PDA

View Full Version : Marlins close to acquiring Zambrano Update: its official Zamboso is a Marlin

mzh
01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/marlins-close-to-acquiring-carlos-zambrano-.html

Gotta admit, Theo is taking care of business. That's $18 Million they can allocate for the future, depending on who eats what salary.

That said, is playing under Ozzie the right environment for him? I can see the blowups increasing in size and frequency under a manager known to do the same. Time will tell.

soxinem1
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Ozzie, Carlos, and Hanley in the same clubhouse. Wow.

Zambozo's contract is kind of tricky for the 2013 option, as it cites him finishing in the top four in CYA voting and being reasonably healthy.

I'm not sure if there is a mentally healthy clause attached to the physically healthy provision.

TheVulture
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
That said, is playing under Ozzie the right environment for him? I can see the blowups increasing in size and frequency under a manager known to do the same. Time will tell.

I've long been of the opinion most of Zambrano's problems would disappear with another organization. I honestly believe it is largely a reaction to being part of a certain mentality that is deeply entrenched in the Cub franchise, frustration with a loser mentality. Obviously, I could be wrong, but my opinion is playing under Ozzie in Miami probably is exactly the right environment for him. I guess we'll see.

CHISOXFAN13
01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/marlins-close-to-acquiring-carlos-zambrano-.html

Gotta admit, Theo is taking care of business. That's $18 Million they can allocate for the future, depending on who eats what salary.

I would expect the Cubs to pay a majority of that money remaining.

#1swisher
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I would expect the Cubs to pay a majority of that money remaining.

Bruce Levine

Cubs pay $15 of $18M

ESPNChiCubs

Cubs and marlins agree on trade that sends p Carlos Zambrano in
exchange for Chris volstad. cubs pay 15 of 18M

mzh
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Volstad coming back to the Cubs, per Heyman. (http://twitter.com/#%21/JonHeymanCBS/status/154716366769889280)

His HR/9 numbers are scary, and that's from pitching out of Joe Robbie.

russ99
01-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Zambrano and Ozzie have been close for a long time. If there's anyone who can get Zambrano to grow up and be the pitcher he can be, it's Ozzie.

The Fish are going to be interesting next year. Could be real good or it could blow up. Considering my favorite NL team is moving to the AL after next season, I may follow the Marlins a bit more that I usually do, especially with Buehrle in a league where he could really have a good season.

#1swisher
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
thekapman

If Theo and co. were serious about changing
Cubs culture then a nut like Zambrano cannot
be allowed on team. Obviously they were
serious.

voodoochile
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure the server can handle this thread, Ozzie, the flubs and Zamboso all at one time. The Universe may implode...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-trade-zambrano-to-marlins-for-pitcher-volstad-20120104,0,6396252.story

WhiteSox5187
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Well for about $3 million (assuming the Cubs eat at least $15 million he is owed as mentioned earlier in the thread) Zambrano could be a serviceable four or five starter and could even be a decent number three starter if EVERYTHING clicks. It's a low risk, high reward move for the Marlins and I would find it HILARIOUS were he to have a really good year.

Johnnydogs
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
It's a low risk, high reward move for the Marlins and I would find it HILARIOUS were he to have a really good year.

It's win-win. Frankly, I'm surprised the Cubs are getting a serviceable ML starter in return. Theo has done a really good job if the reports are true. You'd think they'd just have to eat salary and get nothing at all...

Also, Zambrano should pitch well because 2012 is his FA season. However, as was already mentioned, he has a clause in his contract that guarantees $19M for 2013 if he pitches exceedingly well (top 4 in CY I believe). The Cubs are saving money by paying just $15M and not risking the possibility of a motivated Zambrano earning $18M for 2012, while pitching with the Cubs, and $19M for 2013 on a team that isn't going anywhere.

#1swisher
01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Z spoke with Theo in November, was told he'd be given the right to earn his way back as a Cub.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=26263904&partnerId=aw-7800645468099028947-996&vkey=news_mlb&ymd=20120104

palehozenychicty
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
If he can't build value with the Marlins and Ozzie, who would touch him?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Brian26
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM

**** Theo. He's eating that salary for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Vernam
01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
**** Theo. He's eating that salary for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Very true, but it's not quite so bad to eat a salary when you have no hope of contending anyway. Especially when it makes you look like a bad-ass "new sheriff in town," like Ditka running Ricky Watts (http://www.talkbears.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t4511.html) off after a cognac bottle fell out of his locker.

Whew, that was a dated reference, I must admit.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the inevitable Marlin Meltdown. I've been saying Ozzie wouldn't last three years there, but with Zambrano, I might make that two. He'll end up on the outs with Guillen just like Maggs (and a few dozen others) did, mark my words.

Vernam

DrCrawdad
01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Volstad coming back to the Cubs, per Heyman. (http://twitter.com/#%21/JonHeymanCBS/status/154716366769889280)

His HR/9 numbers are scary, and that's from pitching out of Joe Robbie.

Interesting. Volstad had a worse HR/9 than Zambrano last year. That and the Cubbies are eating nearly all of the salary. Theos is a god. :rolleyes:

bestkosher
01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/marlins-agree-to-acquire-carlos-zambrano.html

Seems to be a done deal.

SOXSINCE'70
01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure the server can handle this thread, Ozzie, the flubs and Zamboso all at one time. The Universe may implode...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-trade-zambrano-to-marlins-for-pitcher-volstad-20120104,0,6396252.story

After the first 8 game losing streak:

:ozzie
"We play like sheet".
Follwed by Zambozo's "We stinks." :D:

TDog
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Bruce Levine

Cubs pay $15 of $18M

ESPNChiCubs

Cubs and marlins agree on trade that sends p Carlos Zambrano in
exchange for Chris volstad. cubs pay 15 of 18M

If that's the case, the Cubs essentially still have Zambrano on the payroll.

cws05champ
01-04-2012, 10:16 PM
I think the Marlins could use a CF...hmmm. Alex Rios and $15M for a signed Ozzie Guillen Marlins hat and a Cuban coffee?

Man, I can't wait for the first time Hanley boots a ball at 3B while Z is pitching. Z vs Hanley...with Ozzie as the moderator, the greatest show on Earth!!

slavko
01-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Zambrano and Ozzie have been close for a long time. If there's anyone who can get Zambrano to grow up and be the pitcher he can be, it's Ozzie.

If anyone can get Z to display some maturity, it's Ozzie. (Did I just write that?)

DSpivack
01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
If anyone can get Z to display some maturity, it's Ozzie. (Did I just write that?)

Supposedly the two get along well. Zambrano's issues are with himself, though. If Zambrano would do well under any manager, it would under Ozzie, I would think, but how Ozzie stops his temper from erupting after a bad start I don't know.

CAREY33
01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
I think this is a great gamble that the Marlins are taking. Not saying its gonna work but small risk and potentially a great reward.

DumpJerry
01-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Send Buehrle some flowers and a hug.

doublem23
01-04-2012, 11:57 PM
There has to be a reality TV show about the Marlins upcoming season, right? RIGHT?

Bucky F. Dent
01-04-2012, 11:57 PM

You ready to come home now, Mark?

DumpJerry
01-05-2012, 12:01 AM
There has to be a reality TV show about the Marlins upcoming season, right? RIGHT?
There already is one called "Survivor.":D:

34rancher
01-05-2012, 12:11 AM

My first thoughts were I wonder how MB feels now? He's a calming force, but add south beach to Z and yikes

DrCrawdad
01-05-2012, 12:37 AM
I think this is a great gamble that the Marlins are taking. Not saying its gonna work but small risk and potentially a great reward.

I agree.

KMcMahon817
01-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Man, I can't wait for the first time Hanley boots a ball at 3B while Z is pitching. Z vs Hanley...with Ozzie as the moderator, the greatest show on Earth!!

:o:

thomas35forever
01-05-2012, 02:15 AM
At least Mark won't have to worry about the media there concentrating on him. They'll all be concentrating on Z.

Over By There
01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Ozzie, Zambrano, Hanley, Morrison all in the same clubhouse... what could go wrong?

gregoriop
01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Ozzie, Zambrano, Hanley, Morrison all in the same clubhouse... what could go wrong?

You know, even if they lose 100 games, they will have at least gotten South Florida to think about baseball. Even if it is the inevitable drama bomb explosion, they've at least won that battle.

Foulke You
01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
My first thoughts were I wonder how MB feels now? He's a calming force, but add south beach to Z and yikes
If Zambrano asks Mark nicely, perhaps he'll show him his championship ring.:cool:

gobears1987
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM

They are basically taking Zambrano for $3 million. Under those conditions, most teams would take a gamble on him.

Golden Sox
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
There was talk late this past season when Ozzie was still our manager that the Sox would trade Dunn to the Cubs for Big Z. As much as I hate Big Z, I think i would rather have him as our DH than Dunn.

soxfanatlanta
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Coop will fix...oh wait...

GoGoCrede
01-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Normally I don't pay attention to teams not named the White Sox, but this has some serious :popcorn: potential. Can't wait.

downstairs
01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Better lock away the Gatorade machine.

PatK
01-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Seems like a better deal for the Fish if you ask me

asindc
01-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Seems like a better deal for the Fish if you ask me

It is. Much less expensive to eat $3 million (if Z blows up on the Marlins like he has with the Cubs) than it is to eat $15 million you won't see anything at all for. Epstein has just decided that the $15 million is the beginning cost of changing the organization's culture. If it can be reasonably absorbed, not really a bad decision, but the fact remains that it is a much better deal for the Marlins.

tstrike2000
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Glad he's finally out of Chicago.

ChiSoxGirl
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Zambrano and Ozzie deserve one another. I just feel bad for Buehrls who will have to put up with having Zambrano as a teammate now. He better watch out. If provoked, Zambrano may practice his right cross on Mark's face!

Frontman
01-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Zambrano and Ozzie deserve one another. I just feel bad for Buehrls who will have to put up with having Zambrano as a teammate now. He better watch out. If provoked, Zambrano may practice his right cross on Mark's face!

With a team mate like Z, I think Mark should be more careful about locking up his gun cabinet!!!!

DSpivack
01-05-2012, 09:13 PM

With a team mate like Z, I think Mark should be more careful about locking up his gun cabinet!!!!

Don't forget Hanley, too, he's a bit of a headcase.

And Morrison seems like a real piece of work.

ChiSoxGirl
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Don't forget Hanley, too, he's a bit of a headcase.

And Morrison seems like a real piece of work.

I think GoGoCrede could be right. Outside of the Sox, the Marlins could be a :popcorn: of a team to watch this season!

StillMissOzzie
01-05-2012, 10:33 PM
It will be interesting to see if the combination of Ozzie and Z being in another contract year will be enough to keep Z on his best behavior or not.

At least Buehrle may only have to put up with Z for one year. The things a guy has to do to earn $14M. If Buehrle and Z have lockers together, that will officially be as close to a WS ring as he gets.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I think GoGoCrede could be right. Outside of the Sox, the Marlins could be a :popcorn: of a team to watch this season!

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if removing the Chicago media from the equation, coupled with some possible maturing by Zambrano that sometimes accompanies the sort of trade he was involved in, might render the situation in Miami tame compared to what could develop in Chicago this baseball summer.

siugrad25
01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Over the course of the last 10 years, I've loved rooting for the Marlins as my second team behind the White Sox ... but this is getting strange.

First it was Ozzie.

Next, the free agency frenzy.

And now with the additions of Buehrle and Zambrano, Miami is becoming Chicago south.

If anything I guess I'll have an enjoyable summer watching the Marlins if the Sox happen to stumble.

guillensdisciple
01-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Man, I had been pining for this to happen when Ozzie was on the sox as I had thought that Zambrano would be perfect alongside Ozzie. Looks like I got my wish, just in the wrong uniform.

gobears1987
01-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Yep, and I predict they will win more games than the White Sox.

Moses_Scurry
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Over the course of the last 10 years, I've loved rooting for the Marlins as my second team behind the White Sox ... but this is getting strange.

First it was Ozzie.

Next, the free agency frenzy.

And now with the additions of Buehrle and Zambrano, Miami is becoming Chicago south.

If anything I guess I'll have an enjoyable summer watching the Marlins if the Sox happen to stumble.

I'll be rooting for the Marlins. I will always root for Buehrle and Ozzie now that they are gone. And I don't hate Zambrano as much now that he is not a cub. I'm also tired of the phillies and braves. For that reason, I will also be rooting for the Nationals. That division is going to be incredible this year, especially if Prince signs with one of the teams.

gobears1987
01-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I'll be rooting for the Marlins. I will always root for Buehrle and Ozzie now that they are gone. And I don't hate Zambrano as much now that he is not a cub. I'm also tired of the phillies and braves. For that reason, I will also be rooting for the Nationals. That division is going to be incredible this year, especially if Prince signs with one of the teams.

The Mets will be destroyed in that division. I really feel for my friends who follow them.