PDA

View Full Version : Jason Frasor Traded Back to the Blue Jays

yazz32
01-01-2012, 12:39 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1432471711/cws_lg_normal.jpg
whitesox (https://twitter.com/#!/whitesox) Chicago White Sox

White Sox acquire RHPs Myles Jaye and Daniel Webb from Toronto for RHP Jason Frasor.

Moses_Scurry
01-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Weird. kW and AA seem to be developing quite the relationship.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-01-2012, 12:47 PM
White Sox= AAAA?...

yazz32
01-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Kenny clearing up even more salary to make a run for Yoennis Cespedes??

DirtySox
Neither prospect is anything exciting. Though that should be expected given Frasor's value.

korhead
"@BarryRozner (https://twitter.com/#%21/BarryRozner)
The Chicago White Sox have acquired RH pitchers Myles Jaye and Daniel Webb from the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for RH Jason Frasor."

Tweeted by Rozner and David Haugh.

TheOldRoman
01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I think a lot of people were surprised when KW picked up his option, most felt we would let him go for nothing. I don't know anything about these prospects, and I'm sure they aren't anything special, but at least we got something for him.

korhead
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry...beaten to the punch!

Merge or delete.

Happy New Year!!!

gr8mexico
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Kenny clearing up even more salary to make a run for Yoennis Cespedes??

I'm actually thinking that might be true. That would boost the minor league system fast

yazz32
01-01-2012, 12:55 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120101&content_id=26250426&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

More info on Jaye and Webb

WhiteSox5187
01-01-2012, 12:57 PM
That Edwin Jackson trade is starting to look more and more like Nick Swisher part two.

CHISOXFAN13
01-01-2012, 01:05 PM
That Edwin Jackson trade is starting to look more and more like Nick Swisher part two.

Not even close. The Sox freed themselves of horrible money with Teahen in the Jackson trade.

SoxSpeed22
01-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Not bad long-term gambles. Jaye is someone who has a lot of projection, despite some command issues. Webb is a power arm with good work ethic, but also has problems with command and location. Maybe Kirk saw some hitch in his mechanics and might be able to change those. Both of these guys can bring some reward for a reliever we weren't going to use anyway.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Jaye is mildly interesting as a projectable prep arm. He was an overslot pick in 2010. Could end up a back of the rotation type. Long ways to go though considering he's only pitched in rookie ball.

Moses_Scurry
01-01-2012, 01:10 PM
What are your fondest memories of the Jason Frasor era?

RowanDye
01-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm actually thinking that might be true. That would boost the minor league system fast

Cespedes is 26 yrs old. I don't think he'd be spending too much time in the minors.

Tragg
01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Weird. kW and AA seem to be developing quite the relationship.

That's an aspect that just rubs me wrong. He gives these players to the same set of teams.

And I will point out he gave a legitimate prospect for the woeful Pena to one of his friendly teams. He just doesn't get them in return.

The 2 Jackson trades are like the 2 Swisher trades light-we gave away 2 top prospects for 1 year of use, and we got basically nothing in return, except for dumping Teahen and the prayer that Stewart is better than Marquez. Williams' value evaluation and negotiation skills are just bizarre.

LoveYourSuit
01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
3 effective arms now gone from the pen. Sale, Santos, and Frasor.

I don't get what the plan is.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Cespedes is 26 yrs old. I don't think he'd be spending too much time in the minors.

By most accounts he needs some minor league time. Likely in AAA.

russ99
01-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Another $3.75M cut from the payroll.

If this means that we can keep Floyd, and get two low-minor arms for a guy who's not a late inning reliever, I'm happy with it.

Only one more salary dump to go, and considering lefthanded setup is in demand, we should get some nice pieces for Thornton. Reed and Infante should step into the pen with little drop-off, so I'm not too worried about the pen other than if Crane can handle closer. Kenny could also add a FA bullpen guy for cheap in mid February.

I wish Kenny would ditch Ohman for a mid level prospect too, if he's cutting bullpen salary.

thomas35forever
01-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Makes you wonder if the Sox picked up his option just to get something for him.

KRS1
01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Actually seems like decent return for a guy who has zero value to a rebuilding team. Webb looks like an interesting starter to reliever conversion with high 90s stuff and Jaye looks like a promising young developmental kid.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-01-2012, 01:59 PM
If we went into this off season worried about how many relievers we had in our minor league system, I think KW has taken care of that problem.

PatK
01-01-2012, 02:14 PM
If we went into this off season worried about how many relievers we had in our minor league system, I think KW has taken care of that problem.

Now I'm worried about how many we have on the major league roster

Foulke You
01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Now I'm worried about how many we have on the major league roster
Yep, the bullpen is probably going to be pretty young next year. Look for guys like Reed, Santiago, and others to have major roles next season in the 7th and 8th innings especially if Crain moves to the closer role. I'm glad we cleared that salary though. As a previous poster said, KW might be able to add a veteran right handed setup guy on the cheap in February.

PaleHoser
01-01-2012, 02:46 PM

That we dumped Mark Teahen to get him.

I haven't checked the draft history of the two guys we got for Frasor to see if they could have been acquired in the Edwin Jackson trade.

If they could have been had then, I'd have rather taken them in July and saved the $1.5M or so we paid Frasor the two months he was here.

Brian26
01-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Not even close.

cheezheadsoxfan
01-01-2012, 03:33 PM

I didn't process the "from the pen" part quick enough. Scared me!:o:
I'm with the poster who said if this helps keep Floyd, it's a good thing.

TDog
01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Not even close.

There was a strong sentiment at WSI for the need to trade Edwin Jackson from the day the White Sox acquired him -- literally, considering the belief that Jackson was supposed to be part of a deal that would bring Adam Dunn to the White Sox. (That might have been a good thing in retrospect, although I believe it to have been a fantasy. Dunn's failures with the White Sox on the eve of free agency would have soured the White Sox on signing him as a free agent.)

Now Jackson is a free agent with a World Series ring, and the White Sox have two minor league pitching prospects and Zach Stewart that they wouldn't have had if the White Sox had not traded Edwin Jackson. Mark Teahen wasn't the key player in the deal.

It's true that people think Kenny Williams is an idiot for not getting more for Jackson or Frasor (or Quentin ...), but maybe if the White Sox had resigned Dotel, they could have put together a deal that would have brought Colby Rasmus to the White Sox. And maybe in three to five years, what the White Sox ended up getting in this Jackson-Frasor flurry of transactions will look more impressive than what the Blue Jays or Cardinals got out of it (although if you're a Cardinals fan, you can't complain about moves that contributed to a World Series title).

Thome25
01-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I tend to believe that the Sox are in on Cespedes especially with the recent salary dumps of Quentin and Frasor:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/8386/both-chicago-clubs-may-pursue-cespedes

“What I will say is there are some doors that are now open for us that were not open yesterday because of the savings of dollars. But, which direction we are heading with that, [talking about it] I think would be counterproductive with us getting something done should we decide to go down that road.”

This isn't the first I've heard of their interest. They supposedly held a workout for him a couple of weeks ago and there may be a high comfort level for Cespedes with the White Sox given their recent history with Cuban ballplayers.

Noneck
01-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I tend to believe that the Sox are in on Cespedes especially with the recent salary dumps of Quentin and Frasor:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/8386/both-chicago-clubs-may-pursue-cespedes

This isn't the first I've heard of their interest. They supposedly held a workout for him a couple of weeks ago and there may be a high comfort level for Cespedes with the White Sox given their recent history with Cuban ballplayers.

Do you really think the Sox will competitively bid for Cespedes considering their competition?

soxinem1
01-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Do you really think the Sox will competitively bid for Cespedes considering their competition?

Maybe, but not many gave them a chance to sign Tank.

With NYY, BOS, and TB all watching their wallets, and LAAA and TEX maxed out, you never know.

Thome25
01-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Yes I do. KW is looking for young "win now" type players. Cespedes fits both criteria.

I don't think the competition is as stiff as you think.

Bucky F. Dent
01-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes I do. KW is looking for young "win now" type players. Cespedes fits both criteria.

I don't think the competition is as stiff as you think.

Glad you cleared that up, Thome. I was having a hard time figuring out what the hell KW was doing!

Noneck
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Maybe, but not many gave them a chance to sign Tank.

Viciedo was very young and everyone knew it would take awhile for him to get to the bigs but with no guarantee and no one still knows what will happen 4 years into that gamble. Cespedes is supposedly ready to walk right into a starting lineup. That is very appealing to clubs and fans bases that want to win now, particularly new york and boston. Both of those teams have not done much in the off season and are always trying to better themselves for the present. To me this sounds a lot different than the Sox signing Viciedo.

soxfanreggie
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM

Go for the #1 overall draft pick next year, or at least a top-5, and dump as much 2012 salary as we can? Perhaps he'll offer Vizquel the bare minimum to come back for one last year. Probably not though as he would make much more than someone he can give the absolute minimum to - perhaps Ozzie Martinez or Eduardo Escobar will fill in as a back-up IF.

DirtySox
01-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Cespedes is supposedly ready to walk right into a starting lineup.

Cespedes needs some minor league time. Perhaps not much, but most agree it would serve him well in addition to giving him time to acclimate.

Vernam
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM

Just off the top of my head, I'd say today is it.

Vernam

doublem23
01-02-2012, 02:58 AM

I must have missed the times when Frasor was an effective arm in the 'pen.

Fine, but nothing irreplaceable.

Crain, Thornton, and Reed is still a really nice bullpen core.

Chez
01-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Sox are going to need another minor league team where they can stash all the arms they have stock-piled.

soxinem1
01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I must have missed the times when Frasor was an effective arm in the 'pen.

Fine, but nothing irreplaceable.

Crain, Thornton, and Reed is still a really nice bullpen core.

Exactly. Not sure why this trade is so bad. Frasor wasn't all that good, and he is a 34 year-old middle reliever.

Besides, there are many FA relievers sitting out there needing jobs just six weeks until ST if we need a little more depth.

cws05champ
01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Exactly. Not sure why this trade is so bad. Frasor wasn't all that good, and he is a 34 year-old middle reliever.

Besides, there are many FA relievers sitting out there needing jobs just six weeks until ST if we need a little more depth.

And if there is one thing the Sox do have in the minors it's relief pitching. I think you'll see some good competition in Spring training with the likes of Jones, Marinez, Infante, Santiago trying to make the team. No need to have a 34yr old middle reliever making 3.5M on this team. One thing is for sure, there will be a few control issues to whichever young arm takes the last 1-2 BP spots. Most of the guys mentioned above have their control issues(except maybe Santiago).

Tragg
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I get that Frasor had marginal trade value (although we traded for him). But so did Pena - and yet Williams saw fit to deliver a top prospect for him (and say what you want about Brandon Allen's flaws and position in a weak Sox system, he was still far more highly regarded than anything we got for Frasor).
Some consistency in the trading, please. If we get junk, let's give junk.

delben91
01-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I've not read anything about this trade, don't know the players the Sox got in return, and have no idea if management made any comments about how this fits into the grander 2012 plan, whatever that may be.

However, I must assume, since KW made this trade, and he is the worst GM in the history of professional sports, that it must be a "brutal," "worthless," or otherwise "idiotic" trade.

JB98
01-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Frasor is nothing special. I was opposed to picking up his option. This trade is nothing special either, but two arms are better than one.

JC456
01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
white sox= aaaa?...
+1

JC456
01-03-2012, 09:40 AM
He's gone!

bigdommer
01-03-2012, 04:25 PM

I know where you are going with this, but I don't think it's close. In the Swisher deal, KW dealt a prospect with top of the rotation upside (Gio), a useful MLB 4th OF (Sweeney), and a future useful bullpen arm (De Los Santos. He acquired a player (Swisher) who had only two valuable baseball skills with an escalating long term contract.

In the Jackson trade, KW gave up a projected middle of the rotation guy in Hudson (not my opinion, just scouts at the time of the trade; BA called him a "high maintenance" delivery guy with a high HR rate). With Edwin Jackson, KW got 1.5 years of predictable salary that ended up being in line with his performance. Jackson had a very nice stretch after he came over in 2010 and was at least better than league average with the Sox in 2011.

Contrary to the 2nd half of the Swisher trade, I think KW actually did a nice job with the 2nd half of the Jackson trade. In the end, he netted a possible back half of the rotation guy in Stewart, a couple of prospects, and an incredible salary dump of Teahen (this is obsured by the fact that the salary was KW's fault). When reviewing this trade properly, you have to include Teahen's 2012 salary. That's the same as the Blue Jays handing KW a $5.5MM check.

vinny
01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Having a bullpen with Frasor and Crain. Something slightly humorous to take the bad taste out of September 2011.