PDA

View Full Version : Jays designate Teahen for assignment

eriqjaffe
01-09-2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/blue-jays-designate-mark-teahen-for-assignment.html

kittle42
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
That is one quality player.

LITTLE NELL
01-09-2012, 11:44 AM
That's a surprise.

Bucky F. Dent
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
:o:

Foulke You
01-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Teahen is not the greatest but he does have some value as a bench player. He can play 3B, 1B, outfield, and he hits left handed. This is certainly not worth $5 million to most teams but I'm surprised the Jays aren't keeping him for a utility role.:scratch:

01-09-2012, 12:32 PM
I bet he returns to KC.

gobears1987
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I bet he returns to KC.

Where he will proceed to kill the Sox while sucking against every one else.

VMSNS
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Terrible ballplayer...but a really classy dude. I got Mark's autograph at Spring Training in Glendale last year. He was the only player/coach who stayed and signed everyone's stuff. Really nice guy, too.

I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands. I'm sure some team will have use for a veteran utility guy.

eriqjaffe
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Where he will proceed to kill the Sox while sucking against every one else.He did that pretty effectively while he was on the Sox, as well.

TDog
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
I bet he returns to KC.

He could return to Oakland, where he was a first-round draft pick long ago. But "designated for assignment" is not "released." Should he be released, he would be attractive to a team that likes to pay players the minimum while other teams pay them millions (sort of a poor man's Carlos Zambrano).

Teahen was one of the centerpieces of a three-way deal in which the A's got Octavio Dotel and the Astros got Carlos Beltran. His stock has dropped appreciably since he was an A's prospect in Modesto.

Teahen actually got off to a good start as a DH for the White Sox last season, filling in for Adam Dunn after the emergency surgery. He was hitting well before going down with an injury. Defensively he wasn't great. He dropped a fly ball in left to bring in a run (though he wasn't the April leader in that category for the White Sox) in a game against the Royals, but he made a nice play at first to save the game, that the White Sox eventually won.

Teahen is a pretty good left-handed hitter, or at least he could be if he avoided the all-too-common nagging injuries that have plagued his career. Kenny Williams was probably considering his offensive potential when he traded for him. But defensively, he doesn't look like he'll ever develop into a someone who will play every day in one spot for a winning team.

BeeBeeRichard
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Seems like the kind of player who'd be better off on a small-market NL team.

gobears1987
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Mark Teahen, another garbage player selected by Billy Beane's garbage "Moneyball" system that Kenny Williams was dumb enough to trade for.

RadioheadRocks
01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Where he will proceed to kill the Sox while sucking against every one else.

He did that pretty effectively while he was on the Sox, as well.

Absolutely right, killed the Sox both internally and externally. Wilson Betemit also falls in that category.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I think if he was used in his proper role with the Sox, a bench guy playing no more than twice a week, I think he would have worked out fine.

The issue though like with other players under Ozzie was that by chance or design he was used far more than he should have.

This guy was not a starter (much like Mark Kotsay) and was overused.

Lip

thomas35forever
01-09-2012, 08:28 PM
He's not gonna be around the game much longer I think.

DrCrawdad
01-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I started to select comments here to respond to where I was mainly going to say, "I agree" and found that I agree with just about everything said here.

I don't know if it was Ozzie or if it was pressure from above but above but if the Sox are paying you well the Sox are going to play you. It's Teahen. It's Rios. It's Linebrink. It's Dunn.

Maybe Kenny will pick-up Teahen and give him another 3 year extension...still scratching my head why Kenny Williams still is the Sox GM...

:scratch:

tstrike2000
01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Maybe KW will try to pick him up again only to eventually be traded for a bag of feces.

Mohoney
01-10-2012, 03:43 AM
I think if he was used in his proper role with the Sox, a bench guy playing no more than twice a week, I think he would have worked out fine.

The issue though like with other players under Ozzie was that by chance or design he was used far more than he should have.

Lip

He was making $5 million per season. There was no possibility of him playing only twice a week.

gobears1987
01-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Lip

You can't pin this on Ozzie. Kenny was the fool that decided to give him a large contract.

russ99
01-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Lip

Kenny didn't pay him a bench guy's salary.

He was brought in to take over 3B left vacant after Crede's departure and after they moved Beckham to 2B. Sadly, Kenny didn't realize he couldn't defend the position.

I was hoping things would come together better for him at the plate to make up for defensive shortcomings, but it wasn't to be.

Goes to show past performance doesn't guarantee future performance. Ahem... Adam Dunn?

Lip Man 1
01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Which doesn't make my point invalid does it? Teahen would have been better served as a good reserve guy not as a starter.

Yes Kenny overpaid him but Ozzie's was the manager no? At least that's what he always said, "I make out the ****ing lineup card..."

And if money is (was) the deciding factor how do you explain Kenny's comment about playing the players who give the team the best shot to win last season in reference to Dunn and Rios?

If he was willing to take the heat for signing them and not playing them at that time, don't you think the policy was the same then? Or are you saying something changed?

If you are I'd like to hear your theories on what did and why?

My comment was based purely on the baseball perspective of Mark's situation.

Lip

Milw
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't know if it was Ozzie or if it was pressure from above but above but if the Sox are paying you well the Sox are going to play you. It's Teahen. It's Rios. It's Linebrink. It's Dunn.

Kenny is on public record as saying he instructs his manager to play the best lineup regardless of salary or contract status. Sure, it's possible that he says that publicly and says the opposite privately, but seems like Ozzie would have said as much on his bridge-burning tour out of town, and he didn't. So I tend to take Kenny at his word on that.

TDog
01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Which doesn't make my point invalid does it? Teahen would have been better served as a good reserve guy not as a starter.

Yes Kenny overpaid him but Ozzie's was the manager no? At least that's what he always said, "I make out the ****ing lineup card..."

And if money is (was) the deciding factor how do you explain Kenny's comment about playing the players who give the team the best shot to win last season in reference to Dunn and Rios?

If he was willing to take the heat for signing them and not playing them at that time, don't you think the policy was the same then? Or are you saying something changed?

If you are I'd like to hear your theories on what did and why?

My comment was based purely on the baseball perspective of Mark's situation.

Lip

Obviously, Teahen was acquired and extended as the team's regular third baseman to fill the vacancy left by Crede's departure. The reality is, he never was the team's regular third baseman after the beginning of the 2010 season. Teahen played fewer than 80 games for the Sox in 2010, and he started less than 50 at third base, in large part because he was injured fairly early in the season -- still, Vizquel didn't lose the job to Teahen when Teahen came back. Vizquell, who was hired as a utility infielder, ended up starting more than 60 games at third. By the end of the season, Morel was at third.

The truth is, Teahen, after the early part of the 2010 season, always was a part-time player for the White Sox. And he failed there as well. Fans can't blame Guillen for insisting on playing him as a regular when that was abandoned fairly early in Teahen's White Sox tenure. Fans can't blame Williams for demanding Guillen play him as a regular.

It is rather pointless to argue that Teahen would have done better with the White Sox if he had been used off the bench instead of playing every day or debate who was the bigger idiot for playing Teahen every day when, in fact, he didn't play every day.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
T-Dog:

Valid pont. So allow me to correct my statement from "starter" to "being played far to much."

Him playing as much as he did falls on Ozzie in my opinion for continuing to play him in the first place. Not on Kenny possibly ordering him too.

I think Mark would have been productive once or twice a week, no more.

Lip

Whitesox029
01-13-2012, 02:44 AM
...Should he be released, he would be attractive to a team that likes to pay players the minimum while other teams pay them millions (sort of a poor man's Carlos Zambrano)...
By which you mean, "a sane Carlos Zambrano".

eriqjaffe
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Follow-up, Teahen's been given his unconditional release:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/blue-jays-release-mark-teahen.html

slavko
01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Follow-up, Teahen's been given his unconditional release:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/blue-jays-release-mark-teahen.html

Somebody's paying somebody $5.5M to watch Judge Judy for a year. Would we have done the same?

RCWHITESOX
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Seems like the kind of player who'd be better off on a small-market NL team.

Sounds like Cubs material. Their starting 1B

LITTLE NELL
01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Obviously, Teahen was acquired and extended as the team's regular third baseman to fill the vacancy left by Crede's departure. The reality is, he never was the team's regular third baseman after the beginning of the 2010 season. Teahen played fewer than 80 games for the Sox in 2010, and he started less than 50 at third base, in large part because he was injured fairly early in the season -- still, Vizquel didn't lose the job to Teahen when Teahen came back. Vizquell, who was hired as a utility infielder, ended up starting more than 60 games at third. By the end of the season, Morel was at third.

The truth is, Teahen, after the early part of the 2010 season, always was a part-time player for the White Sox. And he failed there as well. Fans can't blame Guillen for insisting on playing him as a regular when that was abandoned fairly early in Teahen's White Sox tenure. Fans can't blame Williams for demanding Guillen play him as a regular.

It is rather pointless to argue that Teahen would have done better with the White Sox if he had been used off the bench instead of playing every day or debate who was the bigger idiot for playing Teahen every day when, in fact, he didn't play every day.

I was at the game that he got hurt, a Sunday afternoon win in late May at Tampa Bay. It still puzzles me how he hurt his hand that day as all the plays he made seemed routine. I do remember he hit the ball hard that day and I said to myself this guy is coming around. The day he injured himself he was 3rd on the team in BA at .255 which isn't saying much but the team was in its usual early season funk. Wonder what would have happened if he didn't get hurt. I think about a week later we went on that 25-5 hot streak that put us in first place for awhile.

SephClone89
01-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I was at the game that he got hurt, a Sunday afternoon win in late May at Tampa Bay. It still puzzles me how he hurt his hand that day as all the plays he made seemed routine. I do remember he hit the ball hard that day and I said to myself this guy is coming around. The day he injured himself he was 3rd on the team in BA at .255 which isn't saying much but the team was in its usual early season funk. Wonder what would have happened if he didn't get hurt. I think about a week later we went on that 25-5 hot streak that put us in first place for awhile.

I believe he hurt his hand sliding into second or third.

Was that the same day Jayson Nix hit a grand slam?

LITTLE NELL
01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
I believe he hurt his hand sliding into second or third.

Was that the same day Jayson Nix hit a grand slam?

Yes it was, and it was no cheapie.

eriqjaffe
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Just for some closure on this, Teahen has been signed to a minor-league contract by the Nats.

At least, per MLB Trade Rumors.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/nationals-sign-mark-teahen.html

BleacherBandit
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Read this as "Jays designate team for assignment".