PDA

View Full Version : BP's White Sox Top Eleven

DirtySox
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
System in 20 Words or Less: Two words: Not good.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15761

Worth noting, 12-20 are not necessarily Two Star Prospects, Goldstein does not assign stars after #11.

DirtySox
01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
System's suckitude aside, I'm real excited to watch Reed next year. He's going to be ****ing good. I have little doubt he will be the Sox closer the next 5+ years.

Comments on the list. Surprised Santiago isn't on it. I'd have Axelrod higher. I'd also have Saladino much higher. Interesting that Jaye made it. Like I said at the time of the trade, intriguing pickup. Very projectable, but far away.

DonnieDarko
01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
What's the low-down on Trayce Thompson?

DirtySox
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
What's the low-down on Trayce Thompson?

Toolsy OF with huge power and strikeout problems. Pitch recognition is an issue. High upside, but very risky. I like him.

DonnieDarko
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
How old is he? What's his projection time to The Show? Hell, what kind of player does he project to be? Corner OF? CF? Utility OF?

DirtySox
01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
How old is he? What's his projection time to The Show? Hell, what kind of player does he project to be? Corner OF? CF? Utility OF?

CF or a corner OF spot if he grows out of the position. He's 20. 21 upon the start of next season. At least two more years probably three, but he's obviously not even close to a sure thing. Can read about many of these players here (http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/12/13/2503194/top-10-white-sox-prospects-for-2012). Larry does fine work.

Hitmen77
01-18-2012, 08:29 AM
What happened to Jared Mitchell? Is he another KW first round bust?

SephClone89
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

He's really struggled in his recovery from injury.

Which is Kenny's fault, of course.

doublem23
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

That or he had a horrendous ankle injury.

asindc
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM

It should have been anticipated.

DirtySox
01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Also he was/is extremely raw for a college player. His bust chance was/is pretty decent despite the injury.

Hitmen77
01-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Fair enough. I forgot that he was the same prospect that had that ankle injury in spring training. I'm certainly not blaming anyone for that.

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Even before the injury I recall some scout saying that "As a baseball player he makes for a pretty good wide receiver." He had a long way to go before he was going to be a good baseball player.

doublem23
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Even before the injury I recall some scout saying that "As a baseball player he makes for a pretty good wide receiver." He had a long way to go before he was going to be a good baseball player.

These were probably the same scouts that told us all the Gordon Beckham was a can't miss prospect, so we all know they're never wrong!

DirtySox
01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Yep. Mitchell is a typical tools player. If he put it together he has all-star potential. A risky player, but one with a potential fantastic ceiling. This isn't atypical. Some of these players make it, some of them bust in A-ball because they couldn't translate tools into skills.

There was nothing wrong with the Mitchell pick at the time.

cards press box
01-22-2012, 12:55 PM
If the Sox added Yoenis Cespedes or Jorge Soler, I wonder where they would rank on BP's Top 11 list? By the way, I am starting to think that the Sox are more likely to pursue Soler than Cespedes. If the Sox did sign Soler, they might still need to add a major league outfielder for this season. No one has mentioned Kouske Fukodome but he does hit left handed and would give the Sox another option in CF and RF.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
If the Sox added Yoenis Cespedes or Jorge Soler, I wonder where they would rank on BP's Top 11 list? By the way, I am starting to think that the Sox are more likely to pursue Soler than Cespedes. If the Sox did sign Soler, they might still need to add a major league outfielder for this season. No one has mentioned Kouske Fukodome but he does hit left handed and would give the Sox another option in CF and RF.

Either player if signed would absolutely be ranked number 1 in the system. It says plenty when your consensus top prospect is a reliever, no matter how good he might be.

DirtySox
01-22-2012, 03:01 PM

I don't think the Sox will be adding any veteran starters. They are going to see what they have in De Aza, with Rios and Dayan in the remaining spots.

I also agree with you on Soler, and posted about it in the past. He won't be as expensive as Cespedes and is further away, but the tools are great and he has fantastic ceiling. He will be a corner OF though when all is said and done.

#1swisher
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Trayce Thompsons' off season workouts at a San Juan Capistrano complex, run by Craig Grebeck has him training along with Skip Schumaker, Mark McGwire and Allen Craig.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120106&content_id=26278354&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&partnerId=rss_cws&tcid=tw_share

EMachine10
01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Trayce Thompsons' off season workouts at a San Juan Capistrano complex, run by Craig Grebeck has him training along with Skip Schumaker, Mark McGwire and Allen Craig.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120106&content_id=26278354&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&partnerId=rss_cws&tcid=tw_share
Looking forward to what he does in Winston-Salem this year. Hope those K's come down a little, but I doubt it with the promotion.