PDA

View Full Version : Owners want Selig for another two years

#1swisher
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Buster Olney

Commissioner Bud Selig will be extended for at least another two years at the owners' meeting this week.

Fenway
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Buster Olney

Commissioner Bud Selig will be extended for at least another two years at the owners' meeting this week.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132174

pythons007
01-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a lot

Noneck
01-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Cant blame the owners, he has done well for them.

Fenway
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7446844/mlb-commissioner-bud-selig-offered-contract-extension-source-says

A friend is a flight attendant for NetJets and she has flown Bud often. Selig is considered a priority customer who only has to give the shortest of notices.

I know first hand the man answers his mail personally and I have yet to get a form letter from him.

I think at times he is unfairly blamed for the PED problem when it was Donald Fehr that would not allow testing.

asindc
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7446844/mlb-commissioner-bud-selig-offered-contract-extension-source-says

A friend is a flight attendant for NetJets and she has flown Bud often. Selig is considered a priority customer who only has to give the shortest of notices.

I know first hand the man answers his mail personally and I have yet to get a form letter from him.

I think at times he is unfairly blamed for the PED problem when it was Donald Fehr that would not allow testing.

I'm not a fan of Selig's at all, but I agree with this 100%. The players and their union reps have no one to blame but themselves for the resulting backlash.

Fenway
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm not a fan of Selig's at all, but I agree with this 100%. The players and their union reps have no one to blame but themselves for the resulting backlash.

Selig knew baseball could not afford another labor war and Fehr exploited that. It wasn't until Congress put the heat on that testing began.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
The book "The Lords of the Realm" by Pulitzer Prize winning reporter John Helyar tells you everything you need to know about "Proud To Be Your Bud..." if you didn't know enough about him after he voted against Bill Veeck trying to get the Sox back in 75' for his own personal, vindictive reasons.

Lip

HomeFish
01-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Selig has quietly become one of the best commissioners in all of sports, mostly because other commissioners have done stupid or terrible things in that stretch.

downstairs
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I thought Selig said he was retiring after his last contract expired?

WhiteSox5187
01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I thought Selig said he was retiring after his last contract expired?

He has said that for awhile now.

Railsplitter
01-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Selig will be the first posthumous commisioner

thomas35forever
01-10-2012, 07:37 PM
And we'll be treated to more of the same.

russ99
01-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Selig has quietly become one of the best commissioners in all of sports, mostly because other commissioners have done stupid or terrible things in that stretch.

As if Bud hasn't done stupid things...

Just off the top of my head - the steroids sham, the stupid all-star game homefield nonsense, the ridiculous scheduling with the vendor they moved to a few years ago, playoff games on cable, no world series day games.

But this year he's doing the stupidest with the forced Astros move and the extra playoff spots, AKA: Bud's gift to the networks so the Red Sox and Yankees can't miss the playoffs no matter how bad they are.

As much as I can't wait for Bud to go, I know we're just going to get another yes man for the owners as his replacement.

Fenway
01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
My nightmare is someone in this picture replaces Selig

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Yv4mRtz9n3E/Rrw129PadjI/AAAAAAAAAbM/QM4zTA46xR4/s400/george+bush+with+phili+fanatic.jpg

DSpivack
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
My nightmare is someone in this picture replaces Selig

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Yv4mRtz9n3E/Rrw129PadjI/AAAAAAAAAbM/QM4zTA46xR4/s400/george+bush+with+phili+fanatic.jpg

Why, would Philly would be too partial to the Phils as commish? Did the Brewers benefit greatly from Selig?

Fenway
01-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Why, would Philly would be too partial to the Phils as commish? Did the Brewers benefit greatly from Selig?

Phanatic I could live with - the former owner of the Rangers? :?:

DSpivack
01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Phanatic I could live with - the former owner of the Rangers? :?:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__NN6L_0B4b4/TQdr099E-mI/AAAAAAAAEBM/dkgyWR4xgTE/s1600/Thats_the_joke.jpg

:tongue:

Daver
01-11-2012, 12:16 AM
As if Bud hasn't done stupid things...

Just off the top of my head - the steroids sham, the stupid all-star game homefield nonsense, the ridiculous scheduling with the vendor they moved to a few years ago, playoff games on cable, no world series day games.

But this year he's doing the stupidest with the forced Astros move and the extra playoff spots, AKA: Bud's gift to the networks so the Red Sox and Yankees can't miss the playoffs no matter how bad they are.

As much as I can't wait for Bud to go, I know we're just going to get another yes man for the owners as his replacement.

Under his leadership the sport has set revenue levels that dwarf any numbers in any other period of the games history, including the level of shared revenue, that is the only thing that the owners care about. At the same time the game has had a labor peace that it has not had since the advent of free agency, and that is all the MLBPA cares about.

Like him or not, Bud is the most powerful commissioner the game has ever had, and replacing him will not be an easy task.

Fenway
01-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Under his leadership the sport has set revenue levels that dwarf any numbers in any other period of the games history, including the level of shared revenue, that is the only thing that the owners care about. At the same time the game has had a labor peace that it has not had since the advent of free agency, and that is all the MLBPA cares about.

Like him or not, Bud is the most powerful commissioner the game has ever had, and replacing him will not be an easy task.

The Milwaukee paper is hinting that Bud really wanted to walk away but the owners refused to even form a search committee to find a replacement.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/137037983.html

Daver
01-11-2012, 01:13 AM
The Milwaukee paper is hinting that Bud really wanted to walk away but the owners refused to even form a search committee to find a replacement.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/137037983.html

I know nothing about baseball.

Hitmen77
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM

More powerful than Kenesaw Mountain Landis?

Fenway
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Because he was a Federal Judge - Landis demanded a 'lifetime' contract which he got. The owners would never do that again.

Next came Happy Chandler who allowed Brooklyn to integrate. He was never offered a second term.

Ford Frick was a second rate sportswriter for a NY tabloid but did help get the Hall of Fame set up in Cooperstown. He became president of the NL and then was appointed when Chandler was 'fired'.

When Frick retired they found William Eckert - who to this day nobody really knows how or why he was hired. Researchers at the New York Times couldn’t find anything of note on the him in their vast files. He lasted one term.

Bowie Kuhn thought he was the smartest man in the room and let everyone know that. It is ironic that his campaign to stop drug use by players let to him not being rehired.

Peter Ueberroth showed the owners how to really make money. He is the person who convinced owners that collusion was the only way to stop the players. He more than anybody got Donald Fehr to become the pitbull that caused the 94 strike even though he resigned when collusion was exposed.

Bart Giamatti is the great unknown. He died 5 months after getting the job at the age of 51 ( He would be 73 today ) He loved the game but he was no wimp when dealing with labor issues as he proved when he was President of Yale. However I don't think the 1994 strike would have happened under his watch.

He banned Pete Rose from the game - to this day we don't know what he told Rose because Pete stopped fighting and accepted his fate. A week later he was dead. :(:

Fay Vincent was Giamatti's trusted friend and was given the job. He was unpredictable in what he would do. He saved Joe West's career when after Cowboy Joe assaulted a Phillies player he overruled Bill White who wanted to banish West. He inadvertently helped create the Yankees dynasty by banishing Steinbrenner for 2 years.

He publicly called Selig and JR thieves on the collusion issue. He was a hardliner on drug use ( see Steve Howe ) but what did him in was trying to move the Cubs and St. Louis to the NL West and Atlanta and Cincinnati to the East. He was fired. (Maybe the only time JR and the Tribune worked together)

Since then Bud has run baseball.

Daver
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Bud Selig did away with the league presidents, and moved their power to his office, so that all appeals on any topic are decided solely by him. He broke the umpires union and created a new union with the commissioner of baseball as it's leader, giving himself control over officiating. Against the owners wishes he took a hard line stance on PEDs, and used congress to force the MLBPA into agreeing to the strictest drug policy in all of professional sports.

The sport has grown in revenue by huge amounts since he took over, and he has arranged it so that all league revenue is disbursed as seen fit by the commissioner of baseball, and he started out in the red because of the collusion settlement that was paid out to the MLBPA.

The last two CBA's were reached without even a hint of a work stoppage, or the possibility of one, even though they included sweeping changes that had to be negotiated with an MLBPA that in the past resisted change vehemently.

He is easily the most powerful commissioner the game has ever had, his control of the game is pretty much absolute.

Fenway
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Selig also recognized the sheer power of the internet long before the other sports. Websites that had been run by the teams themselves all went to the same template and server at the start of 2001.

Remember when?

SI1020
01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Next came Happy Chandler who allowed Brooklyn to integrate. He was never offered a second term.
That might be a nice feel good idea but I doubt it had much to do with Chandler not having his contract renewed. Two of Chandler's strongest allies, Connie Mack and Walter Briggs Sr, were ardently opposed to integration while William DeWitt, the second owner in the American League to integrate, voted against him. Chandler made some tough controversial decisions during his time as Commissioner. He imposed a five year ban on those who signed with the upstart Mexican League. He worked behind the scenes to crush an attempt to organize the Pittsburgh Pirates into a labor guild. He suspended manager Leo Durocher for "conduct detrimental to baseball" In 1949 he was forced to back down from his edict on players who signed with the Mexican League because it put the reserve clause in legal jeopardy. In 1951 he voided a trade between the White Sox and Yankees involving outfielder Dick Wakefield, greatly angering Yankees owner Del Webb. It also didn't help that Chandler was conducting investigations of Webb and Cardinals owner Fred Saigh for their alleged connections to gambling interests. Give credit to Chandler for his important role in integrating baseball, but he wasn't sacrificed on that altar. By 1951 the integration of baseball was a given. Chandler made his share of tough calls, and when you do that you make powerful enemies.

#1swisher
01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
JonHeymanCBS

selig was approved by owners in a 29-1 vote.

the 1 owner who voted against selig was moores of sd. he is
steamed. he wants out. (and so far can't get out)

https://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#!/JonHeymanCBS