PDA

View Full Version : Dick Allen / Chicago Baseball Museum News

Lip Man 1
01-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Folks:

Just got an e-mail tonight from Dr. David Fletcher of the Chicago baseball Museum.

Dr. Fletcher wanted to let me know that Dick Allen has agreed to come to Chicago in mid-July to be honored by the Museum on the 40th anniversary of his MVP Award for the Sox in 1972.

The plan is also to honor Roland Hemond on the 40th anniversary of his Executive of the Year Award.

Dr. Fletcher is working on getting approval from the Sox to have the ceremony before a Twins - Sox game at U.S. Cellular Field in one of the big press conference rooms.

He said Bert Blyleven of the Twins has also agreed to participate (which makes sense since it was Bert who served up Dick's two inside the park home runs in the same game on July 31, 1972.)

I assume that some of Dick's former teammates will be invited especially those who live in the Chicago area like Bill Melton, Bart Johnson and Jorge Orta.

Dick rarely makes appearances. This could be a special night.

Lip

Noneck
01-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Long time coming for the Sox to honor him. Makes sense also for the Sox to wear the 72 uniform for that game. Would also like the Sox to pay a couple air fares and hotel bills to bring in more team mates. Woody, Little Walter and Goose to name a few.

Fenway
01-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I met Dick once back in 1986 when we were doing a shoot at a Midwest League game in Kenosha. He was a coach with Appleton ( which was a WS team then) and he could not have been nicer to us. ( I think he may have been a roving instructor for the Sox then).

The Midwest League 25 years ago was still a Mom and Pop league - Kenosha played in a glorified city playground.

WhiteSox5187
01-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Long time coming for the Sox to honor him. Makes sense also for the Sox to wear the 72 uniform for that game. Would also like the Sox to pay a couple air fares and hotel bills to bring in more team mates. Woody, Little Walter and Goose to name a few.

Unless the Sox applied to wear that uniform back in July of last year, they won't be able to wear it because of all the red tape that MLB has teams jump through to wear special uniforms. That fact coupled with the fact that the White Sox seem to want to have nothing to do with their past makes seem extremely unlikely that they will be breaking out any throwback uniform anytime soon.

DumpJerry
01-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Unless the Sox applied to wear that uniform back in July of last year, they won't be able to wear it because of all the red tape that MLB has teams jump through to wear special uniforms. That fact coupled with the fact that the White Sox seem to want to have nothing to do with their past makes seem extremely unlikely that they will be breaking out any throwback uniform anytime soon.
You're right about it taking a year to get approval for uniform deviations because if licensing issues. However, I need to get my eyes checked because I thought I've seen a game or two each season where the Sox play a game wearing throwback unis.

asindc
01-05-2012, 06:37 AM
You're right about it taking a year to get approval for uniform deviations because if licensing issues. However, I need to get my eyes checked because I thought I've seen a game or two each season where the Sox play a game wearing throwback unis.

Your eyes are fine.

Chez
01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a Sox player hit the ball as hard on a consistent basis as Dick Allen did in 1972. Screaming rockets all over the park. Maybe Frank; maybe Julio Franco in the strike year, but Allen's season in '72 was truly special.

October26
01-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Folks:

Just got an e-mail tonight from Dr. David Fletcher of the Chicago baseball Museum.

Dr. Fletcher wanted to let me know that Dick Allen has agreed to come to Chicago in mid-July to be honored by the Museum on the 40th anniversary of his MVP Award for the Sox in 1972.

The plan is also to honor Roland Hemond on the 40th anniversary of his Executive of the Year Award.

Dr. Fletcher is working on getting approval from the Sox to have the ceremony before a Twins - Sox game at U.S. Cellular Field in one of the big press conference rooms.

He said Bert Blyleven of the Twins has also agreed to participate (which makes sense since it was Bert who served up Dick's two inside the park home runs in the same game on July 31, 1972.)

I assume that some of Dick's former teammates will be invited especially those who live in the Chicago area like Bill Melton, Bart Johnson and Jorge Orta.

Dick rarely makes appearances. This could be a special night.

Lip

Thanks for posting - I am happy to hear about this and really hope the Sox can organize an event to honor Dick Allen.

Reading the names of these White Sox favorites from my youth: Dick Allen, Bill Melton, Bart Johnson, and Jorge Orta brought back memories. So I'll share this quick childhood story: My parents and I were at a Sox game at Old Comiskey Park back in 1972 and I saw Dick Allen for the first time. Allen was an imposing figure, and I was intrigued by him. I was a young girl then who was always asking questions, so I asked my father: "Why does he have those funny mustaches on the side of his face, Dad?" My father replied: "Those are called sideburns, but what is important about this player is that he can really hit the baseball. Stop running up and down those ramps and come over here and sit by me so you can see Dick Allen when he comes up to the plate. Watch, and pay close attention and you will see and hear how the ball jumps off his bat after he hits it. Dick Allen is a tremendous hitter and a very good baseball player."

I really hope my father and I can attend the game, this coming Summer, and see the pre-game festivities where the White Sox will finally honor Dick Allen for his 1972 MVP Award.

Golden Sox
01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
For you younger people out there who might be reading this. It amazes me the older I get, the more I find out that history written by so called historians isn't necessarily accurate. Dick Allen had his warts as a player and a person. I met him years ago and he talked quite openly how he basically didn't even care that much for baseball. He preferred owning horses. So be it. Dick Allen was one of the most feared hitters in my lifetime, and I find it almost criminal that the Pizza Man (Ron Santo) just got elected to the HOF and Dick Allen wasn't even on the ballot. Santo couldn't carry Dick Allens jockstrap offensively. Any of those baseball historians who think the Pizza Man was a better player than Dick Allen are full of crap.

TomBradley72
01-05-2012, 08:26 AM
For you younger people out there who might be reading this. It amazes me the older I get, the more I find out that history written by so called historians isn't necessarily accurate. Dick Allen had his warts as a player and a person. I met him years ago and he talked quite openly how he basically didn't even care that much for baseball. He preferred owning horses. So be it. Dick Allen was one of the most feared hitters in my lifetime, and I find it almost criminal that the Pizza Man (Ron Santo) just got elected to the HOF and Dick Allen wasn't even on the ballot. Santo couldn't carry Dick Allens jockstrap offensively. Any of those baseball historians who think the Pizza Man was a better player than Dick Allen are full of crap.

He also experienced BRUTAL racism as a minor league player and then early in his time with the Phillies-

tebman
01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I hope everybody involved can pull this off. Dick Allen was an fearsome hitter and an interesting guy. I was in my first couple of years of college and didn't get to any games in '72 or '73. I missed seeing Allen in person and had to rely on reading the papers and the seeing the occasional TV broadcast.

Allen was interviewed last year on MLB Network. I caught part of it and was impressed again by his honesty and insight. It's too bad he wasn't with the Sox longer than he was, but his interests and the team's circumstances those years couldn't make it happen.

asindc
01-05-2012, 09:19 AM
I was at a game where Dick Allen hit a HR to dead center that cleared the 440' sign by at least 20 feet. He was using a 44 ounce bat at the time, and I don't think he choked up on it. Just a monster hitter. In fact, the only hitter I remember seeing wearing a Sox uniform that was in his league was Frank. Frank was a better overall hitter for a longer period of time, but I think it is a toss-up as to which one you would prefer at bat with the game on the line.

russ99
01-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I hope the Sox do something on the field with Allen and the rest of the '72 Sox, for them and also all us fans who were there during that era. I was a huge fan of Allen and Melton.

My dad and I often had upper deck seats at Comiskey and I remember the kids all with their baseball gloves in the first few rows since somebody surely would crush one that far.

And of course there is this (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1972/0612_large.jpg). Probably my favorite magazine cover of all time.

SI1020
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I hope the Sox do something on the field with Allen and the rest of the '72 Sox, for them and also all us fans who were there during that era. I was a huge fan of Allen and Melton.

My dad and I often had upper deck seats at Comiskey and I remember the kids all with their baseball gloves in the first few rows since somebody surely would crush one that far.

And of course there is this (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1972/0612_large.jpg). Probably my favorite magazine cover of all time. It's a big favorite of mine too. 72 was such a fun year, and it's too bad all the momentum was lost the following year.

wilburaga
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
As luck would have it, during my addled college years I happened to be at the July 23, 1972 game when Dick Allen launched a titanic home run off Gaylord Perry causing Comiskey Park to rise 18 inches from the ground and perform one complete revolution before settling back down to Earth.

Lip Man 1
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
ASIN:

Dick actually swung a 40 once bat, and that still was the heaviest in baseball at the time. I'd be curious if anybody has swung one that weighed that much or more since then.

72 was just an amazing year for Dick, the famous "Taco Game," the two inside the park home runs in the same game and becoming the first Sox player (only two wound up doing it) to hit a ball into the original bleachers underneath the scoreboard.

In addition to all that contrary to what some think, he was a great teammate...everyone I've interviewed off that club, Herrmann, May, Andrews, Wood, Williams all said the same thing.

By the way if you go to the WSI INTERVIEWS section of the web site you'll find a six part series done on Dick and his career. The author gave WSI permission to reprint the story which was originally posted in a baseball / statistical magazine back in the 80's. Has some great info on him and some amazing quotes from guys like Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond.

EDIT:

Here's the link to part 4 of the six part series on Dick. His White Sox years:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2068

Lip

SI1020
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Allen was a quirky eccentric guy who definitely marched to the beat of his own drum. He was also subject to some of the worst press ever, filled with rumor, innuendo and at times out right lies. The way he handled the aftermath of his fight with Frank Thomas, (who attacked him with a baseball bat) was most gentlemanly. All the more astounding when you consider the hostility he routinely faced in Philadelphia. Allen had the fight with this guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomafr03.shtml

asindc
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
ASIN:

Dick actually swung a 40 once bat, and that still was the heaviest in baseball at the time. I'd be curious if anybody has swung one that weighed that much or more since then.

72 was just an amazing year for Dick, the famous "Taco Game," the two inside the park home runs in the same game and becoming the first Sox player (only two wound up doing it) to hit a ball into the original bleachers underneath the scoreboard.

In addition to all that contrary to what some think, he was a great teammate...everyone I've interviewed off that club, Herrmann, May, Andrews, Wood, Williams all said the same thing.

By the way if you go to the WSI INTERVIEWS section of the web site you'll find a six part series done on Dick and his career. The author gave WSI permission to reprint the story which was originally posted in a baseball / statistical magazine back in the 80's. Has some great info on him and some amazing quotes from guys like Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond.

EDIT:

Here's the link to part 4 of the six part series on Dick. His White Sox years:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2068

Lip

Apparently there are conflicting reports about the size bat he swung. These and several other articles say either 42 or 44 ounces:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/164255-dick-allen-what-could-have-been

http://philliesnation.com/archives/2009/03/100-greatest-phillies-7-dick-allen/

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21736&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=29&seo=1960s-Dick-Allen-Philadelphia-Phillies-Game-Used-Helmet-(MEARS-Auction-LOA)

http://baseball.wikia.com/wiki/Dick_Allen

Lip Man 1
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't think he ever swung a bat that weighed more than 42 ounces and that was rarely. Everything I had read or been told said 40. Either way he'd swing that thing around like it was a toothpick.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
01-05-2012, 12:27 PM

You see the White Sox wearing throwbacks but they aren't White Sox throwback uniforms, they are usually the throwbacks of a Negro League team. I think the last time the White Sox wore an old White Sox uniform was the incredibly crappy 1959 "throwbacks" in 2009. They wore the '83 throwbacks in '08, the '59 throwbacks (the way they were actually worn in 1959 too) in '05 and then the '83 throwbacks in 2003.

PKalltheway
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't think he ever swung a bat that weighed more than 42 ounces and that was rarely. Everything I had read or been told said 40. Either way he'd swing that thing around like it was a toothpick.

Lip
I thought I remembered Kevin Mitchell swinging a beast of a bat, but his was only 36 ounces, according to this article. This account from Baseball Digest in 1991 says that Dick Allen would usually swing a 40 oz. bat. http://books.google.com/books?id=Di4DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=Kevin+Mitchell+40+oz+bat&source=bl&ots=RN-j5t51OL&sig=Jp23Q8_PhClMTafiar6V6LnR6Sk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nv4FT5aYL4LW0QHh7Zy0Ag&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Kevin%20Mitchell%2040%20oz%20bat&f=false

Apparently, on that same chart listed on Page 33, Orlando Cepeda swung a 45 oz. bat!:o: Goodness, you don't see guys swinging tree trunks like that around today. Mercy!

SephClone89
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Hope this happens. I think my dad would like to go. We've gone to both Frank Thomas days the last two years, but it would be nice for this to be during the Twins series to stay affordable.

white sox bill
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
My fav Sox player, I remember growing up in the corn fields of Northwest Illinois and rooting for Dick all the time 99% of the other kids were wearing uni's of Ernie Banks, Ron Santo or Billy Williams. Most of them said: Dick who?

Vernam
01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I would not miss this for anything. Great to see how many people here remember the guy so fondly, and I hope he feels every bit of that respect on his big night. Long, long, long overdue.

Vernam

cheezheadsoxfan
01-07-2012, 07:06 PM

And of course there is this (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1972/0612_large.jpg). Probably my favorite magazine cover of all time.

Richard Roeper references that cover in his book "Sox and the City." Dangling cigarette and juggling, how cool was that.:cool:

SephClone89
01-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Richard Roeper references that cover in his book "Sox and the City." Dangling cigarette and juggling, how cool was that.:cool:

I believe he says the cover didn't inspire him to smoke, but it dd make him want to learn juggling.

Lip Man 1
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
The latest news I got tonight from Dr. Fletcher is positive and it looks like this might happen.

Dr. Fletcher said that Roland Hemond spoke with JR about it and that JR suggested the CBM speak with Scott Reifert of the Sox.

Roland felt that the Sox would help out and that they'd try to get some of Dick's former teammates who live in the area to participate.

Among the ones that I know of who live in the area are Bart Johnson, Jorge Orta and Carlos May. Bill Melton will be in the area because of his work with Comcast Sports Chicago. I spoke with Ed Herrmann a few days ago on another matter and told him what could be happening with this.

Ed said he'd be VERY interested in participating.

Roland said the Sox were discussing dates in June with the CBM on this.

EDIT;

Dr. Fletcher called me a short time ago to fill me in with more info. They originally wanted to do this in July but the Sox are asking for a date in June. It would be a full blown event like the collaboration the CBM and the White Sox did to help boost Minnie Minoso's chances for the Hall of Fame. (Doc said Minnie is well positioned for the next election and that the CBM is going to turn their attention towards getting Billy Pierce on the ballot!) Doc said Dick's wife strongly wanted this and that Bill White also talked to Dick about how this would be a good thing and could help his Hall of Fame chances.

Doc also mentioned something about the Sox hinting that this could be done in connection with a 72 jersey throwback day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told the Doc that I can start to contact my friends in the media whenever he wants to start pushing this and that Ricahrd Roeper (who along with myself was sitting near Harry Caray when Dick hammered a ball into the center field bleacher seats on August 23, 1972) would be a great person to help with this if they can get him involved.

Lip

Vernam
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
If they had announced this a month ago, I might not have cancelled my season tix. :bandance::gulp:

Vernam

white sox bill
01-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Speaking of which, has anyone read his biography? I see its available at my library.

Wsoxmike59
01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
white sox bill, I read it. I took it out of the local library a couple years ago. It was a pretty good read. My only complaint with the book, it was written by a die hard Phillies fan, so the book centers on his time in Philly, and they don't get too in depth about his time with the Sox.

cheezheadsoxfan
01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I believe he says the cover didn't inspire him to smoke, but it dd make him want to learn juggling.

You are correct. I wasn't promoting smoking but it did make a great
visual. :smile:

white sox bill
01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
white sox bill, I read it. I took it out of the local library a couple years ago. It was a pretty good read. My only complaint with the book, it was written by a die hard Phillies fan, so the book centers on his time in Philly, and they don't get too in depth about his time with the Sox.
Was there a lot of quotes from Dick himself? I cant see him giving too many interviews

kba
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Was there a lot of quotes from Dick himself? I cant see him giving too many interviews

He doesn't do many interviews, but he did sit down with Costas a couple years ago:

http://mlb.mlb.com/search/media.jsp?query=%22Dick+allen%22&c_id=mlb

Lip Man 1
01-13-2012, 10:17 PM
And they did nothing, very little at best on his greatest season.

Lip

white sox bill
01-14-2012, 01:54 PM
For whatever reason players in any sport who shun the limelight have always intrigued me less Albert Belle. Another one was Steve Carlton. I dont think he ever wrote a bio though.

Have to get Dicks book sometime

Lip Man 1
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I think someone asked in this thread if there was a chance that Wilbur Wood cold possibly attend the event for Dick and Roland.

Spoke with Roland this morning and he said Wilbur told him he no longer travels. Roland thought it could be connected to the knee injury issue Wilbur suffered in 1976 when his kneecap was broken by a Ron LeFlore line drive.

As an aside Roland told me he had to help put Wilbur in a cab after the accident so he could get to the hospital! Apparently Tiger Stadium had no ambulance on site and had made no arrangements for anyone to get a stretcher and carry Wood off the field. Roland said he was really pissed off at Detroit.

Lip

TommyJohn
01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I think someone asked in this thread if there was a chance that Wilbur Wood cold possibly attend the event for Dick and Roland.

Spoke with Roland this morning and he said Wilbur told him him no longer travels. Roland thought it could be connected to the knee injury issue Wilbur suffered in 1976 when his kneecap was broken by a Ron LeFlore line drive.

As an aside Roland told me he had to help put Wilbur in a cab after the accident so he could get to the hospital! Apparently Tiger Stadium had no ambulance on site and had made no arrangements for anyone to get a stretcher and carry Wood off the field. Roland said he was really pissed off at Detroit.

Lip

Hmmm. According to Rich Lindberg, Wood refused a stretcher when he was hurt. He wrote this in Who's On 3rd? Of course, he could've been mistaken, or sources he used could have assumed that Wood refused a stretcher.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
All I can tell you is what Roland told me this morning.

He said at the time Tiger Stadium had no way physically for an amblance to actually get on to the field. He said the reason Woody 'walked' (limped) off the field was because the Tigers had no one on site with a stretcher.

Also said that when he was in the locker room Woody asked Roland to get him a beer while he was waiting for the cab. (LOL)

Roland said he was sitting right behind home plate and had a clear look at the drive that broke the kneecap then he ran into the locker room.

Lip

TommyJohn
01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
All I can tell you is what Roland told me this morning.

He said at the time Tiger Stadium had no way physically for an amblance to actually get on to the field. He said the reason Woody 'walked' (limped) off the field was because the Tigers had no one on site with a stretcher.

Also said that when he was in the locker room Woody asked Roland to get him a beer while he was waiting for the cab. (LOL)

Roland said he was sitting right behind home plate and had a clear look at the drive that broke the kneecap then he ran into the locker room.

Lip

Well, Hemond was there, so I'll take his word for it. No slight to Rich Lindberg, he may have thought that Wood refused the stretcher.

TommyJohn
01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
And they did nothing, very little at best on his greatest season.

Lip

And that was really disappointing. But as someone speculated on another thread, maybe Allen had things he wouldn't talk about, or would only talk about briefly, and his Chicago years may have been part of that.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Folks:

Just got some more info from the CBM on this. It appears the Sox are getting involved with this and a time period has been tentatively discussed.

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop on this.

Here is the message I received:

"The White Sox like our idea to honor Dick Allen but they would like to have Dick on Sunday June 24th as part of 1972 Sox Jersey Day. It is a day game against the Brewers.

We would like to fly Dick in for a Saturday night dinner (June 23rd) at the Ball Park followed by the Game Day event that Sunday.

On Monday morning we want to host an academic symposium at the Ball Park Conference Center that recaps Dick and the ’72 season. I believe this event will help start a campaign for Dick to be on the 2014 Veterans’ Golden Era ballot.

I'm checking with Howie Bedell if this scheduled change is acceptable with Dick Allen so we can begin planning in earnest.

Paul Ladewski, who has worked with Scott Reifert for 30 years, is trying to hammer out some details with the White Sox."

Lip

Vernam
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Lip! Very exciting to see this coming together, and it takes a lot for me to get excited!

Vernam

Brian26
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Would be cool if the Sox could wear the red pinstripes on 6/24. Perhaps this was already planned since they are giving away the kids' jersey?