PDA

View Full Version : Peavy---What can we expect?

LITTLE NELL
01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
If he stays healthy the whole year I'm going to say he goes 14-10 with 200 innings pitched and an ERA just under 4.

Foulke You
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
It's the "if he stays healthy" part that always makes predicting for Peavy tough. However, I think 12-15 wins is definitely a reasonable prediction if the health holds up and our offense scores more than 2 runs a game for him.

sox1970
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
33 starts and 220 innings.

aryzner
01-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm not confident we can even expect 125 innings, honestly.

I sure hope he stays healthy this year.

DSpivack
01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not confident we can even expect 125 innings, honestly.

I sure hope he stays healthy this year.

Yeah I really am not expecting anything from him. Just waiting out his contract like Rios and Dunn and bidding them good riddance.

bigdommer
01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
.500 record, say 9-9 with an ERA over 4.25 in 175 innings. Small park, suspect defense, suspect offense, declining K/9 ratio, etc.

russ99
01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
One interesting question that probably affects Peavy more than the other starters is how quick of a hook Ventura is going to have with his starters.

Ozzie liked to give the veteran starters plenty of leeway (sometimes to their detriment) and Peavy often would talk his way into much longer outings, and innings that he probably shouldn't have pitched due to pain/discomfort.

If Peavy gets a quicker hook that he has less success in talking the manager out of, he may put up better numbers and may save some wear on his arm.

DumpJerry
01-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Saying "if he can stay healthy" is silly because we can say that about anyone on the team.

As long as he has recovered from the surgery, he'll be a stud.

Irishsox1
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
What can we expect and what can we hope for?

Hope for.....16 wins
Expect.......DL

SI1020
01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't expect much of anything from him. With all the technical tools we have available today plot any kind of graph you want. His career is in a nosedive, and although it's definitely possible he can rebound, I wouldn't expect it. I'm pretty much resigned that he, Rios and Dunn were all major mistakes that won't be rectified until they are all gone. Before I get beat up, yes of course I hope I'm wrong. At least on one of them.

moochpuppy
01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
10-12 wins
4.20 ERA
180 innings
165 Ks

kittle42
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I expect a lot of talk and not so much else.

doublem23
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I will definitely be throwing a party the day the season ends and we can stuff Jake in a crate and mail his worthless ass back to Alabama.

That's about all I'm looking forward to.

sox1970
01-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I will definitely be throwing a party the day the season ends and we can stuff Jake in a crate and mail his worthless ass back to Alabama.

9 months to go, but in January I'm still optimistic he can have a decent season.

He wanted his normal offseason program which he couldn't have coming off surgery. So now he's getting it. Hopefully that translates to a good season and then he'll be gone either way.

CPditka
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Trade?

Do you think if there was a pitching starved team at the deadline we could move him. Not saying we need to get elite prospects back, but if his ERA was in the mid to high 3's, would he be moveable?

I have to think He or Gavin get moved by July. All this goes out the window if he winds up on the DL though.

Rotation after July:
Danks
Sale
Humber
Peavy/Gavin
Stewart/Axelrod

KMcMahon817
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know what to expect from Jake. I wonder what his take is on the whole situation. He seems like a decent guy, even though he has talked a lot without any results. I have to imagine he feels a little bad about all his injuries and lack of performance for the SOX. It makes me wonder that "if" he has a healthy year, and performs decently, if he would void the $4M buyout, and return to the SOX on a one or two year deal at about $6-7M per. Even if Jake has a good year this season, he is likely not going to be getting multi-year offers simply because GMs will be unsure if he can stay healthy. One more year of 200 innings pitched may help his cause for a multi-year deal. But of course, this whole idea would require Jake to pitch two years in a row without a long DL stint. That is probably very unlikely.

I just think that Peavy may feel he owes something to the SOX. I obviously do not know him personally, but I could see a scenario in which he voids the buyout and comes back on relatively affordable short-term deal after 2012.

#1swisher
01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I have high expectations for Peavy. That said, I predict we'll see a healthy, in shape Jake Peavy for '12. Also a no-hitter for #44 :cool:

palehozenychicty
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't know what to expect from Jake. I wonder what his take is on the whole situation. He seems like a decent guy, even though he has talked a lot without any results. I have to imagine he feels a little bad about all his injuries and lack of performance for the SOX. It makes me wonder that "if" he has a healthy year, and performs decently, if he would void the $4M buyout, and return to the SOX on a one or two year deal at about $6-7M per. Even if Jake has a good year this season, he is likely not going to be getting multi-year offers simply because GMs will be unsure if he can stay healthy. One more year of 200 innings pitched may help his cause for a multi-year deal. But of course, this whole idea would require Jake to pitch two years in a row without a long DL stint. That is probably very unlikely.

I just think that Peavy may feel he owes something to the SOX. I obviously do not know him personally, but I could see a scenario in which he voids the buyout and comes back on relatively affordable short-term deal after 2012.

I agree with this, if the scenario plays out. Realistically, if he contributes at a high level, he's gone. That's fine, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

white sox bill
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Ditto, I'll even start a "Jake Peavy Deprecation" thread

October26
01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I have high expectations for Peavy. That said, I predict we'll see a healthy, in shape Jake Peavy for '12. Also a no-hitter for #44 :cool:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to all 3 of your thoughts/expectations. I need to daydream a little, these days, and positive thoughts are good. I especially like the no-hitter part!

GoGoCrede
01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Saying "if he can stay healthy" is silly because we can say that about anyone on the team.

As long as he has recovered from the surgery, he'll be a stud.

And we know he'll do his very best, no dogging it.

slavko
01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Ditto, I'll even start a "Jake Peavy Deprecation" thread

Any depreciation at this point would be Declining Balance Method. (that's an accounting joke)

What do I expect? A toothless bulldog. Let's see if, when, and how he faces up to reality. Cy Young has long since disappeared from the rear view mirror.

manders_01
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Wow, I don't get the JP hate. :scratch:

I think as DJ said, we're going to see a stud. Despite the fact that he's not the longest Sox tenured SP, I think he will move into the SP leader role MB used to fill. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Jake on the mound, I think he'll do great things for us. :thumbsup:

soxinem1
01-04-2012, 06:17 PM

I think as DJ said, we're going to see a stud. Despite the fact that he's not the longest Sox tenured SP, I think he will move into the SP leader role MB used to fill. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Jake on the mound, I think he'll do great things for us. :thumbsup:

Try frustration. He reminds me of James Baldwin. All talk, no results.

He needs to take the ball, take it on schedule, take it at least into the seventh inning 32-34 times, and be an ace.

That is why he was acquired, that is why he is paid the big $$$$, and that is why he needs to live up to these expectations.

Jake accepted this when he waived his NTC and frankly has not lived up to the expectations.

Especially when you realize, as bad as he was, we got more wins out of Jaime Navarro in nearly the same amount of time, and Navarro plain out sucked.

DirtySox
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I expect a lot of talk and not so much else.

This.

Cannot wait until he's gone. Worthless.

DirtySox
01-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I just think that Peavy may feel he owes something to the SOX.

I highly doubt it. He stated last year that if the Sox end up rebuilding he wants to be traded. Then this off-season an "anonymous" veteran pitcher stated the same thing once again. Not hard to guess who it is.

amsteel
01-04-2012, 07:03 PM

In 08-11, Buehrle got paid 1.03M per win, to reach that level of production for his tenure w/ the Sox JP would need to win 32 games this year.

manders_01
01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
In 08-11, Buehrle got paid 1.03M per win, to reach that level of production for his tenure w/ the Sox JP would need to win 32 games this year.

Okay, but most of this disdain seems to be based on his character, that he's purposefully underperformed, etc. If it's truly just being frustrated with him, I wouldn't think the posts would be quite as mean-spirited in nature. But that's just me I guess.

sox1970
01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Okay, but most of this disdain seems to be based on his character, that he's purposefully underperformed, etc. If it's truly just being frustrated with him, I wouldn't think the posts would be quite as mean-spirited in nature. But that's just me I guess.

I'm going with the "we root for laundry" philosphy with Peavy.

Do I like him as a person? Not really. I think he's a big-mouthed phony.

But like I mentioned before, he's got 9 months left until he's gone either way. If he holds to his statement about having an normal workout program this year that he couldn't have last year because of his surgery, then maybe he does have one good season in him this year.

I'll be rooting for him because of the logo on the front of the jersey.

GoGoCrede
01-04-2012, 07:49 PM

I agree. Frustration with his constant injuries is understandable. Frustration with his character is another thing, because the one thing I've never thought Peavy to be is an underperformer on purpose. Say what you will about his tendency to run his mouth, he tries his hardest and I respect that. I'm sure he is the one who is most frustrated with his injuries.

SI1020
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Once again I'm wondering when did an evaluation or an opinion become hate? I just don't think it's likely, given his recent history that we can expect much quality or production from Jake. Even before his serious and freakish injury he was on the decline.

LITTLE NELL
01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't understand all the hate for him either. Why hate a guy because he's been unlucky with injuries for a good portion of his time with the Sox.
I keep looking back to that gutsy relief appearance last year as a sign of a good year to come if he remains healthy.

ChiSoxGal85
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't understand all the hate for him either. Why hate a guy because he's been unlucky with injuries for a good portion of his time with the Sox.
I keep looking back to that gutsy relief appearance last year as a sign of a good year to come if he remains healthy.

I was at that game and it was awesome, except that Jake later admitted that he was never really right after that. I admire Jake's desire to perform, but I hope that he and Robin can come to an understanding of sorts about what he is and is not capable of. We need him healthy.

KMcMahon817
01-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I highly doubt it. He stated last year that if the Sox end up rebuilding he wants to be traded. Then this off-season an "anonymous" veteran pitcher stated the same thing once again. Not hard to guess who it is.

My guess is Jake has a solid season, 12-10 3.9 ERA and 175 IP. And with that type of production, and spending another short stint on the DL, he is not going to have a bevy of multi-year options. If it is only a few million different, maybe.

But I also don't think KW will allow the SOX to go in the rebuilding phase that your post suggests.

DirtySox
01-04-2012, 11:40 PM
My guess is Jake has a solid season, 12-10 3.9 ERA and 175 IP. And with that type of production, and spending another short stint on the DL, he is not going to have a bevy of multi-year options. If it is only a few million different, maybe.

But I also don't think KW will allow the SOX to go in the rebuilding phase that your post suggests.

But the Sox are rebuilding. You can call it retooling, taking a step back, or what have you, but this isn't a team that will be contending unless almost everything goes right. The margin of error decreases even further if Floyd and/or Thornton are traded. Expect at least one of the two dealt before the season starts.

Semantics aside, I was just pointing out one of the reasons I very much dislike Jake Peavy. Stating you don't want to be around for rebuilding while he's one of the primary reasons the club is in that position? Dude needs to learn when to close his mouth. Shut up and pitch.

KMcMahon817
01-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Stating you don't want to be around for rebuilding while he's one of the primary reasons the club is in that position? Dude needs to learn when to close his mouth. Shut up and pitch.

No question about it.

DumpJerry
01-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Semantics aside, I was just pointing out one of the reasons I very much dislike Jake Peavy. Stating you don't want to be around for rebuilding while he's one of the primary reasons the club is in that position? Dude needs to learn when to close his mouth. Shut up and pitch.
Wow. Just wow.

kufram
01-05-2012, 06:45 AM
When Peavy was signed I got the impression the people here liked his attitude and hoped that it might rub off on some other players. He's not my favourite kind of guy, to be sure, but he can't be expected to have a personality transplant just because he has not been able to deliver as yet.

In baseball, at mlb level, you really can't expect anything from any player... there is too much that can go wrong injury-wise, especially with a pitcher.

I hope we get leadership and solid performances. Even if he fails at both of those it won't be because he's lazy and the word worthless seems very harsh about any human being.

DumpJerry
01-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Shouldn't we be asking the same question of Lillibridge? After all, like Peavy, he, too, went down to an injury. Beckham and Konerko, too.

doublem23
01-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Shouldn't we be asking the same question of Lillibridge? After all, like Peavy, he, too, went down to an injury. Beckham and Konerko, too.

Ha, right, highest paid starting pitcher... Utility infielder. Same diff.

DumpJerry
01-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Ha, right, highest paid starting pitcher... Utility infielder. Same diff.
Highest paid starting pitcher who played while hurt. You left out a key detail. Peavy could be paid $2.00 or $20,000,000-that does not change the fact that he was playing hurt. This is a not an Adam Dunn situation where we were constantly told there was nothing wrong with him physically. That is the guy we need to question, not Peavy.

doublem23
01-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Highest paid starting pitcher who played while hurt. You left out a key detail. Peavy could be paid $2.00 or $20,000,000-that does not change the fact that he was playing hurt. This is a not an Adam Dunn situation where we were constantly told there was nothing wrong with him physically. That is the guy we need to question, not Peavy.

Peavy pitched hurt because he's too much of A MANLY BULLDAWG to admit when he's ****ing hurt. There's a difference between gutting through pain and playing well and then trying to prove how tough of a man you are and playing like ****. 2011 Jake was definitely in the latter, not the former. And then, as has been noted, he has the gall to run his mouth about how he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding team, etc. while cashing $16 M worth of checks to put up numbers a AAAA pitcher would be ashamed of.

So yeah, **** you, Peavy. Thank god you'll be gone after this season. As for what to expect from him, last two seasons he's averaged about 20 starts, 100 IP, .500 record, ERA approaching 5. Sounds about right. Basically... Nothing.

Johnny Mostil
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Serious question: has there ever before been a pitcher who had five years between 200 IP seasons?

Edit: I found one, John Smoltz, who had 256 IP in 1997 then 229 2/3 in 2005. Some of the intervening seasons were as the Braves' closer.

Sad
01-05-2012, 08:13 AM

hence the "If he can stay healthy" not being a silly comment...

I don't hate him, I have low expectations as many others... I hope I am wrong...

TheOldRoman
01-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Interesting thread. I expected to find temper tantrums, and I wasn't dissapointed. Or maybe I was. Basically, we hate Jake because he had the nerve to have a horrific shoulder injury and then not be at full strenght 9 months later. The only thing worse than getting injured is saying that you hope to pitch well after that injury.

01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
40 saves. 2.50ish ERA.

GoGoCrede
01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Interesting thread. I expected to find temper tantrums, and I wasn't dissapointed. Or maybe I was. Basically, we hate Jake because he had the nerve to have a horrific shoulder injury and then not be at full strenght 9 months later. The only thing worse than getting injured is saying that you hope to pitch well after that injury.

I agree with your thoughts about Peavy. What I find interesting is that many people - not necessarily here - were angry with Javy for saying that no matter what happened during the season, he still had his family and beach to go to. Many bemoaned his lack of commitment to the game. And now there's Peavy, whose commitment was so strong that he pitched injured. I'm not saying pitching injured was a smart thing to do, just pointing out that if I really had to choose between the two attitudes, I'd choose Peavy. Which isn't to say that I don't respect Javy's position either - not everyone lives for the game. Just my two cents, but I've liked Peavy since the day the Sox acquired him.

As for his comments about not wanting to be on a rebuilding team, wasn't it not confirmed that it was actually him who said that?

kufram
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with your thoughts about Peavy. What I find interesting is that many people - not necessarily here - were angry with Javy for saying that no matter what happened during the season, he still had his family and beach to go to. Many bemoaned his lack of commitment to the game. And now there's Peavy, whose commitment was so strong that he pitched injured. I'm not saying pitching injured was a smart thing to do, just pointing out that if I really had to choose between the two attitudes, I'd choose Peavy. Which isn't to say that I don't respect Javy's position either - not everyone lives for the game. Just my two cents, but I've liked Peavy since the day the Sox acquired him.

As for his comments about not wanting to be on a rebuilding team, wasn't it not confirmed that it was actually him who said that?

I agree with you. I'd rather have a guy that hurts himself giving too much than a guy that doesn't give enough. I think people like targets to aim at.. another thread, another target. Telling people to shut up about things they are rumoured to have said says enough.

SI1020
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Interesting thread. I expected to find temper tantrums, and I wasn't dissapointed. Or maybe I was. Basically, we hate Jake because he had the nerve to have a horrific shoulder injury and then not be at full strenght 9 months later. The only thing worse than getting injured is saying that you hope to pitch well after that injury. A horrific injury the likes of which is rarely seen, so there is no track record at least in baseball, to gauge how long it might take to recover, or if that is even possible. Add that to his previous injuries and general decline in performance and the odds don't look so good for Jake. It will be a tremendous comeback story, if he's able to do it. I just doubt that he will, although I certainly will pull for him to make it back.

amsteel
01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Wanting to play while injured is great. It shows desire and commitment to helping the team. Actually doing it? Stupid and selfish.

Also the fact from 09-11 he has 2 fewer wins than Bruce Chen and has made 12$M more than Justin Verlander.

He's the manifestation of a ****ty signing by KW. Does he deserve all the scorn we heap upon him? Probably not. But if he was 1/2 the pitcher we expected him to be, or a 1/4 the pitcher he thinks he is, it wouldn't be an issue.

white sox bill
01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Any depreciation at this point would be Declining Balance Method. (that's an accounting joke)

What do I expect? A toothless bulldog. Let's see if, when, and how he faces up to reality. Cy Young has long since disappeared from the rear view mirror.
Glad someone got my dark humor. :smile: Gotta love those bean counters! Is another term diminishing return?

Jake was a one and done Cy Young winner. Just another albatross on our team

mzh
01-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Some of us aren't mad at him because he hasn't pitched well after this unheard of injury, we're mad at him because he refused to admit he was still hurt and as a result got the **** knocked out of him. Regardless of the circumstances, that's detrimental to the team. We probably could have gotten better starts from Axelrod or Stewart over the extended time it took for Peavy to fully recover, but instead he chose to run his mouth and deny himself the opportunity to do so.

If he had gone out to a post game presser and said "I'm still hurt and probably need more time to rehab clearly" I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but instead every time it's "I just don't know what's going on out there". That's what pisses me off.

Nellie_Fox
01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
If he had gone out to a post game presser and said "I'm still hurt and probably need more time to rehab clearly" I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but instead every time it's "I just don't know what's going on out there". That's what pisses me off.B.S. I'm not speculating on what YOU would have said, but I guarantee there'd have been dozens of posters here who would have been ripping him for being a dog and not gutting it out. People have to stop taking this stuff personally. He tried to come back and earn his money and it didn't work. It's that simple. To hate him for it is ridiculous.

asindc
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Peavy pitched hurt because he's too much of A MANLY BULLDAWG to admit when he's ****ing hurt. There's a difference between gutting through pain and playing well and then trying to prove how tough of a man you are and playing like ****. 2011 Jake was definitely in the latter, not the former. And then, as has been noted, he has the gall to run his mouth about how he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding team, etc. while cashing $16 M worth of checks to put up numbers a AAAA pitcher would be ashamed of.

So yeah, **** you, Peavy. Thank god you'll be gone after this season. As for what to expect from him, last two seasons he's averaged about 20 starts, 100 IP, .500 record, ERA approaching 5. Sounds about right. Basically... Nothing.

This is really what has disappointed me about Peavy. I don't know if the quote has been confirmed as coming from him, but if he is in fact the player who said that, then **** him. Shut the hell up and earn your actual salary before even thinking of saying something like that. And yes, I'm factoring in the very unique nature of his injury, which I don't blame him for at all.

GoGoCrede
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
This is really what has disappointed me about Peavy. I don't know if the quote has been confirmed as coming from him, but if he is in fact the player who said that, then **** him. Shut the hell up and earn your actual salary before even thinking of saying something like that. And yes, I'm factoring in the very unique nature of his injury, which I don't blame him for at all.

I think he's just brutally honest (again, if he's the one who said it). I know many people were pissed off by his comments, but he said as much even before he got injured. He's always been clear that he wants to contend. And who wouldn't, really? A lot of people are nervous about where this team is going to be in the standings at the end of the 2012 season. I think he's voicing the trepidation that a lot of fans feel. I think I've just got a permanent soft spot for him and his drive. And yeah, he can't help that he's injured.

mzh
01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
B.S. I'm not speculating on what YOU would have said, but I guarantee there'd have been dozens of posters here who would have been ripping him for being a dog and not gutting it out. People have to stop taking this stuff personally. He tried to come back and earn his money and it didn't work. It's that simple. To hate him for it is ridiculous.

Fair enough. Some people might have said that, but all I know is that having played baseball at least through a high school level (as I'm sure many here have), I'm aware of the fact that if you're hurt, you're hurt, and there ain't much you can do but get better. Again, that's just me. Its perfectly understandable that he wasn't as fully recovered as he thought he was. I just think its BS that he continued to let himself get bombed without acknowledging the real reason for it.

SoxNation05
01-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I love Jake Peavy.

You can never hate on someone for getting hurt aslong as they put in work in the offseason like Peavy does.

I love his attitude. I love his cocky attitude. If everyone on the team had Jake's mindset we would have been in a much better place last season.

Jake talks a big game because he knows he has it in him. He has done it, he is a winner, it's just a matter of health.