PDA

View Full Version : Loopholes In New CBA

Lip Man 1
01-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Which according to Jayson Stark is the reason the Yankees and Red Sox are being fiscally responsible this season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings120113/why-yankees-red-sox-spending-big

If I read this correctly and understood it, all the Yankees and Red Sox have to do is be under the new escalating tax threshhold for one year and their past "sins" get wiped clean.

That means they can then go back to spending 200 million a season on payroll and will only be considered a first time "offender" and get charged the lowest tax rate.

When you think about it that's really pretty sharp on their part. They can keep doing this every few seasons if they want to (unless the loopholes are negotiated out)

Lip

Fenway
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
https://www.teammarketing.com/public/files/2011_mlb_fci.pdf

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Using the fan index - Boston's ticket revenue is around $163,019,477 and the team in the past 10 years has tried to keep payroll around the ticket revenue mark.

If the fans of New England are willing to buy every ticket at a high cost, I would rather see the Red Sox spend the money on players than going into the owners pockets.

Yes the Red Sox have paid more tax than 28 other teams - but the Yankees have spent TEN TIMES more in tax than Boston.

Which according to Jayson Stark is the reason the Yankees and Red Sox are being fiscally responsible this season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings120113/why-yankees-red-sox-spending-big

If I read this correctly and understood it, all the Yankees and Red Sox have to do is be under the new escalating tax threshhold for one year and their past "sins" get wiped clean.

That means they can then go back to spending 200 million a season on payroll and will only be considered a first time "offender" and get charged the lowest tax rate.

When you think about it that's really pretty sharp on their part. They can keep doing this every few seasons if they want to (unless the loopholes are negotiated out)

Lip

doublem23
01-13-2012, 11:23 PM
I like how you just apparently ignore the roughly 1/2 of the article (who reads the 2nd half of **** anyway?) that suggests that maybe this is just the way that the new Yankee leadership is going to run the team now that George Steinbrenner is dead and buried. I mean, the threat of the luxury tax never really seemed to compel the Yankees to rein in their spending in the first place.

But either way, if this is the new carrot the MLB is trying to put out in front of big market teams to curb spending, then that's fine with me. Back in the day, if the Yankees wanted to park a truck in AJ Burnett's house full of $80 million, that was the way the world worked. I am fully supportive of any attempt to curtail the Yanks, Sawx, Angels, etc. from just throwing money around to prove they can. If those teams aren't just going to buy every available FA, then it will drive prices down for middle of the road teams and lower-payroll teams won't be completely shut out.

Fenway
01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
George picked a good year to die as estate taxes in 2010 were far less than other years. :?:

They have had some problems with the new stadium - for example the garages are bringing in far less than they thought. The new Metro-North station is now the preferred way for people to go from Westchester and Connecticut.

The amount of cash that YES generates is obscene but New York has more cable homes than anyone.

I like how you just apparently ignore the roughly 1/2 of the article (who reads the 2nd half of **** anyway?) that suggests that maybe this is just the way that the new Yankee leadership is going to run the team now that George Steinbrenner is dead and buried. I mean, the threat of the luxury tax never really seemed to compel the Yankees to rein in their spending in the first place.

But either way, if this is the new carrot the MLB is trying to put out in front of big market teams to curb spending, then that's fine with me. Back in the day, if the Yankees wanted to park a truck in AJ Burnett's house full of $80 million, that was the way the world worked. I am fully supportive of any attempt to curtail the Yanks, Sawx, Angels, etc. from just throwing money around to prove they can. If those teams aren't just going to buy every available FA, then it will drive prices down for middle of the road teams and lower-payroll teams won't be completely shut out.