 2 H 0 ER 2 BB 10 SO

Great showing. Hopefully this continues and he is promoted to face more age appropriate competition at some point this year.

What's the deal with this kid? Haven't really heard of him....

DirtySox
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Keenyn Walker with his best night of the season so far.

5 - 5, 2B 2 SB

Most importantly he didn't strikeout.

cws05champ
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Keenyn Walker with his best night of the season so far.

5 - 5, 2B 2 SB

Most importantly he didn't strikeout.
I believe he had 5 RBI as well....nice night!

rdivaldi
04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
What's the deal with this kid? Haven't really heard of him....

11th round pick last year out of U of Hawaii. Throws fastball/sinker, developing a changeup. Not a huge arm, but can still reach the low 90's on occasion, and he's a lefty to boot. Nothing to get overly excited about, but he should be able to move through the system quickly if he develops his offspeed stuff.

SoxSpeed22
04-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Andre Rienzo with 6 shutout innings and 9 K's. He now has an ERA under 1 in WS.

DirtySox
04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Andre Rienzo with 6 shutout innings and 9 K's. He now has an ERA under 1 in WS.

He's overdue for Birmingham.

doublem23
04-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Molina with a huge game for Birmingham,

8 IP, 7 H, 0 BB, 3 R, 7 K

Good recap here: http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/4/15/2951302/game-report-nestor-molina-vs-chattanooga

Harry Chappas
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
For those that follow this stuff closely, who besides Thompson, Molina, and Mitchell should I pay attention to? Are there any other young, high-ceiling, type of players worth following?

sox1970
04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
For those that follow this stuff closely, who besides Thompson, Molina, and Mitchell should I pay attention to? Are there any other young, high-ceiling, type of players worth following?

He's only 20, but this guy has hit for average, and now he's hitting for some power....Rangel Ravelo. Hopefully he's on the national prospect radar at the end of the season.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=592660

DirtySox
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Keenyn Walker.

DirtySox
04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Olacio came in as relief for Daniel Webb tonight.

4.0 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 6 SO

DirtySox
04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Sickels on Mitchell's start to the season:

It's early, but Chicago White Sox outfield prospect Jared Mitchell may have resurrected his status as a prospect. Drafted in the first round out of Louisiana State in 2009, he missed all of 2010 following a horrific ankle injury. He returned in 2011 but was less than effective for Winston-Salem in the Carolina League, hitting just .222/.304/.377 last year with an obscene strikeout rate, 184 whiffs in 477 at-bats.

2012 looks completely different. Playing for Double-A Birmingham, Mitchell is hitting .333/.490/.564 through 12 games, with three doubles, three triples, 11 walks, and 12 strikeouts. He's still fanning too much for comfort, but is drawing more walks and showing more pop this year. He is also reportedly playing better defense in center field after struggling with his routes last year, probably an after-effect of the injury. Right now, Mitchell looks more like the player the White Sox thought they were getting when they drafted him. Even last year, his work ethic and drive to succeed were never in question.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/4/17/2955507/minor-league-notes-april-17-2012#storyjump

DirtySox
04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
What Scouts are Saying: Nestor Molina (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16522)

5th paragraph.

rainbow6
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
What Scouts are Saying: Nestor Molina (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16522)

5th paragraph.

Just wanted to say the thanks for these updates and links regarding the minors - the effort is appreciated.

Konerko05
04-20-2012, 08:59 PM

5th paragraph.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is only what one scout is saying.

It's always nice to see what scouts are saying about our minor league players, but there just seems to be such a huge variance of opinion regarding Molina.

Kenny and the White Sox organization have really excelled in the pitching department, so I'm just hoping a lot of scounts and analysts are guessing low on the guy.

SoxSpeed22
04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
The tricky is about Nestor is that his stuff is fairly average, inferior compared to most other pitching prospects. If his command isn't great, then he will get rocked, like he did in his first start. The pessimistic side will tell you that his stuff isn't good enough to be more than a #4 starter, while the optimistic side will say that he mixes up his pitches and locations well and acts like a #2 starter.

doublem23
04-21-2012, 12:09 AM

5th paragraph.

Was anyone actually expecting to see Molina this year? I was not.

EMachine10
04-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Molina last night: 7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.

Mitchell slugged his first HR last night. Has 3 2B, 4 3B, 1 HR on the year. .298/.420/.544 (.964). 20 K in 16 games, but at least he's getting on base.

DirtySox
04-21-2012, 02:17 PM

I'm hoping not to see him prematurely. We know how the organization likes to push prospects though. I'd like to see sufficient AA time, as well as time in Charlotte. Next year should be the earliest, lest he receives a September callup.

DirtySox
04-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is only what one scout is saying.

It's always nice to see what scouts are saying about our minor league players, but there just seems to be such a huge variance of opinion regarding Molina.

Indeed. The scout in question isn't that high on him, neither is KG. Sickels on the other hand really likes him. Just trying to post anything relevant in this thread. I'm not sure what I think of him just yet. I'm leaning more towards middle of the rotation starter than ace though.

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2012, 03:31 PM

With this organization one never knows who will be called up and when.

Moses_Scurry
04-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Maybe if they trade Floyd or something. Who goes into the rotation if/when someone gets hurt? I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't surprise a single person on this website if Jake Peavy hits the DL at some point.

sox1970
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
It will probably end up being Axelrod, but they could call up Molina for the doubleheader on May 7. The new CBA has a doubleheader rule for 26 on the active roster.

Humber is also scheduled to pitch May 7, but his wife is due on May 8, so you never know what may happen there.

DirtySox
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Maybe if they trade Floyd or something. Who goes into the rotation if/when someone gets hurt? I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't surprise a single person on this website if Jake Peavy hits the DL at some point.

Dylan Axelrod.

DirtySox
04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Sickels: Prospect Retrospective: Phil Humber (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/4/22/2966821/career-profile-phil-humber-rhp-chicago-white-sox-perfect-game)

DirtySox
04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Rienzo on BA's Hot Sheet under the "Men Among Boys" section.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2012/2613288.html

Like I stated previously, he should be in Birmingham soon.

EMachine10
04-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Simon Castro today: 8 IP 5 H, 2 ER, 1BB, 6 SO

rdivaldi
04-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Rienzo's line tonight: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

DonnieDarko
04-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Wow, lots of good pitching performances out of guys in the minors as of late.

EMachine10
04-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Sox minor league pitcher Andre Rienzo suspended for 50 games for violation of drug policy. Was 3-0 with Carolina League leading 31 K's.
Rienzo tested positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing substance, MLB said. Last pitched Monday for Winston-Salem

Dang.

sox1970
04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Rienzo's line tonight: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

He went out on top.

DirtySox
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Mitchell goes 3 - 3, 3B, BB in game 1 of tonight's doubleheader.

2 - 2, 2B in game 2 so far.

DirtySox
04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Nestor Molina earlier today:

7.0 IP 10 H 2 ER 1 BB 7 SO 1 HR

tacosalbarojas
04-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Sox minor league pitcher Andre Rienzo suspended for 50 games for violation of drug policy. Was 3-0 with Carolina League leading 31 K's.
Rienzo tested positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing substance, MLB said. Last pitched Monday for Winston-Salem

Dang.
Article I saw, he said he got it from a nutrition store in Brazil and thought it was fine, yada, yada, usual spin you hear from players. Hopefully it was an honest mistake but not good. Bell too was typical in his remarks saying he's a good kid, torn up by this mistake, that he thought about appealing it but decided in the end just to get it over with - good call, kid.

cws05champ
04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Mitchell goes 3 - 3, 3B, BB in game 1 of tonight's doubleheader.

2 - 2, 2B in game 2 so far.

Baseball America had a comment about him saying he could be the MiL comeback player of the year if he keeps this up. Starting to get a little excited about him again.

Article I saw, he said he got it from a nutrition store in Brazil and thought it was fine, yada, yada, usual spin you hear from players. Hopefully it was an honest mistake but not good. Bell too was typical in his remarks saying he's a good kid, torn up by this mistake, that he thought about appealing it but decided in the end just to get it over with - good call, kid.
It may have been an honest mistake, but players today are given so much information and support with the organization and baseball on what is allowed and what isn't. If there is any doubt send it to the team trainer to find out BEFORE you take it!

tacosalbarojas
04-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Baseball America had a comment about him saying he could be the MiL comeback player of the year if he keeps this up. Starting to get a little excited about him again.

It may have been an honest mistake, but players today are given so much information and support with the organization and baseball on what is allowed and what isn't. If there is any doubt send it to the team trainer to find out BEFORE you take it!
Because I said 'hopefully it was an honest mistake' doesn't mean I believe it was one. Just FYI. Also, seems like he was in Brazil when it happened, so sending the trainer probably wasn't an option.

DirtySox
04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Jared Mitchell was written about in today's Baseball America Hot Sheet. It's in the "In the Team Photo" section.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2012/2613317.html

Probably more importantly then the fact he's hitting is his strikeouts. Jared is K-ing 23.5% of the time currently, all while walking 18.8% of the time. This is a noteworthy improvement. If he can keep the strikeouts hovering around 20ish percent we might have something here. Encouraging.

cws05champ
04-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Because I said 'hopefully it was an honest mistake' doesn't mean I believe it was one. Just FYI. Also, seems like he was in Brazil when it happened, so sending the trainer probably wasn't an option.
Would it be that hard to take a picture of the ingredients and send it to your trainer? There are too many resources out there now to claim ignorance anymore.

SoxSpeed22
04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Rangel Ravelo ends the month 3-4 and is hitting .353. His strikeouts are still a concern though.

DirtySox
05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Myles Jaye has joined Kanny from extended.

DirtySox
05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Along with a line of .329/.462/.541, Jared Mitchell has 21 strikeouts in 106 PAs. That's good for a 19.8% K rate. This is perfectly acceptable considering his power production and almost 1:1 K:BB ratio. If he keeps this up we will have a great prospect on our hands.

DonnieDarko
05-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Along with a line of .329/.462/.541, Jared Mitchell has 21 strikeouts in 106 PAs. That's good for a 19.8% K rate. This is perfectly acceptable considering his power production and almost 1:1 K:BB ratio. If he keeps this up we will have a great prospect on our hands.

Wasn't his K rate closer to 23% earlier in the season? Yeah, this is an encouraging sign. I hope that he can continue to produce.

I just wonder who he's going to replace in the OF when/if he comes up to the Show.

asindc
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Wasn't his K rate closer to 23% earlier in the season? Yeah, this is an encouraging sign. I hope that he can continue to produce.

I just wonder who he's going to replace in the OF when/if he comes up to the Show.

Pipe Dream: If Dunn gets close to his career numbers for the first half, trade him and put Tank at DH/1B.

Realistic Scenario: Release Fukodome at end of season (I believe it's a club option in his contract).

doublem23
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Pipe Dream: If Dunn gets close to his career numbers for the first half, trade him and put Tank at DH/1B.

Realistic Scenario: Release Fukodome at end of season (I believe it's a club option in his contract).

I believe the Sox can non-tender the Tank after this year so Mitchell could take over LF in 2013 if the Sox give up on Dayan.

Alternatively, Konerko's contract expires after 2013, too, not outrageous to think Mitchell in LF and Viciedo and Dunn share 1B/DH in 2014

sox1970
05-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Eric Stults threw 7 innings today. 2 runs, 0 walks.

Good chance he'll get the call for next Monday's doubleheader. Whether he'll start or not, is up in the air. Probably will just depend on how the Sox have to use Axelrod this coming weekend.

Josh Phegley is 2-4. Hitting .373

DirtySox
05-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Myles Jaye making his first start for Kanny tonight. He will be an interesting follow.

5 SO through 2.0 IP so far.

DirtySox
05-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Also worth noting is that Tyler Saladino is playing 2B recently, after playing nothing but SS since he was drafted. He might be in line to replace Beckham at some point down the road. After a somewhat slow start he's started to hit a bit. Sitting at .253/.414/.363. His power numbers are down compared to seasons past, but still early. Has a fantastic BB:SO ratio of 22 to 20.

DirtySox
05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Myles Jaye finishes with:

5.0 IP 4 H 1 ER 0 BB 7 SO

DirtySox
05-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Kevin Goldstein ‏ @Kevin_Goldstein
Big, athletic, raw arm worth keeping an eye on. RT @ProfessorFog: @Kevin_Goldstein Any thoughts on Myles Jaye? Nice 1st start.

Daver
05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
They already tried Viciedo at first, it didn't last long.

JohnTucker0814
05-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Why would you want to replace Viciedo and not De Aza? I see no real future in De Aza, he's nothing more than a AAAA player. Viciedo has the potential to be an above average major leager. If he wasn't batting in front of Morel and Beckhams automatic outs, he'd probably get a few more pitches to hit. An aggressive hitter like Viciedo is only going to succeed if there is someone that can hit behind him.

DonnieDarko
05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Why would you want to replace Viciedo and not De Aza? I see no real future in De Aza, he's nothing more than a AAAA player. Viciedo has the potential to be an above average major leager. If he wasn't batting in front of Morel and Beckhams automatic outs, he'd probably get a few more pitches to hit. An aggressive hitter like Viciedo is only going to succeed if there is someone that can hit behind him.

To be fair, I don't think that we've seen enough out of De Aza yet to make that conclusion. I mean, for all we know, he could be one of the guys that has figured it out later in his career. It's also still early.

In conclusion: we'll just have to see how things develop. Assuming that De Aza can at least show that he can be a competent major leaguer, I was thinking that Rios might be the first to go if/when Mitchell makes it to the Show. I mean, I can't see many people here that would want Rios to resign anyway.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I must be watching a different player, because I don't know what De Aza has done since coming up with the Sox last year that screams AAAA player? He's played in 79 games for us now over 2 years, has a .302/.379/.500 slash line, and his numbers extrapolate to 15 HR, 101 R, 31 stolen bases, 37 doubles, and 11 triples over the course of 162 games played. He's outperformed anyone's wildest expectations. On top of that, he's just a ****ing spark plug. He plays hard, seems to have a good baseball IQ (at the plate, anyway), and is just an exciting guy to watch. I definitely feel he brings an intangible energy to the team, like he's out to prove everyone who gave up on him wrong.

Now, granted, I know that he just turned 28 so you can't pencil him for the next 10+ years like you would a more traditional prospect, but his prime years will probably last until at least 2015.

tacosalbarojas
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
ADA reminds me a bit of Singleton in terms of age, reputation and performance. Now, he still needs to do it for a more extended period, but he's on that type of pace.

rdivaldi
05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I must be watching a different player, because I don't know what De Aza has done since coming up with the Sox last year that screams AAAA player? He's played in 79 games for us now over 2 years, has a .302/.379/.500 slash line, and his numbers extrapolate to 15 HR, 101 R, 31 stolen bases, 37 doubles, and 11 triples over the course of 162 games played. He's outperformed anyone's wildest expectations. On top of that, he's just a ****ing spark plug. He plays hard, seems to have a good baseball IQ (at the plate, anyway), and is just an exciting guy to watch. I definitely feel he brings an intangible energy to the team, like he's out to prove everyone who gave up on him wrong.

Now, granted, I know that he just turned 28 so you can't pencil him for the next 10+ years like you would a more traditional prospect, but his prime years will probably last until at least 2015.

I second this thought. Although odds are against De Aza ever reaching All-Star status, he's looking pretty solid. We've had to watch some pretty awful play out in CF and in the lead-off slot over the last couple of years, De Aza has given us a nice surprise.

DirtySox
05-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Juan Silverio has joined the Dash.

EMachine10
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Petricka moves up to Birmingham

KMcMahon817
05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Nestor Molina up to AAA.

SoxSpeed22
05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
The Petricka one was kind of odd since he had a pretty bad start. How's progress on his off-speed stuff?

DirtySox
05-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Nestor Molina up to AAA.

Premature I'd argue. Wasn't exactly dominating in Birmingham. We'll see I suppose.

DirtySox
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
The Petricka one was kind of odd since he had a pretty bad start. How's progress on his off-speed stuff?

It still isn't considered very good. He's very likely destined for the bullpen where he could thrive.

DirtySox
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
It's been mentioned that Molina/Petricka's promotions might just merely be due to the double header and the associated promotions. Just to get a taste of the higher level if you will. We will see.

Either way Molina was lit up in Charlotte.

4.0 IP 9 H 6 ER 1 BB 4 SO 2 HR

cards press box
05-09-2012, 09:25 AM

ADA reminds me a bit of Singleton in terms of age, reputation and performance. Now, he still needs to do it for a more extended period, but he's on that type of pace.

In terms of offense, De Aza's performance in his time with the Sox has been better than Chris Singleton's. Singleton was an excellent defensive center fielder and De Aza has been quite good with the glove, too.

It's been mentioned that Molina/Petricka's promotions might just merely be due to the double header and the associated promotions. Just to get a taste of the higher level if you will. We will see.

Either way Molina was lit up in Charlotte.

4.0 IP 9 H 6 ER 1 BB 4 SO 2 HR

Accordng to the Trib (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0509-bits-white-sox-indians-chicago--20120509,0,5373229.story), Molina was sent back to Birmingham.

DirtySox
05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
So after his torrid start to the year, Jared Mitchell is in a bad slump.

.156/.229/.313 over his last 9 games with 14 SO to 3 BB. K% back up to 26%. Hopefully he turns it around soon.

DirtySox
05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Another nice start by Jaye.

5.0 IP 6 H 1 BB 6 SO 1 HR

DirtySox
05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
If for some reason you'd like to see the Winston-Salem Dash rendition of "Starships" by Nicki Minaj, you can watch it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LF3BrB2ouU).

SoxSpeed22
05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Blair Walters named SAL pitcher of the week.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120521&content_id=31891268&vkey=news_t487&fext=.jsp&sid=t487

DirtySox
05-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Live armed Jeff Soptic has joined Kanny.

SoxSpeed22
05-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Uuuuggggghhhh
http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2012/05/25/petricka-leaves-game-in-first-inning/

DrCrawdad
05-26-2012, 06:27 AM
In terms of offense, De Aza's performance in his time with the Sox has been better than Chris Singleton's. Singleton was an excellent defensive center fielder and De Aza has been quite good with the glove, too.

Accordng to the Trib (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0509-bits-white-sox-indians-chicago--20120509,0,5373229.story), Molina was sent back to Birmingham.

Looks like at this point Nestor Molina has not been all that impressive. Great...

DirtySox
05-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Looks like at this point Nestor Molina has not been all that impressive. Great...

Yep. Been rather mediocre so far. H/9 are up, and the SO/9 are way down. Still a ways to go though. I never did, and still don't think he's a top of the rotation guy. Still predict he's a solid middle of the rotation piece when all is said and done.

DirtySox
05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Uuuuggggghhhh

Jacob Petricka ‏@jacobpetricka
I threw four pitches and it feels likei the 200 #awesome
Reply Retweet Favorite

doublem23
05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Uuuuggggghhhh

Not going to worry too much about a fluke injury, that stuff happens. Would be a lot more worried if he felt that pain just from throwing a pitch. That's what's scary.

It's been what? 7 weeks? Give the kid some time.

Yep. Been rather mediocre so far. H/9 are up, and the SO/9 are way down. Still a ways to go though. I never did, and still don't think he's a top of the rotation guy. Still predict he's a solid middle of the rotation piece when all is said and done.

Which is still more valuable than a closer

DirtySox
05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Which is still more valuable than a closer

Yep.

EMachine10
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Petricka started last night after being removed 4 days ago and got pounded.

Simon Castro at Birmingham: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K.
For the season: 4-2, 3.74; 65.0 IP, 65 H, 13 BB, 54 K, 2.54 BAA. Needs to work on some consistency.

johnnyg83
05-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Axlerod Minor League stats are great: 49.2 IP 1.01 WHIP, 52 K/10 BBs.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Axlerod Minor League stats are great: 49.2 IP 1.01 WHIP, 52 K/10 BBs.

Glad we're starting to see a bit of depth built in the system.

rdivaldi
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Quietly, Jordan Danks is having a solid season. Current slash line .293/.407/.468 and will be higher tomorrow after going 2- 3 tonight with a walk.

Tragg
06-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Quietly, Jordan Danks is having a solid season. Current slash line .293/.407/.468 and will be higher tomorrow after going 2- 3 tonight with a walk.
WE sure could use a 4th outfielder.
But maybe he's turning into a player; if so, he should probably keep working in the minor leagues every day.

Tragg
06-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Singleton was a terrible hitter. I hope De Aza is well ahead of that pace.

DonnieDarko
06-01-2012, 12:47 AM
What's the word on Josh Phegley?

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2012, 06:18 AM

It would be an incredible stroke of luck if Rios has a good year, and this offseason KW can flip him for a prospect, and Danks can step into RF next year and put up Rios-like numbers. One can dream, no?

Tragg
06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
It would be an incredible stroke of luck if Rios has a good year, and this offseason KW can flip him for a prospect, and Danks can step into RF next year and put up Rios-like numbers. One can dream, no?

I'm penciling in Mitchell for that job. He should be ready (if ever ready) at the end of 2013, just in time to take Rios' spot.

guillensdisciple
06-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm penciling in Mitchell for that job. He should be ready (if ever ready) at the end of 2013, just in time to take Rios' spot.

Yep, would rather have Mitchell in there. Looks like a solid two hitter with speed and some pop. I would love to have him in the line-up fully developed.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Yep, would rather have Mitchell in there. Looks like a solid two hitter with speed and some pop. I would love to have him in the line-up fully developed.

I would rather have BOTH of them pan out and force some tough roster decisions.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM

I hope Mitchell pans out. Power numbers and walks are up this year but the K% is still rather concerning. It was at an acceptable rate about a month ago, but it's back up to 27.3% at this point. He will always have some swing and miss to his game, but it needs to be reduced some.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Erik Johnson has been in Kanny for a few days and is finally making his first start tonight. Unfortunately, he has had elbow issues ever since he was drafted.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I would rather have BOTH of them pan out and force some tough roster decisions.

So would I, but realistically Danks is a 4th OF/defensive replacement. It's his 3rd season in AAA.

DirtySox
06-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Glad we're starting to see a bit of depth built in the system.

It's mostly back end of the rotation depth, but better than nothing.

rdivaldi
06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
So would I, but realistically Danks is a 4th OF/defensive replacement. It's his 3rd season in AAA.

Nice to see him putting it together though even if it is his 3rd year. Hit a 3 run bomb last night. Slash line up to .302/.419/.516.

rdivaldi
06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Singleton was a terrible hitter. I hope De Aza is well ahead of that pace.

At this point of the season De Aza's OBP is about 40 points higher compared to Singleton's best year, so looking good so far.

BigHurt3515
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
According to Scott Merkin: Jared Mitchell named to North Division roster for 2012 Southern League All-Star Game. Would not be surprised to see him in Chi in September

EMachine10
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales) Sox released Triple-A Charlotte pitcher Terry Doyle so he could pursue opportunities in Japan.

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein (https://twitter.com/#%21/Kevin_Goldstein) I just talked to a scout about Doyle. He had ceiling as middle relief.

arKnaD7
06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Anyone know what is up with Keenyn Walker? I noticed he hasn't played since 6/8.

DirtySox
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Anyone know what is up with Keenyn Walker? I noticed he hasn't played since 6/8.

Injured. DL.

SoxSpeed22
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Carlos Sanchez to represent the Sox at the Futures game.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120621&content_id=33692402&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws
Meanwhile, Blair Walters is his his new teammate at Winston-Salem.

RKMeibalane
06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Keon Barnum has hit his first minor league home run, a solo home run off of Kevin Comer of the Bluefield Blue Jays. The Bristol Sox are scheduled to play a double-header this evening against Bluefield, Wednesday's game having been rained out. The Sox lost their season-opener Tuesday evening.

Courtney Hawkins has yet to make his first official appearance at Bristol, but may see action in the second game of tonight's double-header.

BigHurt3515
06-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Keon Barnum has hit his first minor league home run, a solo home run off of Kevin Comer of the Bluefield Blue Jays. The Bristol Sox are scheduled to play a double-header this evening against Bluefield, Wednesday's game having been rained out. The Sox lost their season-opener Tuesday evening.

Courtney Hawkins has yet to make his first official appearance at Bristol, but may see action in the second game of tonight's double-header.

Barnum hit another home run in the 2nd game and Hawkins went 0-3

RKMeibalane
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
The Bristol White Sox are in action this weekend against the Danville Braves. Both Courtney Hawkins and Keon Barnum are in tonight's lineup against Danville: Hawkins is batting third and playing CF. Barnum is batting fourth, and playing 1B.

Edit: Barnum has hit his third home run in as many games, helping Bristol to a 4-2 lead through three innings. Barnum is 2-2 with a single, home run, and two runs batted in.

rdivaldi
07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Rienzo strikes out 10 in 5 IP in a blowout win (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t247&t=g_box&gid=2012_07_02_hunaax_biraax_1) for the Barons.

Trayce Thompson smacks 2 more home runs in a WS 9th inning win (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t580&t=g_box&gid=2012_07_02_wswafa_lynafa_1).

doublem23
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
3rd round pick in this year's draft Joey DeMichele tore the cover off the ball in his first few weeks of pro ball and has been promoted from Bristol to Kannapolis

WisSoxFan
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Ran into a Sox farm hand's dad over the weekend (Ryan Kussmaul, Birmingham closer so it appears). His dad is a friend of my wife's uncle so I was introduced. I was wearing a Sox hat so he starts telling me about Ryan and how well he is doing and what he (the dad) thinks his prospects are of getting called up to the big club (he thinks they're good for Sept. and possibly beyond). I looked up his numbers and they are good. So I ask, what about this guy? He's 25 and a closer in AA. I don't see that as a great position to be in, but I'm curious to find out what those that follow the Sox farm teams better than I think.

Thanks in advance.

Edit-I'm not going to offended if everyone says "he sucks" or "has a snow ball's chance in hell."

Adele_H
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
The Bristol White Sox are in action this weekend against the Danville Braves. Both Courtney Hawkins and Keon Barnum are in tonight's lineup against Danville: Hawkins is batting third and playing CF. Barnum is batting fourth, and playing 1B.

Edit: Barnum has hit his third home run in as many games, helping Bristol to a 4-2 lead through three innings. Barnum is 2-2 with a single, home run, and two runs batted in.

Rienzo strikes out 10 in 5 IP in a blowout win (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t247&t=g_box&gid=2012_07_02_hunaax_biraax_1) for the Barons.

Trayce Thompson smacks 2 more home runs in a WS 9th inning win (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t580&t=g_box&gid=2012_07_02_wswafa_lynafa_1).

Divaldi still all about farm system, my my. Brings back memories of like the glory days of Aaron Poreda's alleged 99 mph sinker with unhittable slider & pinpoint control while in AA Birmingham.... that I guess when later translated into proper Major-Leaguese, actually meant "94 mph, string-straight, cement-mixer slider; wild; needs a haircut"..... :tongue:

Sigh, nostalgia sure ain't what it used it be.

No surrresly, RD.........from what I gather Sox seem to have put behind the days of BorchardHonelRoyceRingBrianAndersonJoshFieldsLance BroadwayKyleMcllulochAaronPoreda

Ok, no more Dave Wilder, Duane Schaffer horror.

Reading names like Trayce Thompson, Jarred Mitchell, Hawkins, Walker, Barnum, Soptic, Petricka -- not to mention Chris Sale, Viciedo, Nate Jones, Reed, Septimo on the bigleague club..... Sox are stockpiling high-upside talent for a change.

How close are the bolded names to the majors?

Thanks.

DonnieDarko
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't know how close Mitchell is to The Show. His K rate is absolutely horrendous. Don't get me wrong: he's improved a lot, but he's still got some way to go.

sox1970
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't know how close Mitchell is to The Show. His K rate is absolutely horrendous. Don't get me wrong: he's improved a lot, but he's still got some way to go.

Mitchell's legs may get him to Chicago in September, but he needs to finish up strong.

The other guys, Walker and Thompson, are at least 2 years away, if they're any good.

Hawkins and Barnum--four years if they're any good.

rdivaldi
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Divaldi still all about farm system, my my. Brings back memories of like the glory days of Aaron Poreda's alleged 99 mph sinker with unhittable slider & pinpoint control while in AA Birmingham.... that I guess when later translated into proper Major-Leaguese, actually meant "94 mph, string-straight, cement-mixer slider; wild; needs a haircut"..... :tongue:

Sigh, nostalgia sure ain't what it used it be.

No surrresly, RD.........from what I gather Sox seem to have put behind the days of BorchardHonelRoyceRingBrianAndersonJoshFieldsLance BroadwayKyleMcllulochAaronPoreda

Ok, no more Dave Wilder, Duane Schaffer horror.

Reading names like Trayce Thompson, Jarred Mitchell, Hawkins, Walker, Barnum, Soptic, Petricka -- not to mention Chris Sale, Viciedo, Nate Jones, Reed, Septimo on the bigleague club..... Sox are stockpiling high-upside talent for a change.

How close are the bolded names to the majors?

Thanks.

The lesson learned from Poreda and all other Barons pitchers is that the radar gun in Birmingham is juiced. Basically you subtract 3/4 mph from any scouting report coming out of there. Speaking of Aaron, I still have no idea what happened to his control. He hasn't been able to throw a strike in years.

As for the bolded names Mitchell is the closest to being ready for the big leagues, but he still needs 2013 in the minors and then a September call-up. The rest of those guys are 2,3,4 years off.

rdivaldi
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Ran into a Sox farm hand's dad over the weekend (Ryan Kussmaul, Birmingham closer so it appears). His dad is a friend of my wife's uncle so I was introduced. I was wearing a Sox hat so he starts telling me about Ryan and how well he is doing and what he (the dad) thinks his prospects are of getting called up to the big club (he thinks they're good for Sept. and possibly beyond). I looked up his numbers and they are good. So I ask, what about this guy? He's 25 and a closer in AA. I don't see that as a great position to be in, but I'm curious to find out what those that follow the Sox farm teams better than I think.

Thanks in advance.

Edit-I'm not going to offended if everyone says "he sucks" or "has a snow ball's chance in hell."

Throws a nice 2 seamer which can dominate AA players, but right handed relievers that throw in the high 80's - low 90's usually don't translate to the majors.

Adele_H
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
The lesson learned from Poreda and all other Barons pitchers is that the radar gun in Birmingham is juiced. Basically you subtract 3/4 mph from any scouting report coming out of there. Speaking of Aaron, I still have no idea what happened to his control. He hasn't been able to throw a strike in years.

As for the bolded names Mitchell is the closest to being ready for the big leagues, but he still needs 2013 in the minors and then a September call-up. The rest of those guys are 2,3,4 years off.

Doesn't speak well for minor-league scouting reports in general, does it? Aaron Poreda, Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Jeff Marquez, Zach Stewart.....:rolling: Mercy!

(Exception: Bobby Jenks in 2005. He threw 98-102 mph with a wicked hammer in AA....and then did same when he came up to the majors. Strangest thing. Big man must have gotten a hold of some Hoover Met cryptonite).

And to be fair, RD..... you have to subtract 1-2 mph pretty much from any gun reading, whether TV or stadium, to get some sembblance of realistic, old-school speed. I bet if Sam McDowell, Dalcowski or young Nolan Ryan pitched for some of those newer FOX/ESPN guns, they'd be hitting 105 mph. The Kansis City one maybe the worst -- it had Chris Sale at like 100-101 mph and old broken down Scott Linebrink at 98 mph back in 2010 IIRC. Hilarz.

So anyway. De Aza emergence & Rios rejuvenation in 2012 certainly affords the Sox the luxury to be more patient with OF Mitchell, Thompson, et al. More conservative. Wasn't Mitchell like a part-time football player in college? I know he lost a year to a leg injury, as well....

As long there is no Borchard redux with those guys, I'll take your word for it. Big lesson for me as far as the difference between college/minors and the Bigs. I mean, the minor league stats were impressive. But Joe Borchard's brain just wasn't wired for big-league baseball -- he seemed to do everything at football speed. Way too cerebral & self-conscious for the majors from what I saw. Very Ivy League temperament. Unfortunately, in big league baseball, there is NO time to *think*; it's all about pure lightening-quick reflexes, fast-twitch, crazy hand-eye coordination.

That's how little Paul Molitor or Ichiro can stand next to a football stud or scout-combine monster like Borchard and you think they don't deserve to be on the same diamond as him. But then the actual game starts --- and it's the other way around! Ah baseballl....nothing quite like it.

WisSoxFan
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Throws a nice 2 seamer which can dominate AA players, but right handed relievers that throw in the high 80's - low 90's usually don't translate to the majors.

So dad was just being a dad. Nothing wrong with that.

mzh
07-04-2012, 12:53 AM
What's the story on Andre Rienzo? Got busted for PEDs earlier in the season IIRC, but between High-A and Birmingham he has been lights out, ERA somewhere below 1.20. Is this guy a future rotation piece or just an organizational player?

rdivaldi
07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
What's the story on Andre Rienzo? Got busted for PEDs earlier in the season IIRC, but between High-A and Birmingham he has been lights out, ERA somewhere below 1.20. Is this guy a future rotation piece or just an organizational player?

Definitely a future major leaguer...unless of course the PED thing is a recurring issue.

rdivaldi
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
3rd round pick in this year's draft Joey DeMichele tore the cover off the ball in his first few weeks of pro ball and has been promoted from Bristol to Kannapolis

Where he has continued to destroy minor league pitching, collecting 9 hits in his first 17 at bats.

Tragg
07-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Which Rookie league is our high rookie league - Bristol or Great Falls?
Are these leagues literally only for rookies?

Divaldi still all about farm system, my my.
He's great. Love his posts. There was another guy who used to post a ton on the minor leagues up to maybe 4 years ago - forget his name - he was great too.

Question for rdivaldi - what's the the reason that Addison Reed, for being such a top prospect that he was, was penciled in as a career reliever and no consideration is given to him as a starter?

rdivaldi
07-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Which Rookie league is our high rookie league - Bristol or Great Falls?
Are these leagues literally only for rookies?

Great Falls is considered to be a step above Bristol. If you notice, most of our guys there came out of college. The players in Bristol tend to be more of the high school and promoted Dominican Summer League variety. Most of the guys in both places tend to be in their first year or are rehab projects, but there's no rule that say that they have to be rookies.

He's great. Love his posts. There was another guy who used to post a ton on the minor leagues up to maybe 4 years ago - forget his name - he was great too.

Question for rdivaldi - what's the the reason that Addison Reed, for being such a top prospect that he was, was penciled in as a career reliever and no consideration is given to him as a starter?

Thanks for the props, I'm always happy to contribute to the discussion whenever possible. I'm not able to see much minor league ball (in person at least) anymore, but I try to read scouting reports and watch video as much as possible.

Addison was the closer at San Diego State for two years before spending his final year as a starter. But the Aztecs had this guy named Strasburg (or something like that) who overshadowed him. To his credit, he was a very effective starter that one year and was considered the ace of the staff after Strasburg left. But his velocity as a starter sat in the 89-92 range and there were some concerns about his mechanics in the long run. Thus, he lasted until the third round as the 95th pick overall.

It's great how we were able to score such superb talent in he and Sale in 2010. If Petricka were to somehow harness his talent we'd have quite the rounds 1-3 for that year.

rdivaldi
07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Bill Rice hits for the cycle (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120715&content_id=35004556&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb), Kanny smokes Greensboro 14- 5.

TheVulture
07-17-2012, 10:36 PM
So dad was just being a dad. Nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone having any kind of success at AA or AAA to appear in a Sox uniform at some point this summer. We've already seen nine rookies, how many guys can they have down there?

CoopaLoop
07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
I saw Keenyn Walker hit a home run off Dylan Bundy the other day. What has he done other than that this season?

SoxSpeed22
07-24-2012, 12:51 AM
I didn't even know Walker was in Winston-Salem. Homering off of a guy who's projected to be a front-line starter is a heck of a thing.
Walker was only called up last week after posting a .395 OBP in Kanny. Good to see him moving up.

DirtySox
07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Jared Mitchell and his 30% K rate promoted to Charlotte.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Jared Mitchell and his 30% K rate promoted to Charlotte.

Hypothetical for discussion: Let's say Mitchell cuts down on his Ks and raises his bating average without significantly sacrificing power or walks, and is ready for 2013 (or even 2014), and doesn't get traded. What happens with the Sox roster? Do you trade Rios, Viciedo or DeAza? Or trade Dunn or PK (or not re-sign him) with the one who stays playing 1B, and Viciedo moving to DH? Or do you work Mitchell into an OF rotation?

WhiteSox5187
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Hypothetical for discussion: Let's say Mitchell cuts down on his Ks and raises his bating average without significantly sacrificing power or walks, and is ready for 2013 (or even 2014), and doesn't get traded. What happens with the Sox roster? Do you trade Rios, Viciedo or DeAza? Or trade Dunn or PK (or not re-sign him) with the one who stays playing 1B, and Viciedo moving to DH? Or do you work Mitchell into an OF rotation?

Well, I think that that scenario is unlikely to happen but I would probably get rid of Vicideo at this point. I think that Mitchell projects as a corner outfielder with some power and I don't think that Dayan will ever be the hitter we thought he was going to be. But that is just me.

SoxSpeed22
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Kevan Smith and Scott Snodgress called up to WS. Snodgress with 10K in his Carolina league debut.

guillensdisciple
07-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Anyone know the deal with this Sanchez kid? I see that he is tearing it up but can't get good scouting on him.

DSpivack
07-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Tyler Saladino was on NPR.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/29/157554038/major-baseball-dreams-in-the-minor-leagues

DirtySox
07-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Anyone know the deal with this Sanchez kid? I see that he is tearing it up but can't get good scouting on him.

Likely a 2B in the long run. Not much power projection, but he can hit. He's a solid prospect.

doublem23
07-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Likely a 2B in the long run. Not much power projection, but he can hit. He's a solid prospect.

Who has been playing 2B in Birmingham since Sanchez was promoted and he and Saladino are on the same team?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Who has been playing 2B in Birmingham since Sanchez was promoted and he and Saladino are on the same team?

Saladino was moved up to Charlotte when Olmedo was promoted. Sanchez played 2B in Birmingham, with Paiml at SS, today.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Saladino was moved up to Charlotte when Olmedo was promoted. Sanchez played 2B in Birmingham, with Paiml at SS, today.

Ah, cool, thanks. I didn't see Tyler is up to AAA now. Saladino and Sanchez were still on the same team for about 7-10 days, though, right? Who played the majority of 2B during that time?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Ah, cool, thanks. I didn't see Tyler is up to AAA now. Saladino and Sanchez were still on the same team for about 7-10 days, though, right? Who played the majority of 2B during that time?

Saladino almost always played SS at Birmingham. Occasionally, he would play 2B and Sanchez would move to SS, but that was the exception.

BigHurt3515
08-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I really hope this Sanchez kid is pretty good defensively at 3rd
He is batting .387 in AA

DSpivack
08-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Tyler Kuhn was traded to Arizona. No word yet on the return.

DonnieDarko
08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I really hope this Sanchez kid is pretty good defensively at 3rd
He is batting .387 in AA

Is 3rd his natural position?

BigHurt3515
08-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Is 3rd his natural position?

I am just going by what his player card says
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=570560

DonnieDarko
08-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Huh. He's 20 years old, hitting for a high average and is a switch hitter. Maybe he gets called up this year and we see him on the team the year after? Lord knows that once Youkilis is gone after this year we're going to need someone to play 3B.

BigHurt3515
08-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Huh. He's 20 years old, hitting for a high average and is a switch hitter. Maybe he gets called up this year and we see him on the team the year after? Lord knows that once Youkilis is gone after this year we're going to need someone to play 3B.

That is what I am hoping. He doesn't hit for power but if he hits .300, I don't really care

BigHurt3515
08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Tyler Kuhn was traded to Arizona. No word yet on the return.

Just for cash

doublem23
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
That is what I am hoping. He doesn't hit for power but if he hits .300, I don't really care

I'm personally always fearful of guys that hit for absolutely no power in the minors. I'm not saying the guy has to absolutely mash the ball, but if you can't hit for any power in A+ and AA ball, that's worrisome for MLB production. Lots of ground balls that make it through the infield in the minors are webgems in the Majors. Lots of little flares that fall in front of OF in the minors are relatively easy plays in the Majors. Lots of pitches you foul off or sneak into play on a bad swing will absolutely buckle your knees in the Majors.

I'm happy to see Sanchez have such a good season and have success in leagues that are a bit advanced for his age, but you ultimately have to hit with some authority if you're going to be an everyday player in the Majors.

Unless this guy can ****ing fly, in which case that makes up for it sometimes.

DirtySox
08-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Sanchez is a 2B. His hit tool is great, but he doesn't project to have much of any power.

KG was asked about him last night on Twitter again:

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Can really hit, but VERY few secondary skills. RT @samelladad1: @Kevin_Goldstein how about wsox 2b prospect carlos sanchez? any info?

rdivaldi
08-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Trayce Thompson promoted to Birmingham, goes 1- 4 in debut. It will be interesting to see how that ballpark affects his power numbers.

rdivaldi
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Erik Johnson (2nd rd. 2011) has been cruising along in WS. Got the win last night: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K. Through 38 IP, his ERA is 1.64 with an OBA of .187

vinny
08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Carlos Sanchez reports to Charlotte today. Maybe a September call-up?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Sanchez is a 2B. His hit tool is great, but he doesn't project to have much of any power.

KG was asked about him last night on Twitter again:

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Can really hit, but VERY few secondary skills. RT @samelladad1: @Kevin_Goldstein how about wsox 2b prospect carlos sanchez? any info?

Is he being moved up fast just to be trade bait? He doesn't sound like he can replace Beckham, unless he's a great fielder.

jcw218
08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Carlos Sanchez reports to Charlotte today. Maybe a September call-up?

Not unless a roster move is made with the 40 man roster because it stands at 40

Hitmen77
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Not unless a roster move is made with the 40 man roster because it stands at 40

Does that include John Danks? If so, the Sox can move him to the 60-day DL and free up a spot on the 40-man.

sox1970
08-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Does that include John Danks? If so, the Sox can move him to the 60-day DL and free up a spot on the 40-man.

Danks is on the 60-day already. Bruney could be moved there too.

SoxSpeed22
08-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Eric Grabe named to 2012 Appy League all-star team.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120823&content_id=37214284&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb
Kanny should be a better challenge for him next year.

BigHurt3515
08-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Hawkins through 13 games in Kannapolis:

18-54 (.333 avg), 2 HR, 10 RBI, 3 SB, 3 BB, 13 K

BigHurt3515
08-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Hawkins called up to Winston-Salem after batting .308 with 4 home runs in Kannapolis

guillensdisciple
08-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Hawkins called up to Winston-Salem after batting .308 with 4 home runs in Kannapolis

That kid is going to be something special.

BigHurt3515
08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
That kid is going to be something special.

I sure do hope so!

Hitmen77
08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
The Sox have released Greg Infante. He was on the 40-man roster. It's at the bottom of this article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-addition-of-lopez-gimenez-among-soxs-5-roster-moves-20120830,0,5534687.story

SoxSpeed22
09-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Kanny's season just ended, might as well keep challenging the kid.
Erik Johnson will start game 1 of the Division Championship Series for the Dash.

chidavid18
09-06-2012, 01:18 AM
???

doublem23
09-06-2012, 06:24 AM
???

Trayce Thompson
Carlos Sanchez
Andre Reinzo
Andy Wilkins

https://twitter.com/WhiteSoxTalkCSN/statuses/240278835482992640?tw_i=240278835482992640&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

jcw218
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Who from the White Sox will be in the AZ fall league this year???

From this article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120829&content_id=37551808&notebook_id=37552012&vkey=notebook_mlb&c_id=mlb) on WhiteSox.com

Pitchers Andre Rienzo, Santos Rodriguez and Taylor Thompson, infielders Carlos Sanchez and Andy Wilkens and outfielder Trayce Thompson will represent the White Sox in the Arizona Fall League, playing for the Salt River Rafters.