PDA

View Full Version : Could Dunn hit 60 homers this year?

thomas35forever
01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Thome thinks it's possible, but at this point, I'm hoping he just reaches 25.
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/sox-drawer/post/Thome-has-confidence-Dunn-will-rebound?blockID=631796&feedID=665

soltrain21
01-15-2012, 05:56 PM
I think he returns back to the career norm and hits around 35.

Lip Man 1
01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
While it would be an incredible experience and send a jolt through the organization and fan base, I think the chances of him hitting 60 home runs is about as good as seeing pigs fly.

Lip

Brian26
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Its remarkable to watch Thome conduct himself with so much class after essentially being pushed out of the organization.

Ironically, the clowns responsible for his exit decided to leave on their own terms two years later and have been the antithesis of Thome's actions. Just an observation.

As for Dunn hitting 60, that would be a miracle.

34rancher
01-15-2012, 07:14 PM
I think he returns back to the career norm and hits around 35.

And his career norm of his team being in last place...

Are people sure that they didn't misinterpret Thome? Did he mean 60 hits? I mean the guy finished with less rbis than JP and 112 less hits than Juan. Let's worry if he can hit lefties better than Pedro Cerrano can hit curve balls. What a waste of payroll and at bats.

Adam Dunn: 11 seasons, 0 playoff appearances, 11 teams with losing records.

AZChiSoxFan
01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/sox-drawer/post/Thome-has-confidence-Dunn-will-rebound?blockID=631796&feedID=665

60???? You mean in batting practice?

WhiteSox5187
01-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I could see him hitting 30 or maybe even 40 but if he hits above .215 I'd be stunned.

SephClone89
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM

So? Who the hell cares? Be pissed with Dunn because of his 2011, not because of how his teams have performed during a career in which he has been pretty damn good.

Red Barchetta
01-15-2012, 08:27 PM
He sure could! And I could be named as the 5th starter! :tongue:

doublem23
01-15-2012, 08:27 PM
So? Who the hell cares? Be pissed with Dunn because of his 2011, not because of how his teams have performed during a career in which he has been pretty damn good.

This concept is too hard for some people to grasp, since Adam Dunn covers 1/9th of the field and hits 1/9th of the time, obviously his team's failing are solely his, and only his, fault.

Just like that Roy Halladay, who never once led the Blue Jays to play-offs in his 12 seasons there, he obviously sucked, until he joined a good team and then magically got good, right?

tstrike2000
01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
No. Spring training isn't for another month and talking about Adam Dunn is almost already tiresome.

TommyJohn
01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
While it would be an incredible experience and send a jolt through the organization and fan base, I think the chances of him hitting 60 home runs is about as good as seeing pigs fly.

Lip

I don't see that happening in this day and age. Any guy hitting 60 home runs now will be disdained as a roider and his feat would be pretty much ignored.

For Dunn in particular, the Chicago media mantra would be "we won't be fooled again!" and the blogger mantra would be "this team is always cheating. Remember the Black Sox scandal, like, a hundred years ago, bro? Well, I do. Nearly destroyed my faith in the game."

Boondock Saint
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm sure that has everything to do with him and not the fact that he's spent his career playing for the Reds, Nats and D-Backs.

Noneck
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Considering that only 2 men that were not juiced ever accomplished this feat, this is highly unlikely.

34rancher
01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm sure that has everything to do with him and not the fact that he's spent his career playing for the Reds, Nats and D-Backs.

All that says is that we are in bad company of teams that actually want him.

Maybe the winning teams don't want him...

Dick Allen
01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
He'll hit 60 in a phone booth.

SephClone89
01-15-2012, 10:11 PM

That still doesn't make any sense.

But I'll humor you--anyone remember what other teams were interested in Dunn last year?

Tragg
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
I say 60 if we move the fences to 20 feet behind the infield dirt.

HomeFish
01-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Its remarkable to watch Thome conduct himself with so much class after essentially being pushed out of the organization.

Perhaps Thome doesn't see it that way?

voodoochile
01-16-2012, 02:17 AM

Damn them goal posts moved fast...

Bucky F. Dent
01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
I just hope he hits over .200!

SI1020
01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
It doesn't matter who wanted him. The Sox got him and it turned out to be a monumental mistake. Now I'm supposed to get excited about he and Rios returning to form and leading the team to the promised land. The game has turned a page and one dimensional sluggers like Dunn (used to be) are no longer in vogue.

soxfanatlanta
01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I cannot see how Thome thinks he and Dunn are similar; Dunn's bat speed is nowhere as fast.

I like the vote of confidence, but let's see what kind of shape he in in come next month.

slavko
01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
He didn't seem that bad before the appendix went out on him. (small sample, I know) I don't think a return to that form is out of the question. Still not worth the money. HR power always is. Got to get his body right and his head on straight. Get fit like Thome did with the Twins.

A case of having too much money to spend (All In) and spending it unwisely. Wish JR hadn't gotten soft in his old age.

Frontman
01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
In actuality, he has every chance to do so. However, I'd be happy with him just being a contributing member of a competitive team.

I'm not going to write him off for this season yet.

kufram
01-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Ironically, the clowns responsible for his exit decided to leave on their own terms two years later and have been the antithesis of Thome's actions. Just an observation.

As for Dunn hitting 60, that would be a miracle.

Jim Thome is a class act, no doubt. But I also think he understands baseball a little better than those of us that look at it from the outside. Of course he was using the number 60 simply to make a point. But why should any of us believe that Dunn can make a comeback?

Surely we are in a better position to make a judgement on Adam Dunn's 2012 in January than the likes of Jim Thome!

downstairs
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Off a tee? Sure.

Noneck
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
In actuality, he has every chance to do so.

In actuality he has a very very minuscule chance to hit 60.

Bobby Thigpen
01-16-2012, 03:14 PM
He didn't seem that bad before the appendix went out on him. (small sample, I know) I don't think a return to that form is out of the question. Still not worth the money. HR power always is. Got to get his body right and his head on straight. Get fit like Thome did with the Twins.

A case of having too much money to spend (All In) and spending it unwisely. Wish JR hadn't gotten soft in his old age.
What?

When exactly was Thome not fit?

Frontman
01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
What?

When exactly was Thome not fit?

I second that question. Thome's always been big; but I would of never said he was out of shape any time he put on a White Sox uniform.

And as far as my comment of "every chance," my point is that the season has yet to be played. Anything can happen. When guys like Jose Bautista can go from hitting 13 home runs to hitting 54?

Anything is possible.

spawn
01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Damn them goal posts moved fast...
He did move them pretty quickly, didn't he?

As for the original question...could he? Sure. Will he? No. As others have said, I'll be happy if he gets back to his career norms.

Frontman
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Considering that only 2 men that were not juiced ever accomplished this feat, this is highly unlikely.

I'm not convinced on the two who weren't WERE clean. Thank you Bud for making that issue now a big helping pile of second guessing!!!

Noneck
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not convinced on the two who weren't WERE clean.

Maris and Ruth werent clean? Ok:rolleyes:

Frontman
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM

D'oh! Forgot about previous era players. I was thinking about those who are supposed "clean" players, as in never failing a drug test in the modern era.

Egg on the face after that one! :redface:

hi im skot
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
But why should any of us believe that Dunn can make a comeback?

I dunno, career norms?

Frontman
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I dunno, career norms?

Shhhh. Don't bring facts to a "I hate Dunn" fest.

gosox41
01-16-2012, 10:47 PM

No

kufram
01-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Jim Thome is a class act, no doubt. But I also think he understands baseball a little better than those of us that look at it from the outside. Of course he was using the number 60 simply to make a point. But why should any of us believe that Dunn can make a comeback?

Surely we are in a better position to make a judgement on Adam Dunn's 2012 in January than the likes of Jim Thome!

I dunno, career norms?

Yeah, I should have tealed that line. I see no reason why Dunn won't return to something near his career averages, but I do think it could depend on a decent start. The point I was trying to make was that Jim Thome, although I've never heard of him saying a bad word about anyone, knows a little more about Dunn's situation that those people already prejudging the year he will have.

Foulke You
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I see no reason why Dunn won't return to something near his career averages, but I do think it could depend on a decent start.
I completely agree with this statement. A good start for Dunn is extremely important for his success in 2012. If he starts off the first two weeks of the season with a whiff fest and no power numbers, he could slip back into that bad mental state from 2011 in a hurry. Heck, if he goes 0 for 4 with 3 Ks in front of a sold out Opening Day crowd, he is going to hear the boo birds. However, if he starts out hot...he can put 2011 in the rear view mirror and turn it into a speed bump in what otherwise has been a solid career.

Robin Ventura also has an interesting decision to make this Spring. Where do you bat Adam Dunn in the lineup? Do you put him 4th or 5th based on his previous career success or do you bat him 7th or 8th based upon last year's dismal showing?

Frontman
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Robin Ventura also has an interesting decision to make this Spring. Where do you bat Adam Dunn in the lineup? Do you put him 4th or 5th based on his previous career success or do you bat him 7th or 8th based upon last year's dismal showing?

Split the difference and have him bat 6th.......

kufram
01-18-2012, 06:33 AM
I completely agree with this statement. A good start for Dunn is extremely important for his success in 2012. If he starts off the first two weeks of the season with a whiff fest and no power numbers, he could slip back into that bad mental state from 2011 in a hurry. Heck, if he goes 0 for 4 with 3 Ks in front of a sold out Opening Day crowd, he is going to hear the boo birds. However, if he starts out hot...he can put 2011 in the rear view mirror and turn it into a speed bump in what otherwise has been a solid career.

Dunn is not my favourite kind of player but we have him and it is in no one's interest for him to fail, so the best thing if to give him everything possible to help him succeed. I, personally, think that means showing complete confidence in him from day 1. If he fails to perform after a period of time then a decision has to be made but, if it is me, I put him in where he is supposed to bat with his record.

Maybe all those bad days last year will have at least got him acquainted with the DH position which Thome, a man who would know, says is very different from position playing.

russ99
01-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I think this is the wrong question.

If Dunn hits 60 homers this year, it implies either he hits homers at a rate far exceeding even his best HR/AB percentages, and that he can squarely hit the ball at a vastly better rate than he's shown in a Sox uniform.

To me, a good year in 2012 for Dunn would be if he gets on base at his usual > .375 clip, keeps his Ks at a (pre 2011) career-average level, hits at least 40-50 points over the Mendoza line, scores his usual 80-100 runs and most importantly drives in runs, especially in clutch situations.

If that goes along with 30 HRs or 50+ HRs, it doesn't matter. Fireworks don't win games, runs do.

34rancher
01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Now I'm supposed to get excited about he and Rios returning to form and leading the team to the promised land. The game has turned a page and one dimensional sluggers like Dunn (used to be) are no longer in vogue.

I think given Dunn's age and his season last year, there are several questions about him that the Sox should be asking. Did he learn yet? Is getting off his Big Donkey behind and working out for the first time in his career during an offseason? Is he going to be in shape or is he still lazy? Has he worked on shortening his swing vs. lefty hitters to make contact and have more than 6 hits against them? I hope so. I know there is usually a fluff piece about which player on which team has lost 20 lbs or worked out. That fluff piece better be about him this year. I hope he has figured it out.

kufram
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I think given Dunn's age and his season last year, there are several questions about him that the Sox should be asking. Did he learn yet? Is getting off his Big Donkey behind and working out for the first time in his career during an offseason? Is he going to be in shape or is he still lazy? Has he worked on shortening his swing vs. lefty hitters to make contact and have more than 6 hits against them? I hope so. I know there is usually a fluff piece about which player on which team has lost 20 lbs or worked out. That fluff piece better be about him this year. I hope he has figured it out.

My point is that Jim Thome, a man who should know, doesn't say any of that. But then, maybe you know more about the subject than he does. You obviously think you do. I'll take the lazy Adam Dunn that hits his career norms.

SI1020
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I dunno, career norms? Dunn had a season so bad as to be mind boggling. He looked beyond inept to the point that one would seriously have to consider that he just flat out lost it. So he's welcome to come back to his career norms, but I don't see fit to be optimistic. If he had a "bad" year maybe, but that wasn't bad it was horrifying.

JB98
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Dunn had a season so bad as to be mind boggling. He looked beyond inept to the point that one would seriously have to consider that he just flat out lost it. So he's welcome to come back to his career norms, but I don't see fit to be optimistic. If he had a "bad" year maybe, but that wasn't bad it was horrifying.

Yeah, there's a bad year and then there's falling off a cliff.

If he had hit .220 with 24 home runs, that would have been a bad year -- below his career norms.

Then, there's .159 with 11 home runs. That's falling off a cliff.

I'll cross my fingers and hope for a return to career norms. But I don't have much optimism in me for the situation. I'm worried Dunn has flat out lost it.

thomas35forever
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm worried Dunn has flat out lost it.
It's possible, but after last year, he really has nowhere to go but up. Even if it's marginal, any type of improvement would be a step in the right direction.

wilburaga
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
He could improve dramatically over last year and still be a huge liability to the team. If he picks up where he left off, I wonder how many at bats Robin will give him before he pulls the plug.

kufram
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM

It really makes me angry that the guys that hit more than 60 home runs get any credit for doing it AT ALL! How can what I would call the greatest injustice in baseball accomplishments on the field stay in the record books??

hi im skot
01-18-2012, 03:33 PM
It really makes me angry that the guys that hit more than 60 home runs get any credit for doing it AT ALL! How can what I would call the greatest injustice in baseball accomplishments on the field stay in the record books??

I understand where you're coming from, but it still takes a pretty impressive skill to hit home runs. As many others have said, Bonds likely would have been a hall of famer without "help".

kufram
01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but it still takes a pretty impressive skill to hit home runs. As many others have said, Bonds likely would have been a hall of famer without "help".

I do not doubt that for a minute. But he should be a hall of famer because he didn't need the "help" to get there. Idiot. He doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame because he cheated.

I think the single season home run king is still Roger Maris and his record doesn't overwrite Ruth. But they both overwrite the other over 60s. Bonds, and others, have done far more damage to baseball than Pete Rose ever did.... and I agree with the punishment meted out to Rose. Bud Selig should have done much more much earlier.

Sorry, don't mean to get off-thread. Strong feelings on that one.

MetroPD
01-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Im just hoping he gets 60 hits this year.... he had only 66 HITS last year total.

Patrick134
01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
I see no reason why Dunn couldn't hit .060

thomas35forever
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
You could say the same for almost anybody who plays baseball. Actually, it kind of accurately describes most years I played.:redface:

palehozenychicty
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Im just hoping he gets 60 hits this year.... he had only 66 HITS last year total.

I think that is even more stupefying, to have 415 plate appearances and only 66 HITS.

cheezheadsoxfan
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
If anyone but Jim Thome had said it, I would have suspected sarcasm.

#1swisher
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
ChuckGarfien

Looks like a slimmer Adam Dunn will be at Sox Fest next week.
Heard he's lost 30 pounds.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
No guarantees of anything but this certainly is a good start on his part.

Lip

doublem23
01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
ChuckGarfien

That just means there's less of him to boo

Frater Perdurabo
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Dropping 30 pounds in 3.5 months is really impressive weight loss, but let's hope he lost fat, not muscle.

DrCrawdad
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
ChuckGarfien

Dropping 30 pounds in 3.5 months is really impressive weight loss, but let's hope he lost fat, not muscle.

Dunn lost 30 lbs. That's a lot of weight but not too much IMHO considering his size.

Marlon Byrd lost 40 lbs. I think though that was because Byrd stopped taking Victor Conte's S.N.A.C. supplements...

But please may Adam Dunn have a good year this year. That was all too painful last season.

Vernam
01-21-2012, 04:20 PM

:rolling:

Dramatic weight loss after a player's ****ty season always reminds me of the part in Ball Four where Bouton got a crew cut to disguise the fact that his arm was shot. All the know-nothing coaches were impressed: "Look at the bulldog," they said. It worked for a month or so before everyone realized he still sucked.

But, to be fair, unlike hair, lost weight can actually affect performance. I really respected how Dunne conducted himself last year. He pretty much avoided making excuses, moreso than most people would have done in similar circumstances.

Vernam

parlaycard
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
60 for the rest of his career? It's definately possible.