PDA

View Full Version : Dayan's contract

maristsox
01-01-2012, 11:31 PM
What happens with Viciedo's contract after this year? Does he enter arbitration or is he a FA?

Thanks

sox1970
01-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I think he's just under control like any other player with 1 full yr of service time. He's definitely not a free agent.

doublem23
01-01-2012, 11:42 PM
According to B-R, Dayan's under the Sox's control through the 2017 season.

Pre-Arb the next two years and the 2015-2017 are his Arbitration seasons.

TDog
01-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Viciedo cannot become a free agent if the White Sox offer him a contract. He is not eligible for arbitration until 2015.

Noneck
01-01-2012, 11:49 PM
After this year the Sox do not have to offer him arbitration and can be free and clear of him with no additional money owed to him.

WLL1855
01-03-2012, 03:16 AM
After this year the Sox do not have to offer him arbitration and can be free and clear of him with no additional money owed to him.

Noneck would like the guy tarred and feathered on his way out of town if it is at all possible as well.

:rolleyes:

Noneck
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Noneck would like the guy tarred and feathered on his way out of town if it is at all possible as well.

:rolleyes:

Nah, I just want the book to be finally closed on this 10M gamble and for the Sox to move on to fill a hole that is now desperately needed to be filled.

DSpivack
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm hoping a $10 million investment for the Sox succeeds and does not fail, but that's just me.

Another question: If the Sox do elect to keep him after this year, and since he is not yet arbitration eligible, what happens in 2013 and 2014? Does he just make the minimum?

eriqjaffe
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Another question: If the Sox do elect to keep him after this year, and since he is not yet arbitration eligible, what happens in 2013 and 2014? Does he just make the minimum?I would assume that he'd be arbitration eligible, and I think that he can't earn less than 80% of what he got in his previous season, so he'd be guaranteed to make at least ~$2 million in 2013. 2014 would then be based off of that.

That being said, when's the last time the Sox went to arbitration with somebody? They usually at least get players to negotiate 1-year deals without an arbiter.

DSpivack
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I would assume that he'd be arbitration eligible, and I think that he can't earn less than 80% of what he got in his previous season, so he'd be guaranteed to make at least ~$2 million in 2013. 2014 would then be based off of that.

That being said, when's the last time the Sox went to arbitration with somebody? They usually at least get players to negotiate 1-year deals without an arbiter.

He's not eligible for arbitration until 2015.

DirtySox
01-03-2012, 02:52 PM
He's not eligible for arbitration until 2015.

He's not eligible for arbitration as you said. But he's right about the 80% and 2 million I believe. I'm almost positive the Sox can't just start paying him league minimum.

DSpivack
01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
He's not eligible for arbitration as you said. But he's right about the 80% and 2 million I believe. I'm almost positive the Sox can't just start paying him league minimum.

So the Sox would just pay him $1.8 million or so, then? Or would they have to negotiate a new contract with him?

eriqjaffe
01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
He's not eligible for arbitration until 2015.My mistake there. I was forgetting about how ML service time factors in.

DirtySox
01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
So the Sox would just pay him $1.8 million or so, then? Or would they have to negotiate a new contract with him?

I believe they have to pay him at least 80% of the $2.5 million ($2M) each year until arbitration.

KMcMahon817
01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Nah, I just want the book to be finally closed on this 10M gamble and for the Sox to move on to fill a hole that is now desperately needed to be filled.

Your dislike for Dayan is strange.

Noneck
01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Your dislike for Dayan is strange.

I dont dislike people I dont know, I just dont think he a very good ball player.

TDog
01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

That seems right. I haven't read the new CBA, but even back in the reserve clause days when players had no negotiating leverage (players held out, but they couldn't play elsewhere without being released), the maximum pay cut was 20 percent. It used to be a reason that contracts were backloaded, although it doesn't often apply anymore. If you become a free agent because you file for free agency or your team doesn't pick up your option and thrusts free agency upon you, your old team could sign you up for less than half you earned in your last contract.

Viciedo's situation, though, is not unlike that of a top draft pick. More than a decade ago, Mark Prior signed with the Cubs out of college for $10.5 million for five years. Stephen Strasburg signed a four-year contract out of college for more than $15 million. And neither was able to negotiate with other teams to drive up their price. Also, pitchers also tend to be bigger risks than position players (and, in fact, both Prior and Strasburg had arm problems) making them bigger gambles.

Shortstop Tim Beckham, the first pick in the draft in which the Sox picked up Gordon Beckham, got an $11.25 million six-year contract, and Baseball America doesn't even list him among their top 50 prospects anymore. Developing top prospects is an expensive proposition.

But I actually like Viciedo as a hitter, and he seems to be improving.