PDA

View Full Version : Peavy: Ozzie quit, not me

yazz32
01-14-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Peavy-Ozzie-quit-not-me?blockID=631392&feedID=661&awid=4679878360571694183-914

34rancher
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Was just about to post.

Someone wake me up when this jackass is out of here. My god do I hate these former NL has beens. When did we become the cubs with players with huge contracts that SUCK!

Someone tell this idiot to shut up let it go and finish a season.

mzh
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure this has been rehashed at least 100 times in the past few months. I get it Jake, you're a competitor, but can you please shut your trap until you, yknow, stop pitching like horse****?

Boondock Saint
01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Was just about to post.

Someone wake me up when this jackass is out of here. My god do I hate these former NL has beens. When did we become the cubs with players with huge contracts that SUCK!

Someone tell this idiot to shut up let it go and finish a season.

I'm pretty sure this has been rehashed at least 100 times in the past few months. I get it Jake, you're a competitor, but can you please shut your trap until you, yknow, stop pitching like horse****?

Easily my least favorite WSI "go to" line in reference to Jake Peavy.

edit: Also, everyone knows Ozzie quit on this team, but people can't wait to jump all over Peavy's ass because he said something, even though he's right. People should be tearing Ozzie a new one, not Peavy.

DSpivack
01-14-2012, 10:17 PM

edit: Also, everyone knows Ozzie quit on this team, but people can't wait to jump all over Peavy's ass because he said something, even though he's right. People should be tearing Ozzie a new one, not Peavy.

I agree with Peavy here re:Ozzie, but I'm no fan of Peavy, either, especially considering the comments he supposedly said this offseason about wanting to be traded to a contender.

TaylorStSox
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Ozzie was obviously talking to the Marlins while still a White Sox. If that isn't enough to condemn that piece of ****, nothing is.

34rancher
01-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Couple thoughts. For a guy who's made about a million dollars per game appeared in for the sox, he deserves to be criticized. I wish I could make 2 million per win. He's making more than pujols for crying out loud. So until he does something, he should just shut up. I wish we could trade his ass too. He's easily in my top 5 least favorite sox acquisitions in my lifetime.

As for Ozzie, he'll never be in my doghouse for 2005 alone.

Boondock Saint
01-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Couple thoughts. For a guy who's made about a million dollars per game appeared in for the sox, he deserves to be criticized. I wish I could make 2 million per win. He's making more than pujols for crying out loud. So until he does something, he should just shut up. I wish we could trade his ass too. He's easily in my top 5 least favorite sox acquisitions in my lifetime.

As for Ozzie, he'll never be in my doghouse for 2005 alone.

I don't even know where to begin. I think it's completely ridiculous to run down a guy for having an opinion while simultaneously having an injury, as if it becomes every player's job to become a mute until healthy and performing at an elite level. Also, claiming that he makes more than Pujols is pure spin. There's a bunch of guys making more than him next year, you gonna call them out, too? The hate Peavy gets for just having an injury is mind boggling.

pearso66
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Ozzie was obviously talking to the Marlins while still a White Sox. If that isn't enough to condemn that piece of ****, nothing is.

What's odd about all of this, is couldn't the Sox have filed tampering charges against the Marlins? Or could they have only done that had they not "traded" Ozzie to them? It was pretty obvious he was talking to them, maybe the Sox didn't care and just wanted to get rid of him.

DSpivack
01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
What's odd about all of this, is couldn't the Sox have filed tampering charges against the Marlins? Or could they have only done that had they not "traded" Ozzie to them? It was pretty obvious he was talking to them, maybe the Sox didn't care and just wanted to get rid of him.

Well, yeah, but trading him to Florida/Miami also means they assume his contract. I don't think the Sox cared, nor do I really blame them for that.

34rancher
01-14-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't even know where to begin. I think it's completely ridiculous to run down a guy for having an opinion while simultaneously having an injury, as if it becomes every player's job to become a mute until healthy and performing at an elite level. Also, claiming that he makes more than Pujols is pure spin. There's a bunch of guys making more than him next year, you gonna call them out, too? The hate Peavy gets for just having an injury is mind boggling.

Oh no worries. My opinion has nothing to do with injuries. I've hated the idea of getting him when the trade was proposed, loathed it when we got it and been disgusted since. :)
I've taken a lot of crap for my disgust at going after him and Dunn. I've always felt they were both steps toward last place.

DirtySox
01-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Both of them talk too much.

GoGoCrede
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh no worries. My opinion has nothing to do with injuries. I've hated the idea of getting him when the trade was proposed, loathed it when we got it and been disgusted since. :)
I've taken a lot of crap for my disgust at going after him and Dunn. I've always felt they were both steps toward last place.

I get that people disliked the Peavy deal (although I have a feeling some people disliked it only in hindsight). It's one thing to hate him for that, it's another to hate him for an injury.

Also - and this isn't directed at you, just in general - it's interesting how some people loathe him for a comment that was not even confirmed as being him.

Lip Man 1
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
34:

I'll always appreciate Ozzie for what he helped do in 2005, but that doesn't give him a lifetime pass., Three losing seasons in the past five years remember...it's a "what have you done for me lately" profession.

And you can agree or disagree with Peavy's making the comment but the comment wasn't wrong was it?

Ozzie wanted out after the 2010 season. If that's not quitting I don't know what is...or how about telling the media, "I don't know if I'll be back next year if they don't extend my contract..." right before the biggest series of the year vs. Detroit with the Sox on a roll.

Completely uncalled for, completely unprofessional.

Ozzie got his wish, he's in Florida playing for a moron of an owner who'll fire him at the drop of a hat after two years if the team isn't winning (and in that division they won't...)

Lip

GoGoCrede
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Both of them talk too much.

Yeah, but I'll support Peavy since he's on my favorite team. Ozzie can kick rocks. :smile:

34rancher
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
34:

I'll always appreciate Ozzie for what he helped do in 2005, but that doesn't give him a lifetime pass., Three losing seasons in the past five years remember...it's a "what have you done for me lately" profession.
one world series appearance and win in 50 years is enough perspective for me. I get the idea of what have you done for me lately, but I choose to remember how unique a world series win is in this town.

And you can agree or disagree with Peavy's making the comment but the comment wasn't wrong was it?
Whether wrong or not, it's January, not November. It's the time to let sleeping dogs lie and me on. We are closer to pitchers and catchers than we are to the end of last season. It's dumb to start a war of words and frankly cowardly , immature, and unprofessional at this point.

Ozzie wanted out after the 2010 season. If that's not quitting I don't know what is...or how about telling the media, "I don't know if I'll be back next year if they don't extend my contract..." right before the biggest series of the year vs.Detroit with the Sox on a roll.

Completely uncalled for, completely unprofessional.

Ozzie got his wish, he's in Florida playing for a moron of an owner who'll fire him at the drop of a hat after two years if the team isn't winning (and in that division they won't...)

Lip
Agree and well said by you. It was time to move on by the organization. It's over, and time to focus on the inadequacies this team is about to face for the next half decade due to bad bad decisions on personnel. The Dunn and peavy signings will have set this team back more than at the time could have fathomed.

doublem23
01-14-2012, 11:46 PM
I have no doubt that Ozzie just checked out with the Sox last year, maybe even earlier, but god damn it Peavy, please shut the hell up and just pitch.

Easily my least favorite player from perhaps the last decade.

JB98
01-14-2012, 11:46 PM
I know people (understandably) don't like Peavy, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

doublem23
01-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Don't strain your arm patting yourself on the back.

Always nice to see fans root against their own team. :rolleyes:

DSpivack
01-15-2012, 12:14 AM
I have no doubt that Ozzie just checked out with the Sox last year, maybe even earlier, but god damn it Peavy, please shut the hell up and just pitch.

Well, there's the lollygagging Rios and the woeful Adam Dunn. It's so hard to choose!

I know people (understandably) don't like Peavy, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

I don't think he is, either, but I still don't like him.

mzh
01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
By no means is he wrong, but I think he's hardly the guy to call him out for it. He didn't exactly do his job to perfection either.

NardiWasHere
01-15-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm not a big Peavy fan, but he's in the right here.

gobears1987
01-15-2012, 02:54 AM

I'm not a big Peavy fan, but I can think of players that are easier to dislike. This team had Nick Swisher and Manny Ramirez.

PeteWard
01-15-2012, 06:06 AM
I am sure Ozzie will ignore this and do the mature and professional thing by letting this die. :tongue:

kufram
01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Much ado about nothing.

dickallen15
01-15-2012, 08:56 AM
With a year left on his contract as well.

LITTLE NELL
01-15-2012, 09:19 AM
I am a Peavy fan and its a shame that he has been hurt with his time with the Sox. No player gets injured on purpose. He is not a quitter and I hope this time next year we will be talking about the Comeback Player of the Year award he shares with Adam Dunn.

PatK
01-15-2012, 09:28 AM
By no means is he wrong, but I think he's hardly the guy to call him out for it. He didn't exactly do his job to perfection either.

Ozzie not doing his job didn't have anything to do with an injury and surgery that's no one has ever come back from before.

SI1020
01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I believe I was the first one here to ask Peavy to "shut up and pitch." I caught a little hell for it. Right now I've definitely given up on the first part, and have very little hope for the second.

wassagstdu
01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Jerk Peavey, who has contributed nothing to the White Sox and probably will not before he is gone (along with a pile of money and the future of the team), says Ozzie Guillen, who has done more for the Sox than anyone else in history, quit on the team -- after he was excluded from the key decision to shut Peavey down, and essentially shoved out the door by Ken Williams, who has done more harm to the Sox than anyone in my lifetime and left them a last place team with no way out.

Is the problem Peavey has with Ozzie a result of that shut-down decision? Was Ozzie against it? Did Peavey want to shut down and Ozzie opposed it? Then if anyone quit on the team it was Peavey.

But nobody quit on the team. The team just stunk. Ozzie made it clear again and again over the years that he loved the Sox and Sox fans and Chicago, and was proud and happy to play for them then manage them. Ken Williams and (some) Sox fans quit on Ozzie.

cheezheadsoxfan
01-15-2012, 11:45 AM
I get that people disliked the Peavy deal (although I have a feeling some people disliked it only in hindsight). It's one thing to hate him for that, it's another to hate him for an injury.

Also - and this isn't directed at you, just in general - it's interesting how some people loathe him for a comment that was not even confirmed as being him.

Yes, I do seem to remember a lot of people giddy with joy during the first few games he pitched. Disappointment with a guy who can't stay healthy is one thing but it seems to get a little over-the-top here at times. And the Ozzie who brought us 2005 isn't the same as the one who said "**** it" the last year.

mzh
01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Ozzie not doing his job didn't have anything to do with an injury and surgery that's no one has ever come back from before.
If his injury had that much of an effect on his pitching then he shouldn't have pitched. He hurt the team more that he helped it. If his injury caused him to pitch like junk with a 4.92 ERA, they probably could have gotten better numbers out of Stewart or Axelrod while he dedicated the time to fully recover.

You're right, they don't have anything to do with each other. Which is why it somewhat concerns me that Peavy is still yakking to the press about it for some reason instead of focusing on making it to and through the season healthy, if that's still such a big issue.

Again, I hold NOTHING against Peavy for being hurt. **** happens. But regardless, I don't get why he can't let his personal beef die and start doing his own job, which has been somewhat lacking the last couple years to say the least.

spawn
01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Jeez. He was asked about allegations that he quit on the team. All he said was Ozzie didn't finish the season. He was right. It's not like he sought out reporters and gave an unsolicited quote. I have noi problem with anyone disliking him. But this I don't find fault with.

HomeFish
01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Can we move anything that Peavy says to the Roadhouse?

JB98
01-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Jerk Peavey, who has contributed nothing to the White Sox and probably will not before he is gone (along with a pile of money and the future of the team), says Ozzie Guillen, who has done more for the Sox than anyone else in history, quit on the team -- after he was excluded from the key decision to shut Peavey down, and essentially shoved out the door by Ken Williams, who has done more harm to the Sox than anyone in my lifetime and left them a last place team with no way out.

Is the problem Peavey has with Ozzie a result of that shut-down decision? Was Ozzie against it? Did Peavey want to shut down and Ozzie opposed it? Then if anyone quit on the team it was Peavey.

But nobody quit on the team. The team just stunk. Ozzie made it clear again and again over the years that he loved the Sox and Sox fans and Chicago, and was proud and happy to play for them then manage them. Ken Williams and (some) Sox fans quit on Ozzie.

I was out at the ballpark last summer watching Ozzie's team lay down and die like a bunch of dogs.

That's all I know.

spawn
01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Can we move anything that Peavy says to the Roadhouse?
Why? Because he told the truth? :scratch:

nwisox
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Mr. Cy Young ought to turn the page and get ready to report to duty. Ozzie Guillen is ancient history.

spawn
01-15-2012, 02:03 PM

This makes absolutely zero sense. If you're referencing Ozzie managing the '05 team thatwon theWorld Series as for doing more than the Sox than anyone else in history...well, if memory serves, KW kinda helped build that team.

I find it hilarious that the people that want to give Ozzie a free pass for life because of the '05 WS won't give KW the same consideration. Not saying that KW deserves it, but Ozzie sure in the hell doesn't either.

doublem23
01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
says Ozzie Guillen, who has done more for the Sox than anyone else in history, quit on the team -- after he was excluded from the key decision to shut Peavey down, and essentially shoved out the door by Ken Williams, who has done more harm to the Sox than anyone in my lifetime and left them a last place team with no way out.

So Ozzie, who was only in his 2nd year in the organization in 2005 has everything to do with the Sox winning the World Series while KW, who had been crafting that roster for years as GM and Director of Player Development before that, had absolutely nothing to do with it...

:thumbsup: Gotcha.

October26
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
I am a Peavy fan and its a shame that he has been hurt with his time with the Sox. No player gets injured on purpose. He is not a quitter and I hope this time next year we will be talking about the Comeback Player of the Year award he shares with Adam Dunn.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs up to both Peavy and Dunn being Comeback Player of the Year award recipients in 2012!!

I will say that after I listened to Jake on White Sox Weekly yesterday on the Score, I thought to myself, why is he re-hashing this thing with Ozzie now? I do agree with those who have posted that it is time to move on, and I think making these remarks about Ozzie at this point serves no purpose.

Jake was his usual positive, motivated, self during the interview yesterday. Here's hoping that energy translates into good pitching and lots of wins for Jake and our Sox in 2012.

asindc
01-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Nothing about the bolded part of your post makes any sense whatsoever.

Red Barchetta
01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I for one am welcoming a quieter, more baseball-focused White Sox team lead by Robin Ventura. Robin has a "Joe Madden" like temperment and I'm hoping he can be just as successful.

I know Peavy is a competitor and I know he can pitch. I just hope the White Sox get at least one full season of productivity out of him.

As to Ozzie, thank you for 2005, however just like Ditka (and 1985), the act was getting old. Time for a change.

Counting the days until pitchers and catchers report...

thomas35forever
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I just hope Peavy does something this season. If he doesn't, where does it rank on the list of Kenny's worst moves?

mzh
01-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I just hope Peavy does something this season. If he doesn't, where does it rank on the list of Kenny's worst moves?
Biggest disappointments maybe, but seeing as we didn't exactly give up the world for him, I don't think it ranks among the worst.

DirtySox
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Eh. All he gave up really was back of the rotation starter in Clayton. Poreda and Carter fell apart immediately after the trade. Russell was/is a fungible reliever. The only place that it really hurt was monetarily. I don't like Jake Peavy, but I can't fault the trade at all.

asindc
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Monday morning quarterback much?

dickallen15
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM

If this is true why did Ozzie have to have more than one year on his contract? Why did he walk away while under contract for 2012? If you recall he said its not about winning, its about money. The guy is a jerk who has an act that gets stale. He'll wind up leaving the Marlins in a huff, you just watch.

dickallen15
01-15-2012, 03:17 PM
If his injury had that much of an effect on his pitching then he shouldn't have pitched. He hurt the team more that he helped it. If his injury caused him to pitch like junk with a 4.92 ERA, they probably could have gotten better numbers out of Stewart or Axelrod while he dedicated the time to fully recover.

You're right, they don't have anything to do with each other. Which is why it somewhat concerns me that Peavy is still yakking to the press about it for some reason instead of focusing on making it to and through the season healthy, if that's still such a big issue.

Again, I hold NOTHING against Peavy for being hurt. **** happens. But regardless, I don't get why he can't let his personal beef die and start doing his own job, which has been somewhat lacking the last couple years to say the least.
When Frank Thomas was hurt and wound up hitting .215 because of said injury, and the White Sox let him go and brought in Jim Thome instead, where you mad at Frank when he got into a personal beef with KW? I know Frank has done more for the Sox than Peavy ever will, but its basically the same thing, only Peavy's comments are a little more tame than Frank's at the time which made KW call him an idiot.

Falstaff
01-15-2012, 03:18 PM
(As I suggested a year ago....) I'd like to see Peavy work on developing effective off-speed junk, maybe even get Wilbur Wood come in and give him some tips on throwing knuckleball. Thats what the offseason is for and Wilbur prob can use some extra $$. Jake knows how to pitch however he is used to relying on a plus fastball (and herky jerky throwing motion) as money pitch. The new surgically improved Jake Peavy needs to learn how to get out hitters without having arm fall off. That is, he needs to develop effective off speed junque/knuckleball -OR- reduce workload ie become the new closer.

Time to face reality.

dickallen15
01-15-2012, 03:20 PM
(As I suggested a year ago....) I'd like to see Peavy work on developing effective off-speed junk, maybe even get Wilbur Wood come in and give him some tips on throwing knuckleball. Thats what the offseason is for and Wilbur prob can use some extra $$. Jake knows how to pitch however he is used to relying on a plus fastball (and herky jerky throwing motion) as money pitch. The new surgically improved Jake Peavy needs to learn how to get out hitters without having arm fall off. That is, he needs to develop effective off speed junque/knuckleball -OR- reduce workload ie become the new closer.

Time to face reality.
His slider is the money pitch. Lets see how he does a few more months removed from surgery. I don't think too many were expecting much out of him in 2011, especially the medical staff.

KMcMahon817
01-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Jeez. He was asked about allegations that he quit on the team. All he said was Ozzie didn't finish the season. He was right. It's not like he sought out reporters and gave an unsolicited quote. I have noi problem with anyone disliking him. But this I don't find fault with.

What he said. This is no big deal. He was asked about quitting on the team....and he said no and explained himself.

ChiSoxGal85
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
What he said. This is no big deal. He was asked about quitting on the team....and he said no and explained himself.

This. I heard the interview. He was asked questions and he answered them honestly. I really think Peavy feels bad how his tenure in Chicago has been so far, and just wants to prove himself to be the pitcher the Sox wanted when they traded for him. I can understand that.

Domeshot17
01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I Don't see how anyone can possibly be mad at Peavy for this. He was asked a question, he answered it honestly. Peavy has not come here and been lazy, or worked poorly, or been an *******. He suffered one of the rarest injuries in baseball history. This could have been a lot worse and Peavy has been a professional. When they dealt for him, they sold him on being on a winning team that would not be rebuilding, they sold him that Ozzie wasn't the ******* he was made out to be, and all he has seen is the Sox be a complete and utter joke as a franchise thanks to Ozzie.

If the Sox have any hope of rebounding, it hinges on Jake and Dunn bouncing back.

And I love all the experts who hated Jake, and hated Dunn. Those were the same people clamoring to bring in Carl Crawford, because the Sox don't need power hitters, power hitters are slow, they need over rated toolsy guys who hit in the middle of the order. Crawford was completely terrible as well.

At the end of the day, give me Dunn and Peavy over Ozzie any day. Atleast if we lose, we will do it with effort and class, and not with one of the most despicable managers in baseball fully equipped with an idiot family.

34rancher
01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
This. I heard the interview. He was asked questions and he answered them honestly. I really think Peavy feels bad how his tenure in Chicago has been so far, and just wants to prove himself to be the pitcher the Sox wanted when they traded for him. I can understand that.

That may be, but what gives him the idea that he needs to be a team spokesperson? Heck, where does he come across thinkins he's a team leader enough? That is something that should be earned.

34rancher
01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I Don't see how anyone can possibly be mad at Peavy for this. He was asked a question, he answered it honestly. Peavy has not come here and been lazy, or worked poorly, or been an *******. He suffered one of the rarest injuries in baseball history. This could have been a lot worse and Peavy has been a professional. When they dealt for him, they sold him on being on a winning team that would not be rebuilding, they sold him that Ozzie wasn't the ******* he was made out to be, and all he has seen is the Sox be a complete and utter joke as a franchise thanks to Ozzie.

If the Sox have any hope of rebounding, it hinges on Jake and Dunn bouncing back.

And I love all the experts who hated Jake, and hated Dunn. Those were the same people clamoring to bring in Carl Crawford, because the Sox don't need power hitters, power hitters are slow, they need over rated toolsy guys who hit in the middle of the order. Crawford was completely terrible as well.

At the end of the day, give me Dunn and Peavy over Ozzie any day. Atleast if we lose, we will do it with effort and class, and not with one of the most despicable managers in baseball fully equipped with an idiot family.
We all have our thoughts, but I never wanted these two clowns on this team. To me they are as bad if not worse than Sosa, Cordero, or Navarro in my opinion. I am just done with the cub mentality of signing NL has beens who were successful by playing in the NL and getting old. And at least Crawford could play the field and contribute somehow. I never wanted him, but it's gonna be a rough few years coming.

GoGoCrede
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
That may be, but what gives him the idea that he needs to be a team spokesperson? Heck, where does he come across thinkins he's a team leader enough? That is something that should be earned.

Has he specifically said that he sees himself as such? Speaking one's mind does not equal being a spokesperson. Does his injury make his opinions or thoughts less valid?

And let's say he does see himself as the spokesperson. If the guys in the clubhouse are okay with it - and they know him better than we do - it's not really our business.

Domeshot17
01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
We all have our thoughts, but I never wanted these two clowns on this team. To me they are as bad if not worse than Sosa, Cordero, or Navarro in my opinion. I am just done with the cub mentality of signing NL has beens who were successful by playing in the NL and getting old. And at least Crawford could play the field and contribute somehow. I never wanted him, but it's gonna be a rough few years coming.

Crawford had a poor year defensively and a lot of reports had him as a clubhouse cancer in Boston.

I don't see how Peavy or Dunn is anything like those 3. It is just a terrible comparison. Being upset Jake Peavy's injury hasn't let him pitch is as dumb as being mad that Gaines Adams passed away and can't produce for the Bears.

Peavy and Dunn are both VERY WELL LIKED and VERY WELL RESPECTED in the clubhouse. They are both stand up guys coming off down years. Paul Konerko had a down year once too. I am glad we didn't give up on him.

34rancher
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Has he specifically said that he sees himself as such? Speaking one's mind does not equal being a spokesperson. Does his injury make his opinions or thoughts less valid?

And let's say he does see himself as the spokesperson. If the guys in the clubhouse are okay with it - and they know him better than we do - it's not really our business.

When you speak in the public/media, then you are acting as a spokesperson. He's not a great dude. Sometime find out why his wife vetoed the cubs as a destination team. He's been awful for this team. I personally just am not a fan if his, off the field or on, never have been, never will be.

GoGoCrede
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
When you speak in the public/media, then you are acting as a spokesperson. He's not a great dude. Sometime find out why his wife vetoed the cubs as a destination team. He's been awful for this team. I personally just am not a fan if his, off the field or on, never have been, never will be.

Unless he was specifically hired to speak for the Sox - which means he is voicing opinions as though everyone on the team feels the same, which to my knowledge has never been stated - his opinions belong only to him. Does that mean when Hawk bitches about umps that everyone on the Sox feels the same? Does that mean some of Ozzie's more inane comments spoke for the entire team? Unless Peavy specifically said, "The entire team feels this way," which he did not, I think you're just fishing for reasons to dislike him from this article.

I understand if you dislike him for other reasons, but this article itself is far from the worst thing a player has ever said regarding the Sox. The article is basically saying he has not and will not give up on the team. Where's the hate coming from?

Lip Man 1
01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
34:

Does that mean when he's asked a question in an interview he should just refuse to answer?

:?:

Doesn't work that way. To an extent ANYTIME a player is asked a question he's a spokesperson. I appreciate honesty first rather than giving a politically correct answer or dodging the question.

Lip

SI1020
01-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I'd just prefer that he pitch well first and talk big second. Even the other way around wouldn't be so bad at this point.

TheVulture
01-15-2012, 11:16 PM

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

I seriously doubt Dunn's effort personally and he was so bad that you have to wonder if someone that bad can come all the way back to passable.

Soxman219
01-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I wish Peavy would pitch like he talks. We know Ozzie quit last year, but that was last year. This year, Peavy has no excuse, put your money where your mouth is and pitch well for once!

Noneck
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
I have no problem with Peavy as a player or what he said. He has not pitched well and has missed a lot of time while on the Sox but I have never heard that it is because he doesnt work hard or is not trying. Yes it does seem as though he talks too much at times but in this case what he said was just a truthful answer to question.

wassagstdu
01-16-2012, 10:12 AM
This makes absolutely zero sense. If you're referencing Ozzie managing the '05 team thatwon theWorld Series as for doing more than the Sox than anyone else in history...well, if memory serves, KW kinda helped build that team.

I find it hilarious that the people that want to give Ozzie a free pass for life because of the '05 WS won't give KW the same consideration. Not saying that KW deserves it, but Ozzie sure in the hell doesn't either.

This is the way it looks to me. Maybe we will find out the truth years from now in Lip's interviews. Ozzie came in 2004 with a honeymoon period that extended through the off-season. During that time, he and Williams worked together to reshape the team for 2005. As Ozzie said in his Forword to "What It Means to Be A White Sox (Bob Vorwald, 2010): "Following my first season in 2004, I gave Kenny my opinion of the ballclub, and he made some changes to improve the team and its chemistry."

The 2005 team was an Ozzie team, not a Kenny team. I say that because the nature of that team was consistent with everything Ozzie has asked and argued for since, but not at all what Kenny has consistently given him. Relations between the two of them gradually went south as each thought he was the genius of 2005 and perhaps each polarized his position to slight the other. Clearly they had different ideas about what had worked in 2005 and most of WSI agrees with Kenny. Unfortunately for the Sox, Ozzie was right.

Saying that Ozzie has done more for the Sox than anyone in history may be a bit of an exaggeration, but the 2005 championship gave the Sox the opportunity to make a step change in their status in Chicago and in the American League. Not only has that opportunity been squandered, but I now see the Sox in the worst position they have been in in a long time and with no good way out. And it was Williams who put them in that position, not Ozzie. We'll find out what Ozzie can do without Kenny, but that doesn't matter to the Sox. What matters is what Kenny can do without Ozzie, and there is no evidence that he can do anything good.

spawn
01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
The 2005 team was an Ozzie team, not a Kenny team. I say that because the nature of that team was consistent with everything Ozzie has asked and argued for since, but not at all what Kenny has consistently given him.
Ah, I get it. So, Ozzie is the one that traded Carlos Lee for Scott Posednik. Ozzie signed Iguchi. Ozzie signed Hermanson. Ozzie traded for Bobby Jenks. Ozzie signed Jermaine Dye. Ozzie signed El Duque. The bottom line is KW built that team. You can dislike him if you want, but to give Ozzie ****ing Guillen full credit for the '05 team is just assinine.

Relations between the two of them gradually went south as each thought he was the genius of 2005 and perhaps each polarized his position to slight the other. Clearly they had different ideas about what had worked in 2005 and most of WSI agrees with Kenny. Unfortunately for the Sox, Ozzie was right.

How exactly was Ozzie right? Because he thought the team coulds win with Juan Pierre in the lineup? Or that Mark Kotsay was an everyday DH? Or even that Rob Maciowiak was an everyday CFer? He was definiely right in believing the Sox didn't need Jim Thome as a DH. Please. KW's faults are many, but Ozzie Guillen is in no way infallible. *****.

HomeFish
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM
This is the way it looks to me. Maybe we will find out the truth years from now in Lip's interviews. Ozzie came in 2004 with a honeymoon period that extended through the off-season. During that time, he and Williams worked together to reshape the team for 2005. As Ozzie said in his Forword to "What It Means to Be A White Sox (Bob Vorwald, 2010): "Following my first season in 2004, I gave Kenny my opinion of the ballclub, and he made some changes to improve the team and its chemistry."

The 2005 team was an Ozzie team, not a Kenny team. I say that because the nature of that team was consistent with everything Ozzie has asked and argued for since, but not at all what Kenny has consistently given him. Relations between the two of them gradually went south as each thought he was the genius of 2005 and perhaps each polarized his position to slight the other. Clearly they had different ideas about what had worked in 2005 and most of WSI agrees with Kenny. Unfortunately for the Sox, Ozzie was right.

Saying that Ozzie has done more for the Sox than anyone in history may be a bit of an exaggeration, but the 2005 championship gave the Sox the opportunity to make a step change in their status in Chicago and in the American League. Not only has that opportunity been squandered, but I now see the Sox in the worst position they have been in in a long time and with no good way out. And it was Williams who put them in that position, not Ozzie. We'll find out what Ozzie can do without Kenny, but that doesn't matter to the Sox. What matters is what Kenny can do without Ozzie, and there is no evidence that he can do anything good.

The most "Ozzie team" we had was 2007, with all those grinders.

SI1020
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I have disagreed with wassagstdu from time to time, but I agree with him that 2005 was an Ozzie team. Of course Kenny acquired the players and filled the holes. He did it quite well, but it was his job. Ozzie made it clear that he wanted to get away from the style of play prevalent from 2000-04. He wanted more speed, more defense, better pitching, more flexibility. For that one year he got it. Things went to seed after mid 06, and I don't want to rehash all that. I was ready for Ozzie to leave for a long time. He made me mad so many times, and in so many ways. Still the man does have a philosophy and for a while he was a very good manager. KW is in a long and pronounced slump. Now we will see what Ozzie and KW can do without each other to feud with and blame.

spawn
01-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I have disagreed with wassagstdu from time to time, but I agree with him that 2005 was an Ozzie team. Of course Kenny acquired the players and filled the holes. He did it quite well, but it was his job. Ozzie made it clear that he wanted to get away from the style of play prevalent from 2000-04. He wanted more speed, more defense, better pitching, more flexibility. For that one year he got it. Things went to seed after mid 06, and I don't want to rehash all that. I was ready for Ozzie to leave for a long time. He made me mad so many times, and in so many ways. Still the man does have a philosophy and for a while he was a very good manager. KW is in a long and pronounced slump. Now we will see what Ozzie and KW can do without each other to feud with and blame.
So KW should get credit as much if not more credit for that '05 team as Ozzie. My point is yoiu can't just ignore KW's role in the '05 team just because he "did his job". In that respect, Ozzie "did his job" managing the team as well. You can't just give all of the credit to Ozzie. For wassagstdu to say:

<snip> Ozzie Guillen, who has done more for the Sox than anyone else in history,
<snip>Ken Williams, who has done more harm to the Sox than anyone in my lifetime

is basically doing just that IMO.

spawn
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
To get this thread back on topic:

So, in your opinion, since Peavy was asked if he basically quit on the team last season, he should've either said "no comment" (which most on this board would've taken for a yes, or said he should've answered the question) or told the reporter to refer to Paul Konerko to answer for him? Yeah. Makes sense.

mzh
01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
To get this thread back on topic:

So, in your opinion, since Peavy was asked if he basically quit on the team last season, he should've either said "no comment" (which most on this board would've taken for a yes, or said he should've answered the question) or told the reporter to refer to Paul Konerko to answer for him? Yeah. Makes sense.
Not even that, I just don't see why he had to rehash the Ozzie thing. It was a defensive statement, I just don't get why he couldn't have said 'absolutely not' and left it at that.

spawn
01-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Not even that, I just don't see why he had to rehash the Ozzie thing. It was a defensive statement, I just don't get why he couldn't have said 'absolutely not' and left it at that.
Again, I have no problem with what he said. In the interview he was explaining why he was shut down, and he admitted that while KW and Coop were behind the decision to shut him down, Ozzie wasn't and that Ozzie basically said he quit on the team. And again, he was right. Ozzie did quit on the team.

mzh
01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Again, I have no problem with what he said. In the interview he was explaining why he was shut down, and he admitted that while KW and Coop were behind the decision to shut him down, Ozzie wasn't and that Ozzie basically said he quit on the team. And again, he was right. Ozzie did quit on the team.
This makes more sense. I was out of town and had zoned out for the most part by the time all this went down, so it's all kind of fuzzy.

spawn
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
This makes more sense. I was out of town and had zoned out for the most part by the time all this went down, so it's all kind of fuzzy.
Here's the full interview (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2F redirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2F d0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2FdM%2Fd6%2FdC%2FZM6C_4.MP3%3Fauthtok %3D5561667795753864578_hnjOcCfG29cxyOnpKb5SY9DwY&podcast_name=Jake+Peavy+on+White+Sox+Weekly+with+C hris+Rongey&podcast_artist=White+Sox+Weekly+w%2FChris+Rongey&station_id=391&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.CHI). It's at around the 7 to 8 minute mark. Listen and then decide for yourself.

russ99
01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Ah, I get it. So, Ozzie is the one that traded Carlos Lee for Scott Posednik. Ozzie signed Iguchi. Ozzie signed Hermanson. Ozzie traded for Bobby Jenks. Ozzie signed Jermaine Dye. Ozzie signed El Duque. The bottom line is KW built that team. You can dislike him if you want, but to give Ozzie ****ing Guillen full credit for the '05 team is just assinine.

How exactly was Ozzie right? Because he thought the team coulds win with Juan Pierre in the lineup? Or that Mark Kotsay was an everyday DH? Or even that Rob Maciowiak was an everyday CFer? He was definiely right in believing the Sox didn't need Jim Thome as a DH. Please. KW's faults are many, but Ozzie Guillen is in no way infallible. *****.

The most "Ozzie team" we had was 2007, with all those grinders.

Please. Ozzie wanted speed, defense and flexibility and Kenny traded Rowand for Thome who couldn't field or run and left a huge gap of nobody of MLB quality to play CF.

Those "grinders" were part-time players that Kenny acquired on the cheap or promoted because he over-reached the year before. And that MO was often repeated in the years to follow with Griffey, Manny Ramirez, Rios, Peavy and Dunn.

The one thing I just can't wrap my head around is why Kenny would trade Lee for Podsednik and then a year later make the Rowand for Thome trade, especially considering the success that Ozzie had with that kind of roster. It's like turning your back on what actually worked.

spawn
01-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Please. Ozzie wanted speed, defense and flexibility and Kenny traded Rowand for Thome who couldn't field or run and left a huge gap of nobody of MLB quality to play CF.

The one thing I just can't wrap my head around is why Kenny would trade Lee for Podsednik and then a year later make the Rowand for Thome trade, especially considering the success that Ozzie had with that kind of roster. It's like turning your back on what actually worked.
Brian Anderson was supposed to fill that role. He just never lived up to billing. It was because of BA's failures that Erstad and Macowiak ended up patroling center. Despite what eventually went down with BA, he was a vastly superior defensive CFer than Aaron Rowand IMO. I'd make that Rowand for Thome trade 25 hours a day 8 days a week.

Frater Perdurabo
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Brian Anderson was supposed to fill that role. He just never lived up to billing. It was because of BA's failures that Erstad and Macowiak ended up patroling center. Despite what eventually went down with BA, he was a vastly superior defensive CFer than Aaron Rowand IMO. I'd make that Rowand for Thome trade 25 hours a day 8 days a week.

Agreed. Lack of offensive production from the #9 hole / CF on the 2006 Sox did not cost them the division. Poor pitching did. If anything, Thome's power helped Dye, Paulie and even Crede see better pitches, and the offense made up for many of the pitching woes between April and August.

SI1020
01-16-2012, 04:30 PM
So KW should get credit as much if not more credit for that '05 team as Ozzie. My point is yoiu can't just ignore KW's role in the '05 team just because he "did his job". In that respect, Ozzie "did his job" managing the team as well. You can't just give all of the credit to Ozzie. For wassagstdu to say:

is basically doing just that IMO. Like I said I've disagreed with him from time to time. All I'm saying is Ozzie placed an order. A damn good one too. KW filled it. They won big. The pitching went to seed in the second half of 06 and after that it's like the Hatfield vs the McCoys.

russ99
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Agreed. Lack of offensive production from the #9 hole / CF on the 2006 Sox did not cost them the division. Poor pitching did. If anything, Thome's power helped Dye, Paulie and even Crede see better pitches, and the offense made up for many of the pitching woes between April and August.

I agree, but only in 2006. But CF was also a black hole in 2007-2009 until Kenny got Rios on a waiver claim.

The other issue here is Kenny's well-publicized problems with Frank Thomas. Had he brought back Frank (who had 2 and a half good years left) he wouldn't have had to trade for Thome.

The Hurt's .279/39/114 would have looked real good in 2006, along with Rowand's average glove and decent bat. I'm sure this is shoulda-coulda thinking, but how much of this was Kenny's pride/ego getting in the way of continuing the success of 2005, and Jerry's all-time largest Sox payroll in 2006 to go with it..

spawn
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I agree, but only in 2006. But CF was also a black hole in 2007-2009 until Kenny got Rios on a waiver claim.

The other issue here is Kenny's well-publicized problems with Frank Thomas. Had he brought back Frank (who had 2 and a half good years left) he wouldn't have had to trade for Thome.

The Hurt's .279/39/114 would have looked real good in 2006, along with Rowand's average glove and decent bat. I'm sure this is shoulda-coulda thinking, but how much of this was Kenny's pride/ego getting in the way of continuing the success of 2005, and Jerry's all-time largest Sox payroll in 2006 to go with it..
You're right. it is shoulda-coulda thinking. I could say that if BA could've at least hit .250 with between 15-20 homers, which IMO isn't asking much, Rowand wouldn't have been missed, and the Sox wouldn't have had a black hole in CF from '07 to '09. Also, the reason for getting Thome was because the White Sox sorely needed a lefty hitter with power. Also, who was it that continued to hit Dunn 3rd last season even though he was failing miserably, or the continued need to start Kotsay at DH? You want to say pride and ego with KW. Ozzie fits that bill as well.

russ99
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
You're right. it is shoulda-coulda thinking. I could say that if BA could've at least hit .250 with between 15-20 homers, which IMO isn't asking much, Rowand wouldn't have been missed, and the Sox wouldn't have had a black hole in CF from '07 to '09. Also, the reason for getting Thome was because the White Sox sorely needed a lefty hitter with power. Also, who was it that continued to hit Dunn 3rd last season even though he was failing miserably, or the continued need to start Kotsay at DH? You want to say pride and ego with KW. Ozzie fits that bill as well.

Touche' :D:

mzh
01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Absolutely. Ask yourself this: If Ozzie had just started him the second game of 2006, would we be in this mess right now? :D:

spawn
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Absolutely. Ask yourself this: If Ozzie had just started him the second game of 2006, would we be in this mess right now? :D:
Hey Hey HEY!!!:rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Maybe if Ozzie hadn't dorked around with CF in 2006, perhaps BA would have proven to everyone that he was unfit for a starting job, and then KW could have found a better solution than Erstad in 2007.

JB98
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM

I heard the Peavy interview live on the radio, and that is my interpretation as well. I didn't think Jake sounded defensive. He just answered the questions honestly.

We have a culture now where people always say, "Ohhhh ... he shouldn't have said that." Well, why not? The truth is the truth.

kufram
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
I heard the Peavy interview live on the radio, and that is my interpretation as well. I didn't think Jake sounded defensive. He just answered the questions honestly.

We have a culture now where people always say, "Ohhhh ... he shouldn't have said that." Well, why not? The truth is the truth.

People here say anything they please. So should Peavy.

gobears1987
01-17-2012, 07:28 AM
I don't give two craps what Peavy said. He can say whatever he wants. I just want him to actually go out and make 30 starts at least once while he is playing under this contract. Even if he makes 32 starts, he is getting over $500k per start.

Jerko
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
With a year left on his contract as well.

And his acceptance of the Marlin job leaking on his blog while he was in the middle of a post-game presser.

russ99
01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Maybe if Ozzie hadn't dorked around with CF in 2006, perhaps BA would have proven to everyone that he was unfit for a starting job, and then KW could have found a better solution than Erstad in 2007.

Anderson proved he was unfit for a starting job when Ozzie played him every day for 3 months straight in 2006. That's 405 PA with a .225 BA, and 90 Ks.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Russ:

The "problem" with Frank's situation is that if the Sox picked up his option it would have cost them 10 million.

This for a guy who missed most of the two previous seasons with a foot injury. Given his size there were absolutely no guarantees he'd be able to come back from that.

I can't blame Kenny for that decision given what was known at the time.

Hindsight is always a great thing to have but Williams wasn't afforded that luxury at that time.

Lip

Domeshot17
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
You are, very conveniently, leaving out one huge factor. Had Kenny brought back Frank Thomas, and not dealt for Thome, Paul Konerko would not have stayed. Konerko came out and said the biggest factor with him coming back was Thome.

Ozzie had rosterís with the players he wanted. NL ball did not win us a world series in 2005 and that line of thinking is just horrendously flawed. We hit over 200 home runs in 2005. We won a title because we had pretty much everyone have a career year, and Ozzie had to manage very little in the playoffs. His inability to handle a bullpen was offset by starters going deep/completing games.

This page has it all. An Ozzie Defense, a Rowand complaint and a BA sucks all rolled into one!

TaylorStSox
01-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Those "grinders" were part-time players that Kenny acquired on the cheap or promoted because he over-reached the year before. And that MO was often repeated in the years to follow with Griffey, Manny Ramirez, Rios, Peavy and Dunn.

Because Thome's a hall of famer and Roland sucked. Thome/ Anderson> Rowand/ whoever We run out there to DH.

SephClone89
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Because Thome's a hall of famer and Roland sucked. Thome/ Anderson> Rowand/ whoever We run out there to DH.

Rowand/Thomas>Anderson/Thome

doublem23
01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Rowand/Thomas>Anderson/Thome

In hindsight yeah, but remember that in 2006 Brian Anderson was as hot a prospect as the Sox had had since Joe Crede won multiple Southern League MVPs, was coming off a sparkling season in the minors and even had an all right cup of coffee in the Majors. Frank Thomas had missed 216 games in the previous 2 seasons.

Anybody actually second-guessing the Thome/Rowand trade is just looking for a fight. It was absolutely the right move.

Frater Perdurabo
01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Anderson proved he was unfit for a starting job when Ozzie played him every day for 3 months straight in 2006. That's 405 PA with a .225 BA, and 90 Ks.

Maybe, but 405 plate appearances in 2006 apparently wasn't enough to convince the organization he was unfit. Playing Mackowiak for significant innings in CF allowed enough uncertainty to remain about BA that they kept him on the roster and in the CF platoon mix in 2007 and 2008.

In hindsight, Ozzie should have let BA play the entire season in CF in 2006, sink or swim, because it would have shown KW once and for all - in 2006, before more seasons were wasted - that he was unable to hit MLB offspeed and breaking pitches. Ironically, this is the course of action BA supporters (myself included) endorsed at the time, albeit for different reasons.

MetroPD
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah, but I'll support Peavy since he's on my favorite team. Ozzie can kick rocks. :smile:
yep that about says it all. Jake is happy to be here and wants to win, how that can be considered a bad thing, I fail to understand

DirtySox
01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
OzzieGuillen Ozzie Guillen
Iam out the country now but i never quit in anything yes be ready when i talk going to be fun
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I will kill peoples fellings no mercy i turn the page but they no let me a long then get ready going to be bad

People want me to look bad but I so honest i wiil saynthe real true put u seat belt on

soltrain21
01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Iam out the country now but i never quit in anything yes be ready when i talk going to be fun

I will kill peoples fellings no mercy i turn the page but they no let me a long then get ready going to be bad

People want me to look bad but I so honest i wiil saynthe real true put u seat belt on

I, honestly, have no ****ing idea what he is saying in those tweets. More so than usual.

eriqjaffe
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I, honestly, have no ****ing idea what he is saying in those tweets. More so than usual.I assume that, when he's back in Chicago, he's going to rant semi-coherently about show ****ty the Sox treated him or something.

You know, the usual.

chisox12
01-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Now Peavy is tweeting more about this. Just shut the **** up already! I'm so sick of this guy....he's all talk. Just shut your ****ing mouth and stay healthy.

JB98
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM

No matter what he says, he quit on us last year. Results speak louder than words.

DirtySox
01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
No matter what he says, he quit on us last year. Results speak louder than words.

Yep.

I'm hoping he will soon begin the inevitable embarrassment of his new organization.

ChiSoxGal85
01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm hoping he will soon begin the inevitable embarrassment of his new organization.
:thumbsup: Is it wrong of me to want this to happen?

Honestly, if Ozzie really wanted, he could respond without being an *******. It can be done.

Domeshot17
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I would love for someone to just beat Ozzie's ass.

A. Cavatica
01-20-2012, 05:33 PM
While Jake is correct about Ozzie quitting on the team, he should've just kept his mouth shut.

russ99
01-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Blame who you want, but Earl Weaver couldn't have gotten last year's flawed team to the playoffs.

JB98
01-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Blame who you want, but Earl Weaver couldn't have gotten last year's flawed team to the playoffs.

Maybe not, but to call Ozzie's job performance horse**** last year would have been putting it kindly.

It was the worst managing job I've seen by a Sox manager in my lifetime.

It's too bad, too, because Ozzie did a good job his first five years here. I don't know what happened the last three years. He was a laughingstock and an embarrassment to me as a White Sox fan last year. Complete clown shoes.

GoGoCrede
01-20-2012, 06:54 PM
While Jake is correct about Ozzie quitting on the team, he should've just kept his mouth shut.

He was asked about it. Why not answer?

A. Cavatica
01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
He was asked about it. Why not answer?

Because the sooner the organization (and the city) forgets the embarrassment that was Ozzie, the better.

GoGoCrede
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Because the sooner the organization (and the city) forgets the embarrassment that was Ozzie, the better.

That'll be awhile, I'm afraid. :smile: Especially when he's still tweeting about the team.

yazz32
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Im not surprised this was going to happen. Certain Chicago media will not let the White Sox move on from Ozzie. Certain players will comment on Ozzie even though he is no longer the Sox manager. And we all know Ozzie will have his final say. All parties just need to leave the past in the past. Move on already! Get ready for 2012!

WhiteSox5187
01-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Maybe not, but to call Ozzie's job performance horse**** last year would have been putting it kindly.

It was the worst managing job I've seen by a Sox manager in my lifetime.

It's too bad, too, because Ozzie did a good job his first five years here. I don't know what happened the last three years. He was a laughingstock and an embarrassment to me as a White Sox fan last year. Complete clown shoes.

I think Ozzie just quit on the team once they started to struggle around May.

gobears1987
01-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Now Peavy is tweeting more about this. Just shut the **** up already! I'm so sick of this guy....he's all talk. Just shut your ****ing mouth and stay healthy.

Peavy can talk when he makes it a full season without hurting himself. I really wish we never traded for him. Then we'd still have Buehrle.

If Peavy just stays healthy one year, then he can say whatever he wants. As of now, he's even more annoying that Swisher was.

kufram
01-21-2012, 08:13 AM
It is ridiculous to put any kind qualifier on somebody speaking. You might not like it but Peavy or anyone else for that matter, including Ozzie, can't be gagged. People here wishing everyone else would forget Ozzie could try not jumping up and down every time his name is mentioned. It is very recent history and the participants are going to have things to say. It is human nature.

Why does anybody read Ozzie's tweets anyway? But if you choose to read them you should keep in mind that English is not his primary language and punctuation needs to be mentally installed. Then it will make some sense to you. You won't like it but you might understand it a little more.

What players, managers, and coaches, etc. say to the media or on blogs, tweets, or over the garden fence I find very boring and uninteresting unless they are talking about what goes on during a game. That's what I'm interested in. They can say whatever they like about anything else but I won't be paying much attention to it.

October26
01-21-2012, 08:37 AM
It is ridiculous to put any kind qualifier on somebody speaking. You might not like it but Peavy or anyone else for that matter, including Ozzie, can't be gagged. People here wishing everyone else would forget Ozzie could try not jumping up and down every time his name is mentioned. It is very recent history and the participants are going to have things to say. It is human nature.

Why does anybody read Ozzie's tweets anyway? But if you choose to read them you should keep in mind that English is not his primary language and punctuation needs to be mentally installed. Then it will make some sense to you. You won't like it but you might understand it a little more.

What players, managers, and coaches, etc. say to the media or on blogs, tweets, or over the garden fence I find very boring and uninteresting unless they are talking about what goes on during a game. That's what I'm interested in. They can say whatever they like about anything else but I won't be paying much attention to it.

Very well said, kufram.

Just want to add that the night Ozzie left, I immediately disconnected from him on Fakebook and since I rarely use Twitter, I no longer have to hear from Ozzie. Honestly, Ozzie said a lot of crap the first time when he left after playing 13 years for the Sox. I had to read it back then in both the english and spanish newspapers. And we all know that Ozzie came back as Sox manager and all was good again. My plan is to put Ozzie on ignore for now, until such time as he and the Sox make peace again.

kufram
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Very well said, kufram.

Just want to add that the night Ozzie left, I immediately disconnected from him on Fakebook and since I rarely use Twitter, I no longer have to hear from Ozzie. Honestly, Ozzie said a lot of crap the first time when he left after playing 13 years for the Sox. I had to read it back then in both the english and spanish newspapers. And we all know that Ozzie came back as Sox manager and all was good again. My plan is to put Ozzie on ignore for now, until such time as he and the Sox make peace again.

When time has put some perspective on things and what is being said now can be seen for the trivia that it is I'm sure that Ozzie will stand on the field again with Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, and many others (even Kenny Williams) when they are grey on top and be cheered deliriously by a full house for what they all achieved together in Chicago.

gobears1987
01-21-2012, 10:03 AM
When time has put some perspective on things and what is being said now can be seen for the trivia that it is I'm sure that Ozzie will stand on the field again with Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, and many others (even Kenny Williams) when they are grey on top and be cheered deliriously by a full house for what they all achieved together in Chicago.

That is true. The fact is he won a World Series. We will see Ozzie again in 2015, 2025, etc.

spawn
01-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Um...this is what he said:
Hey y'all enough please said it before & again now I Love @OzzieGuillen (https://twitter.com/#!/OzzieGuillen) and have all the respect in the world for him and his family
Really incendiary stuff there. People jumping up and down foaming at the mouth because Peavy spoke via Twitter again should probably read the actual tweets before commenting.

Boondock Saint
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Really incendiary stuff there. People jumping up and down foaming at the mouth because Peavy spoke via Twitter again should probably read the actual tweets befoe commenting.

Boom. Roasted.

#1swisher
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Ernest Shepards' perspective on OGs' decision to pitch Peavy in relief on June 25th, v the Nats. Jake, 3 days prior,threw 104 pitches, for a pitcher who relies heavily on his fastball and slider may have worn out his arm. Causing the rift between the two.
Thinks that free-agency status at seasons end will be motivation for Peavy to prove that he is healthy and ready to contribute.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1026150-can-jake-peavy-shake-his-past-injuries-to-help-the-chicago-white-sox?utm_campaign=marketing&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=br_whitesox

Gamethread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128786) Sox v Nats 6.25.11

GoGoCrede
01-21-2012, 01:35 PM

Really incendiary stuff there. People jumping up and down foaming at the mouth because Peavy spoke via Twitter again should probably read the actual tweets befoe commenting.

For real. Jeez, people just love to jump on Peavy for no reason sometimes.

SephClone89
01-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Bahahaha. :gulp:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
MOD EDIT

Interesting article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/fl-ozzie-guillen-miami-marlins-0121-20120120,0,5455133.story

I stopped reading at "White Sox consistently overachieved under Guillen".

I didn't know 3 winning seasons in 6 years following the World Series victory was "overachieving".

kufram
01-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, what could Jim Leyland and Manny Acta possibly know about managing an mlb team?

WhiteSox5187
01-21-2012, 06:05 PM

I didn't know 3 winning seasons in 6 years following the World Series victory was "overachieving".

In my humble opinion the Sox only under achieved under Ozzie in 2006 and 2011 and the reason they underachieved in 2006 was because the pitching was gassed and fell apart in the second half.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-21-2012, 06:10 PM

Agreed. If anything, they UNDERachieved. I still read the whole thing though lol

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
In my humble opinion the Sox only under achieved under Ozzie in 2006 and 2011 and the reason they underachieved in 2006 was because the pitching was gassed and fell apart in the second half.

True but 2004 (due to injuries). Not sure if that counts as underachieving though. 2010 you could say. I am still upset and always will be that after the 2005 season with the new look/style, nothing happened. Doesn't have to be the 1998-2000 Yankees but still.

WhiteSox5187
01-21-2012, 06:20 PM
True but 2004 (due to injuries). Not sure if that counts as underachieving though. 2010 you could say. I am still upset and always will be that after the 2005 season with the new look/style, nothing happened. Doesn't have to be the 1998-2000 Yankees but still.

2010 was disappointing but they exceeded my expectations. Had the Sox not lost Jenks, Putz and Thornton (though Jenks was awful that year) within a week maybe things would have been different.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-21-2012, 06:25 PM
2010 was disappointing but they exceeded my expectations. Had the Sox not lost Jenks, Putz and Thornton (though Jenks was awful that year) within a week maybe things would have been different.

True. I see your point.

And, the Twins actually did good that year. Not sneak in they did get 92 wins. Normally, we may have been able to beat them out for the central.

gosox41
01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Peavy can talk when he makes it a full season without hurting himself. I really wish we never traded for him. Then we'd still have Buehrle.

If Peavy just stays healthy one year, then he can say whatever he wants. As of now, he's even more annoying that Swisher was.

Don't blame Peavy, blame Kenny for trading for him. Everyone knew he was an arm injury waiting to happen.

Bob

doublem23
01-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Don't blame Peavy, blame Kenny for trading for him. Everyone knew he was an arm injury waiting to happen.

Ha, what? You can say that about any pitcher, Peavy had only been on the DL for arm-related injuries once in his career before the Sox aquired him. Also, less than a year before the Sox acquired him, the Padres nearly traded him to the Braves in a megadeal that would have netted San Diego several of Atlanta's top prospects. To say that nobody else was in on Peavy when we got him is either misinformation you've received or just a flat-out lie.

And Peavy deserves plenty of the blame for some of his health-related issues, he's been quoted at least a few times as saying that he's felt not 100% out there but tries to press through. The Sox have an excellent, EXCELLENT track record of keeping their players healthy, it's one of the few things this organization does head and shoulders better than anyone else. I think in the past 10 years, they've lost over 1,000 less games to DL time than the next closest team, in fact I believe the difference between the Sox and #2 is something like the difference between #2 and #20. And yet, Jake can't stay healthy. Bad luck? Maybe. His fault? Maybe.

#1swisher
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf issued a statement, saying he allowed Guillen to leave early.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-reinsdorf-gave-guillen-blessing-to-leave-sox-early-for-marlins-20120123,0,4528982.story

russ99
01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Agreed. If anything, they UNDERachieved. I still read the whole thing though lol

According to their actual roster vs. other teams who made the playoffs or some other bloated level of expectation after one title?

If anything the Sox overachieved considering the annual holes on the opening day roster and the usual April funk.

Again, should be really interesting if Ventura ends up getting similar complaints... FYI he's said Dunn is batting 5th and Rios 6th. Guess he's an idiot too. (teal)

SI1020
01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
For real. Jeez, people just love to jump on Peavy for no reason sometimes. No, not really. It just is helpful to produce big before you talk big. Also, even in this day of in your face 24/7 media sometimes it is much better to not speak at all.

GoGoCrede
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
No, not really. It just is helpful to produce big before you talk big. Also, even in this day of in your face 24/7 media sometimes it is much better to not speak at all.

The tweet I was referring to showed Ozzie respect. How is that big talk?

spawn
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
No, not really. It just is helpful to produce big before you talk big. Also, even in this day of in your face 24/7 media sometimes it is much better to not speak at all.
Um...yes really. You're doing it right now. As GoGo said, the tweet she was referring to was the one I posted where he's saying he respects Guillen. Real big talk there.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
JR today in a very unusual move issued a press release where he said Ozzie "did not" quit on the Sox this season, that Florida wanted him in town before the season ended so the Sox released him.

Like I said very, very unusual and doesn't address some of the other issues that took place. The statement seemed to be very limited in scope specifically addressing only the situation about why Ozzie didn't stay through the final two games.

It doesn't explain JR talking to the media in D.C. in 2010 telling reporters he told both Ozzie and Kenny they needed to work together and to keep things internal and it doesn't address a big one, Ozzie stating before the biggest series of the year, with Detroit with the Sox on a winning streak, that he didn't know if he could come back unless the Sox extended his deal.

Kenny has stated in the past that he was preparing for Ozzie's departure before the 2010 season began which if true, speaks volumes about how 'loyal' Ozzie really was.

Anyway just wanted to get this out there. Time for both parties to let it go.

Ozzie's gone, he's not returning, appreciate what he did in 2005 but it clearly was time for all sides to leave...just wish it had been less messy.

Lip

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
JR today in a very unusual move issued a press release where he said Ozzie "did not" quit on the Sox this season, that Florida wanted him in town before the season ended so the Sox released him.

Like I said very, very unusual and doesn't address some of the other issues that took place. The statement seemed to be very limited in scope specifically addressing only the situation about why Ozzie didn't stay through the final two games.

It doesn't explain JR talking to the media in D.C. in 2010 telling reporters he told both Ozzie and Kenny they needed to work together and to keep things internal and it doesn't address a big one, Ozzie stating before the biggest series of the year, with Detroit with the Sox on a winning streak, that he didn't know if he could come back unless the Sox extended his deal.

Kenny has stated in the past that he was preparing for Ozzie's departure before the 2010 season began which if true, speaks volumes about how 'loyal' Ozzie really was.

Ozzie's gone, he's not returning, appreciate what he did in 2005 but it clearly was time for all sides to leave...just wish it had been less messy.

Lip

Like I posted elsewhere, this is preventative damage control. Jerry is trying to smooth things over before Ozzie starts publicly ripping Peavy or anyone else in the organization and vice versa. He wants to be done with the circus act that is Ozzie Guillen. Time to move on and start acting like a serious and respectable organization. The Ozzie sideshow is in Miami. Let it remain there.

oldcomiskey
01-23-2012, 10:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/8445/white-sox-ok-with-ozzie-guillens-exit

hi im skot
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
This is news?

oldcomiskey
01-23-2012, 10:08 PM
I think JR is trying to get some of the heat off Williams and the way Ozzie left...

Harry Potter
01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Already discussed here: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132293&page=10

DirtySox
01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I think JR is trying to get some of the heat off Williams and the way Ozzie left...

He's trying to prevent the moronic ex-manager from publicly ripping on Peavy or anyone else in the organization and vice versa. Preventantive maintenance going on here. Keep the clown and his circus act in Miami. Time to move on and act like a big boy organization.

oldcomiskey
01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
my apologies then

hi im skot
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
my apologies then

My comment wasn't based on the fact that you posted the link, but that this is actually considered article-worthy. I mean, wasn't it pretty clear that everyone, including Ozzie himself, wanted out of Chicago?

Seems a little unnecessary.

oldcomiskey
01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
ESPN thought it was newsworthy enough

yazz32
01-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Looks like more from Jake. He's writing articles now..:scratch:

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Peavy-ready-for-bounce-back-season?blockID=636866&feedID=661&awid=7147823747014537727-914

spawn
01-23-2012, 10:35 PM

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Peavy-ready-for-bounce-back-season?blockID=636866&feedID=661&awid=7147823747014537727-914
It's a blog entry. He's not the first professional athlete to write one, nor will he be the last. :shrug:

GoGoCrede
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
It's a blog entry. he's not the first professional athlete to write one, nor will he be the last. :shrug:

Yep. BA wrote one a few years back. I assume many of them are asked to do it. And this entry is as Pollyanna as it gets. I liked it.

Nellie_Fox
01-24-2012, 12:44 AM
He's trying to prevent the moronic ex-manager from publicly ripping on Peavy or anyone else in the organization and vice versa. Preventantive maintenance going on here. Keep the clown and his circus act in Miami. Time to move on and act like a big boy organization.You're Reinsdorf's press secretary now? You know his motivation for this?

kufram
01-24-2012, 06:23 AM
This is news?

I agree. Where's the news here unless one wants to read their own spin into it to fit a scenario they prefer? Looks like JR just wants to put the record straight publicly because , hard as it is for some people to believe, he loves Ozzie and he really doesn't have a problem with what happened.

Saufley
01-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Let's all agree that it was time to get the cancer out of the clubhouse!

SI1020
01-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Um...yes really. You're doing it right now. As GoGo said, the tweet she was referring to was the one I posted where he's saying he respects Guillen. Real big talk there. I guess you just react to him differently than I do. Not a crime you know.

SephClone89
01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I guess you just react to him differently than I do. Not a crime you know.

"Yeah, well, y'know...that's just like, uhh, your opinion, man."

That doesn't really work in this situation.

Completely misreading and misinterpreting a straightforward and clear 140 character message isn'ta crime, but maybe it should be.

Bucky F. Dent
01-24-2012, 08:39 AM
ESPN thought it was newsworthy enough

ESPN is run by pinheads.

asindc
01-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Yawn.

asindc
01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

I think the point many are making here is that it seems that if Peavy announced that a cure for the common cold has been discovered and the discoverer asked him to announce it, some here would say that Peavy should keep his mouth shut.

kufram
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Let's all agree that it was time to get the cancer out of the clubhouse!

I can agree that the time had come for Ozzie to go, but clearly JR doesn't think Ozzie was a cancer in the clubhouse. Nobody from inside the clubhouse has suggested Ozzie was a cancer. Peavy has back pedaled. Mark Buehrle would not agree. A.J. would not, and there is no reason to think PK would. So, no, I don't agree that he was.

but yawn is my reaction also.

russ99
01-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I can agree that the time had come for Ozzie to go, but clearly JR doesn't think Ozzie was a cancer in the clubhouse. Nobody from inside the clubhouse has suggested Ozzie was a cancer. Peavy has back pedaled. Mark Buehrle would not agree. A.J. would not, and there is no reason to think PK would. So, no, I don't agree that he was.

but yawn is my reaction also.

If anything, the clubhouse was too loose, from the impressions I get.

As usual, after 6-8 years, the players start to tune the approach out, especially when the results (to them) are less than successful.

It was time for Ozzie to go, and hopefully both Ozzie and the Sox are more successful for the parting.

The Sox don't need the distraction, and Ozzie doesn't need anymore of this starting out with the Marlins. I hope we can just all move on.

Chez
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
I'd love for all the Ozzie stuff to just go away. I realize that is unlikely, if not impossible. Time to look forward and not back.

GoGoCrede
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM

Yes, we all know that. But we're pointing out how people react to him negatively when he's genuinely said something innocuous. That also isn't a crime.

spawn
01-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes, we all know that. But we're pointing out how people react to him negatively when he's genuinely said something innocuous. That also isn't a crime.
Exactly.

eriqjaffe
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Peavy-ready-for-bounce-back-season?blockID=636866&feedID=661&awid=7147823747014537727-914Don't quit your day job, Jake.

GlassSox
01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I'd love for all the Ozzie stuff to just go away. I realize that is unlikely, if not impossible. Time to look forward and not back.

:thumbsup:

Jerko
01-24-2012, 11:43 AM

I agree. Peavy, **** and get ready for THIS season.

Ozzie, worry about YOUR team.

Is that so hard?

SI1020
01-24-2012, 03:08 PM
"Yeah, well, y'know...that's just like, uhh, your opinion, man."

That doesn't really work in this situation.

Completely misreading and misinterpreting a straightforward and clear 140 character message isn'ta crime, but maybe it should be. You want me to send you my college transcripts? I'll leave out HS as I flunked chemistry. Peavy talks to much to suit me. If that offends then well OK. I'll clutch the hurt to my breast, shed a tear, and do my best to carry on like a good Englishman would.

GoGoCrede
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
You want me to send you my college transcripts? I'll leave out HS as I flunked chemistry. Peavy talks to much to suit me. If that offends then well OK. I'll clutch the hurt to my breast, shed a tear, and do my best to carry on like a good Englishman would.

I think you're taking this too personally. I don't know what your schooling has to do with anything. We're just defending Peavy.

Brian26
01-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Lip

To me, this is Reinsdorf's classy, public way to tell Ozzie to shut the **** up and start worrying about Miami.

Reinsdorf told Ozzie to leave before the final two days, but anyone who thinks he hadn't checked out months before that just doesn't watch baseball. Ozzie figuratively quit the team well before September 27.

gosox41
01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Ha, what? You can say that about any pitcher, Peavy had only been on the DL for arm-related injuries once in his career before the Sox aquired him. Also, less than a year before the Sox acquired him, the Padres nearly traded him to the Braves in a megadeal that would have netted San Diego several of Atlanta's top prospects. To say that nobody else was in on Peavy when we got him is either misinformation you've received or just a flat-out lie.

And Peavy deserves plenty of the blame for some of his health-related issues, he's been quoted at least a few times as saying that he's felt not 100% out there but tries to press through. The Sox have an excellent, EXCELLENT track record of keeping their players healthy, it's one of the few things this organization does head and shoulders better than anyone else. I think in the past 10 years, they've lost over 1,000 less games to DL time than the next closest team, in fact I believe the difference between the Sox and #2 is something like the difference between #2 and #20. And yet, Jake can't stay healthy. Bad luck? Maybe. His fault? Maybe.

Actually there were more then a few articles at the time where scouts were saying his mechanics were pretty bad.

Bob

Vernam
01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
To me, this is Reinsdorf's classy, public way to tell Ozzie to shut the **** up and start worrying about Miami.

Reinsdorf told Ozzie to leave before the final two days, but anyone who thinks he hadn't checked out months before that just doesn't watch baseball. Ozzie figuratively quit the team well before September 27.

Extremely well-said. :thumbsup:

Vernam