PDA

View Full Version : Konerko question

chicagowhitesox1
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Is Paul Konerko still the captain of the Sox and is it a official title? Also does he wear a patch on his uniform showing he is captain I saw on another site that theres only two teams which have official captains the Redsox (Varitek) and Yankees (Jeter). Thats why I was curious about Konerko.

Frontman
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Ozzie named Paul the team's captain back in 2006. Paul never wanted a "C" or anything else on his uniform considering he really didn't want to be considered a team "captain."

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-18-2012, 03:37 AM
He's pretty much the captain insofar as seniority goes now. However, he doesn't really think of himself as one, and wears nothing to signify the title. He may not even be "captain" anymore, since Ozzie is no longer the manager.

Long answer short, yes, but no.

SephClone89
01-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Before the Cubs traded Lee he was alao their captain. There were only four in baseball. Varitek is the only won who's worn the hockey-style "C" on hia uniform, but he's probably not even a Red Sox next year anyway.

IMHO the "C" looked really stupid anyway.

thomas35forever
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Before the Cubs traded Lee he was alao their captain. There were only four in baseball. Varitek is the only won who's worn the hockey-style "C" on hia uniform, but he's probably not even a Red Sox next year anyway.

IMHO the "C" looked really stupid anyway.
Mike Sweeney also worse the "C" when he was with the Royals and Sosa had it after his 66-home run season with the Cubs. Yes, the "C" may be worn, but as has been pointed out already, captains rarely elect to wear it.

HomeFish
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think it has any official meaning in baseball: he doesn't get any extra powers, like the power to call a coin toss. It's just a nice gesture.

TheOldRoman
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Mike Sweeney also worse the "C" when he was with the Royals and Sosa had it after his 66-home run season with the Cubs. Yes, the "C" may be worn, but as has been pointed out already, captains rarely elect to wear it.Barry Larkin also wore a red C in the style of their cap logo for a few years in Cincy.