PDA

View Full Version : Fausto? More like Falso.

soltrain21
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Turns out Fausto Carmona isn't really Fausto Carmona. His real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia.

https://twitter.com/#!/Enrique_Rojas1/status/160089948387688449

He might not be able to obtain a Visa to pitch for the Indians by Opening Day.

GoGoCrede
01-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Saw the story all over Twitter. Really bizarre. Some people are saying that we should all have known "Fausto Carmona" was a fake name. Really? It never struck me as odd.

aryzner
01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
I've also read that he's supposedly 31 years old and not 28.

GoGoCrede
01-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Saw that too. Really interesting watching this one play out.

getonbckthr
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Turns out Fausto Carmona isn't really Fausto Carmona. His real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia.

https://twitter.com/#!/Enrique_Rojas1/status/160089948387688449

He might not be able to obtain a Visa to pitch for the Indians by Opening Day.

Maybe he is the illegitimate son of former Sox pitcher Roberto Hernandez....:o:

soltrain21
01-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Saw the story all over Twitter. Really bizarre. Some people are saying that we should all have known "Fausto Carmona" was a fake name. Really? It never struck me as odd.

Yeah, it's not like his name was Julius J. Thunderpuncher.

kittle42
01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I wonder when the governments of some of the countries in this world are going to advance past the Stone Age.

johnnyg83
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it's not like his name was Julius J. Thunderpuncher.

How could anyone punch thunder?

soltrain21
01-19-2012, 05:17 PM
How could anyone punch thunder?

Don't question Julius.

eriqjaffe
01-19-2012, 05:36 PM
The amazing thing is that this isn't even the first time this has happened within the last 5 months.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/09/23/sports/baseball/AP-BBN-Marlins-Nunez.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Vernam
01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Carmona, not glue?

Great plot line for Major League 3 (or 4, depending on how you count them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_II)).

Vernam

hdog1017
01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Say goodbye to Lionel Hutz. Say hello to Miguel Sanchez.

Frontman
01-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Saw that too. Really interesting watching this one play out.

He lied about his age to help Albert Pujols cover his own age.......

thomas35forever
01-20-2012, 02:51 AM
So is Jose Contreras really Jose Contreras?

Noir
01-20-2012, 04:33 AM
For the amount of crap that Roberto Hernandez Heredia (formerly Fausto Carmona) and Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly Leo Nunez) have got for falsifying their names, it exposes a bigger problem with MLB and their exploitation of Latin American players as they are not subject to the same regulations with them as they are with U.S./Canadian players. Selig needs to correct this problem before more incidents (and there WILL be more) arise.

dickallen15
01-20-2012, 06:46 AM
For the amount of crap that Roberto Hernandez Heredia (formerly Fausto Carmona) and Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly Leo Nunez) have got for falsifying their names, it exposes a bigger problem with MLB and their exploitation of Latin American players as they are not subject to the same regulations with them as they are with U.S./Canadian players. Selig needs to correct this problem before more incidents (and there WILL be more) arise.

No doubt there are probably dozens more in professional baseball right now. I take all non US born players ages with a grain of salt. I really wonder how hard they check American players ages. When I played American Legion ball back in the day, some scouts would have you fill out little cards with your information. They even kind of winked and told the older guys taking a year off your age wasn't such a bad thing.

gobears1987
01-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Say goodbye to Lionel Hutz. Say hello to Miguel Sanchez.

Ooohh. He's gonna' win.

gobears1987
01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Whenever I look at the sorry state of the White Sox, I look to Cleveland and thank G-d that I was not born a Cleveland Indians fan.

downstairs
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Carmona, not glue?

Great plot line for Major League 3 (or 4, depending on how you count them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_II)).

Vernam

Not sure what you mean by "how you count them"?

DSpivack
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Whenever I look at the sorry state of the White Sox, I look to Cleveland and thank G-d that I was not born a Cleveland Indians fan.

Or a Cleveland sports fan in general. Or just anywhere around Cleveland.

Also, is the G-d necessary? An Orthodox friend says that electronic usage doesn't "count" as writing.

kittle42
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Also, is the G-d necessary? An Orthodox friend says that electronic usage doesn't "count" as writing.

He meant General Disarray, minion of Professor Chaos.

soxfanreggie
01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I take all non US born players ages with a grain of salt.

You pretty much have to. The sad thing is that some players probably don't even know how old they are. I think some countries down there don't even issue birth certificates to a year or more after birth.

Hard to lop several years off, but I could easily see a year, possibly even two.

DSpivack
01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
He meant General Disarray, minion of Professor Chaos.

:tongue:

You pretty much have to. The sad thing is that some players probably don't even know how old they are. I think some countries down there don't even issue birth certificates to a year or more after birth.

Hard to lop several years off, but I could easily see a year, possibly even two.

Yeah, who knows when that foreigner Justin Morneau was born? Or how old Joey Votto really is? :redneck

Frontman
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Can we rephrase that? I hardly think Albert Pujols is "exploited" considering he's worth more money than some Latin American COUNTRIES are.

Now, if you mean the exploitation of the travel visa system; then yes, there is exploitation. But considering many of these players make a decent living, sometimes to the point they are set for life?

The players don't sound like they're the one's exploited.

DSpivack
01-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Can we rephrase that? I hardly think Albert Pujols is "exploited" considering he's worth more money than some Latin American COUNTRIES are.

Now, if you mean the exploitation of the travel visa system; then yes, there is exploitation. But considering many of these players make a decent living, sometimes to the point they are set for life?

The players don't sound like they're the one's exploited.

How many of those players make it, though? And how many end up formerly decent baseball players with not many other skills?

The players that Dave Wilder and his buscones used to make cash off of weren't exploited?

Frontman
01-20-2012, 05:43 PM
How many of those players make it, though? And how many end up formerly decent baseball players with not many other skills?

The players that Dave Wilder and his buscones used to make cash off of weren't exploited?

That could be said of every college kid who gets drafted by a MLB team who then doesn't get a decent education. Is that exploitation as well?

DSpivack
01-20-2012, 06:11 PM
That could be said of every college kid who gets drafted by a MLB team who then doesn't get a decent education. Is that exploitation as well?

College students theoretically are receiving an education in return for their scholarship. What are kids at the academies getting?

Frontman
01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
College students theoretically are receiving an education in return for their scholarship. What are kids at the academies getting?

I don't think I was clear on what I was trying to say. I'm talking the kids who get drafted and don't finish their education with promises of making money and being a star. Not everyone makes it, that much is certain.

My point is to that to say all Latino players are exploited isn't a fair statement, nor are they the only players who are exploited.

DSpivack
01-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think I was clear on what I was trying to say. I'm talking the kids who get drafted and don't finish their education with promises of making money and being a star. Not everyone makes it, that much is certain.

My point is to that to say all Latino players are exploited isn't a fair statement, nor are they the only players who are exploited.

Fair enough, the problems of the buscones and their ilk are mostly in the Dominican Republic, no? And there are Latino players from the US (A Rod and Manny, Pujols moved here as a teen), Mexico, Venezuela, Panama, and elsewhere. So I suppose that is painting with a bit of a broad brush.

Plus, I remember hearing so much against high school kids going pro to the NBA, where if you're a 1st-round draft pick you receive a guaranteed contract in the millions; high school baseball players are routinely drafted and receive a very small bonus in comparison.

Frontman
01-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Fair enough, the problems of the buscones and their ilk are mostly in the Dominican Republic, no? And there are Latino players from the US (A Rod and Manny, Pujols moved here as a teen), Mexico, Venezuela, Panama, and elsewhere. So I suppose that is painting with a bit of a broad brush.

Plus, I remember hearing so much against high school kids going pro to the NBA, where if you're a 1st-round draft pick you receive a guaranteed contract in the millions; high school baseball players are routinely drafted and receive a very small bonus in comparison.

I was thinking about this discussion today while driving my route, and was going to bring up the other sports as well. Anyone who saw "Hoop Dreams" knows that this isn't just a MLB problem when it comes to promising kids the dream.

I loved what Charles Barkley said on Feherty's show. "There are only 20-30 job openings in the NBA every season. To think you'll be one of those 20 is a dream. Some make it, majority don't."

01-21-2012, 10:23 PM

Thank who?

SephClone89
01-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Thank who?

General Disarray. We've discussed this.