PDA

View Full Version : Sox players that started and finished with the team.

ZombieRob
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
A poster on FB awhile back asked a good question. How many White Sox players started and finished their career for our beloved? I thought of 2 Britt Burns and Ron Karkovice. I think he also added it had to be a min of 5 to 7 years service.

Brian26
01-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Technically, Burns finished his career with the Yankees (one of those "good" Hawk trades that he never gets credit for).

ZombieRob
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Technically, Burns finished his career with the Yankees (one of those "good" Hawk trades that he never gets credit for).
You're right. This really is a tough question. Probably have to go way back to find a few of them.

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Off the top of my head; Luke Appling, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, Buck Weaver and Johnny Mostil. I'm sure there are quite a few more who were not very good and only lasted a few years. Monty Stratton was very good but his career was cut short when he accidently shot himself in the leg while hunting.

A. Cavatica
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Here's one.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/egberja01.shtml

DumpJerry
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Since the onset of free agency in baseball, there are very few players who can make that claim with any team.

Derek Jeter is one notable exception that people come up with. Back in the day, Jeter would have been rule and not the exception. If Jeter was drafted by anyone but the Yankees, he would have been on more than one team because his value as a free agent would have made him too expensive for anyone but the Yankees.

ZombieRob
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Would Ron Kittle count even though he didn't play his whole career here?

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Would Ron Kittle count even though he didn't play his whole career here?

That list would also include Harold Baines, but I think the OP meant players that spent their whole career with the Sox.

Noneck
01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
I have been following the Sox since the early 60's and I cant think of any player with say 5 years that never played elsewhere during the period 1960 - present. This is a good trivia question.

BleacherBandit
01-02-2012, 08:39 PM
God, I wish Frank Thomas was on that list.

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I have been following the Sox since the early 60's and I cant think of any player with say 5 years that never played elsewhere during the period 1960 - present. This is a good trivia question.

I go back to the early 50s and I can't come up with any since then. Sort of sad.
Sammy Esposito and Greg Walker came close.

Noneck
01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I go back to the early 50s and I can't come up with any since then. Sort of sad.

Yea it is considering you go back enough before FA's and the Sox were good during that period.

SOXPHILE
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Mike Caruso.

DumpJerry
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Mike Caruso.
Fail (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carusmi01.shtml). The Royals are not the White Sox.

Noneck
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Mike Caruso.

Sorry, He played for the royals on 02.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carusmi01.shtml

DumpJerry
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
A poster on FB awhile back asked a good question. How many White Sox players started and finished their career for our beloved? I thought of 2 Britt Burns and Ron Karkovice. I think he also added it had to be a min of 5 to 7 years service.

Good call on Burns. He never made an appearance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/burnsbr01.shtml) in a non-White Sox uniform.

TDog
01-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Here's one.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/egberja01.shtml

I was expecting Sam Hairston, the father and grandfather of major league players and the first African-American player to play for the Sox (any major league Sox, as he was about eight years ahead of Pumpsie Green, and, of course, Minnie Minoso was African-Cuban). Hairston played in twice as many games as Egbert and had a .400 batting average (.571 on-base percentage) for his career.

Of course, the pioneer Hairston only played four games and fell four seasons short of five seasons. Jack Hardy pitched in five major league games, all with the White Sox after his roommate, Mike Yastrzemski, retired not making it past AAA. A lot of pitchers only got one break, blew it and don't make it back. In Todd Rizzo's debut with the Sox, he gave up six runs without getting an out, but he stuck around long enough to retire 24 hitters in the next two seasons so that they didn't have to stick an infinity symbol in his ERA column.

Of course, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron and Babe Ruth didn't finish with the teams that brought them up. Aaron and Ruth finished their careers in the other league. The same could be said for Ron Santo and Billy Williams, although Santo wouldn't have admitted as much. Back in the day, there was quite a bit of player movement just as there is now. The difference is that the reserve clause greatly minimized the say players had in the matter.

But, as ZombieRob hinted at, I initially believed the answer might be Buddy Bradford or Harold Baines, players that came up with the Sox, went away, came back, went away, came back, whatever, but ended up with the White Sox.

So I'm going with Harold.

TDog
01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Good call on Burns. He never made an appearance (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/burnsbr01.shtml) in a non-White Sox uniform.

Then you can add Mike Sirotka (6 years) to the list. After the 2000 ALDS, he never pitched in another major league game.

DumpJerry
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Then you can add Mike Sirotka (6 years) to the list. After the 2000 ALDS, he never pitched in another major league game.
That was when Kenny was good.

Karkovice signed with the the Tribe after his Sox days were over, but never appeared in a game for them.

TommyJohn
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I was expecting Sam Hairston, the father and grandfather of major league players and the first African-American player to play for the Sox (any major league Sox, as he was about eight years ahead of Pumpsie Green, and, of course, Minnie Minoso was African-Cuban). Hairston played in twice as many games as Egbert and had a .400 batting average (.571 on-base percentage) for his career.

Of course, the pioneer Hairston only played four games and fell four seasons short of five seasons. Jack Hardy pitched in five major league games, all with the White Sox after his roommate, Mike Yastrzemski, retired not making it past AAA. A lot of pitchers only got one break, blew it and don't make it back. In Todd Rizzo's debut with the Sox, he gave up six runs without getting an out, but he stuck around long enough to retire 24 hitters in the next two seasons so that they didn't have to stick an infinity symbol in his ERA column.

Of course, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron and Babe Ruth didn't finish with the teams that brought them up. Aaron and Ruth finished their careers in the other league. The same could be said for Ron Santo and Billy Williams, although Santo wouldn't have admitted as much. Back in the day, there was quite a bit of player movement just as there is now. The difference is that the reserve clause greatly minimized the say players had in the matter.

But, as ZombieRob hinted at, I initially believed the answer might be Buddy Bradford or Harold Baines, players that came up with the Sox, went away, came back, went away, came back, whatever, but ended up with the White Sox.

So I'm going with Harold.

Fun fact about Aaron, Ruth and Mays-all three finished their careers in the cities they started in, but with different teams.

TDog
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Fun fact about Aaron, Ruth and Mays-all three finished their careers in the cities they started in, but with different teams.

Sadly, that isn't the only thing they have in common with Ron Santo.

DumpJerry
01-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I give up. What else do they have in common with Santo?

Noneck
01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I give up. What else do they have in common with Santo?

All are HOfers?

oldcomiskey
01-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Sammy Esposito and Greg Walker came close.

Nope. Not Walker anyway....he played in 14 games for the 90 Orioles

LITTLE NELL
01-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Nope. Not Walker anyway....he played in 14 games for the 90 Orioles

That's why I said close, same with Esposito as he played 18 games with KC in his last year.

kittle42
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Well played.

wilburaga
01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Mike Squires - 10 years with the Sox and never property of another organization.

LITTLE NELL
01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Mike Squires - 10 years with the Sox and never property of another organization.

Excellent, good job.

LITTLE NELL
01-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Found one; Francisco Barrios

Paulwny
01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Harry Chappas
Marv Foley
Johnny Mostel
Lee Tannehill

LITTLE NELL
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Harry Chappas
Marv Foley
Johnny Mostel
Lee Tannehill

Posted Mostil before.

tacosalbarojas
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Spanky!

doublem23
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Does Mike Sirotka qualify? Even though he was traded to Toronto and worked out for a few teams in Spring Training, he never threw a pitch in a meaningful game outside of the White Sox organization.

kba
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Bart Johnson. Drafted by the Sox in 1968; pitched 1969 - 1977. Never was property of another team.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
From my interview with Bart Johnson:

ML: 1977 was the last year you played with the Sox, they released you in April 1978. Why did you decide to retire?

BJ: “Well I actually signed with Oakland after the Sox released me and played for their minor league team in Vancouver. Then when Chuck (Tanner) became the Pirates manager in 1979, I tried out with them. They optioned me to the Mexican League and I pitched there until a strike came. I remember getting paid and put money in each of my shoes and left. I never went back.”

Lip

kba
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
From my interview with Bart Johnson:

ML: 1977 was the last year you played with the Sox, they released you in April 1978. Why did you decide to retire?

BJ: “Well I actually signed with Oakland after the Sox released me and played for their minor league team in Vancouver. Then when Chuck (Tanner) became the Pirates manager in 1979, I tried out with them. They optioned me to the Mexican League and I pitched there until a strike came. I remember getting paid and put money in each of my shoes and left. I never went back.”

Lip

I stand corrected. Bart Johnson played his entire (U.S.) career in the Sox organization except for the one inning (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=johnso002cla) he pitched for Vancouver in 1978. Still, his entire major league career was with the Sox.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2012, 12:51 PM
KBA:

Not saying you're wrong. It all depends on your definition of 'entire carrer' doesn't it?

Lip

voodoochile
01-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Haaarold took his first and final AB with the Sox.

I know he didn't spend his entire career here, but he does fulfill the details of the original question.

Brian26
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Haaarold took his first and final AB with the Sox.

I know he didn't spend his entire career here, but he does fulfill the details of the original question.

It's interesting to note that Reinsdorf blames himself for Harold not being a Hall of Famer.

Himes talked Reinsdorf into making the trade with Texas in '89. If Harold stayed with the Sox, he most likely never would have been platooned like he was with Texas, Oakland and Baltimore. He would have reached 3000 hits easily.

Harold's 2001 season was difficult to watch with the Sox. He had nothing left in the tank.

Brian26
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Does Mike Sirotka qualify? Even though he was traded to Toronto and worked out for a few teams in Spring Training, he never threw a pitch in a meaningful game outside of the White Sox organization.

Sirotka wore a Blue Jays and Cubs uniform and worked with both teams in Spring Training, even though he didn't play after the 2000 season.
http://espn.go.com/media/mlb/2001/0219/photo/a_sirotka_i.jpg

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/card/images/headshot_17644.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
It's interesting to note that Reinsdorf blames himself for Harold not being a Hall of Famer.

Himes talked Reinsdorf into making the trade with Texas in '89. If Harold stayed with the Sox, he most likely never would have been platooned like he was with Texas, Oakland and Baltimore. He would have reached 3000 hits easily.

Harold's 2001 season was difficult to watch with the Sox. He had nothing left in the tank.

I wonder what it would have been like to have Baines protecting Frank in the Sox lineup throughout the 90s.

TDog
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I wonder what it would have been like to have Baines protecting Frank in the Sox lineup throughout the 90s.

If the White Sox had not traded Harold Baines, it is very likely they would not have been in a position to draft Frank Thomas.

Frater Perdurabo
01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
If the White Sox had not traded Harold Baines, it is very likely they would not have been in a position to draft Frank Thomas.

He was drafted in 89, before Baines was dealt.

Frater Perdurabo
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM

They might not have been in a position to draft Alex Fernandez, though.

gobears1987
01-09-2012, 03:57 AM

:chunks:

forrestg
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Dave Debussier played 2 years for the sox before playing in the NBA.

LITTLE NELL
01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Dave Debussier played 2 years for the sox before playing in the NBA.

Dave DeBusschere, was not a bad pitcher, 2.90 ERA in 2 in his 2 years with the Sox.