PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Acquire Pineda for Montero

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 07:39 PM
JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman
montero is traded for pineda
33 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Wow.

Benefits both sides, but I love the return for the Yankees. That is a huge get for the rotation.

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 07:40 PM
JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman
trade involves more players than that tho. @StoneLarry suggested it first
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
GregJohnsMLB Greg Johns
No confirmation from team, but source says Mariners sending Pineda and Jose Campos to Yankees for Jesus Montero/Hector Noesi.
11 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

WhiteSox5187
01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Wow, if Hughes can come back healthy that Yankee rotation is going to be tough.

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Your move Boston.

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Also:

JackCurryYES Jack Curry
Big night for the Yankees. They have agreed to a 1-year deal with Kuroda, pending a physical. Deal will be between $10 and $11 million.
9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Yankees going after a hitter now too.

Huisj
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Does Seattle have a surplus of young pitching on the way that this makes sense for them to do? Their offense was horrendous last year for sure, but it's awfully tough to give up a guy like Pineda no matter what the return.

cws05champ
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Does Seattle have a surplus of young pitching on the way that this makes sense for them to do? Their offense was horrendous last year for sure, but it's awfully tough to give up a guy like Pineda no matter what the return.

Yes, they have 3-4 young studs on their way in James Paxton, Tijuan Walker and Danny Hultzen. However when they get seasoned enough in the majors, King Felix will probably be leaving.

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Yes on Seattle's pitching. Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen, and James Paxton. Walker has number one upside, while Hultzen and Paxton could be numbers twos. Despite this, Pineda is already close to reaching that potential. I like the deal better for NY, especially with Montero's lack of defensive value.

Huisj
01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe this makes sense if the Mariners think Smoak will never really hit like everyone thought. Is Montero a future first baseman?

Also, seems like New York has some pitching pieces to trade (not that they are all good) with them getting Pineda and also signing Kuroda.

DirtySox
01-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe this makes sense if the Mariners think Smoak will never really hit like everyone thought. Is Montero a future first baseman?

Also, seems like New York has some pitching pieces to trade (not that they are all good) with them getting Pineda and also signing Kuroda.

Montero is a future DH. One with 70/70 grades on his hit and power tools. Think .300 batting average with 30 HR's. He can hit. Can't do much else though.

And yes, the Yankees are like 7 deep right now in the SP department, with 2 very good pitching prospects in Banuelos and Betances who aren't that far off.

doublem23
01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
And yes, the Yankees are like 7 deep right now in the SP department, with 2 very good pitching prospects in Banuelos and Betances who aren't that far off.

Doesn't really count though when 5/7 of that depth suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Sabathia/Pinieda though. ****.

WhiteSox5187
01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Doesn't really count though when 5/7 of that depth suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Sabathia/Pinieda though. ****.

Phil Hughes is coming off an injury and was great in 2010. Ivan Nova was impressive last year too. If Nova improves and Hughes returns to form they have four very good starters.

doublem23
01-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Phil Hughes is coming off an injury and was great in 2010. Ivan Nova was impressive last year too. If Nova improves and Hughes returns to form they have four very good starters.

If you think Phil Hughes was "great" in 2010, you need to up your standards.

And god, please don't quote me his W-L record. I know he won 18 games. I haven't played organized baseball in like 14 years and I could probably walk on to the Yankees pitching staff this year and fall ass backwards into 18 wins.

WhiteSox5187
01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
If you think Phil Hughes was "great" in 2010, you need to up your standards.

And god, please don't quote me his W-L record. I know he won 18 games. I haven't played organized baseball in like 14 years and I could probably walk on to the Yankees pitching staff this year and fall ass backwards into 18 wins.

I would take a guy who is 25 and in his first full season in the big leagues struck out 7.5 for every nine innings and struck out 2.52 for every guy he walked. He wasn't great but damned impressive. Right now the Yankees have two without a doubt front end guys in CC and Pineada and two guys in Nova and Hughes who have the potential to be front end guys. I would hardly call that suuuuuuuucking.

doublem23
01-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I would take a guy who is 25 and in his first full season in the big leagues struck out 7.5 for every nine innings and struck out 2.52 for every guy he walked. He wasn't great but damned impressive. Right now the Yankees have two without a doubt front end guys in CC and Pineada and two guys in Nova and Hughes who have the potential to be front end guys. I would hardly call that suuuuuuuucking.

Me neither, that's not nearly enough u's. You really have to draw it out for the full affect.

cards press box
01-13-2012, 11:17 PM
JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman
montero is traded for pineda
33 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Wow.

Benefits both sides, but I love the return for the Yankees. That is a huge get for the rotation.

Yankees did OK but I really like the Seattle side of this deal. The Yanks have had one great hitting catcher after another for decades: Bill Dickey, Yogi Berra, Elston Howard, Thurman Munson and Jorge Posada. Those guys could all rake. So can Montero.

Montero might not be an average defensive catcher yet. All the same, I'm glad to see him leave the Bronx.

Lip Man 1
01-13-2012, 11:18 PM
They now have two of the top young pitchers in baseball (counting Nova...)

The rich get richer.

Put them down for another 95 wins. They make it seem easy don't they?

:(:

Lip

cws05champ
01-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Edwin Jackson and Scott Bora$$ just wet their pants. In the middle of negotiations with the Yanks and this drops.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Edwin Jackson and Scott Bora$$ just wet their pants. In the middle of negotiations with the Yanks and this drops.

I love it. Boras has really screwed up this offseason if you ask me. Fielder is still a FA, and his players aren't getting what they wanted. I can't believe anyone still wants this guy as their agent.

DSpivack
01-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Not only Pineda, but also signing Kuroda shows that they are likely done with their rotation. Their pitching staff may not be quite as good as the Rays next year, but it should be much better than Boston.

Domeshot17
01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Hughes doesn't need to be great, he just needs to be okay. With CC-Pineda-Kuroda 1-3, Hughes is a fine 4, with depth at the 5.

asindc
01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Hughes doesn't need to be great, he just needs to be okay. With CC-Pineda-Kuroda 1-3, Hughes is a fine 4, with depth at the 5.

Do you include AJ Burnett in that "depth at the 5?"

SephClone89
01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Nova's the 4. Hughes is on the bubble.

Domeshot17
01-14-2012, 01:54 PM

I have a hard time buying into Nova. Less then a 2:1 K:BB, not even 100Ks in 170 IP, I don't think he is a bad pitcher to have, but I think Hughes has far more talent if he comes back healthy.

Bucky F. Dent
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM

I'm not a big fan of Kuroda: I see it CC, Pineda, Nova

palehozenychicty
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm not a big fan of Kuroda: I see it CC, Pineda, Nova

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Burnett and Hughes. One or both of them could be the odd man out with Betances and Banuelos rising up.
I'd run on the field with CC, Pineda, and Nova as well. Garcia is fine as a five slot.

cws05champ
01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a hard time buying into Nova. Less then a 2:1 K:BB, not even 100Ks in 170 IP, I don't think he is a bad pitcher to have, but I think Hughes has far more talent if he comes back healthy.

If Hughes has his fastball velocity back into the 93-94 range as a starter he probably has a leg up to get into the rotation. If not they may flip him back into the bullpen where he was pretty darn good a couple years ago.....maybe his velocity plays up in short stretches.

Right now I see it as CC-Pineda-Kuroda-Burnett-Garcia with Nova and Hughes pushing to get in. Burnett knows his job is on the line, he will pitch better.

Bobby Thigpen
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I haven't played organized baseball in like 14 years and I could probably walk on to the Yankees pitching staff this year and fall ass backwards into 18 wins.
I have now read everything.