PDA

View Full Version : Duquette tells Orioles fans that reaching .500 is just starting point

Fenway
01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-fanfest-0122-20120121,0,2551239.story

Of note - on a snowy Saturday in a city consumed by Ravens fever, the team drew 9,000 fans to their FanFest.

palehozenychicty
01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
They need to find out if these young guys like Matusz/Arrieta/Britton can be the answer for that staff. They were really brutal last year. With Toronto improving fast, they need to know.

kittle42
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
What the Orioles need is to sign more 35 year-old and above free agents. That philosophy seems to have worked for them the past 20 years.

palehozenychicty
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
What the Orioles need is to sign more 35 year-old and above free agents. That philosophy seems to have worked for them the past 20 years.

Ha. They have been doing that a lot since Cal Ripken retired.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
The O's will never realistically compete in any division that includes the Yankees and Red Sox...rarely they might have a good season but consistently? Nada.

Lip

palehozenychicty
01-23-2012, 06:11 PM
The O's will never realistically compete in any division that includes the Yankees and Red Sox...rarely they might have a good season but consistently? Nada.

Lip

I think the extra wild cards will actually give them the chance that you feel doesn't exist. They'll be terrible for the immediate future, but they have a once-proud tradition of excellence. Angelos may have to pass on for them to get better, but never say never.

Fenway
01-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Lip

Tampa Bay the last 4 years blows that argument out of the water and they look pretty good for 2012.

Angelos is said to have given Duquette carte blanche. The Mike Flannigan suicide shook the owner badly.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Pale:

Mathematically you are correct of course the flip side is the extra wild card spot just increases the chances of the big four spenders in the A.L. (Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Rangers) to almost guarantee themselves of a postseason spot as well, no?

I just think it's going to be very hard for Baltimore, the situation they are in is almost unwinnable. Ownership has much to do with it of course but not all of it.

And if you read my post I said they might have a good season from time to time but consistently? I don't think so and that goes for Tampa as well.

The best situation for the Rays might be an eventual move and force MLB to place the in another division. The talent pipeline is going to run out sooner or later because fan support is so lax. Less fans, less money for player development and for signing bonuses.

Lip

SephClone89
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Pale:

Mathematically you are correct of course the flip side is the extra wild card spot just increases the chances of the big four spenders in the A.L. (Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Rangers) to almost guarantee themselves of a postseason spot as well, no?

That's if you consider a one and out wild card loss as a postseason appearance, and who does, anyway? I look at it as a play-in game.

Fenway
01-24-2012, 08:57 AM
That's if you consider a one and out wild card loss as a postseason appearance, and who does, anyway? I look at it as a play-in game.

That is actually the hold up - MLB would like to give ESPN the play-in games but TBS says they belong to them. Selig has to decide if they are playoff or regular season games.

A one game playoff will also put the wild card winner at a disadvantage for LDS games since the #1 starter has been used.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Seph:

At the end of the season the MLB record book will do so. You're free to choose not to of course.

Lip

Fenway
01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Seph:

At the end of the season the MLB record book will do so. You're free to choose not to of course.

Lip

Lip you may be the ONLY person who thinks this is helping Boston and NY - ( and Texas/Anaheim) - Now if it had been in place in 2011, Atlanta-St Louis and Boston-Tampa would have met in a play-in.

Now a team has to go all out to win the division because anything can happen in one game.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Fenway:

All I know is one game or not, those teams are in the post season and will be with regularity. That's four of five possible spots.

The O's, Jays etc. have very little chance to consistently make an impact and even get to a one game post season situation. No matter what their front offices say. (They have to say stuff like that or they won't have any fans remaining.)

Time will tell but let's say based on the numbers over the past decade with four playoff spots on the line the odds are good the trend is going to continue into the future.

From 2000-2009 the Red and Yankees combined to take 40% out of all potential spots for that decade in the A.L. Now throw in the Angels (who had six if memory serves) and even you can do the math and understand the chances.

Lip

gobears1987
01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
If the Orioles want to win, they need to make sure that Bobby Jenks gets healthy so they can face him a dozen times or so.

asindc
01-24-2012, 04:15 PM
If the Orioles want to win, they need to make sure that Bobby Jenks gets healthy so they can face him a dozen times or so.

Normally I would ask if you meant teal, but I have sat through enough Jenks-Baltimore meltdowns to know that teal was not implied.

Fenway
01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Tampa Bay has proved that with a good baseball ops department they can at least give it a run and they have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Boston can't say that.

Baltimore simply has a bad owner. ( same can be said of Kansas City and Pittsburgh ) - Toronto certainly can not be called small market and now that the Canadian dollar is at roughly par they should do better. They have a national TV contract which is almost equal to what the Yankees have in terms of households.

Things in Boston are fluid right now. Many think this ownership group is ready to cash out. They are not local and revenue has been maxed out. Problem is who has the money to buy them? Since NESN is actually worth more than the team it could very well be Comcast and Dolan fighting it out with the Jacobs family of Buffalo lurking.

If/when Boston is sold the next owner will still have to deal with Fenway Park - it has been renovated but how long can it survive?

Fenway:

All I know is one game or not, those teams are in the post season and will be with regularity. That's four of five possible spots.

The O's, Jays etc. have very little chance to consistently make an impact and even get to a one game post season situation. No matter what their front offices say. (They have to say stuff like that or they won't have any fans remaining.)

Time will tell but let's say based on the numbers over the past decade with four playoff spots on the line the odds are good the trend is going to continue into the future.

From 2000-2009 the Red and Yankees combined to take 40% out of all potential spots for that decade in the A.L. Now throw in the Angels (who had six if memory serves) and even you can do the math and understand the chances.

Lip

palehozenychicty
01-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Tampa Bay has proved that with a good baseball ops department they can at least give it a run and they have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Boston can't say that.

Baltimore simply has a bad owner. ( same can be said of Kansas City and Pittsburgh ) - Toronto certainly can not be called small market and now that the Canadian dollar is at roughly par they should do better. They have a national TV contract which is almost equal to what the Yankees have in terms of households.

Things in Boston are fluid right now. Many think this ownership group is ready to cash out. They are not local and revenue has been maxed out. Problem is who has the money to buy them? Since NESN is actually worth more than the team it could very well be Comcast and Dolan fighting it out with the Jacobs family of Buffalo lurking.

If/when Boston is sold the next owner will still have to deal with Fenway Park - it has been renovated but how long can it survive?

Exactly. If Tampa can do it with minimal resources, then anybody can build a quality team.

Toronto is close as well. An innings-eater would really pay dividends for the young arms. I think they should go after Votto too.

Fenway
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Exactly. If Tampa can do it with minimal resources, then anybody can build a quality team.

Toronto is close as well. An innings-eater would really pay dividends for the young arms. I think they should go after Votto too.

Kansas City is the tragic franchise - the last playoff game they were in was when they won the World Series in 1985.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Despite having an owner that's connected with the Wal-Mart estate and that according to Forbes is one of the richest individuals on the planet.

He could have a payroll the size of the Yankees every year with the talent to match and not break a sweat about it, but he chose not to for decades.

Lip

gobears1987
01-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Normally I would ask if you meant teal, but I have sat through enough Jenks-Baltimore meltdowns to know that teal was not implied.

I was looking it up for ****s and gigles, but his lifetime ERA vs. Baltimore is 7.02. Baltimore batters have an average OPS of .856 when facing him.