Cleveland Indians 1901 to present Bob Feller

Detroit Tigers 1901 to present Ty Cobb

Washington Senators 1 1901 to 1960 Walter Johnson
Minnesota Twins 1961 to present Kirby Puckett
Best overall Twin Walter Johnson

Baltimore Orioles 1 1901 to 1902 Joe McGinnity
NewYork Yankees 1903 to present Babe Ruth
Best overal Yankee Babe Ruth

Philadelphia Athletics 1901 to 1954 Lefty Grove, Jimmy Foxx (tie)
KansasCity Athletics 1955 to 1967 Norm Siebern
Oakland Athletics 1968 to present Rickey Henderson
Best overall Athletic Lefty Grove

Los Angeles Angels 1961 to present Garret Anderson

Washington Senators 2 1961 to 1971 Frank Howard
Texas Rangers 1972 to present Ivan Rodriguez
Best overall Ranger Ivan Rodriguez

Houston Astros 1962 to present Jeff Bagwell

NewYork Mets 1962 to present Tom Seaver

KansasCity Royals 1969 to present Goerge Brett

Seattle Pilots 1969 only Don Mincher
Milwaukee Brewers 1970 to present Robin Yount
Best overall Brewer Robin Yount

SanDiego Padres 1969 to present Tony Gwynn

Montreal Expos 1969 to 2004 Andre Dawson....changed pick to Vladimer Guerrero
Washington Nationals 2005 to present Ryan Zimmerman
Best overall National Vladimer Guerrero.....changed pick due to I was wrong picking Dawson

Seattle Mariners 1977 to present Ken Griffey J.R.

Toronto BlueJays 1977 to present Carlos Delgado,Roy Halladay (tie)

Colorado Rockies 1993 to present Todd Helton

Florida Marlins 1993 to present Miguel Caberra

Arizona DiamondBacks 1998 to present Randy Johnson

TampaBay Rays 1998 to present Carl Crawford

LITTLE NELL
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Pretty good picks but I would have to go with Harmon Killebrew over Puckett for the Twins pick.
I would bet that most Cub fans would go with Ernie Banks.

chicagowhitesox1
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah that was a tough call for the Twins. Killebrew actually is a lot better than some may think. I think he ended up with a 375 obp. I picked Puckett because he won those 2 ws for em. I liked the fact that he wasn't a liability in the field either. Yeah I know Banks deff is the more popular choice but that Cap Anson was a heck of a player.

I deff picked the two jerks out of the 4. Anson being a huge racist and Pucket with his assaults on women.

Bucky F. Dent
01-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Was about to make a comment about the potential for Ichiro to one day eclipse Griffey in Seattle lore. Then I realized, he's 37!:o:

LITTLE NELL
01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Just noticed you are a newcomer, welcome to the home of the best and most knowledgable White Sox fans on the planet.

chicagowhitesox1
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks yeah this is a really nice site. I've learned a lot already from everything i've read just in the past few days. I don't think I've ever seen a team baseball site better than this one.

DumpJerry
01-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks yeah this is a really nice site. I've learned alot already from everything i've read just in the past few days. I dont think i've ever seen a team baseball site better than this one.
There isn't one.:D:
:welcome:

TommyJohn
01-06-2012, 05:18 PM
I'd go with Ernie Banks over Anson. Anson's racism would have nothing to do with it for me. Sure, Banks would be the "popular" choice, but he was also a great player.

SephClone89
01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Bonds over Mays? Get real.

Fenway
01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Pretty good picks but I would have to go with Harmon Killebrew over Puckett for the Twins pick.
I would bet that most Cub fans would go with Ernie Banks.

Not Ron Santo?

DumpJerry
01-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Bonds over Mays? Get real.
I with you 100% on this sentiment.

DumpJerry
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Ted Williams for the Red Sox is a close call over Babe Ruth of the Red Sox.

Fenway
01-06-2012, 06:21 PM

and the Boston Braves
http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/tdgh-jun/Babe%20Ruth%20in%20Braves%20Uniform%202.jpg

SephClone89
01-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Can't agree there. Ruth played in Boston for about five seasons. He was a great pitcher, but come on.

Bobby Thigpen
01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
and the Boston Braves
http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/tdgh-jun/Babe%20Ruth%20in%20Braves%20Uniform%202.jpg
And he was terrible with them.

If we're counting him, Willie Mays is the greatest Met ever.

Fenway
01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Can't agree there. Ruth played in Boston for about five seasons. He was a great pitcher, but come on.

Williams was larger than life. He may have been more popular in retirement than when he played.

Classic Williams interview

http://bobbyorr.net/videos/view.php?s=Interviews/&v=1992-Interview%20With%20Ted%20Williams%20and%20Larry%20 Bird

eastchicagosoxfan
01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I like your list. My different players:

Pete Alexander for the Phillies. Arguably the greatest right handed pitcher in history.
Jackie Robinson for Brooklyn (Not for breaking the color barrier, he was really good)

Reggie over Rickey. Reggie stirred the drink in Oakland first.

I would put Grove ahead of Foxx. Grove might be the greatest pitcher of all time.

Mays over Bonds. The Giants never quite had an answer to the pitching the Dodgers had, and the Giants with Mays were 1-1 in the Series.

Rogers Hornsby>Stan Musial???? I don't know, but Hornsby was amazing for several years.

LITTLE NELL
01-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Not Ron Santo?

Hey, you never know about Cub fans.

chicagowhitesox1
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Mays was a probaly the 3rd best player of all time but after 1966 he really slowed down for the Giants so he gets kinda screwed over from playing in NewYork and SanFransico where Bonds as much as I dislike like him is pretty tough to beat especially with a ops plus of 199. I hate to put a admitted steroid user on this list but he really was that good. I guess you could go either way because without the roids who knows when Bonds woulda started to age.

Pete Alexander was good but he just didnt pitch for the Phillies long enough if he had played in Philadelphia his whole career he woulda been my number 1 choice.

The one I almost wanna change is Bob Feller. I think Nap Lajoie is just as deserving but since Feller lost 4 years to WW2 i'm not gonna hold that against him.

Reggie Jackson was great in Oakland but Rickey Henderson was there I think 14 years while Jackson only 8. With that pick I chose the longitivity and just how great Rickey Henderson was at getting on base.

Roger Hornsby had the much better peak in St. Louis but Musial was there his whole career and he really is for some reason underated.

Jackie Robinson is the one I had a hard time not choosing. He probaly was more valuable to Brooklyn than Snider. It came down to how Jackie Robinson started to slow down his final years whereas Snider had very strong years in 56 and 57.

Brian26
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM

Better than Dave Kingman? GET REAL!

PalehosePlanet
01-07-2012, 12:34 AM

And Steve Carlton the greatest White Sox ever.

Question to the OP: A franchise is the same team/franchise regardless of where they eventually moved. Why separate the players by the cities they played in? Willie Mays is the greatest Giant ever, period. He's not on your list because he played a few years in NY? Doesn't make sense.

Also, welcome to WSI!

chicagowhitesox1
01-07-2012, 12:59 AM

Question to the OP: A franchise is the same team/franchise regardless of where they eventually moved. Why separate the players by the cities they played in? Willie Mays is the greatest Giant ever, period. He's not on your list because he played a few years in NY? Doesn't make sense.

Also, welcome to WSI!

Thanks for welcome

I did it like that basically because of teams like the old Washington Senators, St Louis Browns and the Philadelphia Athletics. I do believe Mays is the best overall Giant of alltime tho. And the way I did it more players get credit for thier accomplishments. Mays does get a raw deal on how I did it but if I did it the other way then guys like Rickey Henderson or Kirby Pucket wouldnt get credit for playing in Oakland or Minnesotta due to they wouldnt beat out Lefty Grove,Jimmy Foxx or Walter Johnson. I dont think i'd feel right taking Koufax as the greatest Dodger of alltime where I could separate the cities and pick two players. I wouldnt think any Brooklyn fan would want Koufax as the best Dodger of alltime. Again Mays did get snuffed and I suppose he does have an argument as being the best ever in Frisco but those fans really never even appreciated him like they did Cepeda and McCovey due to he had that NewYork tag on him still. I probaly coulda left off teams like the 1902 Orioles and 1902 Brewers but I wanted the Seattle Pilots on the list so I chose to put them on too.

Calling Walter Johnson the greatest Minnesotta Twin or Lefty Grove the greatest Oakland Athletic or Cal Ripken the greatest St. Louis Brown doesnt make sense to me.

Nellie_Fox
01-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Thanks for welcome

I did it like that basically because of teams like the old Washington Senators and the Philadelphia Athletics. I do believe Mays is the best overall Giant of alltime tho. And the way I did it more players get credit for thier accomplishments. Mays does get a raw deal on how I did it but if I did it the other way then guys like Rickey Henderson or Kirby Pucket wouldnt get credit for playing in Oakland or Minnesotta due to they wouldnt beat out Lefty Grove,Jimmy Foxx or Walter Johnson. I dont think i'd feel right taking Koufax as the greatest Dodger of alltime where I could separate the cities and pick two players. I wouldnt think any Brooklyn fan would want Koufax as the best Dodger of alltime. Again Mays did get snuffed and I suppose he does have an argument as being the best ever in Frisco but those fans really never even appreciated him like they did Cepeda and McCovey due to he had that NewYork tag on him still. I probaly coulda left off teams like the 1902 Orioles and 1902 Brewers but I wanted the Seattle Pilots on the list so I chose to put them on too.

Calling Walter Johnson the greatest Minnesotta Twin or Lefty Grove the greatest Oakland Athletic doesnt make sense to me.So if a team stays in one city, they can only have one "greatest," but if they move around a lot (a la the Braves and A's) they can have several? THAT doesn't make sense to me. It should be the greatest for the franchise.

chicagowhitesox1
01-07-2012, 01:25 AM
So if a team stays in one city, they can only have one "greatest," but if they move around a lot (a la the Braves and A's) they can have several? THAT doesn't make sense to me. It should be the greatest for the franchise.

I just would have a hard time calling Walter Johnson a Minnesotta Twin and I see your point but say if the Whitesox moved to Florida would you really want some player from Florida as the Chicago Whitesox's greatest player if per chance after they moved and they got a Babe Ruth type of player. Probaly wouldnt have happened but I wouldnt want some guy down the road taking Eddie Collins or Luke Applings spot when he never played in Chicago. Thats why I feel those cities should be remembered.

monkeypants
01-07-2012, 02:19 AM
I'd pick Vladimir Guerrero over Andre Dawson as the greatest Montreal Expo ever. But it is very close.

chicagowhitesox1
01-07-2012, 07:12 AM
I'd pick Vladimir Guerrero over Andre Dawson as the greatest Montreal Expo ever. But it is very close.

You know I think your right. I forgot about him. I had only Gary Carter, Tim Raines and Dawson as guys I would pick but looking at that now I made the wrong choice on that one. I forgot how long he was even there. It is kinda a tough call but Guerrero is the best choice.

A. Cavatica
01-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey, you never know about Cub fans.

I think Anson is correct. Obviously, you have to go back more than a century to find anyone worthy.

Bobby Thigpen
01-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Also, welcome to WSI!
There is no way Steve Carlton was better, on any team he played on, than Frank was with the Sox.

ernie14
01-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Not Ron Santo?

What? Not Mark Grace?

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Seriously though, no way should Bonds be ahead of Willie Mays.

Nellie_Fox
01-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I just would have a hard time calling Walter Johnson a Minnesotta Twin and I see your point but say if the Whitesox moved to Florida would you really want some player from Florida as the Chicago Whitesox's greatest player if per chance after they moved and they got a Babe Ruth type of player. Probaly wouldnt have happened but I wouldnt want some guy down the road taking Eddie Collins or Luke Applings spot when he never played in Chicago. Thats why I feel those cities should be remembered.It's Minnesota, and yes, if you think Walter Johnson is the best Senator/Twin of all time, then he's the franchise's best player. Your argument is even more difficult when the franchise didn't even change the team name, like the Dodgers, A's, Giants, Braves, etc.

chicagowhitesox1
01-08-2012, 04:15 AM
It's Minnesota, and yes, if you think Walter Johnson is the best Senator/Twin of all time, then he's the franchise's best player. Your argument is even more difficult when the franchise didn't even change the team name, like the Dodgers, A's, Giants, Braves, etc.

So if the Sox had moved to Florida and kept thier name would you really be ok calling Frank Thomas the best Chicago Whitesox of alltime? I see what you mean but I made the list because I was bored and while making it I wanted guys like Goerge Sisler and Frank Howard to be on the list because especially guys like them they were the names of those franchises cities. Again Willie Mays arguably does have a case but Barry Bonds and I'm sure fans from Frisco will tell ya was the better pick. I'll change the list to make it right for Mays.

I changed the list but I still believe Bonds was a better SF Giant than Mays was but overall Mays was the best franchise Giant without question. It is a slap in the face to not include Mays and he deserves to be on any alltime list. Looking at the list now i'm not sure about the Dodger picks or the Marlins pick. Hanley Rameriz is prob the best choice in Florida rethinking it now. The Reds are somewhat iffy if you wanna choose Rose or Morgan but I'd rather have a catcher who was the best of all time.

Willie Mays in my opinion woulda broke Ruths record had he played in the home parks Aaron did and woulda ended up as the homerun career leader. Aaron was a great player but he never woulda broke that record had he played in Mays parks. Plus Mays lost time to the Korean war and like Ty cobb said Mays was the only guy in that era he'd pay to watch play. Mays was before my time but if oldtimers like Cobb and Hornsby who played in a integrated era will say how great he was I will take their word for it.

kittle42
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Brian Anderson.

Bobby Thigpen
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Brian Anderson.
I'll see your Brian Anderson and raise you a Jeremy Reed.