PDA

View Full Version : Starlin Castro accused of sexual assault

1908<2005
01-06-2012, 06:21 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/JoshLissWBBM780/status/155258780949561344
@WBBMNewsradio reports; Chicago police are investigating an alleged sexual assault involving #Cubs SS Starlin Castro.

gobears1987
01-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Have to wait for the facts here, but if it is true. :o:

gobears1987
01-06-2012, 07:18 AM
I was looking for articles on this and when I typed "Starlin Castro" into Google's news search the first headline I got was from last month about a baseball discussion surrounding Castro and had a headline that would be very dark/inappropriate humor had it been in reference to this story.

Seriously though, is there any real news out there on this?

DumpJerry
01-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Seriously though, is there any real news out there on this?
More than a twitter thing (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2874470).

gobears1987
01-06-2012, 07:38 AM
More than a twitter thing (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2874470).

I saw an article posted on Baseball Nation 10 minutes ago. It sounds like a case of a girl getting drunk (in other words unable to legally give consent), blacking out, and waking up at his apartment. It's pathetic how many people do not understand that this is rape.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/1/6/2686737/starlin-castro-cubs-sexual-assault-report

If the facts in here are true, it isn't good for Castro.

WhiteSox5187
01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
These are very serious charges and could impact Castro's immigration status and ability to enter and leave the country as well.

Whitesox029
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Normally, I am skeptical of such stories until definitively proven, since it seems common for people to accuse well-known and well-off people in order to get their 15 minutes of fame and/or a huge settlement. It seems incredible that someone in Castro's position could be so stupid as to piss it all away by doing something like this. Then again, maybe in this case, it isn't (http://mets.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11749651) so incredible (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Starlin-Castro-8217-s-space-cadet-routine-draws?urn=mlb-wp16773).

Golden Sox
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Don't you find it odd, like I do that if the police report was made over 3 months ago, that this is now being leaked to the media? If a CPD report was made last September, I would bet my life that the Cubs organization found out about it within 24 hours. And that being the case, I find it interesting that its now being leaked. Usually when a star athlete gets into trouble and has a police report made out against him, it doesn't take 3 months to surface.

sox230
01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Where is the mighty Tribune breaking this news. They break every other Cubs story because of all of their "sources" and still owning part of the team and such. Then when they finally put up the headline, it's not "Castro accused of sexual assualt" but rather "Castro attorney says accusation baseless". Well guess what? If people hadn't found out about the news elsewhere, going solely by the Trib headline, you would have NO idea what accusation they are talking about! They are covering the Cubs' ass in similar ways that the Penn State Media covered that whole debacle. Embarrassing, but what new. Just another episode of "As the Cubune Turns."

DumpJerry
01-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Don't you find it odd, like I do that if the police report was made over 3 months ago, that this is now being leaked to the media? If a CPD report was made last September, I would bet my life that the Cubs organization found out about it within 24 hours. And that being the case, I find it interesting that its now being leaked. Usually when a star athlete gets into trouble and has a police report made out against him, it doesn't take 3 months to surface.
I was wondering the same thing. Unless there's a Sox fan who had access/knowledge of the situation who is miffed about the stories last month about the sweetheart deal the Sox got for Bacardi in the Park....

Hey, didn't a WSIer last week or so tell us he just got hired by the Trib? Hmm........

Brian26
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I thought for sure that Kap would have broken this story.

Johnnydogs
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I think this situation's too serious to talk about fanboys hiding info. It's probably just a matter of the CPD finally leaking info because they know he will be in town next week. Hell, the Suntimes, Daily Herald, Score and a number of different outlets missed it too. I could be wrong, but I think this got out because someone told the guy at WBBM radio directly. I don't like "allegations" getting out. If he raped her he should suffer severe consequences but at this point it's just she said/he said. This kind of thing can linger even if he's innocent and I don't wish that on anyone no matter what team he plays for.

Golden Sox
01-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I couldn't help but notice that theres a measly 8 paragraph column about the incident in the Tribune today. If a member of the White Sox, Bulls or Bears were accused of the same thing, do you think the Tribune would devote more space on the subject?

robertks61
01-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I couldn't help but notice that theres a measly 8 paragraph column about the incident in the Tribune today. If a member of the White Sox, Bulls or Bears were accused of the same thing, do you think the Tribune would devote more space on the subject?

It's funny that I hear about it on WSCR at 6:30 am Friday morning. TribCo finally puts the spin version on-line around 11:30 am. This has the Penn St. Cubbies cover up written all over it..........

Vernam
01-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Oz'll fix him!

Sorry, not to make fun of a serious situation. I'm curious to see where this places Castro in Theo's new firmament of "character" guys.

Vernam

soltrain21
01-07-2012, 10:19 AM

He was accused. I don't think the story should even come out.

soltrain21
01-07-2012, 10:20 AM
It's funny that I hear about it on WSCR at 6:30 am Friday morning. TribCo finally puts the spin version on-line around 11:30 am. This has the Penn St. Cubbies cover up written all over it..........

And I couldn't roll my eyes harder at you comparing the situations.

Bobby Thigpen
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Hangar would be proud of the amount of Cubsessed crap being spewed in this thread.

kittle42
01-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Hangar would be proud of the amount of Cubsessed crap being spewed in this thread.

Seconded. In fact, I'm hanging out with him later today. I'm sure he'll be drooling over it.

robertks61
01-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Not comparing the situations, just the way it's ignored by one media outlet which still own's part of Chc. I'm sure if it was a player on the White Sox it would be front page news.

I've always been in agreement with Hanger on the coverage of one team vs. the other. I remember TribCo shredding Bill Veeck in '76 for scheduling a Sunday DH on the first series of the season. The games were postponed due to weather. I've been reading the bias for years. Pretend it's not there if you would like to.

Bobby Thigpen
01-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Who cares if it's there or not? The only people it effect are the people who pay attention to it.

SephClone89
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Seriously.

gobears1987
01-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Castro is scheduled to appear at the Cubs convention this winter, right? Since it will be his first time in the country since the accusations were made (he left the country, as previously scheduled, the day after the event happened) you would have to think he will spend time at least being questioned by police as part of the investigation.