PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox show interest in Gavin Floyd

Fenway
01-18-2012, 06:14 PM
http://www.csnne.com/blog/redsox-talk/post/Report-Sox-show-interest-in-Gavin-Floyd?blockID=633582&feedID=10430

DirtySox
01-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Blue Jays are still interested as well.

PalehosePlanet
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Gavin has always pitched well against the BoSox.

russ99
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Who do the Red Sox have in their system that would make that deal worthwhile? They cleared out their good prospects in trades the last 2 seasons.

Maybe Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, or Jacobs, but the first two have definite concerns as per defense and we have enough 1B/DH types, and Jacobs was almost as raw as Mitchell when he was drafted.

I hope Kenny doesn't settle for yet another low rated class AA pitcher... I'd hope we keep Gavin if that's the case.

DirtySox
01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Who do the Red Sox have in their system that would make that deal worthwhile?

They cleared out their good prospects in trades the last 2 seasons.

I hope Kenny doesn't settle for yet another class AA pitcher...

No. They didn't clear out all their good prospects. Good organizations are able to replenish farm systems. The Red Sox have plenty of good pieces.

Wil Middlebrooks, Garin Cecchini, Brandon Jacobs, Sean Coyle, Bryce Brentz, Brandon Workman, Anthony Ranaudo, and Alex Wilson are all names that would probably be available to some extent. Kenny probably wants more pitching though.

And settling for class AA pitchers? That's pretty damn close to the Bigs. The Sox aren't receiving any blue-chip MLB ready impact players for Gavin Floyd. It's silly that people have such expectations. A solid "B" prospect or two and a further away throw-in would be realistic.

Fenway
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
www.soxprospects.com

Who do the Red Sox have in their system that would make that deal worthwhile? They cleared out their good prospects in trades the last 2 seasons.

Maybe Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, or Jacobs, but the first two have definite concerns as per defense and we have enough 1B/DH types, and Jacobs was almost as raw as Mitchell when he was drafted.

I hope Kenny doesn't settle for yet another low rated class AA pitcher... I'd hope we keep Gavin if that's the case.

DirtySox
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
While the Red Sox have some interesting pieces, I feel the Jays match up much better in a Gavin trade. Especially since Kenny still wants pitching. Deck McGuire, Drew Hutchinson, Wojo, Nicolino, Aaron Sanchez, Jenkins, and Cardona are all potential trade options with the Jays. Paddy probably has some favorites amongst that group.

EMachine10
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
While the Red Sox have some interesting pieces, I feel the Jays match up much better in a Gavin trade. Especially since Kenny still wants pitching. Deck McGuire, Drew Hutchinson, Wojo, Nicolino, Aaron Sanchez, Jenkins, and Cardona are all potential trade options with the Jays. Paddy probably has some favorites amongst that group.

I'd love to get Deck, but I feel the Jays might be reluctant to give him up.

DirtySox
01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I'd love to get Deck, but I feel the Jays might be reluctant to give him up.

I think the opposite. He doesn't have the big upside that many of their other pitching prospects have. He'll be a middle of the rotation guy at best, and has only pitched 20 AA innings so far. It sounds like to me that they are more willing to deal him than someone like Hutchinson or Syndergaard. Who knows though?

Gammons Peter
01-18-2012, 09:16 PM
The Sox can probably get a much better haul if they wait til July

Brian26
01-18-2012, 10:29 PM
The Sox can probably get a much better haul if they wait til July

Knowing the Sox the way we do 2009-2011, they'll probably be 1 game out of first place on July 31 and according to
:hawk
"They haven't even really had a big run in them yet." Kenny will hold, and the August fold will occur. Then Gavin will get hurt in September, and Kenny will trade him for pennies on the dollar over the winter.

Domeshot17
01-19-2012, 10:31 AM
I think the opposite. He doesn't have the big upside that many of their other pitching prospects have. He'll be a middle of the rotation guy at best, and has only pitched 20 AA innings so far. It sounds like to me that they are more willing to deal him than someone like Hutchinson or Syndergaard. Who knows though?

I would not balk at all at Deck and Jenkins, though I don't know if we could land that much. I do agree on Deck, hes a high floor guy, but really, so is Gavin. Gavin is a solid 3 but nothing more.

moochpuppy
01-19-2012, 12:33 PM

I would love to see the Sox get Hutch. Another pitcher I would like to see is Henderson Alvarez.

Lip Man 1
01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Brian:

Well it is an even numbered year coming up.

2006 = winning record (90 wins)
2007 = losing record
2008 = winning record (89 wins)
2009 = losing record
2010 = winning record (88 wins)
2011 = losing record
2012 = ?????

If the 'pattern' holds they'll win 87 games this year. LOL.

Lip

Foulke You
01-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Brian:

Well it is an even numbered year coming up.

2006 = winning record (90 wins)
2007 = losing record
2008 = winning record (89 wins)
2009 = losing record
2010 = winning record (88 wins)
2011 = losing record
2012 = ?????

If the 'pattern' holds they'll win 87 games this year. LOL.

Lip
The recent vintage Sox also seem to thrive in years nobody gives them much of a chance to succeed in. 87 wins also just might be enough to win our division in 2012. A lot needs to go right but I wouldn't be as shocked as others if the Sox contend next year.

SCCWS
01-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Looks like Red Sox found another option.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/sp_bb_sox_21_01-22-12_AESQ49U_v3.23e7a34.html

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Looks like Red Sox found another option.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/sp_bb_sox_21_01-22-12_AESQ49U_v3.23e7a34.html

The Red Sox aren't the only team interested in Oswalt. Hopefully he signs elsewhere and Boston overpays for Floyd.

KMcMahon817
01-22-2012, 01:36 PM
The Red Sox aren't the only team interested in Oswalt. Hopefully he signs elsewhere and Boston overpays for Floyd.

Only for an overpay. May as well hold onto Gavin if the price isn't an absolute overpay. Assuming the Tigers don't go out and get another big time bat (wouldn't surprise me, but where is he going to play when Victor comes back), the Central is wiiiidddeeee open. Without Gavin, well...yeah.

I like to win. A mid-level pitching arm for Floyd ala the others we have gotten this offseason doesn't really excite me, nor does it really improve the SOX quasi-rebuilding. Seems as though KW went the ransom or nothing route with Danks..hope he does the same here.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Only for an overpay. May as well hold onto Gavin if the price isn't an absolute overpay. Assuming the Tigers don't go out and get another big time bat (wouldn't surprise me, but where is he going to play when Victor comes back), the Central is wiiiidddeeee open. Without Gavin, well...yeah.

Meh.

We obviously don't agree. I don't think the division is anywhere close to wide open. The Tigers are still the overwhelming favorite to win the division. Especially if they simply get replacement level production out of the DH spot. Everything is going to have to go right for the Sox to contend and I just don't see it. Sale, Dayan, De Aza, Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Beckham, and Morel. All significant question marks. Some of them just plain awful last year.

I'd just prefer Kenny prepare for the future, by dealing the few worthwhile assets he has. Staying in between by trying to rebuild and contend at the same time generally doesn't work. The result is often a lack of success in both.

KMcMahon817
01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Meh.

We obviously don't agree. I don't think the division is anywhere close to wide open. The Tigers are still the overwhelming favorite to win the division. Especially if they simply get replacement level production out of the DH spot. Everything is going to have to go right for the Sox to contend and I just don't see it. Sale, Dayan, De Aza, Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Beckham, and Morel. All significant question marks. Some of them just plain awful last year.

I'd just prefer Kenny prepare for the future, by dealing the few worthwhile assets he has. Staying in between by trying to rebuild and contend at the same time generally doesn't work. The result is often a lack of success in in both goals.

I know what you're saying, I just don't think it will make much of a difference in the long run. Adding another starter with a mid-rotation ceiling really doesn't do much in preparing the SOX for the future. Now if KW can coerce someone into giving up that mid-rotation prospect, and another couple very intriguing prospects, I am much more interested.

A lot of things need to go right for the SOX in 2012, no doubt. But probably less things need to go right, as opposed to all the things that went wrong in 2011. Moving Gavin for some B level prospect likely takes away any chance of competing in 2012. And what do you gain...a guy that if everything goes right, is well maybe as good as Gavin.

I think losing VMART is a big blow for the Tigers. I liked the idea of them adding Pena, mainly because they could have done so on a one year deal, and then they don't have three DH/1B types in 2013. But he's off the table now. There are some other interesting possibilities, but most of those create problems in the future. I am not as sold on the Tigers as you seem to be. And after them...the Twins are going to suck. The Royals could be decent, maybe even above .500..but no world beaters. And I definitely don't see the Indians improving on their 2011.

I like to win. I don't love moving proven pieces on a gamble. I'd rather gamble on 2012, than gamble on a Deck McGuire becoming Gavin Floyd 2.0 in 2015. That's just me.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
I know what you're saying, I just don't think it will make much of a difference in the long run. Adding another starter with a mid-rotation ceiling really doesn't do much in preparing the SOX for the future. Now if KW can coerce someone into giving up that mid-rotation prospect, and another couple very intriguing prospects, I am much more interested.

A lot of things need to go right for the SOX in 2012, no doubt. But probably less things need to go right, as opposed to all the things that went wrong in 2011. Moving Gavin for some B level prospect likely takes away any chance of competing in 2012. And what do you gain...a guy that if everything goes right, is well maybe as good as Gavin.

I think losing VMART is a big blow for the Tigers. I liked the idea of them adding Pena, mainly because they could have done so on a one year deal, and then they don't have three DH/1B types in 2013. But he's off the table now. There are some other interesting possibilities, but most of those create problems in the future. I am not as sold on the Tigers as you seem to be. And after them...the Twins are going to suck. The Royals could be decent, maybe even above .500..but no world beaters. And I definitely don't see the Indians improving on their 2011.

I like to win. I don't love moving proven pieces on a gamble. I'd rather gamble on 2012, than gamble on a Deck McGuire becoming Gavin Floyd 2.0 in 2015. That's just me.

We clearly disagree on some major issues. I'm just afraid Kenny is delaying the inevitable. This hope we can kinda contend every season hasn't been working. It's quite maddening to me. I'd prefer Kenny attempt to set up the organization for sustained success, and it's not going to happen with his past approach to drafting and player development. The playing field is leveled somewhat now with the CBA change, but I want Kenny bolstering his weaknesses the next few seasons while the worthless overpaid dreck on the roster starts to fall off. I'd like to see Kenny with a fresh start, no awful contracts, and plenty of legitimate pieces to become foundations of the roster, or to be traded for other fixtures. In order to get there, if the next two seasons or more are junk, so be it.

KMcMahon817
01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
We clearly disagree on some major issues. I'm just afraid Kenny is delaying the inevitable. This hope we can kinda contend every season hasn't been working. It's quite maddening to me. I'd prefer Kenny attempt to set up the organization for sustained success, and it's not going to happen with his past approach to drafting and player development. The playing field is leveled somewhat now with the CBA change, but I want Kenny bolstering his weaknesses the next few seasons while the worthless overpaid dreck on the roster starts to fall off. I'd like to see Kenny with a fresh start, no awful contracts, and plenty of legitimate pieces to become foundations of the roster, or to be traded for other fixtures. In order to get there, if the next two seasons or more are junk, so be it.

Fair enough. But most of those things can happen without trading Gavin. It hardly improves the rebuilding process...unless of course someone vastly overpays.

The SOX do need to spend more on drafting and player development. I don't think any SOX fan would disagree with that. If that means spending less on the ML roster, so be it.

But these changes you speak of are much more indicative a major sell-off and rebuilding. I know that is what you, and some others want, but it just doesn't look like that is going to happen.

If that is the way the SOX are going to go then they should have moved Danks, and they should be looking to move any veteran of value. That includes Konerko, Alexei, Thornton, Crain. Hell, send some cash in the deal if it improves the return. It is essentially a sunk cost anyway.

I totally get what you're saying and what you want. But if that is KW's plan, then he did exactly the half-assed job that your post suggest. It is sort of semi-rebuilding and semi-retooling. If you're going to rebuild, then ****ing rebuild. If you're not, then hold onto Gavin and let's roll the dice on 2012. Trading Gavin if we are not the clear winners in the deal makes no sense to me at this point.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Fair enough. But most of those things can happen without trading Gavin. It hardly improves the rebuilding process...unless of course someone vastly overpays.

The SOX do need to spend more on drafting and player development. I don't think any SOX fan would disagree with that. If that means spending less on the ML roster, so be it.

But these changes you speak of are much more indicative a major sell-off and rebuilding. I know that is what you, and some others want, but it just doesn't look like that is going to happen.

If that is the way the SOX are going to go then they should have moved Danks, and they should be looking to move any veteran of value. That includes Konerko, Alexei, Thornton, Crain. Hell, send some cash in the deal if it improves the return. It is essentially a sunk cost anyway.

I totally get what you're saying and what you want. But if that is KW's plan, then he did exactly the half-assed job that your post suggest. It is sort of semi-rebuilding and semi-retooling. If you're going to rebuild, then ****ing rebuild. If you're not, then hold onto Gavin and let's roll the dice on 2012. Trading Gavin if we are not the clear winners in the deal makes no sense to me at this point.

Trading Gavin for a solid "B" prospect plus more does help the rebuild. The farm is bereft of talent. The only worthwhile prospects at this point in the system is a reliever in Addison Reed, and Nestor Molina. They need so much more. Especially in the pitching department. And as far as trading Gavin Floyd for a pitcher that could become Gavin Floyd, it's indeed a risk. But one that could pay in spades in years of team control and in cost. Hopefully Kenny would get more than just a Deck McGuire in a theoretical Jays trade.

Trading Gavin would also assuredly lead to a better draft pick as well. Picking in the top 5 versus the top 15 potentially is a big deal. At the same time the Sox will be able to get some seasoning and see what they have in players like Dylan Axelrod or Zach Stewart.

It's clear we fundamentally disagree on the approach, but I don't have much faith in the team in the near future. I just want to see the organization in a position to get back on track in 2014 or 2015. Best positioned with a stable of solid starting pitching prospects and position players. Players that can be plugged in, or traded for other assets (see Latos/Gio trade), all while complementing the ability to spend a decent amount in free agency.

If Kenny isn't getting anything close to worth for Gavin or other players he's considering trading that's fine. I just hope he isn't hesitant to sell if the Sox aren't close at the trade deadline.

KMcMahon817
01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
The only worthwhile prospects at this point in the system is a reliever in Addison Reed, and Nestor Molina. They need so much more. Especially in the pitching department.

If Kenny isn't getting anything close to worth for Gavin or other players he's considering trading that's fine. I just hope he isn't hesitant to sell if the Sox aren't close at the trade deadline.

I am aware of the farm system.

And I couldn't agree more on selling at the deadline if the SOX were to hold onto Gavin.

sox1970
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
My quick take:

Play it out until the AS Break, and then re-evaluate. I'd rather not give up pitching now, and then regret it in May if somehow the offense ends up good.

If the Sox are a bad team in July, chances are there will be plenty of teams after Danks and Floyd and Thornton then too. I don't necessarily think they'll get a lot more for them now.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 03:15 PM
My quick take:

Play it out until the AS Break, and then re-evaluate. I'd rather not give up pitching now, and then regret it in May if somehow the offense ends up good.

If the Sox are a bad team in July, chances are there will be plenty of teams after Danks and Floyd and Thornton then too. I don't necessarily think they'll get a lot more for them now.

I'm okay with that. Though Danks can't be traded this season.

SCCWS
01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Meh.

I'd just prefer Kenny prepare for the future, by dealing the few worthwhile assets he has. Staying in between by trying to rebuild and contend at the same time generally doesn't work. The result is often a lack of success in both.

Cleveland has tried the rebuilding approach twice this decade w little success. Remember the Cleveland poster on this site back a while ago w the footer "these kids can really play". Now those kids are the trade bait for another rebuild. Boston papers said earlier in week that Floyd was a 4/5 option and wouldn't cost much. I think Sox are better holding and wait till some team is really desperate.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Cleveland has tried the rebuilding approach twice this decade w little success. Remember the Cleveland poster on this site back a while ago w the footer "these kids can really play". Now those kids are the trade bait for another rebuild. Boston papers said earlier in week that Floyd was a 4/5 option and wouldn't cost much. I think Sox are better holding and wait till some team is really desperate.

The Indians are in line for another rebuild? The same Cleveland team that finished better than the 2011 Sox? The team that traded off two of their top rebuilding prospects in a win now move for Ubaldo Jimenez? Not so much.

The Sox are in a dire need of a new approach. While a full blown rebuild might not be necessary, especially in a big market, trading off some assets that won't be under team control by the time this organization is contending again would be a good idea. If the market isn't there now, fine. Wait until the deadline.

Foulke You
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM

I share your outlook on 2012 for the Sox. There definitely is a divide here on WSI between the camp of people that think we are light years from contending and those like us that feel the division is very winnable with our current roster. I tend to be in the same camp as you and feel that KW should take a "wait and see" approach with Gavin Floyd. I agree that a lot needs to go right for the Sox this year, however, one can take a look at the Tigers and say that they have some questions as well heading into 2012:

1) Can Verlander come close to winning 24 games again? Will his arm show any signs of wear given the amount of innings he has thrown?
2) Can their lineup absorb the loss of the 100+ RBI production of Victor Martinez?
3) Which Delmon Young will show up in 2012? The stud hitter from the last month of the season or the stiff that was in Minnesota most of 2011?
4) Jose Valverde walked a tight rope in 2011 and didn't blow any saves. Is it likely that he repeats this performance?
5) Is Boesch healthy and recovered?
6) Do they have anyone who can play 2B?
7) Do the Tigers have enough starting rotation depth especially if Verlander misses any time with an injury?
8) How will Octavio Dotel and his straight fastball handle life in the AL again?

I realize you can make a similar list of quesitons with the Sox. However, to assume the Tigers are a lock to win the Central would be a mistake. The Indians will likely be similar to last year, the Twins look terrible on paper, and the Royals still have a suspect pitching staff. I just don't think we should give up Gavin Floyd right now until we have a better idea how our division is going to shake out. It might only take 85-90 wins to do it.

palehozenychicty
01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I share your outlook on 2012 for the Sox. There definitely is a divide here on WSI between the camp of people that think we are light years from contending and those like us that feel the division is very winnable with our current roster. I tend to be in the same camp as you and feel that KW should take a "wait and see" approach with Gavin Floyd. I agree that a lot needs to go right for the Sox this year, however, one can take a look at the Tigers and say that they have some questions as well heading into 2012:

1) Can Verlander come close to winning 24 games again? Will his arm show any signs of wear given the amount of innings he has thrown?
2) Can their lineup absorb the loss of the 100+ RBI production of Victor Martinez?
3) Which Delmon Young will show up in 2012? The stud hitter from the last month of the season or the stiff that was in Minnesota most of 2011?
4) Jose Valverde walked a tight rope in 2011 and didn't blow any saves. Is it likely that he repeats this performance?
5) Is Boesch healthy and recovered?
6) Do they have anyone who can play 2B?
7) Do the Tigers have enough starting rotation depth especially if Verlander misses any time with an injury?
8) How will Octavio Dotel and his straight fastball handle life in the AL again?

I realize you can make a similar list of quesitons with the Sox. However, to assume the Tigers are a lock to win the Central would be a mistake. The Indians will likely be similar to last year, the Twins look terrible on paper, and the Royals still have a suspect pitching staff. I just don't think we should give up Gavin Floyd right now until we have a better idea how our division is going to shake out. It might only take 85-90 wins to do it.

This is why competing in the AL Central is such a vicious cycle. You really don't have to put a great team on the diamond to win this division. But you need a talented team who executes at the right time to win it all. Series matchups are huge too. If the Phillies don't knock out the Braves, the Cards don't even compete for the title, much less win it. Recent AL Central playoff teams, other than the Sox, seemed to lack the depth of talent necessary to win those late postseason games.

The Sox could win this division if all breaks right. I don't think they have enough talent to win it all as constructed, even if they win a division. If I'm wrong, I'll eat it and jump for joy.

I want another one before the Cubs even think they can do it. :gulp:

palehozenychicty
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
As for Gavin Floyd, we wring our hands over his inconsistency. But that's always been his trademark as a professional.

He's very valuable on a contender, due to his salary and durability. If he's moved, a position player or two with strong upside must be gained.

DirtySox
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
So it sounds like Oswalt might not want to sign with Boston, and they have moved on to Edwin Jackson who still might not fit within the luxury tax threshold. Gordon Edes notes that Gavin Floyd is still in play, and that Kenny is seeking a number of prospects, not necessarily top prospects, but at least one with upside.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7504049/boston-red-sox-eyeing-starters-edwin-jackson-roy-oswalt-gavin-floyd-et-al-strengthen-rotation

Tragg
01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Kenny is seeking a number of prospects, not necessarily top prospects, but at least one with upside.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7504049/boston-red-sox-eyeing-starters-edwin-jackson-roy-oswalt-gavin-floyd-et-al-strengthen-rotation
So this is essentially 1 B level prospect. What good are prospects with a low ceiling?
So much for the notion that we were holding out for a big ransom.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 01:11 AM
GordonEdes Gordon Edes
Oswalt headed ro the Cardinals, source says.
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

If Edwin doesn't take a 1 year deal with Boston, Gavin might be the target next.

PalehosePlanet
01-28-2012, 01:29 AM
GordonEdes Gordon Edes
Oswalt headed ro the Cardinals, source says.
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

If Edwin doesn't take a 1 year deal with Boston, Gavin might be the target next.

There is no way Edwin is taking 1/5 from Boston when the O's will seemingly give 30/45 million for 3 or 4 years. I can't see him trying to build his value on a one year deal in the AL East where he'll likely get knocked around.

Note: The O's numbers are just a guess on my part.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 01:33 AM
There is no way Edwin is taking 1/5 from Boston when the O's will seemingly give 30/45 million for 3 or 4 years. I can't see him trying to build his value on a one year deal in the AL East where he'll likely get knocked around.

Note: The O's numbers are just a guess on my part.

I would agree.

I'd be fine with Kenny trading Gavin for a package of say Ranaudo + Workman, or Workman + Jacobs. Maybe with another decent throw-in. Hard to gauge trade value, but I think Kenny should be able to at least acquire 2 "B" prospects from Boston. I'd think most prospects would be on the table save for Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, or Lavarnway (who probably isn't a catcher long term anyway).

PalehosePlanet
01-28-2012, 01:55 AM
I would agree.

I'd be fine with Kenny trading Gavin for a package of say Ranaudo + Workman, or Workman + Jacobs. Maybe with another decent throw-in. Hard to gauge trade value, but I think Kenny should be able to at least acquire 2 "B" prospects from Boston. I'd think most prospects would be on the table save for Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, or Lavarnway (who probably isn't a catcher long term anyway).

Middlebrooks would be my first choice, but I'd take a shot on Ranaudo and Workman --- seems like a fair trade. Do you know, off the top of your head, if scouts think Ranaudo would be ready for AA this year?

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Middlebrooks would be my first choice, but I'd take a shot on Ranaudo and Workman --- seems like a fair trade. Do you know, off the top of your head, if scouts think Ranaudo would be ready for AA this year?

I'm unsure. Ranaudo certainly is age appropriate for AA so it's feasible. He struggled a bit once he reached A+ as one could see. A pitcher with his pedigree and "stuff" should be dominating in A ball. From what I gather he's been rather inconsistent. He has the stuff and shows the potential, but has trouble putting it all together. Sickels noted in his 2012 rankings (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/13/2633672/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2012) "Jekyll-Hyde season, both statistically and scout-wise, with large variations in quality of both stuff and command from start to start making it hard to get a proper read on him."

PalehosePlanet
01-28-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm unsure. Ranaudo certainly is age appropriate for AA so it's feasible. He struggled a bit once he reached A+ as one could see. A pitcher with his pedigree and "stuff" should be dominating in A ball. From what I gather he's been rather inconsistent. He has the stuff and shows the potential, but has trouble putting it all together. Sickels noted in his 2012 rankings (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/13/2633672/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2012) "Jekyll-Hyde season, both statistically and scout-wise, with large variations in quality of both stuff and command from start to start making it hard to get a proper read on him."

Yeah, I just noticed his numbers at high A after the promotion and it seemed his command suffered a bit.

Oh well, I guess it's his inconsistency thus far would be the reason he would be available in a trade. Had he kicked ass, he'd be untouchable.

I'd take the chance on him based on his upside.

Also, Gavin makes 7 mil this year, which still puts Boston slightly above the lux tax mark they're trying to avoid. They might need to send someone back to us who makes 2 mil or so on their regular roster.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I just noticed his numbers at high A after the promotion and it seemed his command suffered a bit.

Oh well, I guess it's his inconsistency thus far would be the reason he would be available in a trade. Had he kicked ass, he'd be untouchable.

I'd take the chance on him based on his upside.

Also, Gavin makes 7 mil this year, which still puts Boston slightly above the lux tax mark they're trying to avoid. They might need to send someone back to us who makes 2 mil or so on their regular roster.

The luxury tax only takes into account the average annual value of the contract, so Gavin's hit comes to something like $3.75 million.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Edes says the Red Sox will indeed re-engage the White Sox about a Floyd trade.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7512382/source-roy-oswalt-likely-sign-st-louis-cardinals-soon

SCCWS
01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Lets hope it is not the Miller/Bowden package as I saw in one report last week. Both are still on Boston's 40 man but Miller is a ML retread and Bowden is a AAA retread. That is the same Bowden Kenny didn't want in the Buehrle talks 4 years ago