PDA

View Full Version : August '83 pitching question

nwisox
01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
In August of '83 Randy Martz (who was part of the Tidrow, Fletcher, Trout trade with the Cubs) got his only start in a Sox uniform. A few days later during a double header at Tiger Stadium, Tidrow got a rare start in game 1. In game 2, Al Jones made his debut in relief of Koosman.

So I cant remember the specifics of these two appearences (Martz and Jones). Which regulars were hurt?

johnny_mostil
01-07-2012, 10:43 PM
In August of '83 Randy Martz (who was part of the Tidrow, Fletcher, Trout trade with the Cubs) got his only start in a Sox uniform. A few days later during a double header at Tiger Stadium, Tidrow got a rare start in game 1. In game 2, Al Jones made his debut in relief of Koosman.

So I cant remember the specifics of these two appearences (Martz and Jones). Which regulars were hurt?

Britt Burns was working through some health/effectivity issues.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/VCHA01983.htm

nwisox
01-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Yeah I was looking at retrosheet too the other day and it looked like Martz maybe replaced one Burns start. I looked again now and I see Burns appeared in relief in game 1 of that DH.....and picked up the win too!!

Do you remember the specifics of his health in 8/83, my memory has faded. He was coming off shoulder surgery he had in the off season right?

Falstaff
01-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Yeah I was looking at retrosheet too the other day and it looked like Martz maybe replaced one Burns start. I looked again now and I see Burns appeared in relief in game 1 of that DH.....and picked up the win too!!

Do you remember the specifics of his health in 8/83, my memory has faded. He was coming off shoulder surgery he had in the off season right?

Yes I remember August '83. Burns went thru a few starts ineffective and complained of feeling "dead arm" so they skipped a start, lightened his load.
I remember reading about it in the trib, tho dont have the link. As a youngster I did not know what he meant by "dead" arm and that concerned me.

TDog
01-08-2012, 02:18 AM
At one time, Randy Martz was such a hot prospect. He was a Cubs first-round draft pick, and he was still thought of as a great pickup when he came to the Sox. But he was released after the 1983 season, and kicked around in the Astros, Braves and Cubs systems for a couple of years but never got back to the majors.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Couple things on this:

The Tigers DH as I remember was a make up from an earlier rain out. The Sox were playing a number of games in a short period of time and they wanted the extra help.

Burns had shoulder issues that spring caused in part because he slept in a funny position with the air conditioner on in his room (That's not me that was the story...) His bigger issue however was dealing with the loss of his dad that previous off season. It was still bothering him mentally and he wasn't over it at the start of the year.

LaRussa, Duncan and a number of the vets on the team, guys like Luzinski and Marc Hill, worked with Britt, talked to him, kept him involved so that eventually he could get over the loss and start pitching the way he was capable of. In 83 Britt fired a one hitter and led the team in shutouts.

The Sox starting pitching that year was the best in the league but they also had remarkable depth. Because of moves made by Roland, they had seven starters on the spring training roster who had each won at least 10 games in a big league season...Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister, Burns, Koosman, Martz and Steve Mura who was in the World Series that previous year with the Cards.

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
01-08-2012, 03:04 PM
You fellas scare me. I can't remember the starting lineup from last year's opening day, and you guys are going on about games that happened almost 30 years ago!

DumpJerry
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
You fellas scare me. I can't remember the starting lineup from last year's opening day, and you guys are going on about games that happened almost 30 years ago!
Turn in your White Sox fan card at the door.:redneck

white sox bill
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Hell I cant recall what i had for lunch yesterday!!

tacosalbarojas
01-09-2012, 02:15 PM
You fellas scare me. I can't remember the starting lineup from last year's opening day, and you guys are going on about games that happened almost 30 years ago!'83 was one of those special special years. I remember all these issues with Burns very well as well. Ask me what was going on in August of '88, I might have more trouble remembering.

EastCoastSoxFan
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Ask me what was going on in August of '90 and I'll fondly recall witnessing the major-league debut of a certain future Hall-of-Famer during the front end of a doubleheader in Milwaukee...

Brian26
01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Ask me what was going on in August of '90 and I'll fondly recall witnessing the major-league debut of a certain future Hall-of-Famer during the front end of a doubleheader in Milwaukee...

Am I crazy, or did Alex Fernandez get called up on the same day as Frank and actually start the game?

johnny_mostil
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Turn in your White Sox fan card at the door.:redneck

Yeah, really!

Many of us middle-aged White Sox fans still resent the terrible decision to give Joe Charboneau the 1980 Rookie of the Year award that should have gone to Britt Burns.

Youngsters should look at Burns' first two full seasons. ERAs in the mid 2's.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Brian:

You're not crazy. He started game #2 of the DH and pitched well although I don't think he got the win.

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Actually, he started game 1 of the DH. He went 7+ and got a no-decision thanks to Barry (the Vulture) Jones. I believe Frank had an RBI on a groundout. Neither played in the second game (which the Sox also won).

BeeBeeRichard
01-10-2012, 07:03 PM

And a triple off the right-field wall the next day for his first major league hit.

nwisox
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Rather than posting another thread about August of 83'....

What was The Bulls injury in August of 83'?

For awhile there Walker was the DH in the cleanup spot. While Wimpy played first. Stegman was brought up and platooned in center with Law.

gaelhound
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I remember LaRussa went to long with Britt in the Championship Series and cost us the Game. Tito took him deep and this is not second guessing, I was there and am on record of having said, his hip is hurting, time for the bullpen before the homer.

tebman
01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I remember LaRussa went to long with Britt in the Championship Series and cost us the Game. Tito took him deep and this is not second guessing, I was there and am on record of having said, his hip is hurting, time for the bullpen before the homer.

:gah:

I was there too! We had standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. I'll never forget how quiet the ballpark was after Landrum's homer.

Yeah, Burns pitched too long. But what gnaws at me from that game was Luzinski's at-bat in the bottom of the 10th when he watched three pitches go by for strikes. I still can't believe that.

:thud:

Vernam
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
:gah:

I was there too! We had standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. I'll never forget how quiet the ballpark was after Landrum's homer.

Yeah, Burns pitched too long. But what gnaws at me from that game was Luzinski's at-bat in the bottom of the 10th when he watched three pitches go by for strikes. I still can't believe that.

:thud:

I agree, seeing Luzinski too scared to swing was the worst part. I was sitting in the left field UD, same row where Landrum's HR landed. Felt bad for Burns, worse for my dad -- ended up being the closest they got to the Series before he passed away.

Vernam