PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Ponson

Jjav829
07-19-2002, 12:26 PM
TORONTO - Add the Chicago White Sox to the list of teams that have expressed interest in acquiring Orioles starting pitcher Sidney Ponson.
With the White Sox opening a three-game series at Camden Yards tonight, industry sources say the Orioles will be taking a close look at Chicago's players in case a deal can be struck before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

Orioles vice president Syd Thrift has said he would have to be "overwhelmed" to trade one of his starting pitchers, but teams continue to inquire about Ponson, Jason Johnson and Scott Erickson.

When the White Sox fell 10 games behind the Minnesota Twins in the American League Central last week, it triggered the official beginning of their rebuilding phase. Like the Seattle Mariners, Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals, the White Sox remain intrigued with Ponson's potential.

The White Sox are reportedly shopping left fielder Carlos Lee, shortstop Royce Clayton, second baseman Ray Durham, center fielder Kenny Lofton, catcher Sandy Alomar and pitchers Todd Ritchie and Keith Foulke.

With the Orioles seeking a power hitter, their interest would likely center on first baseman Paul Konerko and designated hitter Frank Thomas.

Konerko entered last night ranked among the AL leaders in batting average (.324), home runs (22) and RBIs (75). Thomas, who has had well-publicized disputes inside the White Sox clubhouse, entered last night batting .245 with 14 home runs and 57 RBIs.

Thrift declined to comment on specific players, but he did make a telling comment this week about any player in general that he would add to this club.

"It has to be somebody who fits here," Thrift said. "We feel good about the parts we assembled, and there's no way you can overestimate the importance of chemistry."

Ponson (http://www.sunspot.net/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes19jul19.story?coll=bal%2Dsports%2Dbaseba ll)

Jerry_Manuel
07-19-2002, 12:33 PM
If there's anyone out there would take a gamble on Frank, its' the O's.

Jjav829
07-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
If there's anyone out there would take a gamble on Frank, its' the O's.

Exactly. The O's are one team who could take on his salary, and have the pitching that the Sox would want to get back in return. He would also give the O's a big name player that they seek. The only problem is I don't know if Frank would accept going to the O's. He says he wants to go to a contender, which as of now the O's are not.

Jerry_Manuel
07-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
The only problem is I don't know if Frank would accept going to the O's. He says he wants to go to a contender, which as of now the O's are not.

True.

Let's say he does accept a trade to the O's. Perhaps getting a new start will help him swing the bat better. If that does happen, what's to say the O's can't deal him for a package?

Jjav829
07-19-2002, 01:16 PM

True.

Let's say he does accept a trade to the O's. Perhaps getting a new start will help him swing the bat better. If that does happen, what's to say the O's can't deal him for a package?

Yeah I think a fresh start in a place like Baltimore might help him. He would once again be the main guy in the lineup (sorry Tony Batista :smile: ) rather than the 3rd. I think that might help his mindset. We know Frank always liked being the main guy on the Sox.

Also, its not like hes going to the Rays. He would be going to a team that does have good young pitching and the ability to spend on players. Then again, they do play in the same division with the Yankmees, and Red Sox.

Jerry_Manuel
07-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Also, its not like hes going to the Rays. He would be going to a team that does have good young pitching and the ability to spend on players. Then again, they do play in the same division with the Yankmees, and Red Sox.

The O's always manage to screw it up. He would want out very quickly.

Jjav829
07-19-2002, 01:26 PM

The O's always manage to screw it up. He would want out very quickly.

LOL true. The good thing is that KW would actually be trading with a GM that is just as bad as he is. Maybe Sid Thrift will ask if KW would trade Albert Belle for Sidney Ponson. :D:

:KW
A GM that is as stupid as me? WOW! Now this I must see.

steff
07-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Sidney here would be a GREAT addition to our rotation. Additionally, he's got a lot of heart, works hard, and isn't afraid to lead. I've been wanting this since 1999!! Hope it happens!

HawkDJ
07-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Frank for Ponson...

:hawk
That'll get the job done!

Dadawg_77
07-19-2002, 02:53 PM

Yeah I think a fresh start in a place like Baltimore might help him. He would once again be the main guy in the lineup (sorry Tony Batista :smile: ) rather than the 3rd. I think that might help his mindset. We know Frank always liked being the main guy on the Sox.

If Frank can figure out his swing and get it back, he is better hitter then anyone else on this team.

Jerry_Manuel
07-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If Frank can figure out his swing and get it back, he is better hitter then anyone else on this team.

What good will it do him next year on another rookie filled team?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2002, 03:15 PM
I guess I'm the only one who read the part about the O's interest centering on Paul Konerko.

This potential deal has the word "disaster" written all over it.

"Okay then, how about Ponson for Thomas and Konerko?"

Jjav829
07-19-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I guess I'm the only one who read the part about the O's interest centering on Paul Konerko.

This potential deal has the word "disaster" written all over it.

"Okay then, how about Ponson for Thomas and Konerko?"

I read that too. Im hoping that KW does have the smarts to realize that he should NOT trade Konerko. Im thinking more along the lines of a package with Lee rather than Thomas or Konerko. The article seemed to be just stating that Konerko and Thomas would be the O's main choice, not that either would be traded in the deal.

soxtalker
07-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Are you trying to say that we not trade Frank? Or are you saying that it wouldn't make sense for the Orioles? I'm guessing the former.

I will be sorry to see Frank go, but I think that we'd be better off if he was dealt away. In fact, I think that I'd be saying that even if he was having a very good year (and a very good year for Frank is great for others). Of course, then we'd be getting more in return. The problem is that we've struggled for many seasons with Frank as the designated hitter, since he really has trouble in the field. If we had a much deeper team, we could probably handle the one-dimensionality of Frank. But I think that we're a long way away from that kind of team.

LongDistanceFan
07-19-2002, 09:31 PM
i don't know about this trade. ponson, i was never too impress with him.

i like frank and paul where they are. what i also don't like is the trading of todd ritchie. granted we gave up too much, but lets stick with this guy. maybe he will come back to some semblance of what he was.

alohafri
07-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i don't know about this trade. ponson, i was never too impress with him.

i like frank and paul where they are. what i also don't like is the trading of todd ritchie. granted we gave up too much, but lets stick with this guy. maybe he will come back to some semblance of what he was.

What he was was a .500 pitcher...an "innings eater" who can only go three innings.

If Williams unloads Paulie for Ponson, I am converting my Sox stuff for Yankee stuff. I will be finished.

TheBigHurt
07-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by alohafri

If Williams unloads Paulie for Ponson, I am converting my Sox stuff for Yankee stuff. I will be finished.

how the hell can you convert to a yankee fan. :angry: anyone but them :angry:

SoxRule
07-19-2002, 11:30 PM
WOW! Ponson! Get your friggen World Series tickets.

Tragg
07-19-2002, 11:50 PM
Oh, hell yes, let's be sure to trade Paul Konerko for someone that Kenny Manuel "has had his eye on for a long time."

alohafri
07-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

how the hell can you convert to a yankee fan. :angry: anyone but them :angry:

Steinbrenner may very well be the biggest prick(ed finger) in sports, but he wins.

Reinsdork actually had me believing his comment that he would gladly trade his 6 Bulls' championships for one World Series championship. He reminds me of the owner of the Indians in "Major League". We are his tax write off.